Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ygolonac posted:

Oh hey, I think I found Rob's model for that Captain America picture. :nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zTF_ZIq8U

I've always thought it was this iconic picture of Arnold, and he just screwed up the proportions badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Say Nothing posted:

I've always thought it was this iconic picture of Arnold, and he just screwed up the proportions badly Liefeld gonna Liefeld.

I know, low-hanging fruit, et cetera...

Have some Tim Truman as penance.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Paty Cockrum's art didn't really work on Amazing Spider-Man.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Push El Burrito posted:

Paty Cockrum's art didn't really work on Amazing Spider-Man.

Love the writing, though! The fat woman thinks she is not inferior to the handsome man. Hah, the nerve!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A few issues later he tells MJ he was reluctant at first meeting her because her aunt kept saying she had a "great personality".

Pete was kind of a dick in the 80s.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Reminds me of the Ctrl+Alt+Del plotline where one of the characters goes on a date with a... Gasp... Fat girl! But it turns out she's super cool, and he's struggling with the fact that he might like a... Gasp... Fat girl! And he was all ready to tell her it's just not working out when she revealed that she was wearing a fat suit the entire date to make sure he's not shallow person, and they proceed to date because he can get it up now that he knows she is not really a disgusting fatty after all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Push El Burrito posted:

A few issues later he tells MJ he was reluctant at first meeting her because her aunt kept saying she had a "great personality".

Pete was kind of a dick in the 80s.

I think that's just an accurate recap of what he was doing in the 60s. MJ didn't appear out of the blue, there was the lead-up in prior issues where they would show her, but obscured, as Peter tried to avoid meeting her. That's part of the appeal of her famous "jackpot" line because before Peter opens the door he's basically like "oh god, here we gooooholy poo poo!"

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
X-men, webcomics edition!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lobok posted:

I think that's just an accurate recap of what he was doing in the 60s. MJ didn't appear out of the blue, there was the lead-up in prior issues where they would show her, but obscured, as Peter tried to avoid meeting her. That's part of the appeal of her famous "jackpot" line because before Peter opens the door he's basically like "oh god, here we gooooholy poo poo!"

Plus, Pete was a dick in the '60s, too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Plus, Pete was a dick in the '60s, too.

Yeah, I wasn't clear but that's what I meant. He wasn't just a dick in the 80s, he was recalling how he was a dick in the 60s.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Peter was the usual "the world owes me everything" teen in the 60s. In the 80s he has gone full Reaganite.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Good? Bad? Whatever you decide, Frank Miller will sell you this original piece for $9,000.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Good? Bad? Whatever you decide, Frank Miller will sell you this original piece for $9,000.

I’m glad to see Miller’s doing more coherent work again.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

This Salad Fingers reboot is loving weird.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.
Here's a couple I've seen this month.

This one is from Previews for an upcoming title in the continuing adventures of bizarre looking children:

And the award for the most awkward/wooden kiss goes to The Man of Steel himself on the main cover for #4:

What's amazing about it is that neither one of them looks to be kissing the other.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's pretty standard, though. Like maybe their aim is a little off but on movie posters and book covers the characters are ever so close to kissing without actually kissing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That FF cover is a throwback to 1999 or so when Valeria was a teenager from the future and Doom raised her or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What the gently caress is going on with Franklin's head

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Sal Larocca has become an increasingly worse artist in the 20 years since he last drew that book.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

site posted:

Unstable Follicles™

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

site posted:

Harelip.

Lobok posted:

That's pretty standard, though. Like maybe their aim is a little off but on movie posters and book covers the characters are ever so close to kissing without actually kissing.

They look more like they are sleeping than kissing. Like two action figures being pressed together to make them kiss.

Hobo Grandpa fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 27, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That makes it hotter :stare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one can touch Del Mundo on covers these days. Winter Soldier #11

Reminds me of 70s sci fi book covers

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ecavalli posted:

I’m glad to see Miller’s doing more coherent work again.

Ironically hiding his work with splattered ink is the most choerent thing Miller could do at this point

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ironically hiding his work with splattered ink is the most choerent thing Miller could do at this point

That’s not spattered ink, it’s just blood the colorist hasn’t gotten to yet.

