Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Its the new Ubisoft game! No, the other one. No, the other other one. The hacker one! London this time! Shamelessly stolen from wikipedia:

Watch_Dogs: Legion an upcoming action-adventure game, developed by Ubisoft Toronto and published by Ubisoft. It is the third instalment in the Watch Dogs series, and the sequel to Watch Dogs 2. The game is set within an open world, fictionalised representation of London, and will feature the ability to control multiple characters that can be recruited across the game's setting and who can be permanently lost during the course of a playthrough if players have the permadeath option enabled, providing a more dynamic influence on the game's narrative. The game will also feature a cooperative multiplayer that will allow up to four players to work together. It is due to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Stadia on 29 October 2020, as well for the Xbox Series X/S on 10 November 2020, and for the PlayStation 5 on 12 November 2020 as a launch title for both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S consoles.

The game's story focuses on the London branch of hacker group DedSec, as they attempt to liberate the city from its dystopian surveillance state by recruiting allies from London's inhabitants. At the same time, the group focuses on investigating a string of terrorist attacks they were framed for, and who orchestrated them, discovering a deep conspiracy centered around the head of a private military company.

Overview

Watch_Dogs has always been a bit of a misstep. The first one was buggy, delayed several times, featured gameplay that never really reached its full potential and also had an extremely unlikable protagonist with an extremely iconic hat. Set in the grimdark city of Chicago, Aiden Pierce was a man who infiltrated sex slave auctions and killed bad guys while doing his best Batman growl, all to protect his sister-wife and nephew-son. Alright, I'll level with you; I only played this game for like two hours before just giving up and playing more GTAIV instead. Maybe it had a secretly amazing denouement that I missed out on, but the reviews lead me to believe that it stayed bad.

The sequel, Watch_Dogs 2, went hard at being wacky fun hipster jokes lulz omfg. Set in the bright, shiny city of San Francisco, Marcus Holloway was a man who wanted nothing more than to prank Google and for you to like & subscribe to his twitch channel. It improves on the first game in a lot of ways, and ended up being at its most fun when using the controllable RC jumper and drone to hack various buildings/etc without ever leaving your parked car. Also making the game about a fun-loving 20-something hacker group was the right call, though they went so hard on the memes and jokes that a lot of the humor felt dated less than a year after it came out. Like at one point you hack Martin Shkreli? Ugh, whatever, its fine.

Finally comes Watch_Dogs: LEGION, a game starring....YOU???? The series big gimmick from the very first game was that every NPC was unique, and your role as a hacktivist-vigilante allowed you to peer into their private conversations and get a window into their life. Functionally, this meant if you went into hacker-vision mode you would see any given NPC's randomly generated name, occupation, income level and a random factoid. Some would have little amusing voicemails or text messages you could access, but that was about it. It was a novelty but gameplay-wise they were no different from the randos you run over in any given GTA game. LEGION is supposed to be the realization of that system, where now if you see a rando walking on the street, and you think its funny when you see Brad Smith, Sandwich Artist, Income $28,000/yr, Anime Fetish you can walk up to Brad and do a recruitment mission and then play the rest of the game as Brad. Certain NPCs have special abilities, combat prowess, hacking affinity, sick John Wick gun moves, etc. Some are elderly people. It's an intriguing premise, though anyone who played a few of the radiant quests in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and suffered through the broken, nonsensical conversations is probably skeptical that this whole 'radiant randomly generated protagonist' concept will actually work out smoothly.

Here's a dumb skit of them kinda explaining it a little bit starring C-tier sitcom actors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4c57sXaAQ

And here's a video of a guy with a grating accent loving around with character recruitment and open-world gameplay for a few minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1K5uMza8x4

The last couple minutes of that also shows a pretty funny recruitable NPC so skip it if you wanna go in mostly fresh.

