Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zephro posted:

One final make-or-break question: does it still have the hilarious Dick van Dyke-quality terrible "British" accents? This is a serious question that will deeply influence my decision whether to buy this game or not

Not only does it have that, a good chunk of characters all have their own goofy voices now too.

Including: Unfrozen Nazi, ye olde english knight reenactor cosplayer, goth girl, swedish metal frontman and more

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, I haven't played in months and there's still too many lowbie Gunslingers around

Myself included

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I still think Demo is mostly fine, if not perfectly balanced. It just needs a little help to make it not as reliant on other players to be effective and not having basically only one optimal skillset build which makes you look stupid if you pick otherwise. Even on suicidal, it's easy to solo Fleshpounds and even Scrakes if you're given enough leeway to aim a rocket launcher headshot. I'm speaking from the perspective of somebody who's level 25 as demo, but even pre-nuke I felt like I was given the tools to handle most any situation save for getting swarmed. It absolutely sucks for bosses, though.

I do agree that Commando is the absolute worst class just because it just feels like you're constantly shooting a weaker version of Gunslinger weapons on top of not having anything particularly interesting to bring to the table besides just having a lot of ammo. It needs some crazy gun like the Microwave Gun and Pulverizer or an insanely powerful weapon like the AA12 and rocket launcher to make it interesting, like a minigun or something. Commando also really needs skills that actually reward people being good at Commando. Something that rewards things like getting a bunch of headshots or properly tracking enemies with constant fire. Just something besides generic "reload fast, do some extra damage" skills that can be slapped onto any class.

As another statement of class balance blasphemy, I also think support is (just barely) the second worst class, but it makes up for it with things like ammo supplier. Support feels a lot like a generalized class but the result is just a bunch of tools which aren't as effective as they set out to be. Granted, I'm comparing it to Firebug's ability to crowd control, Gunslinger's ability to take out select targets, and Demo's ability to absolutely decimate everything, but that just goes to show that you're better off deciding on which niche you want to fill rather than just being a jack of all trades.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I feel that commando is actually a support class in the sense that he can prolong zed time so that other players can make the most of their zed time abilities. Also he's efficient trash cleaner, meaning the hard hitting players can focus on the big zeds.

Commando does need some buffs, but he's not that bad as a part of the team.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Zephro posted:

So Killing Floor 2 is on sale.

I quite liked KF1. I never got into it in any kind of hardcore way but it was fun to play at LAN parties, especially with the story missions. I'd been keeping a vague eye on KF2 and hearing mostly good things about it. I was going to buy it just now and stopped to look at the reviews. Pretty much every recent review is negative, and the complaints are mostly the same - not all the classes are in, they've put in a microtransaction store (which is bad in itself) before actually finishing the game (which is worse), development is slow, the skill ceiling is really low, they're spending dev time on PVP and/or a PS4 version when the base game isn't actually finished... Basically accusing the game of being a freemium cash-grab.

It's kind of put me off. But maybe it's just EA people disappointed that the game isn't what they hoped. Is there a goon consensus? Is it a good game for fourteen of the Queens' finest pounds?

It's a good game; I bought it at launch for full price and I feel I've long since got my money's worth for it.

The microtransaction stuff is a complete non-entity. While I get people not liking that they got the store in and working before delivering the other classes, it doesn't affect the game negatively at all. You get drops, all of which are cosmetic, sell them or use them. You don't have to spend a dime outside of the initial purchase price to enjoy the game.

Class balance is up and down but I wouldn't call any class outright broken or useless. Just, some shine brighter than others.

The bottom line, though, is that it's a very polished very fun game, assuming you liked KF1 or horde-mode games in general.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wow, Shoot and Scoot does wonders for the Gunslinger's feel. I imagine you can kite swarms of zeds at max level thanks to the class movement bonus.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah 14 GBP is a good price for this game. I do not play the game regularly because the screwed up balance makes it feel very 'off' to me and I think dozen hour long leveling grinds are loving ridiculous, but at its soul this game is still KF1 with more stuff on top and that's the big thing I always wanted out of KF1.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I haven't played this game in a while but the sales price is good. It's a decent game you'll get some fun hours out of (and way more if you have a group of friends to fill a server with), just frustratingly not the amazing game you can frequently see in its potential.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Yardbomb posted:

Not only does it have that, a good chunk of characters all have their own goofy voices now too.

