Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Black Note is back in bottles at Bell's. Merry Christmas to me!

Trade for a Hardywood Gingerbread Stout and... Anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Founders released their release calender. Red's Rye is becoming a limited release, Breakfast Stout will be 6 packs, and no Cerise this year, among other changes.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

i want him to grab a beer with me at Hardywood (and then maybe a side trip to Mekong).

I do not have a car here sadly :cry:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Black Note is back in bottles at Bell's. Merry Christmas to me!

saying you can get Black Note in the beer thread is like revealing yourself to be a cute girl in a WoW thread. that said, i think anyone here would be interested to know what, if anything, you'd trade for one.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I do not have a car here sadly :cry:

boooo! how long are you around for?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

saying you can get Black Note in the beer thread is like revealing yourself to be a cute girl in a WoW thread. that said, i think anyone here would be interested to know what, if anything, you'd trade for one.

I would totally go and pick some up for people if it wasn't a 4+ hour trip.

2 bottle limit, 1534 bottles, $23 a bottle. I see it lasting the next few days.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

At Aces and Ales now waiting for 2010, 11, and 12 Abyss. I'm blending 2010 Dissident and 2009 Abyss to pass the time. The Dissident is sweeter than I'd like it to be, but still delicious. 09 Abyss is still loving fantastic.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Midorka posted:

Red's Rye is becoming a limited release
NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

love that beer :cry:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Went to pick up some New Glarus Coffee Stout and on the display they had a bunch of glasses and a "happy holidays" sign. Looks like they are giving them out with purchases. Pretty nice glass as well

Now to try out the Coffee Stout.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

It's not quite beer, but is mead talk allowed here?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Mead loving rules. I live in New England and I've tried about five of Honeymaker's offerings: Apple Cyser, Blueberry, Strawberry, Dry-Hopped and Dry Mead. Suffice to say all of them owned. My favorites were probably the Dry-Hopped and Apple Cyser. I've only had one or two bottlw of Dry Mead from the store, and all of the other times it was from a tap, which gave it carbonation and holy poo poo :allears:

The only imported mead I've tried was Viking Blod from Belgium and well, that's just on a whole 'nother level of complexity.

tl;dr: drink some mead

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 23, 2012

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Studebaker Hawk posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

love that beer :cry:

Exactly my thoughts, reds rye is my favorite Founder's year round beer. The 6 packs of Breakfast Stout is good news though.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Mead loving rules. I live in New England and I've tried about five of Honeymaker's offerings: Apple Cyser, Blueberry, Strawberry, Dry-Hopped and Dry Mead. Suffice to say all of them owned. My favorites were probably the Dry-Hopped and Apple Cyser. I've only had one or two bottlw of Dry Mead from the store, and all of the other times it was from a tap, which gave it carbonation and holy poo poo :allears:

The only imported mead I've tried was Viking Blod from Belgium and well, that's just on a whole 'nother level of complexity.

tl;dr: drink some mead

I was actually going to make some mulled mead, about a gallon or so. Never done it, but it seems easy enough.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Cigar City supposedly has a meadery and cidery (??) going. They are doing some collaborations too. B. Nektar is awesome, I highly recommend Zombie Killer and Evil Genius IPA Style Mead.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Wow I've been sleeping on Goose Island IPA :stare:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love being back in CA. I was checking out the Whole Foods' beer section while my brother shopped, and this extremely scruffy dude with an apron and clipboard walks by and asks me if I like IPAs. After an enthusiastic answer in the affirmative, he reaches into a cooler behind the cheese counter and pulls out two Pliny the Elders. :getin: Also apparently Positive Contact isn't usually sold in singles? But he busted that out too!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I still don't get why people go gaga over Pliny bottles. Ya, it's a good DIPA. Pretty stellar actually. But you're in California and have access to all sorts of DIPAs of the same caliber. Check out that Avery Maharaja next to the empty Pliny spot. Or the Bear Republic Racer X. Or Alesmith's YuleSmith. Or FW Double Jack. I don't want to Midorka this topic, but there's so much out there and even the seasoned craft drinkers won't touch anything besides hype.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

boooo! how long are you around for?

12/26 thru 12/30

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Tigren posted:

I still don't get why people go gaga over Pliny bottles. Ya, it's a good DIPA. Pretty stellar actually. But you're in California and have access to all sorts of DIPAs of the same caliber. Check out that Avery Maharaja next to the empty Pliny spot. Or the Bear Republic Racer X. Or Alesmith's YuleSmith. Or FW Double Jack. I don't want to Midorka this topic, but there's so much out there and even the seasoned craft drinkers won't touch anything besides hype.