Multiplayer

I think the reason that the series has never really taken off in a big way like your Assassin's Creeds and your Far Cries and your Rainbow Sixes is that at a glance it basically looks like a jankier GTA with magic hacker phones. And...it kinda is? At its best its a stealth puzzle game about stealing data and slipping away unseen. At its worst you're shooting at guys while crouching behind chest high barriers waiting for health regen. One of the best features of the series is the multiplayer, which can either be done in full co op, can come up as an opportunity to try and sneakily hack another player while pretending to be an NPC (or getting hacked and trying to find the hacker) or even joining the cops to try and hunt down a player who has a high enough wanted level. All of it is completely optional but also pretty fun. Pretending to be an NPC sitting in traffic as you watch a player lose his mind running around trying to catch you is one of those things that just never got old, which is not something I'd usually say about a Ubisoft game.

Here's another dumb skit about the co-op, featuring tactical grandmother gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_vG8WZSRk

And here's a mostly narration free few minutes of random moments of four-player co-op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8V-kH5cqbw

Less prerelease stuff about the more adversial multiplayer modes but apparently they're back and...possibly less janky? only time will tell.

I guess the pig guy is the unofficial mascot?

Season Pass

Lastly, it wouldn't be a Ubisoft game without excess amounts of microtransactions, paid DLC and random free patches throw in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYdjRQgN2SU

Basically a bunch of new modes, two storyline expansions, a remastered version of the first game, eventually you'll get to play as Aiden Pierce (iconic cap is a separate microtransaction), Wrench from WD2, a psychic and an assassin. Fair warning: even if the season pass looks good to you, :siren:do not buy the season pass at launch:siren:. Every Ubisoft game goes on sale roughly 1-3 months after release and then every few weeks after that, so buying a season pass for full price when the content won't even be out until 2021 is a fool's game.

So...yep, Watch_Doggies: LEGION. Hacking! London! Bees! Elder abuse! Come join me next week as we bide our time until Cyberpunk 2077 is released!

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

first post reserved for l337 h4x0rz

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah this is definitely a lamer opening act for the main CP2077 event for me. Got it with my miraculous Ampere purchase from a guy who usually cooks sneaker drops or something, so I’ll give it a whirl.

Thanks for the OP, it has kept me from being tempted to play the first 2 to get a feel for the game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RC car/copter sim plus random hacking chaos was great, but they ran out of "puzzles" fast so I'm very glad I didn't pay more than $30 for watch dogs 2.

No idea what to think of this from the marketing and I'm not getting a 3xxx card in time to get it for free so I'm curious to see how well it is in practice.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
They posted a 9 minute breakdown of all the PC options menus/settings -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4WA7d4d5sU

Also, I got this game free with my 3080 lottery win so I will play the poo poo out of it for 3 weeks or until I get bored.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Given choice of this one, or Vikings I'd rather play WD. I hate Vikings, and hate Vikings in the British Isles setup. I'll probably get it some time later on a generous sale, still need to get Disco Elysium before CP2077 lands.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I'm one of those weird people who actively enjoyed both previous Watch Dogs games. I'm also potentially the only person on the planet who didn't like Assassins Creed, so that narrows it down real fast.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I hate how much I want to play this game. They loving hooked me with the "play as anyone" gimmick and I hate that it worked on me. This game is probably gonna suck, but I wanna play it anyway! This sucks! I hate it! Ubisoft is a poo poo company! It sucks!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

In reality, I expect the "play as anyone" thing to boil down to, each NPC has a "class", and there are X number of classes, ranging from elderly person, to hacker, to spy, to drunken brawler, etc. Certain missions in the game will likely require recruiting a certain type of person or a subset of them, with various ways to complete a mission, as WD2 did.

I think the system is going to live or die on how many distinct "classes" of NPC there are, and how much variation there is within that class.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It sounds like there's a class plus 2-3 random skillsets

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah this is definitely a lamer opening act for the main CP2077 event for me. Got it with my miraculous Ampere purchase from a guy who usually cooks sneaker drops or something, so I’ll give it a whirl.

Thanks for the OP, it has kept me from being tempted to play the first 2 to get a feel for the game.

