Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Speaking of The Power of Love, it's pretty awesome that ALL THREE Back to the Future movies are on Netflix. I loved BTTF2 the most when I was a kid because I really thought there would be flying cars in 2015, and it excited me so much to see into the future like that. No flying cars but swap out the kids constantly using virtual reality devices for smartphones and it's pretty accurate. Also, Marty is WAY TOO convincing in drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

computer parts posted:

That's not really "Power of Love" unless you're also willing to call The Odyssey that.

You're right I like the movie now

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

wafflesnsegways posted:

You're right I like the movie now

-_- you gotta at least be a lil engaged in talking to other people. Otherwise what's the point

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

computer parts posted:

That's not really "Power of Love" unless you're also willing to call The Odyssey that.

I haven't seen 12YaS yet, but I've read the Odyssey. I'm not sure you have, if you think Odysseus' defining trait is loving his family. He's pretty much synonymous with being wily as gently caress. For gently caress's sake, he didn't defeat Troy by hugging it and saying he missed it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chichevache posted:

I haven't seen 12YaS yet, but I've read the Odyssey. I'm not sure you have, if you think Odysseus' defining trait is loving his family. He's pretty much synonymous with being wily as gently caress. For gently caress's sake, he didn't defeat Troy by hugging it and saying he missed it.

Yeah, that's my point. The Odyssey is from a surface level about a dude returning to his family but it's actually about him going through hell and barely surviving the encounter.

Although him and his son do have a joyous bonding experience when murdering all of his wife's suitors.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

computer parts posted:

Yeah, that's my point. The Odyssey is from a surface level about a dude returning to his family but it's actually about him going through hell and barely surviving the encounter.

Although him and his son do have a joyous bonding experience when murdering all of his wife's suitors.

That parts rly funny

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

-_- you gotta at least be a lil engaged in talking to other people. Otherwise what's the point

I think he gave a pretty well reasoned explanation for why he found 12 YAS to be hollow oscar bait that didn't resonate with him. I don't think arguing about what constitutes 'Power of Love' is engaging in anything worthwhile.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

I think he gave a pretty well reasoned explanation for why he found 12 YAS to be hollow oscar bait that didn't resonate with him. I don't think arguing about what constitutes 'Power of Love' is engaging in anything worthwhile.

Well, the problem I have with it is their explanation/reading is like based on their definition of the Power of Love. But (as computer parts brought up) the definition could equally invalidate The Odyssey and that creates an issue. So like, if they actually wanted to defend their reading they could've drawn something in the ground to explain why they feel it applies to one & not the other or just said that they believe The Odyssey is garbage for the same reason.
Shrugging & saying *teen voice* "yeah whatever" is a refusal to communicate which especially sucks because it suggests there's no interest in forming a legitimate opinion.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 2, 2016

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I tried to talk through my feelings about the movie in a way that I thought might be interesting. If you really liked the movie id love to hear about your experience with it. But if you're gonna nitpick my "argument" (which is just me trying my best to explain my feelings) why should I loving bother?

"That thing you didn't like about the movie? Here's an entirely different thing that does something similar, and people like that thing." Uh, OK. What's a good response to that?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
His point was about the irrelevancy of the Power of Love nonsense. He was saying the motivation of the main character, his backstory, love of his wife, etc, from which we get the drama didn't address any of the things he thought would have made it feel less hollow, presumably the topics he mentioned, societal level oppression and slavery as the foundation of the southern economy.

Addressing his point about whether that would make a better movie would be engaging him in a discussion. Talking about the exact definition of Power of Love seems to be sidestepping him entirely, and his snarky response doesn't surprise me.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
He's apparently capable of defending himself and I don't want to put words in his mouth, so I'll let him do that, I'm just annoyed when someone puts effort into a post and is dismissed by this forums annoying habit of movie argument sophistry.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

wafflesnsegways posted:

Birdman wasn't likely to win, but it's part of the larger problem. It was made to impress people, not to connect with people.

How do you know? And more importantly, does it matter? At least half of what Orson Welles did was showing off. He was out to wow you, not bare his soul.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well, the problem I have with it is their explanation/reading is like based on their definition of the Power of Love. But (as computer parts brought up) the definition could equally invalidate The Odyssey and that creates an issue. So like, if they actually wanted to defend their reading they could've drawn something in the ground to explain why they feel it applies to one & not the other or just said that they believe The Odyssey is garbage for the same reason.
Shrugging & saying *teen voice* "yeah whatever" is a refusal to communicate which especially sucks because it suggests there's no interest in forming a legitimate opinion.

