Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

He's not not entertaining, but his comedy never feels like a character, he's just being a silly goose, whatever happens.
Again, the crowd I was with enjoyed this, but I thought his diet Jack Sparrow was sort of a bummer.

You aren't wrong in that he doesn't fit in this dumb movie or feels like he is acting like anyone really there. It almost feels like someone gave him a bunch of generic plotpoints and he just decided to wing it and make fun of what he was told on screen and made that his character.

Still the only part that was even vaguely interesting about the movie, besides John Cena who I will now forever associate with Peacemaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jakob in this movie reminds me of Shaw in F8. They're all tough and serious in their first appearance but becomes an Uncle in the presence of a child.

Also just found out that the flight attendant is Paul Walker's daughter. Man, he died 10 years ago and she's an adult now.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 18, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cena was terrible as a villain in 9 and was part of the reason it's my least favourite. Nothing against him personally but knowing he was never going to be actually bad the entire time really neutered the story. Mamoa was really good. Not as hilarious as they clearly wanted Dante to be but he was a good ham and that's refreshing to have opposite ever-so-serious Dom.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I feel like the fast series has only had a handful of truly standout villains. Statham in 7 rules, and I guess the Rock counts in 5 at least as an antagonist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Momoa did *really* well, even if I couldn't tell if his "affectations" were an embracing or tongue-in-cheek mocking of "wokeism," but sixty meters of water isn't gonna do poo poo against 20 kilotons.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
This was the dumbest movie I have ever seen and I loved every minute of it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was surprised by the end of it how little Statham was in it considering Leterrier directed it but maybe he wasn't brought in early enough to affect the script.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wonder if they are doing hobbs and shaw 2

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lobok posted:

I was surprised by the end of it how little Statham was in it considering Leterrier directed it but maybe he wasn't brought in early enough to affect the script.

He wasn't. The movie had already been shooting for a week when Lin decided he was done with Diesel's bullshit.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

He will get a bigger role in the next movie since saving Shaw's mom seems to be an important plot point.

Alan Smithee posted:

Its worldwide gross is over 700 million. So very likely.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 19, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just realizing today, did Dom drive the same car the whole movie? That thing has an amazing healing factor if so.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They should do a reveal where he has a garage full of the same cars

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lobok posted:

Just realizing today, did Dom drive the same car the whole movie? That thing has an amazing healing factor if so.

He's just that good at rebuilding cars. It's part of his carmancy skill.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I remember in one of the Raymond Benson 007 novels the car had a self-healing body. At one time it might have fit in the Bond movies, like one of the later Brosnans, but it would work perfectly with this franchise now.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Nothing had any weight. Outside of Momoa, there wasn’t any outlandish stuff that I expect from the series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of outlandish, I thought Dom was going to hit the bomb with the crane and it was going to be like a homerun swing.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The “You made one mistake…” line was pretty baller. I clapped for that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

They should do it but remove the Hobbs part

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Han and Shaw. Or just more Han.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I just want 2 hours of Shaw kicking the poo poo out of people while Helen Mirren watches approvingly

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you tape a photo of Helen Mirren to the side of the TV you have a lot of Statham action films to choose from.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lobok posted:

If you tape a photo of Helen Mirren to the side of the TV you have a lot of Statham action films to choose from.

You should have this already

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This is the second drat movie where Pete Davidson turns out to be a rat

Are they trying to make us hate him

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is this worth checking out on dolby/imax? That’s my instinct at least, but was curious if others have watched it in the bigger formats already

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lobok posted:

It's not too late to reveal that Statham is canonically his character from the Transporter movies

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What a ridiculous, fun, and stupid movie.

"You should have taken my car" was a solid line reminiscent of "whatever you do, don't let them get in their cars" from fast 5.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Assepoester posted:

It's not too late to reveal that Statham is canonically his character from the Transporter movies

Also the same character from the Crank movies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*stephen graham walks in* "oy, nickin them vroom vrooms Turkish?"

