Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trabant posted:

Oh, we would've loved drinking gin from a box! We had to suck on the bar rag the bartender would discard at the end of his shift, and we were thankful for it!

Bar rag? You were lucky! Best we could do was drink out of the muddy slough with the juniper bush growing nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nice poster made by an extremely racist Englishman.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Nice poster made by an extremely racist Englishman.

Britain being anywhere at all on the positive version really shows the hand of the creator. No real country is delusional enough to put themselves on it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zereth posted:

If you actually track how much he's drinking in the books it's, like, a shitload.

Most people in the 50s through the 80s were high-functioning alcoholics/Druggies.
People popped pill after pill, or snorted coke. Your average person walked around, at a minimum, buzzed, just to tolerate the day to day life.

But see, it was okay because Alcohol was accepted, and pills were prescribed, so they had legitimacy.
Cocaine was a white man's drug(from their POV) so it was okay!

None of that dirty dirty weed for us!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I knew about the shaking cracking up the ice diluting the drink and always just thought it was intentional. So it would look like he's relaxing and having a good time but he's actually drinking vodka flavored water and staying sharp.

I've read that it was intentional, but not to stay sharper. Bond is not remotely a high-society guy who reads every nuance of a white-tie event; he's just a blunt instrument for MI6. It's a small tell that he isn't perfect and orders a poor man's idea of a rich man's drink. In the books, especially early on, he was more of a working man shoved into challenging situations than the impossibly suave movie Bond, and the little martini bit stuck as a catchphrase.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Nah the bartender was a woman.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Phosphine posted:

Britain being anywhere at all on the positive version really shows the hand of the creator. No real country is delusional enough to put themselves on it.

I would actually guess they’re American and are thinking of some idealized Bobbie twirling a baton because cops on knife crime island don’t have guns

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phosphine posted:

The exception is the Bristol scale.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

I mean if yhe British chef was Heston i'd be happy still.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The exception is the Bristol scale.

I still maintain The Bristol Six would be a great name for a punk band.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
What does God need with a police force?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

uber_stoat posted:

those ladies weren't just jumped up animals like most of the poo poo witchers fight. more like demigods. a witcher-style "outside context problem."

this is a good reference :)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Melaneus posted:

Jesus was american, and by the transient property of the holy trinity being one and the same that means that god is an American, and therefore is afraid of minorities.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still maintain The Bristol Six would be a great name for a punk band.

The Six Bristols

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's also been happening for pretty much all of human history and was (if anything) much much worse in the past. Don't forget that the English made fun of Napoleon's alleged lack of height for centuries even though it was apparently just propaganda anyway.

The Vikings went even further and took that whole "You can't be a real man unless you have a big dick" thing way too seriously

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/10/artsandhumanities.research

that article posted:

To complicate matters further, Phelpstead found evidence in the stories that it was as unmanly to have an outsized penis as an undersized one. In the 13th-century Njal's Saga, the warrior Hrutr Herjolfsson is cursed by a jealous queen with an erection too big for intercourse with his bride

:same:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Some extremely English Boomer energy to this one. Needs more jpeg compression to make the rounds on Facebook, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I don't see what's so funny.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

tribbledirigible posted:

Boo this man

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tribbledirigible posted:

Turn off your monitor

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Fartbox posted:

Actually that haircut has been super popular in europe for like 10 years, fuckin everyone has it here, and America is always slow to adapt fashion

Look america is guilty of many sins but do you really want us doing like Europe in the tiny swimsuits on dudes arena?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Slippery posted:

Look america is guilty of many sins but do you really want us doing like Europe in the tiny swimsuits on dudes arena?

What? you dont like speedos on hairy, balding, potbellied 50+ year old men?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Melaneus posted:

What does Hell need with a kitchen?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

tribbledirigible posted:

It's... Bilingual

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Please do not lick the playground equipment

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wonder if he brought the fuckton of heroin.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

tight aspirations posted:

Pffft. Look at Mr Fancy-pants with his bottle. I drink it straight from the tap on the box.

imagine not having a mobile pub with a tap that dispenses gin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpJAOuz-wVw&t=60s

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Wow James Bond is a rude rear end in a top hat to service staff. gently caress him.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

To gently caress with the gluttons

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Railing Kill posted:

Some extremely English Boomer energy to this one. Needs more jpeg compression to make the rounds on Facebook, though.

Just print out the picture, take a photo of it, then scan it back in grayscale to get that true Boomer feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SSnQBtaq4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A neighbourhood.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Unrelated:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Doc Hawkins posted:

this is nothing compared to the passage about rendering blubber where Ishmael waxes rhapsodic at everyone shoving their hands into some oily vat and endlessly squeezing out the squeezings of the whale flesh until no one can even tell whose hand is whose

the greek tragedy chapter is pretty good

QI once made the point that, before the trial of Oscar Wilde, it was perfectly common for men to hold hands, sit in each others' laps and tell each other how much they loved them.

After Wilde was sentenced to hard labour, lost nearly everything and died just five years later from the terrible conditions he had experienced in gaol, no one else wanted to risk having their lives destroyed and it just all stopped.

I wonder how much of today's toxic masculinity was formed in that time when men had their ability to express positive emotions and affection taken from them.

EDIT: Moby Dick was written in 1851 and Oscar Wilde's trial was in 1895 so it tracks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Nah the bartender was a woman.

...with a HOOK!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

why bother with all that when you can just have Enrique surgically attachstrap one of these to his chest?

Ok but what is this called and where can I buy one?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

:sympathy:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok but what is this called and where can I buy one?

It's a mini campaign safari bar AKA field bar

They also come in standard and "Field Marshall" sizes: https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/storage-case-pieces/desks/british-field-marshals-campaign-desk/id-f_6581993/