Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

cods posted:

Also In this day and age what do you guys use to host images, for the remainder of my time here and from the past few weeks I have been taking pictures of stupid poo poo my cooks do, and I would like to share.

imgur is the one most widely used these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mezzanon posted:

So I think I just got a high school basketball team suspended.

DUDE!! loving SCREEN SHOTS!!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mezzanon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
that is delightful.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I might be overusing this smiley, but seriously, :allears:

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
I thought it was great that I put my notice in last night and the owner hadn't contacted me at all. Then he called the gm, and they talked for a minute, and she told me the owner wanted to talk, but before that she mentioned that the owner might want to cut my salary in the remainder of the time here! Nice!

Then I got on the phone with the owner, I let him poo poo on me. And I assured him I wasn't going to let things go to poo poo. Didn't mention anything about a pay cut. Also said something about wanting me to stay over a month if they haven't found anybody. Get real dude. One month and I'm out bitch.

So next week when I get my check(he is too cheap to do direct deposit lol) and it's short, can I just loving leave? There isn't anything in my contract about leaving/how long of a notice I have to give. Ughghgj stress.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

cods posted:

I thought it was great that I put my notice in last night and the owner hadn't contacted me at all. Then he called the gm, and they talked for a minute, and she told me the owner wanted to talk, but before that she mentioned that the owner might want to cut my salary in the remainder of the time here! Nice!

Then I got on the phone with the owner, I let him poo poo on me. And I assured him I wasn't going to let things go to poo poo. Didn't mention anything about a pay cut. Also said something about wanting me to stay over a month if they haven't found anybody. Get real dude. One month and I'm out bitch.

So next week when I get my check(he is too cheap to do direct deposit lol) and it's short, can I just loving leave? There isn't anything in my contract about leaving/how long of a notice I have to give. Ughghgj stress.

There is no such thing as an employment contract you can't just walk away from.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

cods posted:

frankly I'm not certain why you haven't yet apart from the innate desire to be professional in an environment where no one else is?

But I mean, yeah, if you aren't getting paid, why keep working?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

I have to echo the call for screenshots here, this sounds priceless.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

JawKnee posted:

frankly I'm not certain why you haven't yet apart from the innate desire to be professional in an environment where no one else is?

But I mean, yeah, if you aren't getting paid, why keep working?

I'm way too nice, which has hosed me a million times before. I literally cannot tell you the last time I have had a vacation because I haven't, six days a week for longer than I can remember, etc. But I'm getting over that because I do realize it just fucks me in the rear end, but it can work in my favor, luckily my reputation got me my next gig. I used to work with some guys and they actually found me/sought me out. Also the whole chefing thing I'm pretty decent at.

Have a tasting tomorrow with the owner. Gonna be awkwaaaaaaard. But I think after that I dont have to really see him anymore.

Tore down dry storage and reorganizing to clear head. Stress headache yo.

cods fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 10, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's no reason to stay there

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
My next spot isn't open yet, but if in a couple of weeks holmes wants to gently caress with my pay I'll totally walk out.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mezzanon posted:

Good thing it wasn't a football team, their parents would burn your workplace down.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

cods posted:

Terrible job

Honestly your posts come across like you're someone who has a really hard time standing up for yourself and if that's the case people are going to walk all over you until you change it. I don't mean to be rude and it's quite possible I'm misreading text on an internet forum but that's the impression I'm getting.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I have to echo the call for screenshots here, this sounds priceless.

Haha, I only have two messages I can screenshot on Facebook messenger, the rest was done via phone call. The principal was very pleasant to me, and furious at the students.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well, some details other than "I think they got suspended maybe" would be fine and awesome.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Vorenus posted:

Honestly your posts come across like you're someone who has a really hard time standing up for yourself and if that's the case people are going to walk all over you until you change it. I don't mean to be rude and it's quite possible I'm misreading text on an internet forum but that's the impression I'm getting.

No, I'm terrible at it. It's my biggest flaw, and I know that. Part of eating poo poo and saying yes, for me, was part of my journey, or whatever you want to call it, to head chef. As a cook I ended up always being the guy to rely on when someone calls out. Then when I was sous I was always there for my chef when, again people called out, or when the chef didn't have time to do ordering, or would I would stay late, or come in on my day off, whatever.