I wouldn't say WD2 is bad, I had a lot of fun with it, the jokes are just a little grating and a little dated and like most Ubi games you'll burn out long before the ending. Still, with a six-day window I dunno if it's worth it unless you already own it and just want to taste the hacker lifestyle before 10/29.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I hate how much I want to play this game. They loving hooked me with the "play as anyone" gimmick and I hate that it worked on me. This game is probably gonna suck, but I wanna play it anyway! This sucks! I hate it! Ubisoft is a poo poo company! It sucks!

welcome brother :hfive:

The 'play as anyone' bit did it for me too. In a weird way it's the same reason I ended up loving MGSV as much as I did; even though it doesn't really matter and in every cutscene you're effectively Venom Snake, the idea that I could kidnap a random Russian soldier and then eventually play as that soldier for the rest of the game was so weird and cool and funny to me, and the fact that they went one further and let you play as the random guys you rescue/abduct from Guantanamo Bay in the previous game blew my mind. Maybe I'm just easily pleased :shrug:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

A significant percentage of the sales of this game will be directly linked to people trying to kill time before CP2077

Ima buy it tho, I liked WD2 knowing that it was basically a GTA game and I shouldn't expect too much from it, and I'm going into this one with the same attitude

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I really liked WD2, mostly just because you can play through the vast majority of the game using stealth and/or hacking without actually killing anybody.

I'm not opposed to violence in games or anything, I just thought it was pretty fun to try to find the ways to NOT use it.

It definitely had it's issues but I'd say it's easily worth a playthrough if you can cop it on sale.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

nominal posted:

I really liked WD2, mostly just because you can play through the vast majority of the game using stealth and/or hacking without actually killing anybody.

I'm not opposed to violence in games or anything, I just thought it was pretty fun to try to find the ways to NOT use it.

It definitely had it's issues but I'd say it's easily worth a playthrough if you can cop it on sale.

Yeah, much like MGSV I probably killed less than maybe a dozen people in the entire game. To me it's just more interesting to sneak through an area unseen choking guys out and distracting them away rather than gunning them all down. The narrative also doesn't really work if you kill a bunch of Google security guards then go "LMFAO prankness achieved!!!" with your Dedsec buddies.

I think the only time I ever used real guns was for bounty hunter MP events where you help the cops chase down another player, and even then it was usually more fun to hack their car to try and drive them off a cliff rather than just shooting at them.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
With all the marketing highlighting permadeath, I was kinda surprised to see a toggle in the options. Not that surprised though.

That said, does having permadeath on mean that enemy NPCs don't respawn either? I want to see an empty London.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

For folks who've played the earlier games, how would you describe Watch Dogs gameplay? Is it action oriented like Grand Theft Auto, but with hacking, or is it more RPG like?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ersatz posted:

For folks who've played the earlier games, how would you describe Watch Dogs gameplay? Is it action oriented like Grand Theft Auto, but with hacking, or is it more RPG like?

Kind of a hybrid like Deus Ex or Prey. At least in 2 you can technically go loud but its a terrible idea compared to driving your quadcopter and rc car around, distracting everybody and hacking all the objectives. If you must drop someone, you silently use a take down (melee) or your stun gun, the "lethal" options are all incredibly loud and make you start playing GTA with even worse gunplay.

Driving an RC car through vents at least makes a lot more sense than walking through them :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Ersatz posted:

There are skill trees to unlock which enable different hacking options, and in the 2nd game beef up your drones, as well as some combat and driving options but I'd liken the skill trees more to recent Far Cry games than any proper RPGs.

The majority of the missions can be tackled in multiple ways with run and gun being the most obvious but they don't really hold your hand with it and let you figure it out. There's always a bunch of things to hack to create options in any given scenario though.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

It's like GTA but less "shoot at all the obstacles in the game" and more "stealth and hack your way through all the obstacles in the game, and pull out a gun if you gently caress that up or if the mission forces you to which is not common"

It's like GTA if they took the emphasis off of mayhem and destruction, and put it more on playing with hacky toys - also there are WAY more interiors in WD than in GTA

disclaimer this is all based on my years-old memories of WD2

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

black.lion posted:

It's like GTA but less "shoot at all the obstacles in the game" and more "stealth and hack your way through all the obstacles in the game, and pull out a gun if you gently caress that up or if the mission forces you to which is not common"

It's like GTA if they took the emphasis off of mayhem and destruction, and put it more on playing with hacky toys - also there are WAY more interiors in WD than in GTA

disclaimer this is all based on my years-old memories of WD2

Yeah in a way thinking of it like GTA is setting yourself up for disappointment because its way more floaty and weightless (similar to the recent AC games) and less meaty stumbly chunky physics, plus the driving/shooting/etc is noticeably worse. There's definitely a much larger emphasis on sneaking and using the RC jumper/drone/mad parkour skillz to sneak in somewhere, grab the data and escape.