I probably didn't explain it very well and it's not like I have some big broader theory about it. But basically, I felt like it wasn't a three dimensional main character, and his defining trait was that he loved his family, which I think is emblematic of the how barebones it was. (Chiwetel Ejiofor did an amazing job with what he had to work with though and that covered up a certain amount of the writing problems.)

(Maybe I shouldn't have put "The Power of Love" in capital letters or even brought it up at all because honestly it's not a huge part of why I didn't like the movie, just a small gripe.)

I'm not interested in talking about the odyssey because I don't give a poo poo and I doubt very many here do either.

Did you like the movie?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
yes but what should i watch on streaming

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Edminster posted:

I hear 12 Years a Slave is really good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sarchasm posted:

I hear 12 Years a Slave is really good.

I'm not in the mood for a love story, can you recommend something grimdark instead?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Oscar Bait = A critically-acclaimed movie that wafflesnsegways doesn't like

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I just watched Kagemusha on Netflix and holy hell i just want to say that right now it feels like every other movie I've ever seen was made by an amateur. Incredible movie and Kurosawa owns

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Mover posted:

I just watched Kagemusha on Netflix and holy hell i just want to say that right now it feels like every other movie I've ever seen was made by an amateur. Incredible movie and Kurosawa owns

Now go watch Ran, it's visually incredible and my favorite of his color movies. It was on the streaming services but I think it got taken off a while ago unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwP_kXyd-Rw

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

hihifellow posted:

Now go watch Ran, it's visually incredible and my favorite of his color movies. It was on the streaming services but I think it got taken off a while ago unfortunately.

It's on Hulu along with a few other of his movies.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Edminster posted:

Lethal Weapon 1-4

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

hihifellow posted:

Kurosawa himself said Kagemusha was merely a dress rehearsal for Ran. From what I remember there's some battles in Kagemusha that you only see through the reaction of the main character (they had no money to film them); well, Ran did have the money to show the battles and it's as glorious as you would expect battle scenes directed by Akira Kurosawa to be. Spielberg borrowed a minor bit for Saving Private Ryan (a soldier confusedly picking up his own severed arm).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Ran is so beautiful I had to watch it twice. The first time I was staring at the scenery so much I missed the subtitles half the time. :swoon:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I love Kagemusha. I'm not sure it's a great introductory Kurosawa movie - it really feels like a culmination, like he's putting all of his most epic ideas into one big piece. (Still haven't seen Ran and can't wait to.)

Basically, watch Kagemusha, and if you like it, watch more Kurosawa, and if you don't like it, watch more Kurosawa.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Accident Underwater posted:

It's on Hulu along with a few other of his movies.

They're showing the restored version at the Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley next Friday. I have my tickets already :smug:

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

They're showing the restored version at the Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley next Friday. I have my tickets already :smug:

I caught it at the NY Film Forum, it's really awesome.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Nobody's sung the praises of Happy Valley in a while, so I will. It's great TV; a compelling character drama that's able to maintain a bleak tone throughout without falling into grimdark ridiculousness or becoming too oppressive. Well acted, well scored... maybe I don't watch a lot of TV but the last time that I was this into a crime drama was The Wire.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The mighty morphin power rangers movie aka the best movie ever loving made is on HBO go now.

You're welcome :colbert:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yeah, I've read his memoir. I highly recommend it. It's very short, you can read it over lunch. After he escaped he toured the abolitionist circles telling his story, and there's a good chance that someone targeted him for it.

The Power of Love thing is where the main character's main trait is how much they love their family, and that's what pulls them through to the happy ending. It's just generic fill-in-the-blanks writing.

Look, I love my Hollywood bullshit as much as the next person, but it doesn't belong here. Slavery in America is a really fascinating and disturbing topic, and one that America hasnt really grappled with properly. I don't like that 12 Years a Slave uses the narrative we tell middle schoolers to prop up another version of the Hero's Journey, and then gets treated like it has something important to say.