Including: Unfrozen Nazi, ye olde english knight reenactor cosplayer, goth girl, swedish metal frontman and more

I'm sorta bummed that they made the Chivalry guy a nerd with bad olde English lines instead of a maniac who only shouts variants of yaaaargh.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I haven't played this game in a while but the sales price is good. It's a decent game you'll get some fun hours out of (and way more if you have a group of friends to fill a server with), just frustratingly not the amazing game you can frequently see in its potential.

Said it better than I could've. Agree on all parts.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Zephro posted:

Hm, OK. Thanks. I guess I'll pick it up, then. Shame about Demo, that was my favourite KF1 class :)

One final make-or-break question: does it still have the hilarious Dick van Dyke-quality terrible "British" accents? This is a serious question that will deeply influence my decision whether to buy this game or not

most important patriarch still says 'ONE IN THE PIPE'

so yeah buy it

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Theta Zero posted:

I still think Demo is mostly fine, if not perfectly balanced. It just needs a little help to make it not as reliant on other players to be effective and not having basically only one optimal skillset build which makes you look stupid if you pick otherwise. Even on suicidal, it's easy to solo Fleshpounds and even Scrakes if you're given enough leeway to aim a rocket launcher headshot. I'm speaking from the perspective of somebody who's level 25 as demo, but even pre-nuke I felt like I was given the tools to handle most any situation save for getting swarmed. It absolutely sucks for bosses, though.

I do agree that Commando is the absolute worst class just because it just feels like you're constantly shooting a weaker version of Gunslinger weapons on top of not having anything particularly interesting to bring to the table besides just having a lot of ammo. It needs some crazy gun like the Microwave Gun and Pulverizer or an insanely powerful weapon like the AA12 and rocket launcher to make it interesting, like a minigun or something. Commando also really needs skills that actually reward people being good at Commando. Something that rewards things like getting a bunch of headshots or properly tracking enemies with constant fire. Just something besides generic "reload fast, do some extra damage" skills that can be slapped onto any class.

As another statement of class balance blasphemy, I also think support is (just barely) the second worst class, but it makes up for it with things like ammo supplier. Support feels a lot like a generalized class but the result is just a bunch of tools which aren't as effective as they set out to be. Granted, I'm comparing it to Firebug's ability to crowd control, Gunslinger's ability to take out select targets, and Demo's ability to absolutely decimate everything, but that just goes to show that you're better off deciding on which niche you want to fill rather than just being a jack of all trades.

Honestly, I do agree Demo is great, but before you break into level 15 your use against Fleshpounds is severely limited as the game loves spawning them with supporting Sirens. Commando is a decent all-rounder, but yes, not an excellent class at any role; but I do have to concur that Support is pretty weak at the moment, mainly due to how expensive it is for them to shoot, but the AA12 still feels like the best weapon in the game in terms of wiping out trash and dealing spike damage against everyone and shooting Zeds with the Hunting shotgun feels amazing most of the time.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Just some input on PvP

