Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

FF XV owns, I got the platinum trophy on PS4 and I’m ready to do it all over again on PC with all of the new content and DLC that I never played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MikeJF posted:

Wait so the diamond armlet is the reason everything's a knot of rust all of a sudden?

It's... kinda dull. Is it really worth keeping this thing on?

With the Diamond Armlet everything is rust 95% of the time and an item the other 5%. Poking around it looks like in the Zodiac version that 5% is usually Meteorite, which is just some random thing to throw at enemies that might do a lot of damage. In Cerobi Steppe, though, it's good stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think a summon occurred maybe twice in my entire ff15 play through and I don’t know how or why it happened

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think a summon occurred maybe twice in my entire ff15 play through and I don’t know how or why it happened

It has to do with either taking too long to win or having too many bros dying/dead. So you held down the button you hold down for combat to happen too well. Maybe dial it back a bit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

It has to do with either taking too long to win or having too many bros dying/dead. So you held down the button you hold down for combat to happen too well. Maybe dial it back a bit.

I guess that’s what I get for being gosu getting ultima blade ASAP and never attempting any of the hard sidequests

I wanted to like ff15’s combat more, because it certainly looked extremely cool, but I feel like it was mostly me holding a button, attempting to move directionally to control the attacks, but getting it wrong and swearing “no, not like that!” at the screen. This is arguably my fault for being bad but I choose to blame the game instead

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 20, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Murder youre bros

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is arguably my fault for being bad but I choose to blame the game instead

So the true FF experience

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That is....not wrong

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
The one thing I'm really hoping for a fix for (with a mod or something) in FFXV's PC release is to change how the lock-on works. In most games, like Zelda or Kingdom Hearts or Dark Souls it tries to keep the enemy you're locked on to in the middle of the screen, while still following your character around. But in FFXV, locking on to an enemy holds the camera in place, so if you need to run around the enemy you need to let go of lock on and then lock on again, otherwise Noct will be hidden behind the enemy, and I don't know why they made it function like this :psyduck:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, FFXV turns each one into an event, rather than simply another menu following 'fight' and 'magic.' The color palette of the world changes, the music gets this low, thrumming, 'something is happening' quality, the environment changes, you click the button, Noctis turns to the camera and his eyes are different and suddenly there's Ramuh......

And the aftermath!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wish, instead of crossing over with Assassin's Creed, they crossed over with Yakuza. Can you imagine Majima Everywhere system in Final Fantasy Fifteen, where instead of imperial soldiers overhead you fight Majima crawling on all fours like a cat? And the CEO boss fight is instead Kiryu with full bars and Dragon of Dokima style with both Brawler and Beast styles, two hours a day including wind down?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

I guess that’s what I get for being gosu getting ultima blade ASAP and never attempting any of the hard sidequests

I wanted to like ff15’s combat more, because it certainly looked extremely cool, but I feel like it was mostly me holding a button, attempting to move directionally to control the attacks, but getting it wrong and swearing “no, not like that!” at the screen. This is arguably my fault for being bad but I choose to blame the game instead

Do some of the harder sidequests where

Saint Freak posted:

doesn't really work and you will die horribly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Using my turbo buttons to level up to L99 in the Lete River so I can Vanish/Doom everything more efficiently.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

Using my turbo buttons to level up to L99 in the Lete River so I can Vanish/Doom everything more efficiently.
B-b-b-but your stats!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Xad posted:

The one thing I'm really hoping for a fix for (with a mod or something) in FFXV's PC release is to change how the lock-on works. In most games, like Zelda or Kingdom Hearts or Dark Souls it tries to keep the enemy you're locked on to in the middle of the screen, while still following your character around. But in FFXV, locking on to an enemy holds the camera in place, so if you need to run around the enemy you need to let go of lock on and then lock on again, otherwise Noct will be hidden behind the enemy, and I don't know why they made it function like this :psyduck:

