Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm disappointed there are no outrageously hammy Scottish or Welsh accents.

They have everyone else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
loving Themse river (or whatsitsname) is using screen-space reflections, despite raytracing. :mad:

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Combat Pretzel posted:

loving Themse river (or whatsitsname) is using screen-space reflections, despite raytracing. :mad:

Thames but pronounced Tems for some dumbass reason (is probably not a dumb reason I guess) (literally looked this up yesterday because I realized I was definitely either spelling or pronouncing it wrong)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I was feeling a bit bad about my newly upgraded machine only averaging 30 fps in Legion at high/ultra (after this most recent patch) but then I maxed out settings in Control and got a much smoother 45 fps. Seems like Legion is just optimized terribly. Note that that 30 fps isn't even walking around the Thames or whatever, it's in indoor spaces.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

This game is just a bummer all around. Usually you can count on ubi games to at least be fun to gently caress around in and that's been completely removed from this iteration. I think the first watch dogs let you do more fun loving around stuff (hacking traffic lights is an exclusion in particular that's just puzzling). I haven't booted it up in weeks at this point.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
With how good Valhalla is I really don't know what the release strategy here was. Just work on it 6 more months to add more unique missions and stuff, don't release it immediately before a game that is the same kind of game but like 100x more gooder

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Has anyone purchased the Season Pass? I’m wanting to play more story, but not sure if it’s worth it.
I don’t really care about the 4 operatives and car skin tbh

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Andrew_1985 posted:

Has anyone purchased the Season Pass? I’m wanting to play more story, but not sure if it’s worth it.
I don’t really care about the 4 operatives and car skin tbh

I got it with the steelbook edition. I don’t think any of the extra content is out yet though?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Individual characters can be promoted within their respective organizations. I found this out because I noticed one of my operatives' former harassers was promoted to an Albion captain after I beat the poo poo out of her for the seventh time. :allears:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Supersonic Shine posted:

Individual characters can be promoted within their respective organizations. I found this out because I noticed one of my operatives' former harassers was promoted to an Albion captain after I beat the poo poo out of her for the seventh time. :allears:

What the gently caress

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

im on the net me boys posted:

What the gently caress
Before you start getting internet offended about beating up virtual girls, the game has fight clubs. Where else would you get the chance to beat up the same character seven times?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Considering what's going on in France right now, I figure they based their plot in the wrong country.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Before you start getting internet offended about beating up virtual girls, the game has fight clubs. Where else would you get the chance to beat up the same character seven times?

No I meant like what the gently caress I didn't know the game did poo poo like that

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Supersonic Shine posted:

i usualy don't let the harrasers live if they are albion or whatever. i ran into a situation where one of the arms dealers/bitcon operator targets was right next to some clan kelly rear end in a top hat and his cousin. i wasted them all because i was playing with the dead eyed merc rebel character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kINLxNxTMJ0

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Too bad the amount of citizens isn't finite. Would be neat to win the game by turning London into a ghost town.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad the amount of citizens isn't finite. Would be neat to win the game by turning London into a ghost town.

The upside is that you’ll always have cops to kill

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

No I meant like what the gently caress I didn't know the game did poo poo like that
I mean, she was demoted back to an Albion contractor after that incident, so maybe it was just a glitch that I mistook for something more clever. Alternatively, there really is a hierarchy at play and she really did get demoted after I pulverized her for the umpteeth time.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Just finished the game. I think this was the least good game in the series

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Supersonic Shine posted:

I mean, she was demoted back to an Albion contractor after that incident, so maybe it was just a glitch that I mistook for something more clever. Alternatively, there really is a hierarchy at play and she really did get demoted after I pulverized her for the umpteeth time.