- Would like to see it less round focused and more continuous wave focused, then a switch teams, and then whoever lasted the longest/committed the most murder wins. This could mean limited survivor respawn, but also should mean the shop stays open constantly. The way it's currently structured means only one side ever gains a benefit besides catharsis and could limit VS survival play population very soon. Progress shouldn't be a factor in just having fun, but more time spent in VS survival means overall less leveling which means less fun in survival and other future modes.
- Would like to see some middle of match control and customization of Zed ability and spawns. Zeds could have their own scoredboard, and can spend those points on Zed variants to improve their capabilities or sink a bunch on making sure you spawn as a specific Zed. Like say "High Velocity Bile" for a Bloat, which means bile shoots farther, or a "Cryo Tank" for the Husk, so instead of flames he shoots super cooled nitrogen which slows down enemy survivors. Make these in opposition to some current choices, like no mines if you have high velocity bile, no suicide if you've taken cryo tank for Husk.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Honestly, I do agree Demo is great, but before you break into level 15 your use against Fleshpounds is severely limited as the game loves spawning them with supporting Sirens. Commando is a decent all-rounder, but yes, not an excellent class at any role; but I do have to concur that Support is pretty weak at the moment, mainly due to how expensive it is for them to shoot, but the AA12 still feels like the best weapon in the game in terms of wiping out trash and dealing spike damage against everyone and shooting Zeds with the Hunting shotgun feels amazing most of the time.

Demo is someone who needs a lot of cash early and his early gun is loving atrocious and doesn't help in the least in getting the cash you need. The release of Gunslinger was the best thing that could have happened to the demo just cause the Deagle is so good for it's cost, but that's precisely why Demo is poo poo, if you actually NEED to use other class weapons (cause doing so for flavor/extender flexibility is complely okay) then it means that there's a problem with the class. Also the level 15 perk is such a no-choice it should just be in the game as a basic mechanic, even if just for the Dynamite.

Support got actually a massive boost with the recent AA12 price reduction, the 200 dosh less for it helps you get it before the big guys come round pretty reliably, can't wait till I hit lvl 15 and can actually carry AA12 and the M4 Combat Shotty.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

oh yeah you also literally cannot see your ping/teammates/score when playing as a Zed and that seems to be an obvious oversight/glitch with Versus atm

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So yeah, the conductor really REALLY likes to spam Sirens at you. Goddamn.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Either the commando could get some LMGs that weigh too much to carry anything else, or there could be a different class for them.

But having machineguns would be fairly fitting in the game and amplify the "cleaner" aspect of Commando.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Kikas posted:

can't wait till I hit lvl 15 and can actually carry AA12 and the M4 Combat Shotty.

As a Lvl 25 support I actually have to recommend you take the AA 12, a Hunting Shotgun and a medic pistol at exactly 15 weight. It's definitely personal preference but this gives you the damage, fun, and versatility to be a well rounded support

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

they got the original two dudes and modelled them in the game too, so you can still run around as alan wilson going on about DOSH. He doesn't say money money moneeeyy as much though :(

also siren spam makes that perk firebug levelling map a right pita

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ana is a punk rocker archetype not a goth. :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kikas posted:

can't wait till I hit lvl 15 and can actually carry AA12 and the M4 Combat Shotty.

That's level 20.

Level 15 unlocks Tactical Reload so you can actually use the hunting shotgun instead of it being an expensive paperweight.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
The more I play Prison, the more I like it, though I'm not sure that the exercise yard that everyone seems to hold out in is the best place to be. There's a lot of paths in that the Zeds can take and all the poo poo in the yard just makes for a lot of stuff to get hung up on when you're kiting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

As I usually end up as the Medic in Suicidal games with my friends (because none of them have Medic at a decent level) I absolutely love that place because it is easy to keep track of everyone to keep their health topped up.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My group is pretty mobile in prison but we do tend to gravity either towards the exercise yard or the trader by that one open area with the shanty ramp.

Our constant locational goal is the prison showers, though. They're incredibly well-hidden and we can never remember the way back to them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish being Medic would let me shoot and kill the idiots who wiggle back and forth on the spot at all times, thereby making it impossible to heal them. :v:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Lemon-Lime posted:

I wish being Medic would let me shoot and kill the idiots who wiggle back and forth on the spot at all times, thereby making it impossible to heal them. :v:

The secret level 30 medic perk is the game auto-muting all the suicidal dipshit pubbies who expect me to aim darts at them when they run off two rooms away to solo a fleshpound

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

As a Lvl 25 support I actually have to recommend you take the AA 12, a Hunting Shotgun and a medic pistol at exactly 15 weight. It's definitely personal preference but this gives you the damage, fun, and versatility to be a well rounded support

