Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Those eyes! They hurt. Is she meant to look batshit insane?

I AM GRANDO posted:

Al Hartley had some interesting, but not unusual for the era, religious ideas. Those comics were from Spire, publisher of Hansi, the Girl Who Loved the Swastika.
??? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

So, it's a story about a young woman raised in Nazi Germany becoming a Christian after the war, but the cover is loving bonkers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Poil posted:

It is exactly what people who talk like that look like.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Poil posted:

She's astonished by his* doctrine.

* well, OK, some dude's doctrine

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 12, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ugh DP

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i thought that was a photoshop, jesus christ.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spire was really something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

So, it's a story about a young woman raised in Nazi Germany becoming a Christian after the war, but the cover is loving bonkers.

Here's the full thing: https://flashbak.com/hansi-the-girl-who-loved-the-swastika-the-full-comic-10700/

It's definitely biased and propaganda but it's not the worst I've seen in the genre.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Darthemed posted:

Up From Harlem

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Al Hartley drew most of those himself, I believe.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that's my bag
!!!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Comic Strips 2024: Let's get high and deny Christ!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/4-6/52

Archie 5/25-27/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 8/28/77

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

"The meds they gave me after my goddamn surgery made me feel funny so i stopped taking them!"
:ughh::ughh::ughh:
That being said if I'd had to deal with that dipshit Dr. T I'd probably side-eye anything they gave me, too.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I would like to point out that the mother's expression was redone exclusively by moving the original facial elements around, because gently caress trying to draw anything with my laptop's trackpad.

hah! I was literally opening clip studio to do exactly this. Same brain cell!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
The Blood Egg Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Selachian posted:

As I understand it, the Archie folks created Cheryl because they thought Veronica had softened too much from her original conception as a stuck-up rich bitch, and they wanted someone who could be a villain. But Veronica doesn't seem that bad in the strips so far.

Yeah, Veronica surprisingly has the least amount of characterization out of the cast in the classic strips, what with being treated as the girl Archie chases after.

Selachian posted:

Oh Come the gently caress On Russell 9/9-11/43

God, just when you think you've figured the plot out, Stamm pulls the rug under you. :allears:

I like how the placement of the * makes it seem like Flash and Bok have a casual thing going on as well.

maltesh posted:

Speaking of working from home.... has it changed, or is Wilbur's job still Relationship Advice Columnist?

Yeah, Wilbur mentioned that he's still a columnist to his date. Imagine drunk Wilbur trying to pretend to be a woman as he writes relationship advice for other women, probably blaming the person seeking advice for being so difficult and not capitulating to the needs of the spineless schlub that she's with.

Starting to see what people meant when they said Haraiso Day's author has a bias against young people. These two movie geezers are rambling loudly but Rie and the owner just look at them fondly, while the record-loving youth from the other story got a stink-eye from Rie for being too loud in the bar.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The old farts buy lots of food and drink refills. :smug:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

And that's it for another story. I am not super confident that I translated the technical explanations correctly, as I'm not really much for cooking, but the challenge of trying is a lot of what appeals to me. I don't think this story got a single comment, though, so I'm...unsure how to proceed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked the rice story and as a food guy the technical explanations seemed fine

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

amigolupus posted:

I like how the placement of the * makes it seem like Flash and Bok have a casual thing going on as well.

I mean...

PetraCore posted:

Dr. Zarkov has calculated the possibility of a stable polycule.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

amigolupus posted:

Starting to see what people meant when they said Haraiso Day's author has a bias against young people. These two movie geezers are rambling loudly but Rie and the owner just look at them fondly, while the record-loving youth from the other story got a stink-eye from Rie for being too loud in the bar.
Yeah, Rie was more mad that they nursed their drinks and didn't order any food beyond the bare minimum, the loud vinyl-nerd conversations were just icing on the cake, and at least Miss Haru gently chided Rie for being grumpy about the record guys.

(But yes, in both this and Uramachi Sakaba, in classic small-bar fashion there's a general trend of cutting regulars slack and giving people who "don't know the rules" the hairy eyeball.)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"The meds they gave me after my goddamn surgery made me feel funny so i stopped taking them!"
:ughh::ughh::ughh:
That being said if I'd had to deal with that dipshit Dr. T I'd probably side-eye anything they gave me, too.

I've been totally on her side this whole arc, and still, WAR Mom's gonna WAR Mom.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't think this story got a single comment, though, so I'm...unsure how to proceed.

Well at least nobody hates it, right? :haw: But seriously I enjoy the problem of the week solved by food nerdiness formula and I like Haddish, Buffy and the coots they deal with. I think it's just a far humbler strip compared to something like Demons of Baseball so you're not going to get the jaw dropping reactions.

Unless Haddish is kidnapped to an island to train in rice prep for 2 years to defeat a rival foodie. :v:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (July 4-6, 2006)

:ohdear:

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Tree Law?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
From the Crabgrass Instagram

Tauhid Bondia posted:

So…. This arc. Well, that was a confusing mess, wasn’t it? Probably even more so if you missed a few key updates. Thankfully they’re all here for you to go back and read from the beginning of you’re moved to. I think this is one that I wrote with print books in mind. It’s just doesn’t go as smoothly on a daily update schedule (especially when Instagram like to forget to deliver updates that aren’t videos to followers). Months long arcs always feel like a ride that you were ready to get off of long ago on a, but they make great reading in a collection. Anywho, we got a couple new characters out of the mix so look forward to seeing them. And thanks for hanging in there with me once again.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

I can't buy these two as a Siskel and Ebert tribute unless they start bickering over some minor difference of opinion.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Or attacking David Lynch’s morality.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

that's
my
bag
!!!

Fixed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

And that's it for another story. I am not super confident that I translated the technical explanations correctly, as I'm not really much for cooking, but the challenge of trying is a lot of what appeals to me. I don't think this story got a single comment, though, so I'm...unsure how to proceed.

I'm mostly lurking but, I've liked this one as well, and it seems to have found its footing, where a food problem is established, everyone gets a chance to solve it and then it's time to bring in culinary Sherlock Holmes with the actual solution. Not much wandering though, and while the first story was pretty high stakes with someone finding their family based on the taste of rice, I've been enjoying the low level corporate/workplace level problems of the last two.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

I really, really appreciate the effort you put in to translate comics, but for me, the thing that's kind of making me bounce off these particular comics is the art style. I just find the faces kind of off-putting. :(

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

I'm enjoying it, I just don't have anything in particular to comment on with it. :v: Don't assume there's any real relationship between people reading a comic and feeling compelled to post about it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/12/04

Brenda Starr 3/15/53

Smokey Stover 7/2/61

Everyday Movies 11/2/37

"Don't lower yourself by shouting, John. Turn on our own radio good and loud and give them a dose of their own medicine."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/12/43

Closer Than We Think! 7/2/61

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

E: it's worth noting that in Finnish the term for "site supervisor" is essentially "cover man".

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 13, 2024