Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just changed the oil in the Mazdaspeed. 9500 miles on 0W30 :)

I can also confirm that the Mobil 1 M-110 filter DOES fit on a Miata and is about 3/4" taller than the oem one. I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can I buy manual mirror guts anywhere?

The bolt that goes up into the mirror and keeps it adjusted rusted to bits ( :canada: ) and fell off while I was washing the car.

Housing and mount is fine. But the spring, bolt, bushing, and mirror is toast.

Unfortunately, mine is a 150 piece special edition that was sold here in Marina Mica [Paint code 13C] (Like the Ms in the US) but with manual mirrors. The popular Ms in the states all got powered mirrors. Switching to those would be 300$ I bet.

I'm tempted to order two black manual mirror's (Which is like 160$) just for the guts so I can rebuild both.

Thoughts?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
It's not too hard to replace them yourself if you are patient. https://sites.google.com/site/miatarearwindowrepair/side-mirror-repair You can find similar guts around the hardware store, the pivot you can find in the plumbing section.

Suniikaa fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 23, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Suniikaa posted:

the pivot you can find in the plumbing section.

:confused: Can you go into more detail on this?

My pivot disintegrated.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 23, 2012

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Ziploc posted:

:confused: Can you go into more detail on this?

My pivot disintegrated.

The small black dome shaped piece can be replaced with a part from the plumbing section, I don't recall it's proper name.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Guys my miata is hail damaged to gently caress and back, sure it's not the perfect dream miata anymore, and yes the holes in my softtop are annoying, and maybe the AC could work a little bit better, but goddamn it I loving love my car. I need a brohug.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't driven a Miata in over 6 months. Just a few more paychecks. :unsmith:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
It adds character.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Phone posted:

I haven't driven a Miata in over 6 months. Just a few more paychecks. :unsmith:

I've had mine for four months now and the longest drive I've managed to get it running has been to move it two parking spots down. :(:hf::unsmith:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I've been autocrossing mine pretty much every weekend, and driving it to work every day. I've had the top down every day that I've driven since early April. I love my car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

oRenj9 posted:

I've had mine for four months now and the longest drive I've managed to get it running has been to move it two parking spots down. :(:hf::unsmith:

Probably within a few paychecks, I'll really be able to start on getting this thing back up and running. I might do a project thread due to the breadth of what I'm going to be doing: depower rack, VVT swap, AC toss, seats + 6-points. I'm opting to not get the crazy awesome 949racing twin-disc clutch because I actually want to drive my car on the street. If something terrible happens, then I can justify it + a 6-speed.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

I've been autocrossing mine pretty much every weekend, and driving it to work every day. I've had the top down every day that I've driven since early April. I love my car.

I haven't driven mine in a couple weeks. Don't trust it without a spare cam sensor in the glovebox.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

I haven't driven mine in a couple weeks. Don't trust it without a spare cam sensor in the glovebox.

Come AutoX on the 11th. You're welcome to crash at my place in Toronto the night before, so you don't have to get up at what, 3am?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Pulled out and cleaned my EGR due to a check engine light(P0400). What should I do next, reset the battery and drive around for awhile, or something else?

Back it up Terry fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 25, 2012

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Guys my miata is hail damaged to gently caress and back, sure it's not the perfect dream miata anymore, and yes the holes in my softtop are annoying, and maybe the AC could work a little bit better, but goddamn it I loving love my car. I need a brohug.

This loving car.

Mine needs a timing belt (110K on the original belt. :smith:), probably a new brake caliper on the left rear (right rear was replaced about a year ago) and just some TLC overall.

Also the front bumper cover is pock marked to hell and back from extensive interstate travel and the car seems down on power between 2.4-4K RPM. Coil packs, maybe? (2003 NB)

Still love this little son of a bitch, though. Occasionally I debate on trading it in for something more practical but it's paid off and runs reliably so I really can't complain.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

My 91 is on the chopping block when (if) my BRZ I ordered in June ever shows up. 160k and never once failed to start on me, I feel bad but 4 cars is a bit excessive.

