Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Incidents > problems is probably the best reason to separate the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Salesforce, WHY CAN"T I EVER loving ESCAPE YOU.

In every org, someone figures out I know the most minimal amount of information about salesforce and salesforce security. In every org, I get sucked into it like a black hole just formed under my feet. This past time, I didn't even say the word salesforce. Someone (the person who got me the job) narc'd on me.

:fuckoff:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

Salesforce, WHY CAN"T I EVER loving ESCAPE YOU.

In every org, someone figures out I know the most minimal amount of information about salesforce and salesforce security. In every org, I get sucked into it like a black hole just formed under my feet. This past time, I didn't even say the word salesforce. Someone (the person who got me the job) narc'd on me.

:fuckoff:

More importantly, how is your new CISO?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They had Salesforce at my last job but it was barely used and ultimately abandoned. They have it at my new job and the person responsible for it quit a few months ago so I had to roll up my sleeves and figure out the basics.

It seems to have all the pitfalls of a web-based database and few advantages. There's alot of old-fashioned interface design, weird and inconsistent calc field syntax, clumsy layout tools... :smith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

More importantly, how is your new CISO?

He is much like every CISO of a public traded company I have ever known. He only gives a poo poo about ticket queue metrics (for the soc and other groups who do tickets) and normal infosec bullshit. He is maybe the easiest CISO I have ever worked for and the department hasn't had a single person leave in 6 years despite having 100+ infosec employees.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

the department hasn't had a single person leave in 6 years despite having 100+ infosec employees.

:eyepop:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

My dream job would be some sort of amalgamation where you do like 50% customer support, 25% system admin and 25% security work and actually get paid well to do it.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think you’re right on the customer support roles. It sounds like being a AWS TAM is exactly what your dream job is. Some sort of advanced customer support that requires the technology chops.

This is correct. The funny thing about being a TAM, and what separates the good TAMs from the great TAMs, is that a great TAM recognizes that at the end of the day the interactions between people are what make the world go 'round. There are plenty of technical experts who can python the poo poo out of a Lambda function, but put those folk in front of a customer and it's beep boop your algorithm does not compute. What makes a TAM a great TAM is the ability to earn trust. When it's three AM and shits on fire yo, you want a TAM on the end of the line that is empathetic, sympathetic, cool and collected: "Hey $customer, man it sucks that you are hard down and I bet you are getting all kinds of poo poo from your bosses to get things up as fast as possible. Let me marshal all the mighty AWS resources together to get you back up and running as soon as possible."

Then you go tech the poo poo out of things.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think I'd like to work for AWS one day?

I do a lot with security work within AWS, heavily use a lot of the security services day to day, and would love to do nothing but that. Instead I end up babysitting a lot of teams and explaining to them why they shouldn't have wide open security groups for their instances or asking why they keep making rogue IAM users.

Thats probably the job at AWS too though. But if they paid me more!

At AWS you'll work with some of the smartest people on the planet (let me tell you sometime about the time I interviewed a literal rocket scientist for a networking role here!). But your customers will still be idiots and you'll still have to have the Security Group Talk with them at least once a year.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That sounds exactly what I would think of as my dream job. Definitely will try to train into it later down the road.

Don't wait. Start applying for jobs now and, assuming you get to the phone screen stage, you'll get direct and actionable feedback and an invitation to try again in 6-9 months. I applied for nineteen jobs to land a role (java developer? HR manager? wtf?). Rather than finding it desperate, they loved my enthusiasm and drive for working at AWS.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

My company does not do much with AWS, but they have been poaching people from us. Not really front line support, but more people who were high level customer focused problem solvers. I am guessing that for the right person they will throw a lot of training their way.

AWS is looking for individuals with the right TAM instincts. Prove that you have those and we'll train the poo poo out of you, believe me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agrikk posted:

AWS is looking for individuals with the right TAM instincts. Prove that you have those and we'll train the poo poo out of you, believe me.

Man you're tempting me to go back to being a TAM. I really like that part of my job and hate the parts of my job that are "everything is hosed plz fix also this better not affect your sprint metrics."

But that's down to idiot customers looking at a $250/hr consulting rate and thinking "yes this person is clearly a DBA that is what they should be doing all day" and then they complain about my rates constantly :sigh:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

He is maybe the easiest CISO I have ever worked for and the department hasn't had a single person leave in 6 years despite having 100+ infosec employees.

Are they hiring? :11tea:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Agrikk posted:

This is correct. The funny thing about being a TAM, and what separates the good TAMs from the great TAMs, is that a great TAM recognizes that at the end of the day the interactions between people are what make the world go 'round. There are plenty of technical experts who can python the poo poo out of a Lambda function, but put those folk in front of a customer and it's beep boop your algorithm does not compute. What makes a TAM a great TAM is the ability to earn trust. When it's three AM and shits on fire yo, you want a TAM on the end of the line that is empathetic, sympathetic, cool and collected: "Hey $customer, man it sucks that you are hard down and I bet you are getting all kinds of poo poo from your bosses to get things up as fast as possible. Let me marshal all the mighty AWS resources together to get you back up and running as soon as possible."