And yeah, lots of interiors and vents because you end up inside a lot of office buildings.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

...mad parkour sounds like fun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

black.lion posted:

It's like GTA if they took the emphasis off of mayhem and destruction,

Though you can SWAT someone and call in a gang hit at the same time resulting in complete chaos as cover for you to hack something.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Though you can SWAT someone and call in a gang hit at the same time resulting in complete chaos as cover for you to hack something.

aka, my strategy through the entirety of the game once I unlocked it. It's still nonlethal if I'm not the one shooting, right?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Noticed that there was a Ubisoft sale going on the Xbox store, was mildly amused that they'd gone to these lengths to do a joke (and that the Xbox backend even supports it in this manner - the sale page has all the listed games with swapped pig head art).

But I'm not planning on giving Ubisoft money any time soon. WD2 was passable but very much "yet another one of those". My favorite moment was probably hacking a scissor lift and driving it up the steps to some landmark while running into people. The hide and seek multiplayer was also kinda fun, wish it cribbed more from AC's old multiplayer.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I would be so much more interested in this game if they'd leaned into the WD2 style stealth/hacking more and taken away the player's guns.
Solving problems with drone/rc car/environment hacks and stealth takedowns was the most fun way to play the game, headshotting everyone with the silenced AR was efficient but also very tedious.

Echoing the OP advice to wait for a sale.

hobbesmaster posted:

This never got old. Creating AI on AI fights on-demand turned out to be far more entertaining than anything you can do in the GTA sandbox!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I say it a lot whenever WD2 comes up, but realizing I could play most of the missions without ever having to fight anybody or even have to be in the building/area was a blast. I managed to infiltrate one of the most supposedly secure buildings in San Francisco by just figuring out when people with access were going inside, faking a police report on them and then casually strolling through the now opened doors after police burst in to arrest them and everybody else was focused on Rob from Accounts being hauled away by cops.

Turning rival gangs against each other to wipe each other out, then casually walking through the aftermath and collecting the macguffins you needed was great too. Plus they actually gave you effective non-lethal weapons for the few times you had to fight, so you never had to be a mass murderer like in other GTA-style games.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Jerusalem posted:

Turning rival gangs against each other to wipe each other out...

Jerusalem posted:

...so you never had to be a mass murderer like in other GTA-style games.

:confused:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The non-lethal technique of swinging a pool ball on an elastic rope into peoples skulls at high velocity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

All you did was fabricate a message indicating some random dude was an undercover informant, you didn’t kill anyone or anything like that!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pwnstar posted:

The non-lethal technique of swinging a pool ball on an elastic rope into peoples skulls at high velocity.

yeah pretty much. i believe legion is gonna have way more non-lethal/"non lethal" options. taser guns and poo poo.

anyway. i started over Watch dogs 1 again out of boredom(beat it years ago) and it annoys me because you can clearly see what their original story was gonna be "broken realistic off brand punisher fucks around with hacking powers and he is weird sneaky dude whos own lovely actions got his daughter killed and now he is estranged from his wife and drama from there and one of the major plot beats is stopping trafficker's" but nope. the plot is a weird frakenstein of a bunch of rewrites that to heal well together AND also committee.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 25, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I mean WD2 also definitely did have a Stun Gun as well.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Pwnstar posted:

I'm willing to give this a pass just because non-lethal options that should kill or maim are incredibly common in videogames.

