Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

Behold, Ar Lumiae, a GARGANTUAN GZDoom map that was started for Mapwich 2 and grew too big to handle.

I will take a look, but the '6 hours' comment scare me. The only way to be that long is going a gargantuan scope which makes issues too for the flow, clarity of progress, etc.

edit: there are slowdowns to 35 fps, eww.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Throw some intermission screens in there and call it a megawad jeeze.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Yeah that map is a work of incredible art, but I'll probably never get around to playing it. A 1 hour map is about my limit, I usually play Doom in small chunks.

Hope that the Doom streamers like Decino play it though, it deserves some attention.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Kins posted:

Behold, Ar Lumiae, a GARGANTUAN GZDoom map that was started for Mapwich 2 and grew too big to handle.

THIS
IS
DOOM

Barudak
May 7, 2007

10 to 20 minutes is my doom map sweet spot, with the occasional foray to the hour range. 2 hours is basically the absolute upper limit and you need to have like, new weapons or monsters or both to really make it work.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

At 6 hours you should just go the full distance and make a metroidvania tc.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Keiya posted:

:hmmyes:

It's impressive as one piece but if it lags performance then gently caress right off. It is weirdly demoralizing to run any form of classic DOOM with slowdown in 2020.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Keiya posted:

I've played a bit of it and yeah I don't know why they didn't do this, there are plenty of natural breakpoints and it even has a hub. Its kind of a shame too because the hardware requirements to get decent performance are going to exclude a lot of people from what otherwise looks like an amazingly intricate map. I have a pretty nice rig and the framerate still buckles just from the sheer size of it all.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

MMF Freeway posted:

Played a good bit of Prodeus now and I think all my problems with it can be summed up in: I want more options. Maybe I've been spoiled from playing too much Doom lately, with its extreme customizability these days, but there are just a bunch of little things that I wish I could tweak. I want to turn the blood down by like half, I want the automap to be more clean/simple with colored doors highlighted, I want a kill/secret counter and I want health to be on the left and armor/ammo on the right damnit! Holding down both mouse buttons to punch is dumb, the crosshair is too big, and using the scroll wheel for weapon select doesn't wrap around (if you're at the end of the list scrolling that way does nothing). And yeah while the saving system doesn't personally bother me I don't see much reason why there couldn't be an option for normal saving. Not to come down too hard on it though because it really is quite solid and I like it a lot, plus its still EA afterall and there's a decent amount of content to play already.

I played your map and it was a lot of fun! A notch above the early campaign levels difficulty wise as well which was nice (I played on the recommended Hard). Maybe ease up on the "use this console, opps it broke" style ambushes in subsequent maps though :v:

But I love them so much! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

I've played a bit of it and yeah I don't know why they didn't do this, there are plenty of natural breakpoints and it even has a hub. Its kind of a shame too because the hardware requirements to get decent performance are going to exclude a lot of people from what otherwise looks like an amazingly intricate map. I have a pretty nice rig and the framerate still buckles just from the sheer size of it all.

I thought the same with another huge map some months ago, Bastion of Chaos. There was even a nice point where to divide the map in two, a point of no return. Just make the start of the second map have the same room as the end of the first map if you want to keep continuity, but I suspect it could have been 15 fps faster with that division.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
:laffo: The XIII remake is one of the most embarassingly bad releases I've played in quite a while. Even if it wasn't a barely held together, janky, glitchy mess every decision they've made with regards to "improving" the original just fall flat miserably, and I don't even hold the original in THAT high regard.

It looks, sounds, feels, and plays like a Unity asset flip. And it was delayed for a YEAR for extra development. Avoid at all costs unless you're interested in comedic value.

It does, however, improve one enemy damage output, which was one of the things that made the original rather frustrating to play. Also I dig Jones' redesign, they did good there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The game always looked cheap, like someone slapped an outline shader on models ripped from counter strike. At least in this case it’s not like the original is unavailable which is currently on sale for two bucks.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I am enjoying it but for all the wrong reasons. Always fun to load up a level and see what incompetent buffoonery will be shoved in my face. They shoulda just upscaled the original game, tweak it to run better on modern systems and tweaked the damage output. Ah well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I kind of suspected that XIII would be janky because even the trailer that came out a while back that showcased the weapons felt really hollow and underwhelming. Like, it’s never a good sign when you can “feel” the poor gunplay by simply watching a 2 minute clip.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I appreciate those ultra big Doom levels but I’d never want to play one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It was never a good game in the first place, and literally the only thing it had going for it was the cel shading.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

XIII was the sum of its disparate parts. It's basically a discount NOLF released a year after NOLF 2 but having no context for the comic it was a decent retelling with some twists and turns and David Duchovny playing Jason Borne on valium.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahah what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/tomrkobayashi/status/1326188379730423808?s=20

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why would they even bother remaking it if they were gonna get rid of the cellshading. That’s the main appeal of the game.:lol:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wow, that looks way worse than I could have imagined.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

At 6 hours you should just go the full distance and make a metroidvania tc.

i've legitimately wanted to do something like this

honestly a lot of what attracts me to doom mapping is the capacity it has for loving around. you can do a lot of really weird creative poo poo in doom, especially with all the interesting features that have been bolted on to zdoom and UDMF over the years. wanna do a co-op map where each player has to run their own mini-map, with puzzles in one affecting the other? sure, you can do that. wanna do a metroidvania? sure, just code some custom items for movement upgrades and abuse the hub feature. wanna make a loving lovecraftian abomination that will make players hate you? paint everything with FIREBLU, make it huge and abuse portals to make incomprehensible geometries.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

XIII had a killer soundtrack, Adam West, and a few great setpieces, but was hamstrung by some nasty forced stealth bits and Duchovny. If they've not fixed that, then why bother?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
ZDCMP2 was sort of a light metroidvania and it’s one of my all time favorite wads.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Kins posted:

How do you even get 6 hours out of one map?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Flannelette posted:

How do you even get 6 hours out of one map?