Bonus pic of plastidip'd daisies

Its been holding up well for a couple months and a couple autoxes, much better than what they looked like before, crusty 160k curbed daisies.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Does anybody have experience with IL Motorsport radiators? Mine's gone that alluring brown colour and a recent burst hose has me itching to replace the rest of the cooling system. I'm looking at this but it seems suspiciously cheap compared to other aluminium rads. Thoughts?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Had my lady take the MX-5 in to get a rim sanded for a slow leak. I'd already done it on one of the other tires and it worked great. I had gotten a quote to patch a nail and it was too much so I did it right before she went. The shop 'discovered' a nail about 4" from the patch I had just done. So either the tire picked up a nail on the way over or they drilled the tire. It looks like they drilled it. Anyway, after 'discovering' this hole, they suddenly decided the tire was unsafe to drive. Clearly going for the sale, they stuck the donut on and threw the now unmounted tire with a fresh hole in it in the trunk without a valve stem core or cap. Motherfuckers.

Obviously they didn't expect her to leave, it's the oldest trick in the book. She had specifically stated 'unmount the tire and sand the rim' to the guy and they had never even mentioned damage to the tire before they had begun 'fixing' it. I went home and got the tire mounted back and patched the suspicious fresh new hole, pulled the valve core out of the spare (helps to have a core tool on hand) and stuck it back in the tire and got it on the car.

There is damage on the sidewall, which also looks mildly suspicious but I can also see it happening naturally from running low or something. My complaint isn't that they refused to work on an unsafe wheel, it was that they forcibly put her into a situation with a practically undriveably car without getting any authorization from her. I was pretty pissed. I called them up and told the guy in no uncertain terms to bring the parts to me. They guy said he would and hung up. He ended up bringing them later on that night and that is why I'm not saying their name, but drat it was totally unprofessional of them. I've got a new tire on the way and I'm grabbing a couple tire spoons, I'm going to learn how to diy it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

New eccentric bolts and alignment day!

Pre-alignment:

Camber:
Front Left: 0.03 Front Right: -0.53
Toe:
Front Left: 1/8" Front Right: 0"
Caster:
Front Left: 5.88 Front Right: 5.01

:catstare: That explains a lot. No numbers for the back 'cause he did the eccentrics back there before checking.

Post-alignment:

Camber:
FL: -1.00 FR: -1.00
RL: -1.49 RR: -1.49
Toe:
FL: 0" FR: 0"
RL: -1/32" RR: -1/32"
Caster:
FL: 4.06 FR: 4.07

Went on a few twisty roads on the way back, and wow what a difference in turn in.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

rhombus posted:

Are there any obvious problems you guys can spot in this ad?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3079303278.html

I mean aside from the lack of information. I will assume it is a stick shift, with a clear title. I like the racing stripe (There was never a factory option that, right?) and the wheels, and the hard top. The single low res shot of the interior looks pretty amazing, which is usually a good sign for the rest of the car.

This car is still available. It is over 3 hours away, but I'm gonna go check it out on Saturday. The guy selling it is 80 years old. He goes from Cali to the Kansas City area every few months and likes to bring back something he can sell at a profit, but he says he has a clean California title in his name. He claims it is in amazing shape. If I buy it I will probably feel bad about having to park it on the street.

One thing I've noticed from the tiny pictures is that the racing stripe is not centered. It would be cool if it was way off to the left or the right, but what's up with it just being a bit off center?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Flagged for removal, was it a scam?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I bought this the other day. It's a 1989 Eunos Roadster. The paint is pretty rough, but other than that it's good. I had to poke all the crap out of the drains in the sills to get the water out after I washed it, what a terrible design.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Installed some corbeau forza's. They're not as bad as people say they are.

Also got my 'body kit' on. Factory nb2 skirts, GV eyelids and a GV lip.

