Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Man i wish i had found out about the cpu stuff before i bought this. Cpu is the one component i haven't upgraded in like 5 years. At least i only paid 30 bucks for this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Coldforge posted:

The entire game is exploring the character detail/depth/story, but it's never in any hurry to do so. You'll get what you put into it, through exploration somewhat (for the tombs and Egypt lore) but mostly through advancing the main story mission. If you're having trouble figuring out which ones are the story missions, the quest menu gives you the option to sort them out.

But yeah, the focus depends on you, and it's never a very "tight" experience. It's obviously meant to be a long, long, wandering journey for Bayek.

Ok thanks for the reply. I'll keep at it and go into it with that mindset. I really like the combat changes and RPG elements, and especially the loot changes because it's fun to upgrade and find new items I like to play with. I have the main quest story missions mapped out on the left hand side. I haven't done a lit of the ? mark areas at all. Maybe I'll try some of those. Side questing I am doing to gain levels to hit the main quest level I need to be at to advance up to this point.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Utnayan posted:

Ok thanks for the reply. I'll keep at it and go into it with that mindset. I really like the combat changes and RPG elements, and especially the loot changes because it's fun to upgrade and find new items I like to play with. I have the main quest story missions mapped out on the left hand side. I haven't done a lit of the ? mark areas at all. Maybe I'll try some of those. Side questing I am doing to gain levels to hit the main quest level I need to be at to advance up to this point.

Be sure to hit the Sync towers. They aren't as important now, but I think they'll still reveal local side missions and ? marks on the map.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Coldforge posted:

Be sure to hit the Sync towers. They aren't as important now, but I think they'll still reveal local side missions and ? marks on the map.

Will do. Am trying to unlock those in every new area.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can you harm your CPU by playing the game or something? I'm not very tech savy :unsmith:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Coldforge posted:

They also improve Senu, help speed up scouting.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, the Giza region is way better when it comes to sidequests. Each one I did was pretty dope, it helps that the place is full of landmarks. I guess the content is not evenly distributed. Also some of the side activities that are normally just grind (like the animal hunting zones) can include hidden quests in them which is bad news when it comes to skipping content.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Coldforge posted:

They count as fast travel spots too

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

man nurse posted:

I've read that the PC version taxes your CPU heavily due to all the anti piracy running on it. Am I better off picking it up on consoles if I have a PS4 Pro, even if I meet the recommended specs of the PC version?

Edit: Scrolling up seems to suggest I should just roll console.

As far as I can tell the claim that it's DRM causing the issues is a reddit conspiracy. According to Nvidia it's the fault of their engine having a janky, hacked together implementation of direct x, which is causing the CPU to like double the amount of work it needs to do.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

Ok, the Giza region is way better when it comes to sidequests. Each one I did was pretty dope, it helps that the place is full of landmarks. I guess the content is not evenly distributed. Also some of the side activities that are normally just grind (like the animal hunting zones) can include hidden quests in them which is bad news when it comes to skipping content.

I killed some guard captain in the first area and got some blacksmith tool

The. I went to the blacksmith and he lamented about a captain stealing his tools so he couldn't work and Bayek was like "boy is this our lucky day" and gave the tools back

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

turn off the TV posted:

As far as I can tell the claim that it's DRM causing the issues is a reddit conspiracy. According to Nvidia it's the fault of their engine having a janky, hacked together implementation of direct x, which is causing the CPU to like double the amount of work it needs to do.

It's optimized for the Xbox one x

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
bought on PC, runs at 60fps on very low. return and get on ps4? is there any advantage at all to having it on PC vs Ps4?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Palpek posted:

Yeah, the two worst things about the game (other than I guess the DRM, which I haven't experienced) are definitely the overwhelming-number-of-things-to-do with no clear way to see which are "important," and fire.

Mostly fire because gently caress dying to fire while stuck in a combat animation. Not bitter.

no_funeral posted:

bought on PC, runs at 60fps on very low. return and get on ps4? is there any advantage at all to having it on PC vs Ps4?

Unless you're a "master race" purist or have an insane rig & demand absolutely no jaggies at 4k and 120fps, no.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Speaking of fire I was rescuing some guy from a cage and got overboard with fire arrows so the fire spread all over him and his cage. Oops.

Good thing quest NPC are unkillable so he was fine although black with soot amidst the cinder. His first words upon being delivered was about how much he'd suffered in his cage. Yeah, sorry about that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Another really nice detail is finding letters (usually marked with a blue arrow?) that give directions to hidden treasure stashes nearby, that don't show up on the map :3:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Coldforge posted:

Yeah, the two worst things about the game (other than I guess the DRM, which I haven't experienced) are definitely the overwhelming-number-of-things-to-do with no clear way to see which are "important," and fire.

You may not have noticed it, but the DRM issue is definitely there.

As for the important stuff, nothing is important. If it isn't related to a quest then everything is random loot (gear), crafting materials, or experience. If it's an exceptionally strong fort, a really out of the way place, or someplace of obvious significance (like a Pyramid) it might have a one of the rare crafting items that you need for the last level or two of a crafting upgrade but beyond that there is nothing special to be found anywhere.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

TescoBag posted:

I'm considering buying this. What settings are you running it at and is it at 60fps?