I’m waiting for someone to upload a playthrough so I could see.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

I had pending to test how to OC my cpu with CTR, I wanted to do it before Cyberpunk, so well, I decided to go for it. Believe it or not, I'm noticing a difference, around 4 fps average more in this map, enough to alleviate the worst parts, performance wise. So I decided to start to play it. And you know what, for now it's a ton of fun. It's beautiful, it has an aggressive style of play and the Supercharge mod is very good, both in enemies and in weapons. It makes you move so much, with some enemies like the new Baron having a aoe effect on the ground, the Red Archvile dropping mines, or the green cacos dropping toxic clouds. I'm playing in HMP, in part because I haven't played Doom in a while, in part because maybe that way it won't need 6 hours lol.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

:laffo: The XIII remake is one of the most embarassingly bad releases I've played in quite a while. Even if it wasn't a barely held together, janky, glitchy mess every decision they've made with regards to "improving" the original just fall flat miserably, and I don't even hold the original in THAT high regard.

It looks, sounds, feels, and plays like a Unity asset flip. And it was delayed for a YEAR for extra development. Avoid at all costs unless you're interested in comedic value.

It does, however, improve one enemy damage output, which was one of the things that made the original rather frustrating to play. Also I dig Jones' redesign, they did good there.

I'm watching video of the first level now and it's just... how the hell did they gently caress this up this badly?

I don't even know if I can still refund if I bought it like 6 months ago. It's installing now anyway...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why would they even bother remaking it if they were gonna get rid of the cellshading. That’s the main appeal of the game.:lol:
Absolutely feels like someone high up mandated it to save money under the guise of "marketability" without understanding that being a counterweight to youth trends is the loving point of the Boomer Shooter revival. That you're allowed to look way jankier and cheaper and get away with it because it's "retro." That you're never going to capture the youth crowd just by making a game look superficially like Fortnite.

"Oh but no one does cel shading anymore, it'll lose us money."

Yeah well, you're gonna lose money anyway. Hope you embezzled you short-sighted overprivileged strawman in my head.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I downloaded and played Arcane Dimensions a while ago and it was awesome.

If I want to get an updated version and try the newer maps, is there any way to know what I have and haven't finished from the hub map? Can I import my existing progress or do I just make a mental note of which maps I've already played?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

titaniumone posted:

If I want to get an updated version and try the newer maps, is there any way to know what I have and haven't finished from the hub map? Can I import my existing progress or do I just make a mental note of which maps I've already played?

you can take a piece of paper and write down the names of the maps you finished on that

that way it's more concrete but also not liable to be wiped out by updating the files

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"No one does cel shading anymore"

Meanwhile every Chinese phone game rakes in billions looking like Wind Waker.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Hahaha holy poo poo, there are currently 280 reviews for the XIII remake on Steam and only nine percent of them are positive. I can't remember the last time I saw a game with those ratios.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've started playing Total Chaos, that crazy looking mod for GZDoom. It's real cool, outside of just the graphics. Sort of a mixture of Condemmned, STALKER and Silent Hill. Survival horror but with a greater emphasis on combat than most games in the genre; you start getting a bunch of melee weapons pretty quickly and they're quite effective at bludgeoning things, though you have to take care not to get overwhelmed. I'd waited for the Director's Cut, which I understand adds a lot more maps, weapons and enemies, as well as an entire armor system.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Like I said earlier, it looks like a fake video game that you’d see someone play on a tv show 10-15 years ago and I appreciate that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope Rage 3 is that game. We’ve waited long enough.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

titaniumone posted:

Note that the new version is its own installation, not an in-place upgrade for the older version. If you don't want to replay any maps yeah you just need to make a note.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope Rage 3 is that game. We’ve waited long enough.

I nope out of Rage as soon as they force you to do racing things. I've done it like a half dozen times. Might as well just watch a season of Rosanne instead. Megatextures are good I guess. I get cranky when I can't toggle aim too. I CAN use AHK but I don't want to. :colbert:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Well that's the XIII remake down the toilet. Fingers crossed that Project IGI 3 is as comedically bad or somehow turns out to be decent.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Well that's the XIII remake down the toilet. Fingers crossed that Project IGI 3 is as comedically bad or somehow turns out to be decent.

Are they making a third? I remember playing 1 and 2 back in the days and they were kind of fun, jank all around but they had some Delta Force vibes. I own IGI 2 on GOG and I'm sure it didn't age well at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Project I'm Going In has the worst name, it really does.