Pliny is a great price point for what it is, so if you can get it... why not? Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA is the highest rated beer from my area, and I drink it a lot... not because of the rating, but because it's a drat good beer. Some beers live up to the hype, some don't. Might as well drink your favorite beer while you can, never know when the next 12/21/12 will happen :)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tigren posted:

Thanks for those tips, seriously! I get where you're coming from - consider it more excitement at trying something that never makes it to my neck of the woods, and relatively fresh at that. But I'm out here for another week and a bit - I'll keep an eye out for those other ones you mention. :) I mean, as an example, I can occasionally find Sculpin in NJ. But 90% of the time it's 3+ months old when I do see it. Same with Green Flash stuff. So finding fresh beers in a style I like is pretty neat!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I still stand by my original statement that Hopslam > Pliny. :colbert:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Tigren posted:

I still don't get why people go gaga over Pliny bottles. Ya, it's a good DIPA. Pretty stellar actually. But you're in California and have access to all sorts of DIPAs of the same caliber. Check out that Avery Maharaja next to theempty Pliny spot. Or the Bear Republic Racer X. Or Alesmith's YuleSmith. Or FW Double Jack. I don't want to Midorka this topic, but there's so much out there and even the seasoned craft drinkers won't touch anything besides hype.

Not to go picking nits or anything, but Maharaja is a tremendously different beer than the others you mentioned. It really fits in more with the east coast IPAs, with its unmistakable caramelized backbone that doesn't tilt to a hop knockout like its west coast brethren.

E: I'm trapped in a small town for the holidays and the only beer I've had is Newcastle. In case you haven't had it in a while, let me save you the trouble and remind you that it's terrible. Hoping to get to Fort George here in Astoria, OR tomorrow and make up for my macrobrew misgivings. I have 9 lbs to spare in my luggage that will be occupied with some delicious beer from the closest thing this town has to a bottle shop. Fingers crossed.

wattershed fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 23, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

lodie posted:

Where? For both, please.

Lucked out at the Spec's in Katy for Stone Mint Chocolate, but no dice on the growler. The tap was at the Montrose Whole Foods and didn't even make it through last night. AND I missed Fra gee lay by an hour at Karbach today :smith:

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

wattershed posted:

E: I'm trapped in a small town for the holidays and the only beer I've had is Newcastle. In case you haven't had it in a while, let me save you the trouble and remind you that it's terrible. Hoping to get to Fort George here in Astoria, OR tomorrow and make up for my macrobrew misgivings. I have 9 lbs to spare in my luggage that will be occupied with some delicious beer from the closest thing this town has to a bottle shop. Fingers crossed.

Let me know how North VI is! They usually bring those to Holiday Ale Fest, but did Three Wisemen (which was quite good) instead this year. I wish I could try North IV again - that was the candy cane one, which was surprisingly well done.

Found a 6-pack of Lagunitas Sucks! at the local Fred Meyer. I saw one pack sitting in the refrigerated section and was sad because it was missing a bottle, but then found some more on an end cap in another part of the store. Still a great beer.

Has anyone ever had anything from Gilgamesh that was drinkable? I swear I've tried four different beers from them and each one has been the worst thing ever. I'm not just talking "not great", I mean pour-worthy from a guy that's definitely not above Hamm's/Olympia/PBR. I had a taster of their Blitz n' Prancer yesterday and was reminded of why I hate them so much.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'm at a pub in southwest London which has the nuttiest bottle list. Stuff from tons of american breweries with completely insane prices (14 gbp for a single can of Heady Topper!) but tons of Belgian at almost reasonable prices considering the London factor. The menu listed 3F Armand & Tomme, which they were out of - so I settled on a St. Lamvinus for take away. Opening it on xmas :)

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The Duck-Rabbit distributes to northern VA now :woop: It's a very special milk stout Xmas now!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Midorka posted:

Red's Rye is becoming a limited release

gently caress. That's one of my favorite beers of theirs.

As for Night Stalker, are you talking about this year's release? Because I've always enjoyed it in previous years, but I REALLY don't like the dry-hopping we did this year. I loving told them this would happen if we used Magnum instead of, you know, anything else ever. :argh:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Ubik posted:

gently caress. That's one of my favorite beers of theirs.

