Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Butcher posted:

That's sort of one of the issues I'm stuck on. Why do we do anything? It's just pain and pleasure in the end.

Everything sort of boils down to that.

So, if we want to model our sort of consciousness, do we need to give it needs in order to generate its own goals?

Do we need to make it be able to feel pain? How does that even work?

Yeah so the big problem is we don't really have any good answers for what consciousness is other than maybe just an emergent affect from an incredibly complex system.
There is also a lot of questions about if you consciously chose to do something or your unconsciousness brain is just doing a whole bunch of stuff in the background and what we think of thinking is basically just a picture show playing based off that stuff and our conscious thinking doesn't actually change anything. It's just an audience.

But yeah pain pleasure, and having emotional reactions -based off pain/pleasure like/dislike- to me doesn't seem to explain anything about consciousness and how it arises, as it's easy enough to code in if keyboard=smashed with hammer then then pain=+1 into a computer but that still doesn't make it feel pain, to feel pain you need to be conscious, so how would that develop then?

Anyway I've always sort of like Dr Dan Dennett (He's a cognitive scientist and philosopher) thoughts on conscious, so might want to check him out if your interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm8M_xQrgCk (only watched first 10 minutes but it seems to be one of his most recent and a pretty good intro to his stuff),
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGPIzSe5cAU (a talk he gave where he goes through a bit more into the science behind his thoughts, but nothing that you would of had to of study the field to actually follow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

someone do something like "cyberskull vaping in the style of van Gogh"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
imagine if they managed to prove that thoughts occur 0.0000001 seconds after the action we think they refer to, proving forever that we literally don't have any control over our actions and only think about them after they happen

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

precision posted:

imagine if they managed to prove that thoughts occur 0.0000001 seconds after the action we think they refer to, proving forever that we literally don't have any control over our actions and only think about them after they happen

Do you think that would change anything about how society is structured?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Strange Aeon posted:

Do you think that would change anything about how society is structured?

no, because most people would be like "lmao what" or "i don't care"

but it would change a lot of people who do care, i think. i mean, speaking for myself, if i had irrefutable proof that i did not ever "decide" to do anything, i would have to go completely insane and invent whole new belief paradigms to explain it to myself, or just give up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
how long does pixray usually take? it's been stuck for an hour on "two princesses standing in front of a mechanical horse under the aurora borealis"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

precision posted:

they already did that, iirc

edit: https://www.nature.com/articles/news.2008.751

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nah that was just hilariously bad statistics

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh yeah! that one doesn't scare me though, because the experiment used isn't like... i mean, i would be scared if it weren't literally "just push this button at a random time". it's not super surprising that there's a big delay there, to me. that doesn't, to me, sound like any kind of removal of authority

if they manage to replicate the same thing with something less ephemeral i'll start poooping

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I've done a lot of uh, experiments... with alcohol and I find the removal of the inhibition filter to be really interesting. And often painful.

It's not "should I do that?" It's just "I'm gonna do that right now" or even "I'm not really sure why I did that."

And even sober, there is still different sorts of acting without thinking with words. Something unexpected approaches rapidly in your peripheral vision and you'll try to block it, you don't internal dialogue "should I block that?".

Weird rear end monkey brains.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 27, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
one time i was pretty sauced at a friend's birthday party, and we were leaning on a railing on a porch, and the railing just straight up broke

my friend tumbled down the hill and everyone was like "holy poo poo"

somehow, i did a literal Matrix/Hollywood stunt scene thing where, as i was falling backwards with a beer in my left hand, i IMMEDIATELY hooked my right arm out and caught the support beam, and pulled myself back up onto the porch. i mean i was fully tilted backwards and on my way down and my brain just went YO DUDE and did this awesome thing, and i sometimes wonder if being drunk actually made that easier?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
A roundabout way of getting Biscuit from HunterxHunter

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 27, 2022

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bernie Sanders shooting jfk

munce
Oct 23, 2010

precision posted:

how long does pixray usually take? it's been stuck for an hour on "two princesses standing in front of a mechanical horse under the aurora borealis"

usually less than 5 minutes per picture

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lord Stimperor posted:

Bernie Sanders shooting jfk

Look he knew it was the only way to get the civil rights act passed, he did what he had to do.

Just let the past be the past!!!!

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"two princesses standing in front of a mechanical horse under the aurora borealis"

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

precision posted:

"two princesses standing in front of a mechanical horse under the aurora borealis"

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Alice in wonderland tea party in the style of HR Giger

Butcher shop in the style of HR Giger

Edit: stuffed animal crucifixion in the style of HR Giger

Edit 2: vaporwave last supper of reptilian aliens

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 28, 2022

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Jim playing a prank on Dwight

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Woodsy Owl posted:

Alice in wonderland tea party in the style of HR Giger

i got some ideas on that subject...

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Applewhite posted:

it appears that Jim's pranks have been very disfiguring

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
This is some Dr. Who poo poo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Maybe "Jim mugs the camera after pranking Dwight"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Applewhite posted:

oh you know i got you

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

oh you know i got you

Jesus lol

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Elon Musk Dressed as Waluigi

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think the only photos of Dwight the AI was trained on were from this scene

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Luna Lovegood playing guitar onstage in a punk band

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Applewhite posted:

This is some Dr. Who poo poo

I'm kind of fascinated at the way it combines recognizable bits of a bunch of different Doctors. Also the Dalek/TARDIS hybrid in the first panel.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The hybrid offspring of an elephant and a shark

An average example of chaos

A yearbook page from MIT, class of 2189

A 1820 woodcut depicting the origin of the universe according to kangaroos

A comfortable but unaffordable bed

A full page advertisement for a perpetual motion machine

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
nailed it on the first try

"pure evil"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
kay this is mildly scary... i put "[my name] performing slam poetry onstage with [my friend's name]", something which definitely happened but which there are no pictures online of. and yet... it uh... it fuckin did it.

this is fuckin wild haha

i mean that even looks exactly like some places we were... and the thing is, right, he died in 2002 or so, that's why i say there's basically no pics of him and me... haha drat jesus

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

TIP posted:

it appears that Jim's pranks have been very disfiguring

Jim mugs at the camera

"Oh, yeah, I've been subtly degrading Dwight's DNA every day for years now. It's hilarious, he can barely move or breathe now."

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

At first I skipped past your prompt and just looked at the images and though "those look like action movie posters", then I scrolled back up and welp,

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Lamebot posted:

A roundabout way of getting Biscuit from HunterxHunter

Holy poo poo lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SniperWoreConverse posted:

someone do something like "cyberskull vaping in the style of van Gogh"

It's not cyber, it's not vaping, but these are pretty good:

Other prompts from the last page I tried:

"Sailor Moon in the style of Baki manga"
Clearly the model doesn't know what Baki is :(, but it knows what Sailor Moon is

The model says you can get 2 of those things, not all three, sorry

"One, two princes kneel before you, that's what I said now"
uhh... :nws:?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 28, 2022

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Good! Your taste has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place in my stomach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Emperor Palpatine grinning while eating Shrek