Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, if your takeaway from Death Note was "man it would be awesome if someone had the ability to kill anyone anywhere however they wanted and used that ability to get rid of all the Bad People" then you've officially forfeit the right to be smug about rappers liking Scarface forever.

??

Scarface rules

And Chappie is one of the best films of this decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FilthyImp posted:

Now let's all wait for The Asylum to counter this release with Fap Note.

With the help of a demon one young man sets out to become master of his domain.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Rasa posted:

With the help of a demon one young man sets out to become master of his domain.
In case anyone thought I was joking...

https://myanimelist.net/manga/8967/Onanie_Master_Kurosawa

There's pretty :stonklol: things like dude jizzing in some kid's flute. kid goes to play it for the class and is all "oh, it sounds odd" and then a strand of fluid drips out...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want to see a westernised adaptation of the Osamu Tezuka manga about a man whose organs and limbs were sacrificed to demons when he was a baby so he uses weaponised alchemical prosthetics to kill those demons and get them back.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The one problem I have with the death note trailer is that it looks like we are probably are not going to have L's one sided friendship with Light which was a fun aspect.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Honestly I trust a lot of what will change ( i dont know or care) will be in service to shedding the baggage of being an anime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they said whether or not the movie will tell a complete story or is this kind of a "part 1" thing?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I read an interview with Wingard that I'm sure confirmed it was just this movie. He said something like "It's hard to compress an entire manga series into a 2 hour movie."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I want to see a westernised adaptation of the Osamu Tezuka manga about a man whose organs and limbs were sacrificed to demons when he was a baby so he uses weaponised alchemical prosthetics to kill those demons and get them back.

The most hilarious thing about that manga is it was named Dororo, after the little kid thief that hangs out with Hyakkimaru (dude with weaponized alchemical prosthetics). Eventually it and translations and other adaptations of the stuff and such got names like Chronicles of Hyakkimaru instead because LMAO like anyone cared about this punk kid when he's rolling with a feudal Japan demon hunting mechanical man.

There's actually a pretty good PS2 action game based on it (it came out in the US as Blood Will Tell) where you get new abilities/etc. as you get more of your actual parts back from each demon. The game is in black and white and you can't speak for the first two levels because you haven't beaten the ones that have your tongue and your eyes yet and it does good with the whole weapons hidden in every limb thing. :D

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just love how metal its premise sounds, while also reminding me of Mega Man which was a game probably inspired by Tezuka's other work Astro Boy.

Box office report:

-Despicable Me 3 predictably opens big at almost $200 million worldwide, pretty normal for the series. Get ready to swamped by Minions again.
-Both WW and Pirates 5 have passed $700 million worldwide, a familiar thing for DCEU movies by now but pretty low for Pirates movies. WW has the highest domestic gross of the DCEU movies, beating BvS (also this is bigger than Thor 2, the MCU movie that Patty Jenkins left). Pirates predictably have the highest gross in China compared to any other country including the US.
-Transformers 5 is the same as Pirates, with China having the highest gross. The domestic gross have passed $100 million, while globally it's at $429 million.
-At $30 million domestic, Baby Driver is not only doing pretty well compared to its low budget, it's also set to become Edgar Wright's highest-grossing movie to date.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RedSpider posted:

Neil Blomkamp's short films 'Rakka' and 'Firebase' on youtube are both more impressive than Elysium and especially that steaming pile of poo poo Chappie. The special effects in Firebase are top notch for such a low budget. Maybe he might redeem himself in the near future?

He also did the continuation of the BMW "Hire" short films/ads starring Clive Owen last year. It was decent, but not as good as some of the earlier Hire shorts from 15 years earlier (especially the ones by Ang Lee, Guy Ritchie, and Tony Scott). That said I liked Firebase a lot.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

basic hitler posted:

Honestly I trust a lot of what will change ( i dont know or care) will be in service to shedding the baggage of being an anime.

Yeah. The only anime/manga that should be attempted are ones featuring adults. Their school days are really different than ones Americans can relate to. Especially the "If you get good grades and are smart you're actually cool and looked up to" aspect.

I'd personally pick "Kaiji". It's about a pathetic degenerate gambler who gets himself into ever more insane gambling situations for his life and freedom. It's tone is basically Death Note. A lot of game theory, back stabbing, and logic duels.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

got any sevens posted:

??

Scarface rules

And Chappie is one of the best films of this decade.

There's so much to say about Scarface.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm glad to see Edgar Wright did well since he deserves to get more work

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Saw it in BigD this afternoon and it was great. There's a trailer clip where Kevin Spacey calls Baby "Mozart with a Go Kart", that combined with the rest of the layout of the trailer made me a bit concerned the film was going to be too cute by half. Not only was it NOT too cute by half, the line wasn't even in this cut of the movie, except as part of a prop. It's like Wright mind read my concerns about the trailer and fixed it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The MSJ posted:

I just love how metal its premise sounds, while also reminding me of Mega Man which was a game probably inspired by Tezuka's other work Astro Boy.

