Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Leon Einstein posted:

Where does it say she was sleeping?

ah, you're right, i misinterpreted the mention of lying on her back with her stomach out, thought she said she was napping not just lying down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not /relationships but fits there 100%

quote:

(MA) Hospital placed a wire in my arm to track me, without my knowledge or consent. Photo included for proof. I have called multiple law offices but no one is returning my calls. Somebody please, please help me.

About three weeks ago, I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital due to various problems. It's a long story, but the short version is I have schizoaffective personality disorder and I was not taking my meds properly. After I was stabilized, I was discharged, but it has come to my attention that something is terribly wrong.

The hospital has placed a wire in my arm that I believe acts as a tracking device. It is quite obvious, especially when I flex my arm-- I can see it bulge in my wrist. I tried to take a picture but imgur is not letting me upload.

This has caused me great distress. I stay locked in my house because I'm afraid of going somewhere or doing something "wrong" and getting forced back to the hospital. I've also become concerned about my medications. If the hospital staff inserted a wire without my consent, what have they done with my meds? I have Zyprexa and haldol, but I dare not take them now.

I have a few questions about the legal aspect of all this:

The insertion of the tracking device without my consent-- surely that's not legal? My understanding is the patient has to consent before a medical procedure is done.

The distress caused by this, does that count as damages? Should I sue?

How on earth do I get the wire removed? I don't have money to pay a surgeon to remove it. Can I get the psych hospital to pay for it?

I've called several law offices in my area and explained my case, but no one has called me back. I feel so isolated and I'm getting desperate. Please, somebody help me.

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who has talked to me. I guess legal advice is not really what I needed. I am calling an ambulance and getting help.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

tater_salad posted:

This is sad because they have paranoid schizophrenia. Poor thing. Glad they called the ambulance!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

This is sad because they have paranoid schizophrenia. Poor thing. Glad they called the ambulance!

Right I agree 100%

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

tater_salad posted:

poo poo on reddit as much as you want, but the people in that thread were really excellent. They worked to calm and reassure the guy, there were only 3ish posts that were deleted by mods. There were EE people assuring them that it wasn’t possible, people talking about that they had the same tendon as in the picture etc... I’m glad someone is getting the help they need and it’s kinda an uplifting thing to read first post in the morning.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

I'm honestly impressed that person managed to write up such a coherent post while having an episode.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh hey, it's a client. (not mine, I don't work in MA)

I'm glad they went to the hospital to get more help. :unsmith:

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
Reminds me of the Carbon Monoxide ones. Scary stuff.

quote:

My (33M) Sis-in-law (41F) is coming to our house because hers is haunted.

I cross-posted this to the ask Doctors sub.

My sis-in-law has for the past week been experiencing noises, apparitions, and "visitations" during the night. She believes she is seeing ghosts and last night three spirits (up from one) came to her. She is a fully-functioning adult who has never had any behavior like this previously and there's been no big event in her life that might cause a psychological break though she has had depression before. I think that it is more likely she is experiencing hallucinations from carbon monoxide poisoning. I have read online that you can test for CO but I'm not sure for how long after exposure it is detectable; she hasn't slept in nearly three days and is coming to our house (multi-hour drive) for the weekend. What can we do to help? I'm not sure how to tell her "Sis, this may all be in your head let's go to the ER" when she fervently believes ghosts have been afflicting her.

tl;dr: Who you gonna call?

Edit: she got here five hours ago and has slept the whole time. She doesn't want to go to the hospital because she's afraid she'll be committed. We will have her apartment checked for environmental factors.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
Did a search for Carbon Monoxide and this one popped up...

quote:

Me (32F) had to move in with family, things go missing

Short version: Abusive ex tried to kill me. Moved in with family. Trying to find a decent place to rent but it's a small area and rentals that aren't slums are hard to find.

As the title suggests, since I have been staying here, my things have started to go missing. Mainly clothes and keys. Some things "turn up" after a few weeks aka suddenly appear in my closet or wherever. Some things are just gone, in spite of me doing such an extensive search that I have emptied out entire rooms and put their contents back, but still no items.

So tonight, I went to get a bag of personal items from where I keep them. Think sexual personal items, not items that anyone should want to borrow! These weren't cheap novelty items either. The entire bag is gone! Just like the other items, I have torn apart several places looking for the bag, but it's just gone. Of course this isn't a bag that I would just casually lay anywhere, so I know where I last had it.

Every time something goes missing, everyone in the house helps look for it, but 8 out of 10 things never turn up again. Nothing that has gone missing has any value to anyone but me (unless there's a black market for used sex toys, if so, I don't want to know!). Questioning people gets me no where, and I just feel violated. I can't put a lock on my door, so I have no idea what to do. It almost feels like someone is playing weird mind games with me, but I have no idea what the purpose would be ( and no, there aren't any carbon monoxide leaks! :) ).

I guess my mandatory question would be: How do I deal with this until I am able to move out?