Then you go tech the poo poo out of things.

This is the way. My job is 1/3 sympathy, bad jokes and dog talk, 1/3 interpreting and explaining the technology, and 1/3 fixing the technology.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Sickening posted:

He is maybe the easiest CISO I have ever worked for and the department hasn't had a single person leave in 6 years despite having 100+ infosec employees.

I would bet money this is impossible

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

IDK, you can make REALLY strong shackles with modern metallurgy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

i am a moron posted:

So far it seems legit. They are really big on making sure comp is up to date and apparently have for a long time. They appear to shackle people with money and that seems to work.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sickening posted:

So far it seems legit. They are really big on making sure comp is up to date and apparently have for a long time. They appear to shackle people with money and that seems to work.

I see it is your turn in the dream pod.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's been Sickening's turn like 10 times now and then a month later we get some wacky amazing story and it all blows up.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Internet Explorer posted:

It's been Sickening's turn like 10 times now and then a month later we get some wacky amazing story and it all blows up.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Today I learned Juniper and Force10 switches have different CLI's vs Cisco ones. My knowledge is useless!!!

JunOS is great if for no other reason than commit confirm 5 which might save you a walk of shame to reboot the switch

Just wait till you use something like Arista that is close, but not quite, Cisco CLI. Sitting there wondering why this command won't work only to realize it's sightly different for some reason.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Junos lets you do a 'replace pattern' on the config as well :swoon:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Nah, this one is going to be different, I can feel it.

All 3 of my jobs a good jobs at the moment and life is good.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I've been asked to do more project management and step away from day to day customer interactions. I am happy with the work but it really feels like I'm doing nothing. I guess the hustle of working helpdesk for so long has me thinking that "idle time = no work and I'm going to get fired". I was given this task because I've already shown that I can lead a project and keep everyone organized. That part is actually pretty easy for me because if you think about it, working a trouble ticket is kind of a mini project in a way. I know others have said that once they moved up, the tasks became fewer and there was just more responsibility.

Remind me of this when I have 4 projects on the go and pulling my hair out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My boss's boss just got a new boss, newly created position. It's the new CTO's buddy who has been "consulting" for us since the new CTO got here. This should be good.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

My boss's boss just got a new boss, newly created position. It's the new CTO's buddy who has been "consulting" for us since the new CTO got here. This should be good.

Since they like cronyism, see if there’s a spot for me anywhere. I finally had to go back to the bar and got Covid 3 weeks in. Passed Sec+, studying for Net+ now

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

poo poo man, sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better. Good job with Sec+, though. I absolutely would if I had any cachet with our InfoSec team. They don't have any open positions, but I will keep an eye out. There is a Desktop Support position open, but oof. Frankly, this place loving sucks and I have told friends that I wouldn't refer them here unless they were really, really desperate.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

poo poo man, sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better. Good job with Sec+, though. I absolutely would if I had any cachet with our InfoSec team. They don't have any open positions, but I will keep an eye out. There is a Desktop Support position open, but oof. Frankly, this place loving sucks and I have told friends that I wouldn't refer them here unless they were really, really desperate.

Lol no worries. I was in the “lucky” category of sick for 3-4 days, lingering cough/shittiness for a week or so, and now almost totally recovered.

On the advice of a friend, I’m branching out from just looking for security roles, jr sysadmin and even helpdesk. The whole reason I went back to the bar was to build up a big enough nest egg to be able to take a pay cut if I have to, so I’m gonna stack up cash all summer and then just take anything to get that most recent job on my resume to not say “bartender/bar manager.”

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

:yotj:

I think it's real, just got all the onboarding stuff to fill out, starting new job Monday and buying a boat 2 weeks later; the boat thing is bullshit but the paycheck I get will be very nice.

Still have Senior Systems Engineer as my title but the 50% pay bump is going to make it so loving sweet. Also imposter syndrome has definitely set in and I have no clue why the hired me.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hell yea.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MF_James posted:

:yotj:

I think it's real, just got all the onboarding stuff to fill out, starting new job Monday and buying a boat 2 weeks later; the boat thing is bullshit but the paycheck I get will be very nice.

Still have Senior Systems Engineer as my title but the 50% pay bump is going to make it so loving sweet. Also imposter syndrome has definitely set in and I have no clue why the hired me.

At first I read this as "this is bullshit they're making me buy a boat" and then I realized that's not what you mean.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I did it. I finally found a worse recruiter message than that one from a crypto startup that wants to tie NFTs to physical products using "nano-scale diamonds".

quote:

SUBJECT: "Twitter exec's new startup; already >450k on waitlist"

Hope all is well! I’m working directly with the Cofounder (a former Twitter Engineering exec) of an early stage startup with $20M in funding and a team of top-tier exTwitter/Google talent. Their platform recently went viral providing them with an >450k person waitlist which translates to ~$35M n monthly recurring revenue (~$420M/year). They've charted an incredibly short path to an over $1B valuation based on revenue alone.