I mean, if I had a 13 year old I might show them the movie and talk to them about it, but at the end of the day it's a so-so story built on a so-so understanding of slavery.
I dunno about the power of love.. But he sure had everything in his life taken from him, and had nothing else to go on but a vaguely defined goal to want to get it back. That's pretty basic, just not something you'll see on a cross-stich over the toilet in your grandmom's bathroom.

Chichevache posted:

Odysseus was not about the power of love, it was about Getting Back What's His, he kills a fuckload of people just for hanging out in his house and trying to bang his wife.

I also don't remember the part where Odysseus defeated Troy, maybe you're mixing him up with Gerard Butler? I mean there was that one time he dressed up like a woman and snuck into Troy to steal the Paladium or some poo poo, but other than building a big wooden horse...

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 3, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
12YAS is not a film about slavery, i.e., it's not about the past. It's about America's particular racial caste system.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Maxwell Lord posted:

At least half of what Orson Welles did was showing off. He was out to wow you, not bare his soul.
Long Hot Summer

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

coyo7e posted:

Odysseus was not about the power of love, it was about Getting Back What's His, he kills a fuckload of people just for hanging out in his house and trying to bang his wife.

I also don't remember the part where Odysseus defeated Troy, maybe you're mixing him up with Gerard Butler? I mean there was that one time he dressed up like a woman and snuck into Troy to steal the Paladium or some poo poo, but other than building a big wooden horse...

How is building the wooden horse not Odysseus defeating the Trojans? Because of his plan the Argives storm Priam's city and destroy it. Without Odysseus that war is lost and Agamemnon's alliance crumbles after the death of Achilles. Are you conflating the Siege of Troy with 300's depiction of the Battle of Thermopylae, or is this a joke? Sean Bean plays Odysseus in the Troy movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Sean Bean always dies, that's a loser move

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Odysseus is a major player in both The Iliad and The Odyssey, and I think a handful of people in here have their wires crossed as to which is which.

Iliad: The siege of Troy, where the Greeks (of whom Odysseus is a high-ranking leader) eventually sack the city.
Odyssey: Odysseus fucks around on the Mediterranean for ten years attempting to get home after the war.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Okay, if we're done with the aside about movies that aren't streaming, there's this Ethiopian drama from 2014 called Difret up and if you're into dust-of-the-earth international cinema and social realism, you'll dig it.

It's about what happens when modern litigation collides with antiquated cultural traditions, creating the perfect storm of bureaucratic bullshit in the face of injustice: A teenage girl is charged with the murder of a man who abducted and raped her, and it's basically an uphill battle from there to not only see her exonerated, but to also serve justice without resulting in reactionary violence.

I'm not sure that technically it's much to shake a stick at, but there's this one scene around thirty-five minutes in with the village elders debating the situation which is absolutely riveting.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've been watching Prison Break on Netflix(UK) as background noise mostly for a few days starting with season 3 (I watched the first 2 when it aired) and whilst I enjoy the show despite it's ridiculousness I cant help but be put off by the amount of noise on display I don't know what they did but some shots are ridiculously grainy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sarchasm posted:

Odysseus is a major player in both The Iliad and The Odyssey, and I think a handful of people in here have their wires crossed as to which is which.

Iliad: The siege of Troy, where the Greeks (of whom Odysseus is a high-ranking leader) eventually sack the city.
Odyssey: Odysseus fucks around on the Mediterranean for ten years attempting to get home after the war.
The sacking of Troy (along with the Trojan Horse, etc.) occurs in the Oydssey, not in the Iliad. The Iliad ends before the war ends, and we learn about the end of the war in a flashback in the Odyssey. In fact it occurs in a flashback narrated by Odysseus so maybe he just made all that poo poo up and someone else thought up the horse. Or maybe there was no horse.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A hell of a lot of sources attribute Odysseus with being possibly the greatest liar in history, but few claim he was actually good at much besides maybe archery

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ran was really good. It's basically a feudal Japanese version of a Shakespeare play and it looks absolutely gorgeous. It's a bit on the long side, but definitely worth it. I watched it while multitasking and had no real trouble following along since most of the important characters either look ridiculous or are in helpfully color coded costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It's a shame that none of Kurosawa's noir stuff is on Netflix. As great as his samurai work is, I get the urge to watch High and Low or The Bad Sleep Well more often.