Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Tom Brady is a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Tom Brady is an owner in a player's uniform.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

Tom Brady is a piece of poo poo.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Brady, but only because I still don't think Mark Davis was all that douchey. He was pretty up front that he wasn't gonna stay in Oakland and, aside from jobbing a known jobber in Sheldon Adelson, played the financing thing pretty par for the course.

Brady defended his brand at the expense of his wife, his fellow NFLPA members, the guys he threw under the bus for colluding, etc etc. He also made Jim Harbaugh somehow look worse when he showed up to a UM game to toss the pigskin for cheap media coverage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Tom Brady, because (credit to the Chromatic in the News and Views thread)
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/888149869424254976

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tom Brady

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Tom Brady for throwing his wife (who actually makes more than him) under the bus when faced with public scrutiny.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Skwirl posted:

Tom Brady, because (credit to the Chromatic in the News and Views thread)
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/888149869424254976

Yeah this

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Leperflesh posted:

I suppose one thing to consider is that the Raiders move will take place in two or three years, so there will be two or three more years of opportunity to give Davis the win specifically for this move: whereas the Spanoses will be ineligible for the move starting next year, unless there is new douchebaggery related to the move to report.

On the other hand, if the Spanoses don't win, they could well be nominated for the lifetime douchievement award.

Way to put your thumb on the scale there buddy.

Also most of Brady's peak douche is old news, his shady TB12 company included. That story broke in 2015, so no votes based on just that are valid.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...qeBL/story.html

He's a great Hall of Fame candidate, but for this year he's piss weak compared to a team stealing piece of poo poo people are trying to excuse on a legalistic loophole, or because he has a populist image that fools morons.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 23, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

sean10mm posted:

Also most of Brady's peak douche is old news, his shady TB12 company included. That story broke in 2015, so no votes based on just that are valid.

He's a great Hall of Fame candidate, but for this year he's piss weak compared to a team stealing piece of poo poo people are trying to excuse on a legalistic loophole, or because he has a populist image that fools morons.

He's still doing the shady poo poo. Therefore it is totally relevant this year.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

sean10mm posted:

lol

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This one is tough. My instinct is to vote for Brady. But what is doucheier, pretending to be more than you are like Brady? Or pretending to be just another guy when you don't behave that way like Davis? Brady is arguably closer to what he pretends to be, in that he has a certain greatness but he has just overstated it wildly. There is nothing "just another guy" about a silver-spoon supercuts-sneeze simpleton prick like Davis.

First off, I'm not going to blame Brady for finding a way to cheat the system and get paid what he deserves outside the cap. That's more on Kraft than him, and he has a competitive reason to accept the plan because it gives the team more room to work with. If the other owners or the NFLPA don't like it, then I suggest they loving do something about it, or just join the club and become landlords for their player's snake oil clinics too. Brady's antics are super douchey bordering on a God complex: He's the male Gwyneth Paltrow, except instead of steaming your genitals he wants you to reduce the pressure in your balls.

But it just doesn't have the profound impact of what Davis did. Normally, what a business does to gently caress people over doesn't rank on the douche scale, because I believe douche implies a moral component; it's doing something you shouldn't, or conducting yourself in a way you shouldn't. Corporations are non-moral actors and non-people, despite what Mittchum Romney says. However, there are at least two times where it's a bit different: when the people being hosed are employees or when they are fans rather than normal customers. Employees depend on the corporation acting with their interests in mind, and fans support you out of a non-business interest and cannot always just go to another vendor like a normal customer can. Doing either wrong is preying on their vulnerability, though to different degrees. The number of people harmed and the special circumstances of sport mean it exists on the douche scale in a way that it does not if Amazon or GE were to move in the same way.

I think I have to give it to Davis.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Tom Brady.

(Insert image of Tom counting his rings.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sean10mm posted:

My impartiality is pretend. I assure you I count all the votes fairly, though. Also the Brady/Spanos matchup hasn't happened yet, and might not happen at all. But regardless, I believe people will vote as they please and that I don't have special powers of persuasion that are stronger than anyone else's in the thread.

quote:

"When the story broke" is not the criterion.

Leperflesh posted:

Eligibility
#3: Of the Year
The nominee must have done the douchebaggy thing during the period of May 19, 2016 through May 18, 2017. It's OK if they did douchebaggy things before or since, but you have to be able to call out douchebaggery that occurred during that period.

Brady's TB12 company is ongoing, and the affect - his artificially low salary, giving the Pats extra room under the cap - is ongoing and certainly affected them last year.

quote:

Maybe so! I encourage you to keep advocating for the position you believe passionately in: that's the lifeblood of this thread and process, after all. There's a good argument to be made that the main reason people are voting Brady right now is because they're angry about the Pats superbowl and this is a way to express that.

Finally, I will point out that in the previous years of this contest, the guy running the thing also voted: I have abstained.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 23, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of the hall of fame:

I'd like to nominate Joseph Vincent Paterno for the hall of fame, for being the prototype for Art Briles, for looking the other way on sexual assault (on minors no less), unleashing the massive victim complex of Penn State fans, and for being the prototype for all cult leader-like coaches.

e: I'm great at reading, part 9001 in this thread.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 23, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

#2: Douchebag
The nominee must be douchebaggy. Douchebaggery is broadly defined by the thread consensus via voting, so I prefer not to try to spell out too specifically what the term means. However, by consensus we exclude from consideration crimes for which there was a conviction in a court of law. I'll go ahead and add anyone who has been charged with a crime for which trial is still pending, and anyone who engaged in severely gross behavior that we really need to avoid having some kind of terrible "debate" about, such as the Paterno/Sandusky thing. Please also recognize that we're doing this for fun and not to have a debate about for example what exactly constitutes consent for purposes of determining if a rape took place. That said, a certain amount of discussion about where to draw the line is OK, as long as it doesn't become a derail or start resulting in probations.