And in my current situation , I just realized it was poo poo, was never going to get better(talked to the gm today and she said this has happened several times in the past because the owner is such a douche) and I said gently caress this my life is too short. I would never, especially as a head chef, quit after four months but my Bullshit meter is kind of short after years of eating rear end from owners. At least I've worked with the people that I'm getting involved in and they are level headed and let the chef do his thing.

Also my current owner hates me. I came in as an experienced chef and I walked into an episode of kitchen nightmares, it was a complete poo poo show. Like the worst kitchen I had ever seen.
But he really only cares about the bottom line. He really doesn't give a poo poo about what we serve as long as it hits 25% food cost. The chef before me was just doing really rear end backwards weird stuff to make food cost. I was mortified. Cutting every corner you could think of. He liked her because she made cost, even though she served poo poo he was still making money.

As soon as I came in I started ordering real(not nice, or extravagant) normal products from reputable sources, but it raised food cost by a few percent and he freaks out. He doesnt realize 25 percent is not attainable unless you do ghetto poo poo. He would rather have ghetto poo poo instead of actually having the products advertised on the menu. Also our menu is protein heavy.

Steak houses run high cost because steak is expensive, and they make money on sides/booze. A vegetable heavy restaurant runs great food cost(as long your doing everything yourself) because there's nothing crazy expensive. A regular place runs around 27-29(again this depends on a lot of poo poo). This is a regular place, 25% is just ridiculous and I refuse to order Swiss and sell it as gruyere and a bunch of other poo poo like that.

That was our big battle.

Dry storage looks good though, I'm sure it will be hosed up by morning.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Speaking of food cost, Kenji put out this article the other day on why a vegan entree can be just as expensive as a protein-based dish. What do you all think of it? I'm with some of the commenters who say that even if the logic makes sense, I suffer a mental block that would keep me from ever ordering a vegetarian dish at the same price point as a protein-based dish, despite its quality.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

That's probably because for a long time the vegetarian dishes were an afterthought, cobbled together with whatever is on the line anyways to accommodate maybe 2-3% of your customers.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah.. I mean places are mostly coming around to vegetarian, let alone the vegan life. My boss works on premise in Manhattan, so there are numerous dinners and poo poo on the high end, and trust me there are many that still have no loving clue how to really do a veggie or vegan plate (beyond choose four sides). We eat a lot of falafel to compensate.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Also, the overheard aspect of that article kinda makes sense.. if you think of it like "well it costs $12 bucks to hire a team of drug addicts and get them to open a can of beefaroni for you.. if you would prefer heirloom tubers that'll be +$4, if you prefer kobe buttholes that'll be +$12."

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

cods posted:

My next spot isn't open yet, but if in a couple of weeks holmes wants to gently caress with my pay I'll totally walk out.

you should, and this also sounds highly illegal?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

THE MACHO MAN posted:

you should, and this also sounds highly illegal?

It is illegal to cut a persons pay after they worked the hours without a new employment agreement before the hours are worked.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Mezzanon posted:

Haha, I only have two messages I can screenshot on Facebook messenger, the rest was done via phone call. The principal was very pleasant to me, and furious at the students.

You are a Golden God. Please post screen grabs. Such justice. If you are in a small town you might get your rear end kicked, heads up.

Also NYC chef dude. Stand up for yourself. That is all such horseshit. Think about empathy. Your owner lacks it and is using their mental defangengement to take advantage of your kindness. I wish you the best man.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Midniter posted:

Speaking of food cost, Kenji put out this article the other day on why a vegan entree can be just as expensive as a protein-based dish. What do you all think of it? I'm with some of the commenters who say that even if the logic makes sense, I suffer a mental block that would keep me from ever ordering a vegetarian dish at the same price point as a protein-based dish, despite its quality.

People used to get mad at me about not giving discounts. My burgers came with cheese, and a bunch of people would call me out of the kitchen and be like
"How much are your burgers?"
"10 bucks."
"How much without cheese."
"....10 bucks."