“THIS...IS...SUBSTANDARD!”
>Editor kicks Miller’s latest work down bottomless pit<

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly, putting aside the quality of Miller's art skill, I just don't get the splatter. If he wanted to add a little artistic flair to the image with an ink splatter, why go overboard like that? You can barely make out most of Superman's body, nullifying most of the work he did. Why do it at this stage, and not during color? And what thematic reason relating to Superman is there for that ink splatter, anyway?

It really just looks like he hosed up and spilled ink on a drawing and now he's trying to cash in on it anyway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

It is extremely Chris Foss/Peter Elson.

Man, now I wanna haul out my book of 70's SF novel illustrations. And my other book of Roger Dean album covers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly, putting aside the quality of Miller's art skill, I just don't get the splatter. If he wanted to add a little artistic flair to the image with an ink splatter, why go overboard like that? You can barely make out most of Superman's body, nullifying most of the work he did. Why do it at this stage, and not during color? And what thematic reason relating to Superman is there for that ink splatter, anyway?

It really just looks like he hosed up and spilled ink on a drawing and now he's trying to cash in on it anyway.

Look man if you can make Campbell's soup cans into expensive art by showing them in different colors some rich white moron will buy a picture of sups with paint splatter on it at an outrageous price

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

This is a homage of an actual book cover, isn't it? Because I'm sure I've got seen this exact cover on a Heinlein or Asimov book somewhere.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's to distract you from that right arm/hand.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The answer to that question (and all questions regarding Miller's work over the prior two decades) is "9/11 broke his loving brain."

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Apparently the Invisible Woman is a Liefield Jenny Mcarthy Clone.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

unruly posted:

Behold....the uniboob.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Madkal posted:

Behold....the uniboob.
It's literally the size of her head. Without the "vaccine's cause autism" haircut, I'd say it's probably larger.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Miller (rightfully) catches a ton of poo poo and was never the world's greatest draftsman but his work on Daredevil, Ronin, TDKR and Sin City really did transcend the medium and dragged it into another level of storytelling that hadn't been seen in a LONG while and was much needed. Klaus Janson and others did a ton of the heavy lifting for sure, but his story boarding for a while was about the bedfst I've ever seen and it just bums me out a little that one of the true revolutionaries of the medium is viewed as a tired joke these days.

I mean, he IS, no question anymore but his contributions to the craft are pretty strong.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

unruly posted:

the "vaccine's cause autism" haircut

Lmao

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

unruly posted:

It's literally the size of her head. Without the "vaccine's cause autism" haircut, I'd say it's probably larger.

Unrealistic art! We can’t even see her rear end at the same time as her boobs! I know Re3d’s the stretchy one, but this is possible for all female supers. I’ve seen it’s possible from a whole bunch of floppy covers from the late ‘90s!

Seriously, have these artists even studied the human form, especially how female bits work in motion? There’s a reason sports bras are so popular.

The “vaccines = autism” haircut is much better than my take, the “I’d like to speak to your manager” ‘do.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

unruly posted:

I think we've seen this one before - wasn't it the fault of a crappy colorist, and the original drawing looks fine?

BiggerBoat posted:

Miller (rightfully) catches a ton of poo poo and was never the world's greatest draftsman but his work on Daredevil, Ronin, TDKR and Sin City really did transcend the medium and dragged it into another level of storytelling that hadn't been seen in a LONG while and was much needed. Klaus Janson and others did a ton of the heavy lifting for sure, but his story boarding for a while was about the bedfst I've ever seen and it just bums me out a little that one of the true revolutionaries of the medium is viewed as a tired joke these days.

I mean, he IS, no question anymore but his contributions to the craft are pretty strong.

I still love his older work, and I remember in context how important they were. But sadly, to me, anyway, his older work DOES suffer to some degree as a result of his recent work. I look at a lot of the bizarre, questionable stuff he's doing now, and when I look back, it's pretty much what he's always been doing, only now it's turned up to 11.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean the ink splatters are bad but I really love how weird his art is these days. His solo backups in DK3 were pretty wild and awesome.