Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

amigolupus posted:

Between that and the three bad endings Id got in this sequence, I'm almost positive Yoko Taro called up a few old buddies from Cavia and had them lend their expertise for this sequence. :v:

Lousy millenials expecting their double jumps to function and eyeballs not to explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

AirborneNinja posted:

To be expected, 2B is dying and you are not getting there fast enough.

That's a really good point.

It's hard to convey how traumatizing this sequence is to someone who hasn't held the controller in their hands and seen, felt, how 2B usually reacts to their thumbs on the sticks and buttons. She is a graceful and elegant death machine, a thing of poise, speed, balance and precision. Being in charge of dragging her around when she's so completely diminished and during the general emotional rollercoaster of early route C/D is heartbreaking in a way that makes it rather difficult to keep quite as cool a head as one might wish.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wait, I recognize that building... wasn't that from an episode of Car Boys?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

exploded mummy posted:

Well there's no Cent around to accidentally corrupt war orphans into a fleshy blob so we're probably safe.

Accord narrator voice: They weren't.

Absum
May 28, 2013

AirborneNinja posted:

To be expected, 2B is dying and you are not getting there fast enough.

This is neat, I hadn't thought about that yet although I imagine that is probably why most if not all people will attempt the jump.

Reading that definitely reminded me of waiting next to a moose for a minute cause I felt like riding it would still be faster than walking. That sure was a mistake....

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally did go for the parade jump every time, if you fail it you’re boned sure but it also makes the section way shorter and if you wait for just after a death spasm you can be almost certain you’ll make it. In the end this segment is fantastically done all around.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FrankZP posted:

That's a really good point.

It's hard to convey how traumatizing this sequence is to someone who hasn't held the controller in their hands and seen, felt, how 2B usually reacts to their thumbs on the sticks and buttons. She is a graceful and elegant death machine, a thing of poise, speed, balance and precision. Being in charge of dragging her around when she's so completely diminished and during the general emotional rollercoaster of early route C/D is heartbreaking in a way that makes it rather difficult to keep quite as cool a head as one might wish.

Agreed, the problem is that the emotional gut-punch leadup disappears nearly entirely if you gently caress up the death march and didn't explicitly detour to hit up that single save point (because on your first playthrough of this I guarantee most people were a little distracted passing it) and have to play through the bunker sequence again at a minimum-- especially since again, on your first playthrough, you went into that tunnel crawl with 10% corruption and you're coming out with 50-60% like "oh gently caress I need to get across the crater as fast as possible jesus gently caress if I detour around I'm going to die"

and then you get zapped halfway through a jump and you're in the crater

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Report the offending posts and move on.

I was lukewarm on Automata until this sequence (I really didn’t care too much about the characters compared to NieR’s fantastic quartet). The Bunker drama piqued my interest, and then 2B’s death march sold me on the game.

Agreed. Routes A and B are super necessary in terms of buildup, pacing, and character development, but they aren’t what makes this game great outside of some moments like discovering the amusement park.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This game definitely hasn't had enough Emil recently. I hope he gets some more screen time.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The next route is a kart game where you drive his shop around at ever increasing speeds and have to sing the song into a rock band microphone

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ultrafilter posted:

This game definitely hasn't had enough Emil recently. I hope he gets some more screen time.

I forget which thread was talking about it, but Emil will occasionally photo/song bomb dramatic in-game rendered cutscenes/dialogues, depending on what sidequests you do and where he's spawned at the time. you'll have people in a dramatic, emotional moment and then "eveRY DAY IS GREAT WHEN YOU'RE ME" dopplers in out of nowhere

it greatly improves them when it happens

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

The next route is a kart game where you drive his shop around at ever increasing speeds and have to sing the song into a rock band microphone

Sold.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

exploded mummy posted:

Well there's no Cent around to accidentally corrupt war orphans into a fleshy blob so we're probably safe.

What if Route C stood for Route Cent?

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Power Bottom posted:

Hes gonna accidentally turn Pascals village into snake bots.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, that escalated quickly. That's one way to say "welcome to Route C, motherfuckers!", but this is Yoko Taro we're talking about here, subtle introductions are not his strong suit.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I forget which thread was talking about it, but Emil will occasionally photo/song bomb dramatic in-game rendered cutscenes/dialogues, depending on what sidequests you do and where he's spawned at the time. you'll have people in a dramatic, emotional moment and then "eveRY DAY IS GREAT WHEN YOU'RE ME" dopplers in out of nowhere

This, however, is a wonderful palate cleanser for everything that just went down. :unsmith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Power Bottom posted:

Route 50 Cent

"Bitch took my skullEmil"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It has been too long since I've listened to this tune. SO JAUNTY, just what we need after the roller coaster we just saw.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Wait, I recognize that building... wasn't that from an episode of Car Boys?