Considering people in the game have rivals...I’d be more shocked if it was a bug.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I just finished it, and while it was entertaining enough to get to me to blast through the campaign in a week, I don't know how much I care for the remaining side stories or DLC. They really wagered the whole game on the play as anyone gimmick and I don't think it paid off. I liked playing stealth/chaos in previous games, so I wound up playing most of the early game as operatives from whatever faction let me sneak around wherever I had to sneak around without getting too noticed. At some point the game starts throwing too many "hang around point x while bagley downloads/erases/uploads macguffin.exe oh no the alarm went off so stealth is off the table" missions at me so I switched to a hitman and ex-terrorist guy that had good guns. I do wish this game wasn't so combat-heavy, I never felt that was this series' strong point, I always preferred exploiting its unique systems to avoid combat whereever possible. Anyway, my evolving playstyle worked with the team building aspect, but they could have done all that with a regular main protagonist and speccing/stealing uniforms/hacking yourself an albion badge or something to accomplish the same thing, and then you wouldn't have been stuck with dodgy voice acting and no character development. And that was what really felt missing after Watch Dogs 2, which had some fantastic characters in your crew. This is hyped as in theory the most diverse cast in any game ever, but it's a bit of a letdown when you realize it's just a male body and a female body with different skin, hair, and accents. I would love to see fat people, gym gods, tall people, short people, trans people (also a noted absense after Miranda was a significant side character in WD2), all kinds of people, and it's a bit of a shame there's no effort at all to do this.

I have mixed feelings about the environment as well. It's obviously more compact than the Bay Area of WD2, with less diversity in environments. Feels like the transition from GTA San Andreas to GTA4, where we got a more detailed environment but there was less to do. I think there was potential here, to build something in between GTA (huge) and Yakuza (just a neighborhood but it's so detailed), but instead it's a fairly repetitive gloomy city that's a bit annoying to drive around in so you wind up fast traveling and running/stealing a car to go the 3 blocks to your next objective. Maybe we're not there yet tech-wise but a London that was this compact but impossible to drive around dueo to traffic (like a real city!) that you had to bike/train/motorcycle around would be fantastic. I do appreciate that fast travel is train stations now, it was absurd that WD2 used clothing stores of all places for that (though at least you could go inside those in that game!). For a series that's inspired more than anything by real life tech companies, it is funny that they're ignoring scooter/bike share, which has exploded since WD2 came out, I think hackable electric scooters all over town would be a great addition to this series, especially if they built the environment to be fun to get around that way. In general, I feel like the setting has moved too far forward to feel plausible. Watch Dogs 2's setting and events didn't require too much suspension of disbelief, Marcus had a phone in his hand just like me, but now now everyone's got crazy AR poo poo clipped to their ears? Too much. Overall, this game was disappointing, but there's potential in what's here and I hope there's a next game where more of it is actually realized. I just hope they haven't painted themselves into a corner with the overly advanced setting.

edit: one more thing... the various gadgets you could use were cool but I never used any of them because I couldn't take them into a restricted area without losing access to my spiderbot, which half the time meant I couldn't get all the collectibles without coming back later. And this is an Ubisoft open world game so you better believe I'm getting the collectibles.

donut fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 6, 2020

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I mean there's actually trans folks in this one too, but it's a blink and miss it entry on character bios. That said it comes up a whole lot - at least half my recruits at any time are listed on some sort of hormones or T or some such

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HebrewMagic posted:

I mean there's actually trans folks in this one too, but it's a blink and miss it entry on character bios. That said it comes up a whole lot - at least half my recruits at any time are listed on some sort of hormones or T or some such

yeah my first recruit was Trans man. i like that its not weird poo poo like "their deadname is _____" or some poo poo in the bio and its just them. like the one dude i use makes fur suits for people online.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 6, 2020

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I did not notice that! I just went through all my operatives and I only had one with anything related to that, a male operative that was prescribed estrogen blockers. I never really looked at the bio info because none of it actually matters in the game or the story, which I guess is why the whole gimmick feels cheap: everyone is really just a weapon and ability. Maybe they could have listed preferred pronouns for every recruit, then they could have also included non-binary people as well, unless maybe I just haven't seen it. Sort of related, the "Seduce the Liaison" mission where no matter what, whoever you send the first time is the wrong gender, felt weird because now I'm sending an operative in to do something regardless of their orientation (not that that's ever revealed at all except for recruits whose "lover" is listed among their connections). On the other hand, it might be weird if the game made you account for that, and suddenly I had to recruit a token lesbian just for one mission!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

donut posted:

I did not notice that! I just went through all my operatives and I only had one with anything related to that, a male operative that was prescribed estrogen blockers. I never really looked at the bio info because none of it actually matters in the game or the story, which I guess is why the whole gimmick feels cheap: everyone is really just a weapon and ability. Maybe they could have listed preferred pronouns for every recruit, then they could have also included non-binary people as well, unless maybe I just haven't seen it. Sort of related, the "Seduce the Liaison" mission where no matter what, whoever you send the first time is the wrong gender, felt weird because now I'm sending an operative in to do something regardless of their orientation (not that that's ever revealed at all except for recruits whose "lover" is listed among their connections). On the other hand, it might be weird if the game made you account for that, and suddenly I had to recruit a token lesbian just for one mission!