The Founder is currently looking to make a few critical engineering hires, one of which specifically aligns exceptionally well with your background & expertise.

If you're open to a quick chat, let me know and I'll reply with my Calendly to find a time at your convenience.

Of note:

• At no point does she actually say what the company name is, what they do, what their product is, or even a vague hint at what specific "space" they're in.
  • "aligns exceptionally well with your background & expertise" tells me this was just blasted out to a few thousand engineers who matched a cursory keyword search (if they were even that picky). What skills would I need to use here? What would I even be doing?
  • Name dropping to the extreme, almost to the point of worshipping Google and Twitter.
  • Valuation is all that matters.
  • That valuation, though, is all smoke and mirrors. Note that the revenue numbers cited are entirely based on this waiting list she harps on. They aren't actually taking that in.
  • Why is there such a massive waiting list anyway? Seems like you didn't plan to scale at all and I can only imagine what a nightmare it must be to be working there right now. It has to be like trying to upgrade a 16th century caravel to a modern super-yacht, but the captain got his other rich captain friends to tow the ship at 60 knots to "help" while you try to make the upgrade.
  • The capitalization of "The Founder" got an eyeroll that I'm pretty sure strained a muscle in my face.

It's everything I hate about VCs, startups, and recruiters distilled into a single message.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The capitalization of "The Founder" got an eyeroll that I'm pretty sure strained a muscle in my face.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this (my wife and I are in the middle of season 3 right now...).

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I did it. I finally found a worse recruiter message than that one from a crypto startup that wants to tie NFTs to physical products using "nano-scale diamonds".

Of note:

• "aligns exceptionally well with your background & expertise" tells me this was just blasted out to a few thousand engineers who matched a cursory keyword search (if they were even that picky). What skills would I need to use here? What would I even be doing?

It's everything I hate about VCs, startups, and recruiters distilled into a single message.

I learned recently from a recruiter that was 'familiar with my work at $My_Company' that I had all the qualities they look for as a franchisee for a company who franchises high end nail salons. And here I was thinking that all the time I spend biting my nails on conference calls was wasted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol perforce bought puppet.

:rip:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Got an email about that yesterday since I work at one of their biggest partners. Perforces products look like a giant pile of poo poo so Puppet should fit right in.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Their platform recently went viral providing them with an >450k person waitlist

This is Truth Social, isn't it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Today has been so drat busy but I managed to stay ahead of it and I have everything squared away in time for today's free lunch.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I’m pretty sure I am getting an offer this week and the worst part is going to be stalling for a last round interview for another role that might pay more.

I am so checked out at my current role. Today I followed up on one time sensitive issue and then played Final Fantasy XIV. This is what happens when I get the workload of two engineers and an entire telephony help desk but when I ask how the compensation is changing I get told there is no room in the budget. :shrug: Y’all had the budget for the two guys that left.

Part of me wants to just quit without giving my two weeks once the time is right but I’ve never done that before. And there are two people in the org I genuinely like and respect who would be the tiniest bit inconvenienced by that (no sarcasm, they are in tertiary disciplines to telephony).

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I know some boomers that got mortally offended any time we had people quit without a two weeks, but the organization would do it to you in a heartbeat and this is the right to work hellscape these idiots wanted so if an employer pissed me off badly enough I’d probably just stop working and wait til the checks stopped cashing. Just quitting with 0 notice would also rule though

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My pile of severance cash finally showed up after I called them out on the way the agreement is written.

Dumbasses clearly copy-pasted different sections of legalese and didn't think about how they interact with each other, thought they had 10 business days to send it over (it was really 3). I don't get being petty trying to take as long as you're allowed anyway, I'd want to get it over with and not have to continue interacting with a clearly pissed off now-former-employee.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I quit without notice, well vacationed my two weeks, and it felt great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I took 2 weeks off after my wife delivered our stillborn child. Company was totally cool with that and their policy says fathers get 6 weeks of leave. I didn't want to not work for 6 weeks especially without actually having a kid at home so I figured I could just bank that time to use later as a treat for my wife and I but they're fighting pretty hard to say I don't actually qualify for it and would instead need to use my banked PTO (which is a whopping 9 hours), bereavement leave, and sick leave if I wanted more time.

I'm hoping it's a miscommunication and they didn't think I wanted more time after paternity leave, but I can't seem to get through that I was only gone for 2 weeks and would like to be entitled to the additional 4.

I've been at this job for a little over a month and while it's cool and I'm learning a bit, my boss is way too busy and hasn't been able to train as much as he probably should. Like, I'm given entire weeks to set up this app through a Server 2019 instance with IIS and SQL integration. So a lot of twiddling of thumbs. Really wish I was in the mindset to crack down on some more school, but the thought of that right now makes me sick. Worst case scenario is I'm being paid twice as what I was making at my last job doing half as much work, and that wasn't even a notable amount...