Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Lol, I just had a driver drop a package off, didn't look at it because he interrupted me when I was making a pizza, but I just checked, and it's for the neighbor, but they marked it as some headphones my kid was expecting today. So that's gonna be a fun one to sort out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Setting up a Pi-Hole on your network takes like 10 minutes and is super simple.

Pi’s are back in stock for MSRP at microcenter now too.

It’s cut down on so many ads and unlike the browser based blockers it blocks the call from even leaving the house.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Amazon actually does spend nontrivial work and time trying to raise the bar and prevent fly by night companies and knockoffs and poo poo. It's an ongoing process that doesn't always stay ahead of what's going on, but it's a constant one.

But Amazon also does poo poo like their "Amazon Basics" home brand, which is 100% "what are people's top selling products? Literally copy them lol, thanks for using Amazon to sell your thing, great numbers, it's our thing now :haw:"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cugel the Clever posted:

I think we've hashed this over in the past, but I'll bite. This is an assertion I see trotted out in a lot of spaces, but I've never seen anything properly evidencing it, so it feels less like a fact than a bias-affirming meme. The third-party seller poo poo? Sure—just like Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, and eBay it's full of sketchy sellers and dubious products that I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole, but that should be obvious. I've seen similar assertions that there's intermingling of third-party items with first. There's plenty of reason to hate on Amazon, but the way these rumors circulate online raises red flags in my skeptic brain. Would be curious to see something concrete.

Several years ago, I might not have believed that Amazon “frequently shovels returned products back into sale with no QC”. I mean, that’s what the “Amazon Warehouse” sublistings of Used - Very Good and such are for, right?

Except, it happened to me. I bought an item new. It was broken in two pieces. I described the damage and returned it. Something like a week later, I bought a replacement from the same listing as “new”, shipped and sold by Amazon.

I received the exact same specimen that I had returned, broken in the same unique way.

So I returned it again and bought from a seller on eBay, where they have more integrity, apparently.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Or bite the bullet and buy direct from the few manufacturers who still produce in a Western country (and charge a sticker price that reflects it)?

This is exactly where I'm at. I'd rather pay a higher price so I can have more accountability and an actual pathway towards resolution if I have an issue with something I've ordered. It's been a rare occurrence, but it's worked out in my favor when that happens.

Contrast that with an experience I had ordering with Amazon a few years ago- they broke up something that was advertised as an all-in-one package and it took weeks to get both parts of the order. I complained and left a negative review, and poof- the company was gone a few days later. But another one popped up under a different name, selling the exact same item for the exact same price, with a bunch of five-star reviews going back less than a week.

bird food bathtub posted:

It's the enshittification of the internet and it's playing out exactly as it has every other time it happens. That cycle isn't going away any time soon, and we're all trapped inside it.

This article is over a year old at this point but it's spot-on and I can't imagine that it's gotten any better- if anything, it's gotten worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who else has gotten fliers in the product box inviting them to post positive Amazon reviews in exchange for money back?

The first time this happened, I reported it to Amazon.

Amazon sent me a form letter that they could not confirm or deny any actions that they do or do not take in regard to fraudulent reviews.

Nothing changed, and I no longer report these things. I cannot confirm or deny that I participate in the schemes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Richard Bong posted:

It’s cut down on so many ads and unlike the browser based blockers it blocks the call from even leaving the house.

This is the way. It saves me from so many ads, even within the prime video app on my old tv. I should really set it up at my new place.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I will remain mad that I got fake loving socks when I ordered from "the manufacturer" through Amazon.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Richard Bong posted:

Oh snap, I had no idea they were finally back in stock, thanks!

And yeah Pihole is great.

I actually ended up just switching my living room and bedroom TVs to Apple TVs instead of firesticks/tv based streaming apps. No or few adds, it just loving works, and is pretty easy too.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah I’ve gotten banged up resealed products when ordering new and paying full price on Amazon multiple times over the past year.

I also got sleeved out by baby formula I got off there (package was incredibly late and showed up opened and resealed) and now I no longer buy anything from Amazon that I care about.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still wild to get glimpse of the scale of Amazon, we got a few packages for a previous resident & tried to get someone to pick them up & they said just to keep them or trash it. Guessing below a certain dollar amount not worth sending a driver.

That happened to us last year.

We mindlessly opened a box and discovered some kids shoes. I was never able to get a hold of someone, after spending 30 min on various sites/links/phone trying to send the products back I gave up. I'm not staying on hold so I can return a misdelivered package.