yeah, i like the game alot but the whole system feels more like beta for the inevitable next game or something. like sometimes the interactions click really well but many times its clearly two NPC talking past each other if you know what i mean. or that their are maybe like 20 or so background favor missions or so. also pretty sure Bagley mostly uses "they" for operatives in general but i mostly podcast when playing so i can't be sure.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think you have to take the bizarre characters talking past each other as comedy.

"Never thought I'd be helping the loving pigs" - Operative Whoever, retired police officer and card carrying conservative :cop:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tories on your team? Appalling.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I guess it's very random because I found so many trans people I was like "okay ubisoft, now you're just over compensating"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

I guess it's very random because I found so many trans people I was like "okay ubisoft, now you're just over compensating"

i mean to be fair outside maybe a couple folks. its mostly random generated.

Strategic Tea posted:

I think you have to take the bizarre characters talking past each other as comedy.

same and its mostly not that bad. i am noticing it because i have almost a full roster.

marktheando posted:

Tories on your team? Appalling.

i have a couple good team dudes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it save system still broken piece of poo poo? Like I legitimately enjoy the game; just loving record my saves you stupid bastards!

donut
Feb 4, 2001

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Is it save system still broken piece of poo poo? Like I legitimately enjoy the game; just loving record my saves you stupid bastards!
I had a couple moments where I manually saved then Alt + F4'd out and found I had to redo whatever the last thing I did was next time I loaded up, but I don't think that ever happened when I actually quit to menu and used the in-game quit button. Nothing like the major issues I've been hearing about though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The people who made this Black Hole of Battersea mission should never, ever design video game levels again.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Started playing W_D:L the other day, and recruited a 71-year-old granny for the sole reason that she looked like the love child of Mollie Sugden and Robert Z'Dar, with a CP2077-style haircut, black lipstick, and clad in leathers. I didn't get a screenshot because honestly I think that a picture would somehow diminish the actual horror that such a creature can conjure in a person's mind.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

orcane posted:

The people who made this Black Hole of Battersea mission should never, ever design video game levels again.

God yeah. It's infuriating, I kept thinking i was doing something wrong and missing a light switch somewhere.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Okay so I realize I'm a million years late but I finally got around to playing this and finish the story. I had fun but the whole experience was more shallow than I would have liked, especially after WD2. I'm actually still in another playthrough of WD2 and was playing that until about a week ago so it's not a case of misremembering only the good parts about an old game. In several ways it feels like a step back from WD2 which is disappointing and also the most infuriating thing about Ubisoft to me: You can tell it was made by a different team that didn't check or know what worked in the previous game(s) in the series. And that's AFTER delaying it for almost a year. TLDR warning, etc.

I played the game on a (base) PS4 and according to my console's error log the game crashed once every day (5 times total). The game also very obviously struggled to load in the new area/textures a few times, and frequently I was having sound issues like music in cars sounding muffled like you're a mile away or voices sounding super distorted or sometimes adding a weird reverb effect. I'll probably but it again on PC for $30 with all the DLC in a year for a 2nd playthrough...

One of the most baffling things to me - after WD2 especially - is how bad the UI is. I know the thread mentioned that before, but stuff like being unable to listen to music while on foot, or having audio logs interrupted by other actions, and having to sit in the menu on the specific log entry to listen to them again is just bad for a game in 2020. The UI is unpolished in other areas, too: I shouldn't have to manually set GPS paths for objectives all the time (the game sets them for parcel delivery missions but nothing else? why?), I shouldn't have to go to the team overview menu just to switch my AR cloak to the spiderbuddy, I shouldn't have to scroll through a grid (that's only 3 characters wide) of up to 40 operatives without being able to sort or filter them. The phone UI in WD2 isn't great for everything, but at least it was better and coherent.