Paterno/Sandusky has been explicitly disallowed in the past, although we've had Penn State Fans as nominees before. I carried forward that ban, but I'm open to a discussion about it if you guys think it's an unnecessary exclusion. I'd say we could exclude the allegations regarding the sexual assault coverup, but I don't think the thread or voters can reasonably discuss and vote on Paterno while doing that. Like I said, though, I'm open to it if the thread feels it's appropriate and worthwhile.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Retracted, because I can read :downs:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

As much as I detest Tom Brady, moving a team and all the consequences of doing so are ultimately more substantial than playing for the Patriots. Mark Davis.

By the way, since the Chargers aren't in their final home, wouldn't the Spanos family qualify for the contest until that happened using the same logic applied here?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
gently caress Tom Brady

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I am fond of both men, and therefore would like at this time to add my own nomination of my Self for the hall of fame thing. I Love You

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Zurreco posted:

Brady, but only because I still don't think Mark Davis was all that douchey. He was pretty up front that he wasn't gonna stay in Oakland and, aside from jobbing a known jobber in Sheldon Adelson, played the financing thing pretty par for the course.

Brady defended his brand at the expense of his wife, his fellow NFLPA members, the guys he threw under the bus for colluding, etc etc. He also made Jim Harbaugh somehow look worse when he showed up to a UM game to toss the pigskin for cheap media coverage.

These points are how I was thinking about it, too.

Therefore, Tom Brady.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Mark Davis screwing over Sheldon Adelson is part of the reason I didn't vote for Davis.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

By the way, since the Chargers aren't in their final home, wouldn't the Spanos family qualify for the contest until that happened using the same logic applied here?

Presumably "Moving the team to LA" has happened, but "Moving the team" is ongoing?

Cavauro posted:

I am fond of both men, and therefore would like at this time to add my own nomination of my Self for the hall of fame thing. I Love You

You were already nominated, so I've added this to the seconds. You now have four seconds, which is the most! I Love You Too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i will never come back for seconds. that's a gluttony And greed combination

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zurreco posted:

but only because I still don't think Mark Davis was all that douchey. He was pretty up front that he wasn't gonna stay in Oakland and, aside from jobbing a known jobber in Sheldon Adelson, played the financing thing pretty par for the course.
Mark Davis is moving his team out of a stadium and a city which is still paying for the last set of renovations, which his father demanded to move the team back to Oakland in the first place, and didn't seem all that interested in listening to proposals for Oakland stadium projects anyway; he basically announced the move before he had actual funding (because the Adelson deal fell through).

I don't have any great love for Tom Brady, but don't sell Davis short here.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Tom Brady, a member of the NFLPA, gets paid under the table by management for taking below-market wages and supports discrimination against fellow union members based on their religion. A man willing to betray his own wife is a douche that cannot be trusted.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tom Brady for reasons I can't really articulate.

I guess Mark Davis really sucks but doesn't scream douche to me the same way Brady does.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sean10mm posted:

:patssay:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tom Brady wins, 36-18 over Mark Davis.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dean Spanos and family vs. Pacman Jones

Dean Spanos and family stole the Chargers from the city of San Diego and made off with them in a very nasty way. Also various items previously discussed for Chargers Front Office can largely be attributed to them.

The closest any of these fabulously rich people will come to doing actual work in their entire privileged lives

Pacman Jones does his best to cripple his opponents on the field, and spits on nurses in his spare time.

A familiar sight to Cincinnati residents

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Spanos family slumlords, failson, owned by MLS team, etc. etc.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Spanos

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Dean Spanos + all the other Spanoses.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

They're creepy and they're kooky,

Mysterious and spooky,

They're altogether ooky,

The Spanos Family!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Spanos Family

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Spanos Family in another land slide

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

PostNouveau posted:

Spanos family slumlords, failson, owned by MLS team, etc. etc.
Yup. Clan Spanos.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dean Spanos and family stole the Chargers from the city of San Diego.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

Pacman Jones does his best to cripple his opponents on the field, and spits on nurses in his spare time.

A familiar sight to Cincinnati residents
This isn't Pacman Jones...or is that :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to do something because I am disturbed at how many shutouts there's been so far. I am going to vote for Pacman "Adam" Jones so there won't be a shutout. This is not an endorsement of his douchebaggery being larger than what Dean Spanos and his fuckwit family have accomplished. Yes, Pacman is a dirty, lovely player and somehow a worse human being. This is why he deserves a 1-point acknowledgement.

Dean Spanos should be acknowledged to be the biggest douche of the year. Hell, he managed to somehow be worse than Stan Kroenke and his douchebag move out of St. Louis. He's sunk the bar so low that it's like Freddy Krueger came in it's dreams and swallowed it in the mud where a few air pockets seep out until it chokes and dies. It's midnight, there's a crow in the background being a tool, there's a parked ice creme truck in someone's driveway nearby, it's a kind-of warm night so it's uncomfortable to be outside; idk, at this point I'm just winging it. gently caress Dean Spanos.

• Locked thread