I believe there’s a setting for enemy tracking that fixes this

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sidetracking in FF12 into areas well above my level is fun and all but now I have a Dragon Whisker and the similarly strong ninja blade and need to go back to plot stuff that just explodes. It's a race to see if I can stab things to death before Aeroga goes off.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So I'm watching various playthroughs of the main series for the first time, because I'm kind of bored, and right now I'm on IV. Is it true that this is the game that really cemented Final Fantasy as a great series and started to give it a name or itself? I watched VII in the past and thought it was great, but I just know the greatness couldn't have started that late in the series. Storywise I haven't found things super impressive Pre-VII, though with the first two games I can perfectly understand why, with them being early NES games and all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Whether the games started being good at 4, 5, or 6 is a matter of personal taste. I haven't played 2 or 3 though so I donno how they compare.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So I'm watching various playthroughs of the main series for the first time, because I'm kind of bored, and right now I'm on IV. Is it true that this is the game that really cemented Final Fantasy as a great series and started to give it a name or itself? I watched VII in the past and thought it was great, but I just know the greatness couldn't have started that late in the series. Storywise I haven't found things super impressive Pre-VII, though with the first two games I can perfectly understand why, with them being early NES games and all.

Yes. It also helped, at least in the west, that FF4 was the second one released, so you went straight from Fighter Red Mage Thief to Kain and Cecil with nothing in between

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Bruceski posted:

Whether the games started being good at 4, 5, or 6 is a matter of personal taste. I haven't played 2 or 3 though so I donno how they compare.
I don't think II was very special, but III must have been great in terms of story since IV is essentially just a rehash of it with added moon people.

corn in the bible posted:

Yes. It also helped, at least in the west, that FF4 was the second one released, so you went straight from Fighter Red Mage Thief to Kain and Cecil with nothing in between
Yeah, that's true. That's quite a huge leap to make for the Western audience.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Pretty much, at least in as far as it was the first one to really do any sort of character-focused narrative. FF2 sooooorta tried a bit of it, but by the end you still have almost no idea what Firion, Maria, and Guy were like. I find IV's story pretty clumsy and awkward, but it was basically the first steps in the series for telling a dramatic story.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Pretty much. 2 is heavily flawed, and despite trying to tell a different story it's more bizarre than anything else as things just kinda happen with people dropping dead left and right. III pretty much laid the foundation of the traditional Final Fantasy format, with most dungeons now having bosses and many key elements of the series being introduced, but the story is still just kinda generic NES-era fluff and the gameplay still has plenty of issues between poor job balance (i.e. several jobs are flat-out useless) and some baffling dungeon decisions.

4 straightened out a lot of the flaws of the first three games, introduced the ATB system, and took steps towards taking the series to a more narrative direction that would really be embraced from 6 on. It's the first FF game with a narrative that even comes close to compelling, and is still probably the best in the series as far as using game mechanics to support its narrative. It's definitely not the most exciting story, even for when it came out, but for the most part its big strength is the execution of that narrative, telling a simple story well, while setting up a more solid foundation for the future of the series on top of 3's shaky one.

4's aged quite a bit compared to 5 or 6, but it still holds up well on its own and is one of the better games to start with if new to the series, especially since it's on loving everything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So one of my hot final fantasy takes is that I don't like the ATB system. I mean it doesn't ruin the series for me, obviously, because I still play the dumb games but one of the things that makes X possibly my favorite of the bunch, at least in terms of gameplay mechanics, is that you have time to sit and look at how the battle is going to play out and make your plans accordingly. The ATB system rushes things in a way that I don't particularly like, and I feel like I've never quite got a handle on when the enemy's going to pre-empt me or not. With X's turn-based system, you know where things stand and you have time to sit and take things in.

Another hot take; a lot of people give Vaan poo poo for his abs, but for me, the fact that his knees have mouths is the most upsetting thing about his character model

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Reik posted:

How is the FFXV gameplay? It reads like it plays closer to a dark souls type game than a traditional JRPG.

It’s easy to play, but it can look very cool. You’re Goku-lite with magic teleporting swords. If you upgrade combats movement in the right way you can just be dashing and flying around the battle and hardly ever touching the ground.

the truth fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 21, 2018

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Schwartzcough posted:

Pretty much, at least in as far as it was the first one to really do any sort of character-focused narrative. FF2 sooooorta tried a bit of it, but by the end you still have almost no idea what Firion, Maria, and Guy were like. I find IV's story pretty clumsy and awkward, but it was basically the first steps in the series for telling a dramatic story.

I feel like its subject mater would be pretty astonishing in the NES era, it has an adult relationship, a main character guilty over actual war crimes he's committed, lots and lots of mass murder...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

So one of my hot final fantasy takes is that I don't like the ATB system. I mean it doesn't ruin the series for me, obviously, because I still play the dumb games but one of the things that makes X possibly my favorite of the bunch, at least in terms of gameplay mechanics, is that you have time to sit and look at how the battle is going to play out and make your plans accordingly. The ATB system rushes things in a way that I don't particularly like, and I feel like I've never quite got a handle on when the enemy's going to pre-empt me or not. With X's turn-based system, you know where things stand and you have time to sit and take things in.