For new features in the series, turning boroughs defiant is such a wet fart I don't even know why it's there. It's completely trivial to do and only turns off the checkpoints, recruitment booths and some of the propaganda on buildings (and sometimes civilians get into fights with guards now), but the boroughs are still full of Albion guards, drones and vehicle patrols. At the same time I actually liked the Albion parts that do get removed with maximum defiance, like for the excitement of running through the checkpoints or to have reliable spawns of Albion recruiters (they give bonus money if you recruit them). Overall it doesn't feel like taking over the boroughs accomplishes much and could have been tied to the Albion story missions instead. I'm left to wonder if that was part of the original service game design (eg. taken over boroughs would generate some resources/XP).

The rest of the gameplay is pretty standard WD fare and it's disappointing there's no real improvement over WD2. It still has too much unavoidable combat with almost every late story mission ending with a "control point" sequence where you have to hold out near a hacked terminal watching your hack% go up while a scripted alarm makes a dozen enemies and half a dozen drones instantly rush your operative from all sides. And by the time I finished the Zero Day chapter I was well and truly sick of these hacking path puzzles. The actual hacking options seemed to be regressing too - Legion has most of the same environment hacks except traffic light/gas mains, which I don't miss much. But not being able to send Albion against the Kelly Family and vice versa is a blatant omission. Also, they shuffled the fun mass hacks into traits that are limited to specific operatives (eg. the hacker or getaway driver) so you can't actually use them at will without switching characters just for the hacks. To me that's not good enough, but it could work in a game where you controlled squads or where operatives learned others' traits.

The Operative Pokemon element is the biggest letdown IMO. It's fun at first, but too shallow and sometimes it's actively undermined by other gameplay elements. Like, the combat focused missions sort of force you to bring someone with tools for an open firefight, your doctor with the tranq darts might reach the end point undetected but then you don't have the best tools to deal with tons of guards who know exactly where to find and shoot you. Or you can recruit people for their disguises but since those only make enemies take a wee bit longer to detect you (and let you through the easily disabled security checkpoints), the guy who does general stealth on top of something else is still better off. On the other hand guards might come with a disguise AND heavy weapons, so why would you ever bother with the guys who get the uniform and a dinky pistol or baton and nothing else?

That's really the main issue with Choose Your Own Operative - you can use "suboptimal" characters for gimmick runs and yes that's fun too, but in general the incentive is to get the "good" operatives with decent trait setups like professional hitmen, spies or maybe the faction guards with heavy weapons. Someone whose only trait is "has car" is not worth it because you can have someone with a car and hacking skills, or a professional hitman who just steals whatever car is nearby (that said, the self-driving taxis and Driver LDN cars are ALREADY THERE, let me call one on any character instead of having to wait for one or steal a random van from traffic - everyone should have a car available somehow :argh:). Your spy who is "doomed" is funny but also theoretically inferior to one who isn't going to randomly die. Your hacker with flatulence will make infiltration harder so just find one who doesn't have the negative trait.

The static way they handle traits, upgrades and weapons makes "recruit anyone" useless for a vast majority of Londoners because you can never give the actor who comes with a fast car a few lethal weapons or hacking traits or even just a 2nd gadget (why can someone who brings their own gadget have two quick select slots for them, but "normal" people can only have one Dedsec gadget and only awkwardly switch it for another one outside of dangerous areas?). Someone with 4 useful traits is strictly superior to someone who only has one or two. Guns should not be limited by type (which sometimes don’t make sense anyway). Unique weapons sometimes work like normal ones but for some reason the doctors' dart gun can only get ammo from chests and parcel fox boxes, but not from regular ammo drops from enemies - but the latter are perfectly happy to refill your electrical shotgun even if the enemy was using a light machine gun? I guess this is where they cut out a lot of service game shenanigans, too. The CYOO aspect like it's set up now would probably work if your squad was actually a squad in game too - ie. you could bring like 3 people who complement each other. But that's even less likely to happen than trait customization.

The other part where CYOO is a hindrance is obviously the plot/cutscenes. Since none of your operatives are fixed, the game has to focus on secondary characters like Bagley (luckily he's great), Sabine (lol) or Malik which sometimes works and often doesn't. Even if you luck into the ideal operative for a cutscene the game opts out of acknowledging that. For example, my first spy was a mid-30s guy with a pleasant accent who was perfect for the SIRS missions except the game didn't know that so my supposed MI-6 spy is completely baffled by everything happening related to SIRS/Malik/Albion.