Pretty much everything on ultra, except shadows on high, with 8gb of ram, an i5-3570k (not overclocked), and a GTX 970. The game runs at 60 fps when not in a city, where it then drops to 40-45. I capped the fps to 45 so I don't notice the drops, but it's easily playable uncapped too if you prefer getting 60 on less intensive scenes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nessin posted:

You may not have noticed it, but the DRM issue is definitely there.

I really don't think it's related to the DRM, at least not the way it's claimed. Allegedly the performance impact is the result of the DRM running checks every single time the player moves, but if you leave the game idle the CPU usage doesn't drop at all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

why is a man following me all over egypt telling me that he is innocent

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Dongattack posted:

Can you harm your CPU by playing the game or something? I'm not very tech savy :unsmith:

In theory any program that constantly stresses your CPU could hurt it, especially if your heatsink isn't up to snuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SpacePope posted:

Pretty much everything on ultra, except shadows on high, with 8gb of ram, an i5-3570k (not overclocked), and a GTX 970. The game runs at 60 fps when not in a city, where it then drops to 40-45. I capped the fps to 45 so I don't notice the drops, but it's easily playable uncapped too if you prefer getting 60 on less intensive scenes.

You have identical specs to mine, so that's hopeful for when I eventually get the game.

Can you hit 60 FPS in cities if you drop some more settings, without things getting super low? I might as well shoot for a solid 60 if it's possible.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dongattack posted:

No, I played for many hours straight and I have an i5 3350 and my temps stayed around 66 the whole time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
980ti everything on ultra except for AA and Shadows, I get 74 FPS.

I am loving this game though, don't understand these "journalists" who are poo pooing it. :shrug:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's pretty well received? Review scores are about on par with Black Flag, only 2 and Brotherhood were higher.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Played another 7 hours straight last night :sweatdrop:

Killed the first "real" target, did Aya's first mission (which was short but sweet), killed my first Phylax. Now at 26 hours played, still only have about 1/3 of the map even revealed.

I almost literally never fast travel, the map/roads are set up so well and even far off places don't take that long to get to on cruise control. Flying along above Bayek is the best minigame ever.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm running it on a very similar rig to Spacepope's except with a 960 and I have almost no performance issues with everything on high or above. A couple of texture pop-ins now and then but nothing dramatic.

I just killed all 5 elephants - those loving things are such a pain in the rear end. Don't assume that just because you managed to kill one that you can do the others the same. They each have their own annoying little gimmick. Do them for a challenge but IMO the bow and outfit you get for them aren't really worth the trouble.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do the main assassination targets work this time? Any cool assassination setups?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

How do the main assassination targets work this time? Any cool assassination setups?

I mean, it's no Hitman, but there are a lot of wacky things you can do in general. The first target didn't have anything too specifically cool around to take advantage of, but I didn't look very hard, I just wanted to move on to the next Egypt Cop Sidequest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

I mean, it's no Hitman, but there are a lot of wacky things you can do in general. The first target didn't have anything too specifically cool around to take advantage of, but I didn't look very hard, I just wanted to move on to the next Egypt Cop Sidequest.

Oh yeah, I'm not expecting Hitman-level intricacy from an open-world game, but it's good to know there might be things to do other than "just sneak up behind him and stab him I guess."

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The first target was totally anti-climactic for me. I killed his guards after he wandered to the underground part of the temple then hit him a couple of times with a khopesh and he bled to death.

Harrow posted:

It's very open ended. In my limited experience they're usually roaming an area with some guards and you can approach it however you like.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harrow posted:

One of them is just straight up a goofy magic bossfight. Not particularly stealthy no

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Don't forget to remember you can light people on fire and just leg it until they drop dead.

Doesn't work on Phylakes since they have fuckoff amounts of HP though

e: you can hit Photo Mode during cutscenes and kill animations, I don't know why more people aren't taking action shots of impaling guys like Vlad. The Spear I have isn't my "best" weapon but gently caress if I'm gonna stop using it, spears are great

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Using a spear on a horse feels like cheating. You can just stay our of range of enemy swords while killing them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Led the giant crococdile back to town where it attacked a few children npcs and felt instantly bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Empress Brosephine posted:

Led the giant crococdile back to town where it attacked a few children npcs and felt instantly bad

I wonder if they had to specifically patch that out in the European version :v:

Do you ever get Desynchronized if you attack too many innocents? I've gotten the "A Medjay is supposed to protect the innocent" message but nothing more than that.

The QOL improvements with the save system are almost too good - any time you die, you reappear just a few feet away and it always saves which treasures you've found. Suicide runs into high level places to steal their treasure is a thing.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

This game is stupid beautiful, and this isn't even on max settings.

BALLCRUSHER

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Yeah I hear a bunch of water walking was going on about this time in history.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I keep getting new costumes and then end up switching back to the towel anyway (with the head cover turned off) because Bayek's hairy chest looks best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Seriously has anyone else noticed the same voice actor saying "Bayak we're innocent" or something similar everywhere you go? Its very odd