:agreed:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I feel like its subject mater would be pretty astonishing in the NES era, it has an adult relationship, a main character guilty over actual war crimes he's committed, lots and lots of mass murder...

I THINK you're talking about FFIV, but honestly that basically applies to FFII also.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Another hot take; a lot of people give Vaan poo poo for his abs, but for me, the fact that his knees have mouths is the most upsetting thing about his character model

What's your take on Tactics then, friend

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm bad at it, therefore the game is bad

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Schwartzcough posted:

I THINK you're talking about FFIV, but honestly that basically applies to FFII also.

I guess FF's stories have always been sort of ambitious. I wonder if that was Sakaguchi's influence, he seems to like the "empire vs heroes" tropes the most.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Probably my favorite game about people without noses.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's time for your annual reminder that the inventor of ATB was inspired by, and is extremely into, American football.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The most stunning piece in that whole article was him bringing up semi-automatic transmissions. Like holy poo poo I completely forgot they even existed. My dad owned one when I was younger, I think it was a Honda something or other.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FF2 is frustrating to me because I see a fundamentally good game within the shell, but the battle and leveling system was way too cumbersome. I think the GBA port cleaned up as much as they could without destroying the core game, but it's a good setting, given the NES limitations. Give 2 a job system with regular leveling up and ability / license points and I think you'd have a decent dungeon crawler.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Destroy monster closets.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

ATB is a cheap way of making the game feel fast while actually being slower than a turn based system, especially if the turn based system allows animations to be canceled or for menu navigation during animations. You spend the same amount of time inputting commands but every turn adds more time waiting for your bars to charge up. It works in something like the Indivisible demo where you're executing simultaneous combos with four characters while performing timed hit blocks but it doesn't add anything to navigating clunky menu boxes. While it's not a perfect rule there's almost always exclusivity between turn based and real time systems.

CTB was the best Final Fantasy's done and it's a shame they didn't use it in later games.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Bongo Bill posted:

Destroy monster closets.

A Final Fantasy-esq Gauntlet? Yes please.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
When you play Nier Automata and FFXV side by side you really notice how imprecise the controls in FFXV are. Targeting is a nightmare, its hard to control specific movesets, dodging is a crapshoot

Nier is not the perfect game but I feel like Im always in control and the character responds to my inputs perfectly

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes, even as an 8 year old, I could understand that some poo poo was going down in this video game in front of my eyeballs. Watching Rydia go through what she does is a bit different when you're literally her age, let me tell you.

IV's aged a bit poorly but it's definitely when Final Fantasy really "began".

It's also a bit hard to appreciate the leap it represented for American players because FF1 took years to come over - it arrived in 1990 after launching in 1987 in Japan - but then Square realized there was dosh to be made and hauled rear end on FF2IV, and it launched a mere 4 months after the JP release and was drat near a launch title for the American SNES - it made that first Christmas, for sure. Going from 1 to 4 in the space of a mere 18 months was revelatory in a way that I think might be impossible to contextualize for people whose game experience began later. Booting up the game for the first time and having the Red Wings theme slowly swell, after the last game had been FM, was...

man.

Beyond that, Mega64 pretty much covered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Microcline posted:

ATB is a cheap way of making the game feel fast while actually being slower than a turn based system, especially if the turn based system allows animations to be canceled or for menu navigation during animations. You spend the same amount of time inputting commands but every turn adds more time waiting for your bars to charge up. It works in something like the Indivisible demo where you're executing simultaneous combos with four characters while performing timed hit blocks but it doesn't add anything to navigating clunky menu boxes. While it's not a perfect rule there's almost always exclusivity between turn based and real time systems.

CTB was the best Final Fantasy's done and it's a shame they didn't use it in later games.

ATB would be a coolass mechanic if you actually built the battle system around it and had individual skills/spells have chargeup/cooldowns but it’s almost like they went the exact opposite route when Cyan has to sit there forever charging up his BushidoTch while Sabin just shits out free Aura Cannons/Rising Phoenixes/Phantom Rushes for no MP or any real consequences.

I think spells in FF4 actually did have dynamic cast times in fairness, so like Bahumut wasn’t always better than Flare.