Or when they were ordering something and wanted to remove the chicken they would be offended it was the same price. Here is an idea, if you want some special snowflake food, cook it your drat self. I don't haggle over my prices, regardless of how much you want to butcher the dish.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

People used to get mad at me about not giving discounts. My burgers came with cheese, and a bunch of people would call me out of the kitchen and be like
"10 bucks."
"....10 bucks."

Or when they were ordering something and wanted to remove the chicken they would be offended it was the same price. Here is an idea, if you want some special snowflake food, cook it your drat self. I don't haggle over my prices, regardless of how much you want to butcher the dish.

But Taco Bell gives me extra cheese on my nachos bell grande for free. :mad:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

"10 bucks."
"....10 bucks."

I used to get poo poo like this a lot at an upscale hotel I worked at...
"they want to order a burger for their dog, how much should I charge? "
"Press the button in the computer that says burger"

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

The Midniter posted:

We actually calculate prices with the food cost as the smallest factor - prices are what they are because that's what it costs to have raw product from local farms, grown by people who can afford health insurance and make a living wage cooked by other people who have paid health insurance and make high wages and served to you by people who have paid health insurance and high wages. Whether it's the Heritage pork chop or the truffled risotto or the grains and greens plate makes very little difference in what it costs us to make and serve it.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Was supposed to have a tasting with the owner for new spring menu stuff, which was going to be awkward as gently caress. But hes 45 minutes late, no call or text. Made all this poo poo... This is the second time this has happened.

Edit: aaaaand saute cook called out. Niice

cods fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 10, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
just throw it all in a box and ship it to his home

i mean literally scrape all the plates into a cardboard box and close it

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Just found out, owner was going to cut my pay and not tell me, until the Gm got into fight with him and reminded him that A. I would just leave and B. That's illegal and lovely. Only four more weeks of this poo poo!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

cods posted:

Just found out, owner was going to cut my pay and not tell me, until the Gm got into fight with him and reminded him that A. I would just leave and B. That's illegal and lovely. Only four more weeks of this poo poo!

Leave now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

cods posted:

Remember that scene in Lord of the Rings where Gollum says GO AWAY AND NEVER COME BACK

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Secondary update: today I had some kids call me and apologize to me via the principals cell phone. What a heart warming experience.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cods posted:

Kill the owner and replace them with a hamster, the hamster will both be way cuter and be better at running the place, win win.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Secondary update: today I had some kids call me and apologize to me via the principals cell phone. What a heart warming experience.

hahaha, awesome

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Texas chef goons: Are there any places in Lubbock you'd recommend? My GF is there for work for a few days but has a plenty downtime to check out good restaurants.

PhoenixShen
Feb 13, 2016

Out of curiosity... Anyone a pastry chef here, or at least handle the bulk of the baking end of things for your establishment?

If so, what time do you start in the day... And how many hours before service do you get to prep?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

PhoenixShen posted:

Out of curiosity... Anyone a pastry chef here, or at least handle the bulk of the baking end of things for your establishment?

If so, what time do you start in the day... And how many hours before service do you get to prep?

I've been a pastry chef and baker at both my current place (head chef now) and a couple other places I've worked at. Current place used to be an overnight baking shift, 10pm-6 or 8am, before we cut out our baking program and now just do pastries & desserts in house. Now it's a 6am start, the pastry chef along with one other person does our (usually slow) 8-11am breakfast, then finishes up pastry poo poo before they go home around 2 or 3. Other places I've worked (that didn't do bullshit breakfasts) were either overnight shifts, and then the pantry/salads person would plate desserts for service, or 11am starts and you basically come in, get poo poo organized, do lunch desserts, have the afternoon to prep for the night/next day, and then do dinner desserts, then go home. Those kinds of shifts were the places that were big enough to have at least a couple people doing pastries almost every day though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhoenixShen
Feb 13, 2016

Interesting. I work at a smallish restaurant and start most days at noon. We start service at 5, and I have all the bread (4 kinds,) desserts and the garmo station to complete plus mentor a fresh out of culinary school kid. I've been trying to argue that I should be allowed in the building earlier in the day, but the head chef seems to think noon or 1pm start time is normal.

• Locked thread