Box office report:

-Despicable Me 3 predictably opens big at almost $200 million worldwide, pretty normal for the series. Get ready to swamped by Minions again.
-Both WW and Pirates 5 have passed $700 million worldwide, a familiar thing for DCEU movies by now but pretty low for Pirates movies. WW has the highest domestic gross of the DCEU movies, beating BvS (also this is bigger than Thor 2, the MCU movie that Patty Jenkins left). Pirates predictably have the highest gross in China compared to any other country including the US.
-Transformers 5 is the same as Pirates, with China having the highest gross. The domestic gross have passed $100 million, while globally it's at $429 million.
-At $30 million domestic, Baby Driver is not only doing pretty well compared to its low budget, it's also set to become Edgar Wright's highest-grossing movie to date.

Big loser this weekend was The House, making a whole $9 million in 6th place and I've only heard of it because it is the movie Mariah Carey showed up for her cameo in it very late and tried to rewrite the whole scene so they fake shot it the way she wanted and cut her whole part.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm really looking forward to seeing the house. It's Jason Manzoukas meatiest role in a movie so far.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the house. It's Jason Manzoukas meatiest role in a movie so far.

He starred in Terrorists

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Transformers 5 had a huge drop in China last weekend. I think the problem is that the movie is not half set in China like TF4 was. Expect TF6 to return to that country again.

That said, the reported Chinese box office for the movie is still better than that of Pirates 5 which have been out longer. I guess robots still have more appeal than rock star pirates.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

I thought no one got an afterlife in the Death Note universe. Blissful oblivion is the only thing you can look forward to.

You get a sort of grey apocalyptic-looking The Beyond afterlife if you don't use the Death Note.

If you do use the Death Note, you get literally nothing, you just stop existing when you die.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So using it is the smart move.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Man, no wonder Christianity at one point won so many followers, other religions' afterlives suck.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Grendels Dad posted:

Man, no wonder Christianity at one point won so many followers, other religions' afterlives suck.

Isn't that the plot of the Gladiator 2 script?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

Mariah Carey showed up for her cameo in it very late and tried to rewrite the whole scene so they fake shot it the way she wanted and cut her whole part.
That's incredible.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pierson posted:

That's incredible.
She also insisted on singing a song they didn't have the rights for.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Big loser this weekend was The House, making a whole $9 million in 6th place and I've only heard of it because it is the movie Mariah Carey showed up for her cameo in it very late and tried to rewrite the whole scene so they fake shot it the way she wanted and cut her whole part.

I've always wondered if a similar thing happened with Executive Decision.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ego-bot posted:

Basically, yes

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ego-bot posted:

Yeah that's 100% the story with Executive Decision.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah that's 100% the story with Executive Decision.

What's the story here?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MariusLecter posted:

What's the story here?

Nobody on earth likes working with Steven Seagal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

What's the story here?

Seagal wouldn't come out of his trailer because he didn't like where his character ended up.

in a jetstream

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess, like most films, they did the shooting out of order. So probably Seagal's death scene was in the can already, but he was refusing to complete the rest of his scenes unless they changed the script so that his character wouldn't die. So from what I understand they basically told him that they would to get him to film the scenes they needed and then told him to gently caress off.

From what I understand he was always scripted to die early, and he agreed to it when he signed on but typical of Seagal he acted like a giant baby when he was actually on-set.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its pretty funny how quickly Seagal went from star on the rise to dumpster fire that studios won't touch with a ten foot pole. Helped along by his proto-internet tough guy persona.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Its pretty funny how quickly Seagal went from star on the rise to dumpster fire that studios won't touch with a ten foot pole. Helped along by his proto-internet tough guy persona.

He was already solidly in the direct to DVD arena by the time the whole "Steven Seagal, legit badass" t.v. show was airing. And he still is there to this day, you'll still find low budget action flicks starring Seagal pop up on streaming services regularly.

Under Siege 2 made 100 million at the box office in 1995, but then Glimmer Man and Fire Down Below were both flops so I guess that was it for him. Maybe a guy with a different reputation would have been given more chances but Seagal was a legendary dick.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think his last wide release movie he did was Exit Wounds with DMX, 16 years ago. DMX is almost as big of a piece of poo poo as Seagal, but falls short.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Under Siege 2 is so awesome too. The same way historians call the end or beginnings of eras/centuries by cultural and political events rather than by a hard year I've always felt that Under Siege 2 is the final 80s action movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
There's a really good book about Steven Seagal, his films and his different eras called Seagalogy

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

I think his last wide release movie he did was Exit Wounds with DMX, 16 years ago. DMX is almost as big of a piece of poo poo as Seagal, but falls short.

I know DMX is a crack addict, but what did he do specifically to earn the big piece of poo poo moniker?

Also, addiction is a disease.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I know DMX is a crack addict, but what did he do specifically to earn the big piece of poo poo moniker?

Also, addiction is a disease.
Unpaid child support, DUI, animal cruelty, homophobia...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shageletic posted:

Seagal wouldn't come out of his trailer because he didn't like where his character ended up.

in a jetstream

That was the best part of the movie. :allears:

Also lol at what "IMDB" "trivia" has to say about it.

• Locked thread