I liked how they try to tie the NPC schedules together for the recruitment missions, but they get repetitive too quickly so I ended up skipping most of them with the deep profiler by doing two easy jobs with far less travel. So you can either hack some dude who spawns at 09:00 in a specific location then hack another or deliver a parcel. It's nice we have that option but it also felt like cheating at times. Like the CYOO part the profiler is neat but too shallow and the way the system is "cheating" (well, just being a video game instead of a life simulation :v:) is too obvious. You can go and observe your Albion guard working in a restricted station during the day, show up there with that operative and everyone will act like you don't belong there because now you're the player. Inactive operatives just default to their NPC behaviour and don't interact with you or each other outside of the hideout. In the SIRS mission on Trafalgar Square which I was in the post-mission shootout with Albion on my spy and spotted my team's professional hitman trying to flee the chaos like all the other civilians. I actually got him two red lines on the profile via collateral damage during my escape (probably one of my hacked drones or an exploding car). In another mission I met an ex-Dedsec Albion Captain who was hostile because the mission used her as a guard NPC. I instantly recruited her again, she then turned neutral and casually walked out of the hostile area eventually, ignoring all the mayhem going on around us.

Oh and last but not least, the cosmetics seemed oddly expensive – hackable objects are usually 100-200 crypto vs. a lot of clothes are 1000+, gun skins are several thousand and car paint ranges from 500 to 15000 or whatnot. I know they're ~just cosmetics~ but some of my recruits looked dumb and virtual Barbie doll is the only part the "recruit anyone" system is really good at... The "spend 100k on clothes" achievement is actually not trivial, it took me the entire playthrough to earn that much money - I didn't clear all the crypto icons from the map and also spent about 6k on car paint, but I also earned like 20k from exploiting the recruitment fees on some guys (you can dump them and instantly recruit back people with the "bonus crypto on recruitment" trait for 300+ to farm money slowly). Also they made getting new clothes even more annoying than before (WD2 at least had fewer store brands and also only one character to dress up) by spreading recolors across tons of different stores, sometimes without making much sense (eg. there are some Rydel-branded clothes not sold in the actual Rydel store even though their recolors are). And I didn't like these new sidewalk kiosks instead of WD2's copy-pasta interiors, if people were panicking around the store or it was the wrong time of day or it was raining, you couldn't accurately see what you were buying.

Oh and finally, I really wanted an upgrade to increase the speed of heavy cargo drones or let me climb on top of CT drones :ohdear:

E: The TLDR is, I liked it well enough but there's too much room for improvement and WD2 was the better game overall. The only thing I prefer about Legion is London is more interesting to me than SF/Silicon Valley.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Does anyone remember this game? Do I? Well, if you were hoping to pick this up on the cheap several months later because they've slowly patched in basic functionality like online mode, its coming on March 9th...to consoles. It was just delayed again on PC :laffo:

https://twitter.com/watchdogsgame/status/1367928214824378368?s=19

No word on when or if we will see Aiden Pierce's iconic capDLC but judging by the other delays I'm assuming sometime in the next two to five years.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was waiting for someone else to post that, it's really amazing. I don't know what Ubisoft is doing but this game is such a shitshow: The huge delay was apparently to cut out what must have been an absolutely excessive amount of GaaS stuff, because the released game was missing tons of basic features the previous game already had and the recruitment part is a completely pointless/shallow gimmick. The season pass DLC is nowhere to be seen and the online mode keeps being delayed (IIRC it also lacks the invasions that were somewhat popular in the first two games, and you basically have to unlock operatives and customization from scratch, so the MP mode sounds like GTA Online?. Meanwhile new patches are released at an extremely slow pace, tons of people still have performance issues, and they keep adding fun new bugs like "oh half your masks disappeared with this update, we'll fix it with a later update soz m8". Oh but they occasionally release new terrible skins/prestige operatives you can buy with Ubi funbux...

And as far as I can tell consoles still don't have manual saving and just the one save slot :thunk:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I actually just fired this game up again for the first time since finishing the main story back in December. Have a lull in my gaming schedule so I decided to pick up a few miscellaneous trophies. Tracked down all the paste-up locations, did the last one, and...trophy didn't pop. Common glitch, apparently. Only solution is "start a new game and do it all again."

You win, Watch Dogs. I'm out, this time for good.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

They really cocked up this game’s release

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

They really cocked up this game

Fixed that for you.

I usually like Ubisoft mapathons but this game totally fell flat for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I enjoyed it quite a lot, I really got into the NPC system and spent ages messing around with it. And raytraced London looks very nice on PS5.