On further inspection, Amazon managed to deliver a box to the wrong state even. The street address was similar, but that was it.

We ended up donating that package and a few more to the local women's shelter that runs a thrift shop. Some kid got some sweet shoes for cheap that year.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

I will remain mad that I got fake loving socks when I ordered from "the manufacturer" through Amazon.

Wait, what does a fake sock even look like? Was it just a knockoff of a brand, or did you receive a sock without a hole, or made of paper?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey fun fact: when you sell a widget on amazon, amazon charges you fees one of which is the cost to fulfill (ship) the order.

So you sell a thingie and it costs you (say) $10 for amazon to ship and deliver it for you. You're paying them to handle fulfillment, that's how it works.

Now it's three days later and the customer wants a refund because it was late, or delivered wrong, or whatever (none of which have anything to do with you, the seller, and everything to do with Amazon, the fulfillment company) who do you think absorbs that loss? Did you guess Amazon? :wrong:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

ASAPI posted:

That happened to us last year.

We mindlessly opened a box and discovered some kids shoes. I was never able to get a hold of someone, after spending 30 min on various sites/links/phone trying to send the products back I gave up. I'm not staying on hold so I can return a misdelivered package.

On further inspection, Amazon managed to deliver a box to the wrong state even. The street address was similar, but that was it.

We ended up donating that package and a few more to the local women's shelter that runs a thrift shop. Some kid got some sweet shoes for cheap that year.

It just happened again today. The wife was quick and got the driver this time. Maybe they will actually enjoy their gifts this year.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Platystemon posted:

Who else has gotten fliers in the product box inviting them to post positive Amazon reviews in exchange for money back?

i've had a few chinese products that had a card in them saying "leave a review and we will send you a rebate/money off another thing"

I ordered a kid toy last month. I received a box of frosted pinecones. Returned it and was sent the correct item. Pretty much the only time I've had the wrong thing sent to me so far. I guess I've been lucky.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Maine's SecState just kicked Donnie off, stayed pending the Supreme Court. Michigan didn't join, as the state Supreme Court more or less deferred on a ripeness decision until Donnie's officially the party nominee, then the trial court can take another crack at deciding it.

Messy!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
man, kinda shocked to see how many of you still give amazon business. ive only ever ordered a handful of things off of it, but stopped entirely when i went into one of their warehouses as a 3rd party contractor and got to experience the joys those people go through.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

man, kinda shocked to see how many of you still give amazon business. ive only ever ordered a handful of things off of it, but stopped entirely when i went into one of their warehouses as a 3rd party contractor and got to experience the joys those people go through.

I stopped shopping at Walmart for that very reason, except it was as a forklift tech working on the pallet jacks in the receiving areas of a dozen or so stores scattered across the Gulf coast. They were all the same and they were all varying degrees of terrible.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, you are loving up someones world with every dollar spent or, in some cases, not spent.

Eat my rear end for judging me, though.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, you are loving up someones world with every dollar spent or, in some cases, not spent.

Eat my rear end for judging me, though.

no, but theres a slight difference in ethics between supporting the big guy that crushes people under their boot who buy products from companies that are crushing people under their boot, as opposed to an independent retailer who is usually only buying goods from a company that crushes people under their boot, instead of doing any actual crushing themselves.

and eat your own rear end

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is some choice justice. :discourse:

https://twitter.com/Kaylan_TX/status/1740418817845858513

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

My Spirit Otter posted:

Not sure why you’d be shocked. It’s like being shocked to find out people drive a car or eat bread, at this point.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/amazon-prime-adults/

Not just prime, but for a household to use amazon at all, people who abstain from amazon are a minority.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone just nod at this aged tweet and move on.

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1169263666912534528

:hai:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm over the consumer activism thing. I don't have the energy or motivation to search for the vanishingly narrow set of internet-approved shopping locations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

I'm on Oahu, local outlets are expensive, Costco doesn't have everything all the time and I will be damned before I step foot inside Walmart. Options are scant.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The end of free returns will be the start of the Reckoning where people who found shopping online much better than going to a physical store start to realize the drawbacks that they can't just fire and forget when buying poo poo without literally paying for it.

"Oh, online delivery is so convenient! What do you mean I can't go to their store and try it on and, if it doesn't fit, I have to pay four bucks to send it back?"