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Timby posted:

He wasn't. The movie had already been shooting for a week when Lin decided he was done with Diesel's bullshit.

that was a fun day at work

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
unrecognizeable. truly awful

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Momoa and Cena are the only ones who act like they understand that the FF series is supposed to be kind of goofy. The hero worship of Dom is even worse in this one, especially all the extremely stupid things Dom is able to do to save people.

One thing that's funny is how they clearly had to shoot around not having Vin and Alan Ritchson next to each other since Ritchson is loving huge both in mass and just general height.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would be very funny if the ballooning costs and production issues made it so that this is the last one and so it ends with bad guy wins, everyone is dead.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

One thing that's funny is how they clearly had to shoot around not having Vin and Alan Ritchson next to each other since Ritchson is loving huge both in mass and just general height.

They did that with Cena in the last one as well

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can really tell this was a troubled production because there are a ton of rough edges. Scott Eastwood just kind of vanishes partway through and just isn't mentioned again while Brie Larson's character just does everything he would have done. The scene where they introduce Alan Ritchson's Ames is just bizarrely shot and recaps the franchise for some reason? Rita Moreno also feels like someone who was cast but they couldn't figure out what to do with her so she just shows up for one scene, says absolutely nothing of importance and then is never mentioned again.

Also once again the way they wrote out Brian is just an albatross around the franchise's neck.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Momoa and Cena are the only ones who act like they understand that the FF series is supposed to be kind of goofy. The hero worship of Dom is even worse in this one, especially all the extremely stupid things Dom is able to do to save people.

IIRC he was also never with any of the team other than the beginning and arguably driving alongside Jacob briefly.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 20, 2023

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

You can really tell this was a troubled production

I don't know if they're really 'troubled' in the traditional sense, all the major franchises movies are pretty much shot on the fly these days and when you have an enormous cast like the FF movies you kinda just shoot/reshoot based on who is available when and try to cut it together in post. It was a sign of dysfunction five years ago but now it's just how they roll.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Embarrassing

I kept assuming Alan Ritchman was Scott Eastwood

I literally don’t remember Scott Eastwood in this or the last movie

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Alan Smithee posted:

I literally don’t remember Scott Eastwood in this or the last movie

Scott Eastwood was introduced in 8 and then disappeared for 9. It's not a great sign of quality for a movie if people are asking, "Where's Scott Eastwood?"

Edit: I liked the film just fine up until the Rome scene ends. Then everybody gets scattered to the four winds and most people don't really do anything of consequence. The Pete Davidson scene was useless, Letty and Cipher have a fight for no reason (I understand why Letty would want to go after Cipher, but it still didn't amount to anything), Jacob and the annoying kid do shenanigans. Mia and Eastwood just evaporate completely, and it always annoys me when Mia gets completely sidelined since she is literal family. Like as much of a charisma void Scott Eastwood is, he could have fit into the actual narrative, what with being trained under Mr. Nobody and probably not going along with Ames' plan. Really, the entire Agency subplot is such a wet fart. Like I'll accept it as being the reason why they go on spy missions, sure whatever, but now that it's more central, it's too poorly developed to actually make me care.

The ending or lack thereof was also real dumb. Like you can make a film where there are still lingering threads, but still end it in a satisfying way. See Empire Strikes Back, the Lord of the Rings films, etc.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 21, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah I knew there were going to be more films but ending on a cliffhanger when the next film hasn't even started filming yet is an... interesting choice. Is Dom's son going to have a lovely moustache by the time the water reaches them? Even the films I can recall that are clearly only one part of a whole either had a film already in the bag to be released the following year or they didn't have a "Same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel" ending. We're getting that this summer in fact, with Part 1 of Mission: Impossible and Part 2 next summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Scott Eastwood thing was weird because he doesn't even get written out, he just falls out of a car and is only mentioned off hand once after.