I think this car is pretty much done now. I need more track time.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

leica posted:

Flagged for removal, was it a scam?

Here's a more recent ad, not sure why that one was flagged.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3079333111.html

Price dropped from $5200 to $4900 and he says to make an offer. How low can I go for a starting offer without being insulting?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unless you want that specific car, offer 3000$ and if he's not interested in moving then pass on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd say it's worth more around 4k because of the hardtop.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

First Time Caller posted:

Installed some corbeau forza's. They're not as bad as people say they are.

Also got my 'body kit' on. Factory nb2 skirts, GV eyelids and a GV lip.

I think this car is pretty much done now. I need more track time.

Looking hype as gently caress. Good job.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

obeyasia posted:

Looking hype as gently caress. Good job.

Thanks! It was a lot of work but well worth it :)

Helped my friend out with some body work tonight. He bought an Arios replica body kit and some flares for his NA. We're not ricers, I swear. Maybe he is a little bit, but it's a drifting thing I guess.

( My new daily in the background :D )

Test fitting

Prepped, primed, and sanded.

We'll paint it tomorrow evening hopefully.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

leica posted:

I'd say it's worth more around 4k because of the hardtop.

I'd agree. $35-4000 would be a decent deal.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can someone post a couple shots of how the spare tire, retaining bolt, and wood panel all go together? I feel retarded. (on an NB).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

blugu64 posted:

I was considering getting a new car because my 99 is a really ratty one I got with 140k that now has 170k and I graduated college, but then I realized how much I love Miatas. I'm going to drive this thing until it explodes, and then replace it with a new Miata.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I was looking at a miata for sale today and have a query or you folks. The car in question is a 1997 and is green with tan leather. Now, the only green color available in 97 is M edition 13C. There are no M badges or markings anywhere on the car and the door jam sticker has color code HU which is BRG and was only offered in 91. Date of manufacture on the sticker is 08/96, so how is that possible?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Buy that poo poo like yesterday.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

leica posted:

Buy that poo poo like yesterday.

It has 150k miles, no history past the PO who had it for a year, it came to him with brand new radiator and numbers scribbled in paint on valve cover and plastic air intake parts but no signs of damage otherwise. Owner thinks the rest of the car is original and has done timing belt recently. Has a MIL light due to an oxygen sensor. On a plus side matching hardtop and a tan softy. How much Is fair?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Depends on how rare it actually is, if it's truly a 97 BRG which I doubt. Either the year or paint code is wrong.....I'd need to see some pics.... Otherwise if it's in good condition with a hardtop fair would be in the 4k range.

[edit] That year did have a green/tan option however it's not BRG, more of a metallic dark green.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 29, 2012

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Took my 96 to a dyno day on Friday to get a baseline before I start adding power.

Considering the age of the car I went in expecting the worst, wondering how I'd deal with the shame of 91 wheel horsepower or something like that. After 2 pulls I was pretty pleased with 114WHP. Which a quick and dirty loss calculation puts me around 142 engine horsepower. Ill be sure to post the graph and video later but I like the photo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone know of a good reasonably priced "racing" steering wheel for those that can't afford a Momo or Nardi? Nevermind the fact that a new Momo would probably get stolen out of my car in 2.2 seconds, I just want a smaller racing type wheel that won't bend like a soda can.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What about Grant? Their website seems to be really messed up right now, though: http://www.grantproducts.com/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's all kinds on ebay, I just don't know what's poo poo and what isn't. Gonna look into Grant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I bought my used Momo Monte Carlo for like, $80 used. If you can't afford that then you should avoid purchasing anything for your car. That's less than the cost of a single tire for the most important input you have on the car.

Also I found adding a 30mm spacer incredibly helpful for my driving position in the NB. In the NA you're looking at needing a 50mm to 80mm spacer depending on your body.

In other news:

Our (color matched) rattle can paint job on my buddies arios replica kit came out well.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 29, 2012