As for Night Stalker, are you talking about this year's release? Because I've always enjoyed it in previous years, but I REALLY don't like the dry-hopping we did this year. I loving told them this would happen if we used Magnum instead of, you know, anything else ever. :argh:

Yeah it was this years release, bottled 11/19/2012. It had a soy/vinegar finish. Did you say that you dry hopped with Magnum? Wasn't that hop bred specifically as a neutral/clean bittering hop? What benefit would it give when dry hopping?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

SUPER HASSLER posted:

12/26 thru 12/30

I'm coming back to Arlington on the night of 12/26 and off on the 27th. Gf & I could probably be talked into meeting up somewhere metro accessible that isn't Churchkey. (maybe worth noting that I've never been to Meridian Pint)

GIMMEL
Jan 24, 2005

by Lowtax
Swedish lagers are the poo poo. Almost as good as german ones.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

I'm coming back to Arlington on the night of 12/26 and off on the 27th. Gf & I could probably be talked into meeting up somewhere metro accessible that isn't Churchkey. (maybe worth noting that I've never been to Meridian Pint)

That all sounds rad to me; let me know when/where works for you as I am flexible. I've never been to DC before so I am open to any suggestion.

You don't have messages so drop a mail at superhassler@magweasel.com

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

air- posted:

Lucked out at the Spec's in Katy for Stone Mint Chocolate, but no dice on the growler. The tap was at the Montrose Whole Foods and didn't even make it through last night. AND I missed Fra gee lay by an hour at Karbach today :smith:

Yeah after googling it, I ended up at Whole Foods yesterday afternoon and it was gone. Specs on Holcombe had some Black Ops sitting around last night

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Wow... so I went out tonight to try to find another bottle or two of Big Bad Baptist, and I ran across a bottle of Batch #2. We'll see how BBB tastes with a year age on it!

e: For the record, I now have bottles of Batch #2, #5, and #9. I think I'm going to drink them all in the same night, for, you know... scientific reasons.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 24, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Just got a growler filled up last night. How long will it keep?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

7thBatallion posted:

About a week? I typically try to drink my growlers within 2-3 days though. I'm sure they last longer, but I like to play it safe.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

crazyfish posted:

I'm at a pub in southwest London which has the nuttiest bottle list. Stuff from tons of american breweries with completely insane prices

Sloany Pony?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

7thBatallion posted:

From when you open it, I generally give it 24 hours. More depending on the alcohol content and style.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Sloany Pony?

Cask pub and kitchen. Wound up hitting up a london bottleshop for some cantillon kriek and rose as well :)

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
So right now I'm drinking a Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock by Dark Horse. It's my first time drinking a Dopplebock, and also my first time trying something from Dark Horse. I'm really, really glad I decided to pick up a four pack of this, the taste/aroma are absolutely awesome.

After drinking this beer, I've come to the conclusion that I will probably like any type of well crafted coffee beer. I do, however, think that I need to try a more standard Dopplebock to really understand/appreciate the style. Does anyone have any good suggestions for Doppelbocks I could try in OH?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Kudosx posted:

So right now I'm drinking a Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock by Dark Horse. It's my first time drinking a Dopplebock, and also my first time trying something from Dark Horse. I'm really, really glad I decided to pick up a four pack of this, the taste/aroma are absolutely awesome.

After drinking this beer, I've come to the conclusion that I will probably like any type of well crafted coffee beer. I do, however, think that I need to try a more standard Dopplebock to really understand/appreciate the style. Does anyone have any good suggestions for Doppelbocks I could try in OH?

Troegs Troegenator is great, so is Ayinger Celebrator. I remember Sam Adams being decent, but a bit too sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

obi_ant posted:

About a week? I typically try to drink my growlers within 2-3 days though. I'm sure they last longer, but I like to play it safe.

A friend of mine gave a girl a grolwer of Arrogant Bastard and he found it in her fridge a YEAR LATER because she was "waiting for the right time to drink it". They cracked it and he said it was pretty much the same, some mild carbonation loss but still very drinkable.

On an other note...I had the Knee Deep Imperial Tanilla last night, quite good, coffee and chocolate, maybe a little thin but I will for sure buy again.

Anyone had the Lagunitas Imperial Stout? I saw it up in Sacramento last night but I had never seen it before, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.