Sure, Marcus' pool ball applies a lot of blunt force trauma to the head, which is very much not good for the health.
But what about Agent 47's chokeout? Asphyxiating someone to extended unconsciousness is super bad for the brain, realistically you're looking at permanent brain damage if they survive.
And Sam Fisher's knockout darts? What if they're on a medication that reacts to the knockout drug, or aren't the right size/weight for the standard dose? The complications could easily be lethal, there's a good reason why anesthesia operations are closely monitored.
Or Corvo from Dishonored? All of the above, plus they might get eaten by rats.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ripper Swarm posted:

I'm willing to give this a pass just because non-lethal options that should kill or maim are incredibly common in videogames.

Sure, Marcus' pool ball applies a lot of blunt force trauma to the head, which is very much not good for the health.
But what about Agent 47's chokeout? Asphyxiating someone to extended unconsciousness is super bad for the brain, realistically you're looking at permanent brain damage if they survive.
And Sam Fisher's knockout darts? What if they're on a medication that reacts to the knockout drug, or aren't the right size/weight for the standard dose? The complications could easily be lethal, there's a good reason why anesthesia operations are closely monitored.
Or Corvo from Dishonored? All of the above, plus they might get eaten by rats.

Deus Ex HR/MD are probably the most comical about this.

Tranq darts aren’t a thing. For large animals after the dart connects a veterinarian needs to start life support. They’re full of an opiate and are in fact inducing anesthesia.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’m actually super psyched to play this. Never played Watch_Dogs before; but the London location & play as anyone feature really appeal to me.

To be honest I’m going to find digital doppelgängers of my friends, housemates and coworkers from when I lived in London and put them into life-threatening situations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is an incredibly cursed thread title, well done

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Andrew_1985 posted:

I’m actually super psyched to play this. Never played Watch_Dogs before; but the London location & play as anyone feature really appeal to me.

To be honest I’m going to find digital doppelgängers of my friends, housemates and coworkers from when I lived in London and put them into life-threatening situations.

thats cool. id like to visit London someday. maybe when the plagues over.

yeah. game looks fun. shooting PMC facists and Chavs gangsters sounds fun.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 25, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

Same, only I'm going to find Dopplegangers of the Golden Girls and run them through a fancy trip to London to help burn down the patriarchy.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Preload and launch time info

Pre-load Start Times

PC (Epic Game Store and Ubisoft Connect): October 26th, 8 AM PDT / 11 AM EDT (North America), October 26th, 4 PM CET (Europe & Middle East), October 27th, 2 AM AEDT (Asia & Oceania)
PlayStation 4: October 27th, 12:01 AM Local Time (All Regions)
Xbox One: Pre-loads are available now (All Regions)

Launch Times

PC (Epic Game Store and Ubisoft Connect): October 29th, 12:01 Local Time (All Regions)
PlayStation 4: October 29th, 12:01 AM Local Time (All Regions)
Xbox One: October 29th, 12:01 AM Local Time (All Regions)
Stadia: October 29th, 12:01 AM EDT (North America), October 29th, 12:01 CET (Europe & Middle East), October 29th, 12:01 AM (Asia & Oceania)

via Toms Hardware

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 25, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Deus Ex HR/MD are probably the most comical about this.

Tranq darts aren’t a thing. For large animals after the dart connects a veterinarian needs to start life support. They’re full of an opiate and are in fact inducing anesthesia.

Actually I think you'll find being shot in the face with a high powered sedative then roughly dragged into a vent by a cyborg where you won't be found for 12-24 hours is super relaxing, like taking a long nap.

:eng101: In WD2 even though its narratively treated as nonlethal mechanically Marcus is in fact killing them. If you shoot someone with a stun gun they get the little Zs and can be woken up, but if you smack them with his 8-ball and wait around long enough for an ambulance to show up the EMTs will declare them dead on the scene. Presumably they could have put in two separate states of unconsciousness a la MGSVTPP where they will wake up faster from certain attacks (to still incentivize melee) but they probably assumed no one cared enough. I mean you can't even pick up bodies the stealth isn't super deep.

Oxxidation posted:

this is an incredibly cursed thread title, well done

The most easily forgotten Ubisoft series deserves the most easily forgotten kids show theme song to match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I recall the official stance is "if you did a melee takedown all sneaky like, then it's ok, it's non-lethal if you want...we just didn't, y'know, bother to program that in or anything".