But I hate the hunting shotgun, it's just one long constant reload :v:

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
any pubbie that whines about not getting healed should be auto kicked.
I dont need that kind of negativity in my life.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I tried and liked VS mode, but the zeds feel really anemic to me unless you are playing Bloater. L4D's versus mode was really built around teamwork because all of the zeds were able to either hold someone in place or drag them out of the group somehow. Here it is no big deal to just hole up in a corner, then as a zed your only choice is to run into the mass and hope for the best.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Sirens have a (weak) pull skill, and Crawlers have a suicide move that creates a big gas cloud -- they aren't even really worth attacking with since the faster you die the faster you control another zombie. Just hop in (they jump crazy far), detonate, and turtling humans get hosed

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'm tickled by how the Devs countered how unfun being a crawler could have potentially been in VS. I will say though that I'd like the crawler and Husk suicide buttons to be moved, more than one time I've jammed the key for a crawlersplosion, then spawned into a Husk just to watch it go into the suicide animation :(

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Kikas posted:

But I hate the hunting shotgun, it's just one long constant reload :v:

With the tacticool reload perk it's really not that bad, just gotta kite or align your shots which you pretty much have to do anyway

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think the Husk suicide should be locked to only be active under a certain health threshhold, would be a good way to balance it and keep accidents like the above from happening.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

ZearothK posted:

I think the Husk suicide should be locked to only be active under a certain health threshhold, would be a good way to balance it and keep accidents like the above from happening.

Yeah, besides dumb misclicks I'd rate the Husk as the most potent player controlled Zed. Ranged attack, good melee range AoE, decent melee, and the ability to combo exceptionally well with a Siren or Crawler. A Scrake/Pound is cool and all but they don't have a lot of tactical utility compared to the Husk, Bloat, Siren and Crawler, they're just meatier gorefasts that hit harder. How does the Alpha Clot "Rally" work BTW?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I will defend the bookstick until they day I die (due to having ankles chewed off by a crawler); it's a great panic button against trash and if you get your timing down right you can kind of run in, stick both barrels into a Scrake's mouth, and cork them in a few runs. I love that gun.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In Prison, PC husks can literally sit behind a wave of trash and destroy human teams by themselves.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Just bought this on sale. Played a few rounds and enjoying it so far but I feel like I'm missing something. Any advice on how to play for a beginner? I'm basically running around shooting things. (Unless that's pretty much how you play it?)

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

iLikeMidgets posted:

Just bought this on sale. Played a few rounds and enjoying it so far but I feel like I'm missing something. Any advice on how to play for a beginner? I'm basically running around shooting things. (Unless that's pretty much how you play it?)

pretty much. Stay in Normal for a bit till you get the hang of it before bumping up to Hard.
Stick to buying class (perk) specific weapons. (except a medic pistol, everyone should buy a medic pistol to heal your bros)
Stay away from Demo, it's shite.

Basically kill poo poo, buy better weapons, kill poo poo some more.

Q is quick heal for your self, Backspace drops the weapon you are holding.

DON'T loving WELD DOORS!!!!!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

B gives away money when you need to help out your homies.

Press V to bash enemies, which will stun them for a bit. This is great and you should always use it when a Zed gets in your face (even the big ones and the bosses) or when you need to shut up a Siren right now. There is a cooldown before they can be stunned again, so you cannot stunlick them. You can use this to save people's lives when you see them being chased. You can also shoot Zeds in the leg to stumble them to save your mates.

Don't shoot the big guy with the chainsaw unless there are few distractions and the group can focus fire on the bastard.

Oh, and stick together, specially on higher difficulties.

Feel free to boost your level, but don't play on Suicidal or Hell on Earth before actually knowing the maps and the game.

I think these and the above are all you need to have a smooth start. If you feel you need more, read this guide. If you few you need to know way too much about the game, check this document.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it my imagination or did the thread tag change for a moment