It's kind of like how streaming services were a novelty, but you might as well just have cable now because the perceived conveniences are fading; no password sharing without an upcharge, streaming rates getting higher...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 29, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CBJSprague24 posted:

The end of free returns

They’re already starting this, but softly.

They change the ways in which you are allowed to return products arbitrarily. It used to be that returns were accepted at Amazon Lockers. Now you can’t count on that. Sometimes the only free option is to go to the service counter at one of their “partner” stores.

Plus the whole “most products are from third‐party vendors” thing complicates it all.

I try not to use Amazon, but sometimes it’s hard. Like there’s a part I need that is on Amazon, shipped and sold by Acme Auto Parts. I go to their website. It’s listed for substantially more there!

I know that I can get on the phone during business hours and negotiate, but it’s frustrating.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

no, but theres a slight difference in ethics between supporting the big guy that crushes people under their boot who buy products from companies that are crushing people under their boot, as opposed to an independent retailer who is usually only buying goods from a company that crushes people under their boot, instead of doing any actual crushing themselves.

and eat your own rear end

loving :lol:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

The first time this happened, I reported it to Amazon.

Amazon sent me a form letter that they could not confirm or deny any actions that they do or do not take in regard to fraudulent reviews.

Nothing changed, and I no longer report these things. I cannot confirm or deny that I participate in the schemes.

probably make a lot more than microsoft rewards

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I shop on Amazon because going to four different stores to find some trivial but specific thing loving sucks, and getting an actual human on the phone to tell you whether that thing is actually in stock before you waste a bunch of time and gas is nearly loving impossible nowadays.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Platystemon posted:

They’re already starting this, but softly.

They change the ways in which you are allowed to return products arbitrarily. It used to be that returns were accepted at Amazon Lockers. Now you can’t count on that. Sometimes the only free option is to go to the service counter at one of their “partner” stores.

Plus the whole “most products are from third‐party vendors” thing complicates it all.

I try not to use Amazon, but sometimes it’s hard. Like there’s a part I need that is on Amazon, shipped and sold by Acme Auto Parts. I go to their website. It’s listed for substantially more there!

I know that I can get on the phone during business hours and negotiate, but it’s frustrating.

Amazon has a (apparently illegal?) policy that the Amazon price has to be the lowest advertised price. There is a lawsuit against Amazon by a state AG over it, but we’ll see how it plays out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Amazon actually does spend nontrivial work and time trying to raise the bar and prevent fly by night companies and knockoffs and poo poo. It's an ongoing process that doesn't always stay ahead of what's going on, but it's a constant one.

But Amazon also does poo poo like their "Amazon Basics" home brand, which is 100% "what are people's top selling products? Literally copy them lol, thanks for using Amazon to sell your thing, great numbers, it's our thing now :haw:"

If it makes you feel better the copying is going to the factory the drop shipper/resellers are using and asking for the same thing from the factory.

Once you understand how that all works reading between the lines on the occasional “Amazon stole our product” articles are funny. Yes, Amazon can ask for a factory in China to white label a thing with options a, b and c just like you can. Who knew?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

hobbesmaster posted:

If it makes you feel better the copying is going to the factory the drop shipper/resellers are using and asking for the same thing from the factory.

Once you understand how that all works reading between the lines on the occasional “Amazon stole our product” articles are funny. Yes, Amazon can ask for a factory in China to white label a thing with options a, b and c just like you can. Who knew?

Contract manufacturing is a hell of a thing

(Always buy the store brand, it’s literally the same product)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Contract manufacturing is a hell of a thing

(Always buy the store brand, it’s literally the same product)

Not always, sometimes the money for the name brand really does actually pay for better materials.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I pay extra for name brand granola and oatmeal and yogurt. I'm very particular about breakfast. Store brand for most other things though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Parmesan cheese, the powder stuff for spaghetti, also matters on the brand. Don't trust the Walmart brand, it's a fuckin trap

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ive worn a rut in my phone screen scrolling past your posts, so its nice seeing you be concise for a change.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I watched an Amazon driver hurl a package 15 feet from my driveway to my front door, banking it neatly off the door onto the welcome mat, it was really impressive and that guy should get a raise.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elviscat posted:

I watched an Amazon driver hurl a package 15 feet from my driveway to my front door, banking it neatly off the door onto the welcome mat, it was really impressive and that guy should get a raise.

He will be allotted five (5) additional minutes in the AmaZen booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Platystemon posted:

He will be allotted five (5) additional minutes in the AmaZen booth.

a work endorsed beat off booth?