It kinda looks like the building from Third Birthday. The Twisted have arrived.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

ManlyGrunting posted:

If you mean Emil's shop, yes. If you don;t mean Emil's shop you are objectively wrong.

Emil is the best shopkeeper.

He does not, however, run the best shop.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sentient Data posted:

at the end you're forced to crash into a huge brick wall and die

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I picked an excellent update to start following the LP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just catching up on the thread, and as I saw the whole opening sequence to Route C the first time when I played the game with everyone dying horribly, The Bunker getting blown the gently caress up, 9S getting mentally scarred at the sight of 2B's apparent murder, and a colossal building emerging from the ground out of nowhere, I couldn't help but think there was something missing ...

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just catching up on the thread, and as I saw the whole opening sequence to Route C the first time when I played the game with everyone dying horribly, The Bunker getting blown the gently caress up, 9S getting mentally scarred at the sight of 2B's apparent murder, and a colossal building emerging from the ground out of nowhere, I couldn't help but think there was something missing ...

Goldmine

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

----8<-----------

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
did Nier really have that many brutal rug-pull moments, I mean there was that bit where Emil kind of blew up a village but those guys were dipshits anyway

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

did Nier really have that many brutal rug-pull moments, I mean there was that bit where Emil kind of blew up a village but those guys were dipshits anyway

There was the Shadowlord's debut. Bad times all around.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm not sure what else you want besides "all of humankind is going to die" and "protagonist erases himself from existence"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Don't forget "suddenly wolves attack a peaceful wedding and murder the bride".

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Don't forget "suddenly wolves attack a peaceful wedding and murder the bride".

That was a good one. Yep, just gonna go watch a nice wedding and maybe have some cake! Nothing bad gonna happen at a wedding, right? :yokotaro:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

stupid doublepost

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ratoslov posted:

That was a good one. Yep, just gonna go watch a nice wedding and maybe have some cake! Nothing bad gonna happen at a wedding, right? :yokotaro:

Then it turns out the groom's people started it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm not sure what else you want besides "all of humankind is going to die" and "protagonist erases himself from existence"

The former isn't really an in-plot twist but something you're supposed to realize putting 2 and 2 together after the fact and that honestly makes it much cooler to me. Like "wait poo poo what did all these old world documents actually imply about this conclusion"

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
There's also the moment when Devola and Popola, the two friendliest and most supportive folks in the village, being revealed as the Shadowlord's caretakers and forcing you into a fight to the death and blew up Emil.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Chokes McGee posted:

the former was like, very extratextual though, and the latter was a conscious decision you make to save someone

Emil's death definitely qualifies though

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Well, you kick all this poo poo off for the sake of your daughter being sick. At the end of it all, she doesn't have a dad anymore and didn't for the duration of your quest because you were out running around killing people, and also she's still sick anyways so literally everyone is worse off than they were when you started because of what you did.

"literally everyone is worse off than they were when you started because of what you did" is pretty much the subtext of every Drakengard/Nier completed by TDI to date, too, so... (Nier Automata has a happy ending per Yoko Taro, though, right? :ohdear:)

e: Also I mean "you the player", not "your character as the protagnist", given that in D3 iirc Zero's alternate personalities unite the world all of not-spain in a utopia-by-drakengard-standards before you-the-player show up to go and kill all of them.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 25, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm curious as to A2's motivations. The only thing we know about her is that she was on YorHA's poo poo list, and that she believed that command was not to be trusted. Now YorHA is loving dead and we know that Command, while a pack of liars about the Council of Humanity, was mostly well-intentioned. At least, as far we we know so far. I'm interested to see what A2's purpose will be now that she doesn't have anyone to revenge herself on, and why she was on the run in the first place.

I'm not asking for spoilers, of course. Just stating my current thoughts. I'm sure they will be answered.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I'm curious as to A2's motivations. The only thing we know about her is that she was on YorHA's poo poo list, and that she believed that command was not to be trusted. Now YorHA is loving dead and we know that Command, while a pack of liars about the Council of Humanity, was mostly well-intentioned. At least, as far we we know so far. I'm interested to see what A2's purpose will be now that she doesn't have anyone to revenge herself on, and why she was on the run in the first place.

I'm not asking for spoilers, of course. Just stating my current thoughts. I'm sure they will be answered.

The answer is that A2 [REDACTED] the [REDACTED] which then [REDACTED], and 2B knew that [REDACTED] was in actuality [REDACTED]. Meanwhile, 9S is confused at the sudden frequent appearance of the phrase [REDACTED].

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

JT Jag posted:

We've already seen Command is willing to have their own androids killed for bullshit reasons and lie about it to the ones doing the killing. I see it as a fairly sizeable twist that the Commander turned out to not be evil, but it's not like the lie about humanity and you know, the entire war is the only time they've done shady poo poo.

• Locked thread