Tl,dr: U so ugly yur sex toys ran away

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pick posted:

Me [24 /F] with my husband [35M], married 5 yrs. I feel like a slave.Relationships
1,227 points 337 comments submitted 1 year ago by Thrownaway889 to r/relationships

quote:

He also frequently says that im the only good thing in his life and he'd kill himself if I ever left

You should definitely leave anyone that says this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Admiral Ray posted:

You should definitely leave anyone that says this.

Yeah it's practically a giveaway.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Is it wrong that I [25F] want to break up with him [36M] because he doesn't make enough money?

quote:

We've been dating for a few months now and have settled into a relationship. I really like him and feel like we have good chemistry, but I asked myself today if I could see him as someone I'd want to marry and honestly he's not- simply because he doesn't make enough money. I know how shallow and fickle that is, but I grew up poor and I've worked extremely hard to build a high-paying career for myself, and the idea of committing myself to someone that makes far less than me and putting me in danger of being in that position again honestly scares me. I also don't want to be the provider in this relationship- especially as he's over 10 years my senior- it just makes me uncomfortable. Is it wrong to break up with someone on this basis alone? He has no goals to ever get a high earning job or climb a ladder, because he does really love his job and I admire that, but it has a very low salary and it worries me a lot. How should I deal with this situation?

Just to add- I'm not looking for someone that makes a lot more than me- I don't have any desire to be a gold digger. I'd just really like to find someone that makes the same amount or there-about.

EDIT: This man is a primary school teacher. Not a lazy bum, or a person working a dead-end job, or a person who can't hold down a job. I've never implied that he was any of those things, but people have been assuming that this is the case themselves, and then blame me when I explain that he isn't one. He isn't. He has an amazing job, it just earns considerably less than mine and puts me in a position where I'm the main provider in the relationship. That's all.

tl;dr: Boyfriend earns much less than me and it makes me feel like I could never be with him long-term.

Failed musician? Barista? Guess.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

La Brea Carpet posted:

Is it wrong that I [25F] want to break up with him [36M] because he doesn't make enough money?

Stories of self-sabotage are my muse.

Reading into the comments it looks like they've only been dating a few months anyway. This lady needs dump this impoverished no good loser and find her a corporate attorney or surgeon to ignore her as she spirals into alcoholism and benzo abuse.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

La Brea Carpet posted:

:sever: so he can find someone better.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
man if there's only one lady orc no wonder he softballs a proposition for sex to will smith

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
... that's the wrong thread but that's ok.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

La Brea Carpet posted:

Wasn’t expecting that one. That chick should gently caress off so dude can find a non-fickle non-garbage woman to date.

My parents were both teachers and they provided for us just fine and they had insanely good health insurance/dental. (And they had a schedule where they could come to all of my soccer matches/track meets)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It turns out what baby boomers got isn't the same as what millennials get, though. Your parents or grandparents could've had HS diplomas and worked at factories and still raised a family just fine, not so much anymore.

I think this part goes a long way

quote:

I grew up poor and . . . putting me in danger of being in that position again honestly scares me

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

Me [24 /F] with my husband [35M], married 5 yrs. I feel like a slave.Relationships
1,227 points 337 comments submitted 1 year ago by Thrownaway889 to r/relationships

bad news honey - you've hit the magic 5 year mark - he's now "accustomed to a certain lifestyle" and thanks to the magic of feminism you can be ordered to pay him alimony until he dies if you divorce :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

Why are you dating a dude 11 years older than you with no financial prospects. Its a buyers market for women, dont get hung up on the cute home with character.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

When that happens to me I always immediately cop to it and cover my tracks, but one day I hope to be brave enough to let them stand without explanation, like the guy who kept posting his fitness log in the abortion thread.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

When that happens to me I always immediately cop to it and cover my tracks, but one day I hope to be brave enough to let them stand without explanation, like the guy who kept posting his fitness log in the abortion thread.

To be fair theyre all losing weight

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

bad news honey - you've hit the magic 5 year mark - he's now "accustomed to a certain lifestyle" and thanks to the magic of feminism you can be ordered to pay him alimony until he dies if you divorce :)
I can't find any states that award permanent alimony after only 5 years, and permanent alimony is super rare regardless of marriage duration.

Btw, there are literally only 400,000 people in the entire US receiving alimony. Someone getting all worked up about it is a good sign they're hanging out in MRA circles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

Yeah, but he said he’ll kill himself if she leaves, so problem solved!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barudak posted:

To be fair theyre all losing weight

:drat:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Pick posted:

It was pretty apropos. I totally forgot the other thread and scrolled up to find the post I missed.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Pick posted:

I (33F) went to sleep a year ago with my wonderful new husband (40M). I woke up next to a stranger in his body. I can't be two people.

The answer is simple. Theres a stranger in your house; it took a while to figure out. He can't be who he says he is, it's gotta be someone else. Cuz he wouldn't touch you like that, and he wouldn't treat you like he does. He would adore you. He wouldn't ignore you. So I'm convinced, there's a stranger in your house.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Anne Whateley posted:

It turns out what baby boomers got isn't the same as what millennials get, though. Your parents or grandparents could've had HS diplomas and worked at factories and still raised a family just fine, not so much anymore.

I think this part goes a long way
If your primary fear is being poor again then fiscal prudence combined with a stable job are much better ways of allaying that fear than a flashy higher paying job. The fact that the economy is changing puts a premium on job sectors that are more resistant to automation and not prone to the whims of consumer demands. Primary school teacher isn't the gold standard there, but it's well towards the stable side of things. Plus, she has the high paying job so unless he's trying to live above his means his having a very stable but not well paying job isn't hurting any. It sounds like her actual concern, what she keeps coming back to in the rest of the post, is that she makes more money and doesn't like the fiscal imbalance in their relationship, whether because of actual legitimate concerns about his behaviour that she isn't writing about or because of ingrained gender role ideals or because of broader life goals than "not falling back into poverty."

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Pick posted:

My [26F] boyfriend [30M] just found out the reason behind his snoring and I am terrified

My then girlfriend and now wife is the reason I found out I have sleep apnea as well (almost this exact situation in fact) and I can’t stop thanking her for it, six years later. Seriously, a CPAP machine has changed my life.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pick posted:

man if there's only one lady orc no wonder he softballs a proposition for sex to will smith

LOL. I was like,"gently caress! How the hell did I manage to post that in the wrong thread?" I'm using the app, so don't have multiple tabs open. Centaur riot cop was awesome.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Classical Muzak posted:

My then girlfriend and now wife is the reason I found out I have sleep apnea as well (almost this exact situation in fact) and I can’t stop thanking her for it, six years later. Seriously, a CPAP machine has changed my life.

My dad used to snore so badly it terrified my friends when I had a sleepover for my 12th birthday. He’s had a CPAP for about 7 or 8 years now and same, it made a world of difference (beyond just the snoring).

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I can't find any states that award permanent alimony after only 5 years, and permanent alimony is super rare regardless of marriage duration.

Btw, there are literally only 400,000 people in the entire US receiving alimony. Someone getting all worked up about it is a good sign they're hanging out in MRA circles.

I was being hyperbolic.

It typically ends if they marry again.

But at the 5 year mark he probably could get alimony especially if he spun his nonwork as depression that requires treatment

For the record alimony is a good thing but a lot of case law got turned sideways when courts started ruling men can get it. There was an interesting piece in I think NYT talking about it recently

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Most alimony is time-limited regardless of remarriage. Most states require 10 or 15 years of marriage before the possibility of anything. The Supreme Court ruled against gender bias in alimony in the 1970s.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Almost every alimony situation I personally know of is hot garbage, regardless of gender. The one I hate the most is this lady who was the sole breadwinner for her loser, able-bodied husband for almost ten years while he did nothing but lift weights and hang at the coffee shop and after she finally divorced him she has to pay him out for the rest of his life. He still doesn't work and lives in a trailer out of state solely on the money she earns at her job as a public servant as a woman in her 50s. He's the sole reason she can't retire.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

La Brea Carpet posted:

"I love educating children and inspiring the next genera-"

BUT MONEY

I wish I knew what area they were in. Teacher salaries and benefits often get trashed but in some areas, they can make pretty solid money and I would so love for him to be making 50k+.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 30, 2017

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yeah I'm of the mind alimony is complete bullshit. You shouldn't be legally obligated to take care of a capable adult like that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
money money money

always sunny

in the rich man's world

woooOOOooooOOOoo h oh oh! WooooOOoooOOoo o oh oh!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If I suggested my husband give up his career and do nothing but lift weights to look hot for me and then dumped him after 20 years, I think it'd be fair if he were awarded alimony. If all he was going to do was lift weights anyway, well, I got a bad deal in that marriage.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Scathach posted:

Yeah I'm of the mind alimony is complete bullshit. You shouldn't be legally obligated to take care of a capable adult like that.

Ok, picture this. You get married. You have a high paying job, and you love your wife.

You tell her to pursue her passion - art, writing, whatever. You're a team, and you can bring in enough that you're comfortable, especially since you're both childfree.

10 years later, he gets restless. He decides to divorce. She has 10 years of no job history, little to no assets.

If you throw in kids it's especially bleak.

This can create situations where the wife stays in unpleasant, even abusive situations because the alternative is starvation.

But flip the genders around and *poof*. Maybe alimony isn't a good idea :lol:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/role-reversal-wives-angry-paying-alimony/story?id=8662940

Though to be clear, I was mostly LOLing that the woman stayed in a lovely marriage so long... you won't get perpetual alimony after 5 years but you'll get some most likely, and if she'd been quicker that wouldn't be the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah alimony generally protects a woman whose job was home-maker, caretaker, and/or mother. There are edge cases.