Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

In Rev's mind the gamergaters are the defenders against anti-GG, the prog mob who are against gamergate and gamers because progs like to crush anybody who isn't them. Yes, he's just swallowed the GG narrative wholesale, and no, he never questions his ingroup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Heresiarch posted:

When the hell did Pando stop being just a bunch of press releases?

It's still garbage but it's different garbage, I wonder what happened.

When Sarah bought NSFWCORP and made Paul Carr editor in chief, and also hired Mark Ames and Yasha Levine. I'm glad to see Leigh Cowart has had at least one article too.

I enjoy it quite a bit. For example, they have tons of good reporting on Uber, which led to Sarah being told by an Uber exec that she and her family were "fair game" (in the Scientology "suppressive person" sense) which of course made them double down on the investigative reporting.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It was just a joke, really. No deeper thought to it.

Hate Fibration posted:

I don't own a TV! That's what laptops and internet connections are for! :pseudo:

I think you are massively overestimating how universal 4chan was for people. Me and my friends in high school were massive dorks. I feel like the fact that they used memes in everyday conversation and I still hung out with them was evidence of this. But no one outside my little group of nerd friends would catch the references. The internet equivalent of "I down even own a TV" is easily "I don't have a Facebook" and I am not sure why you are so defensive about 4chan, especially when talking about the time period we are, the site was definitely a "Not for everyone" kind of place. I always felt it was downright unpleasant and very much lacking in accountability, and years later everyone I know who was involved with it finds it embarrassing and awkward. It was really more like the adolescent geek equivalent of "super embarrassing goth phase" and pretending that it's some sort of generational touchstone strikes me as pretty disingenuous.

On the other hand, now THIS post... :v:

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

On the other hand, now THIS post... :v:

What about it?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was more than happy to pay for NSFWCorp but I am substantially less interested in paying for Pando and I'm not sure why.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Heresiarch posted:

I refuse to lie to myself and pretend that I don't find intense satisfaction in the public embarrassment of utter shitheels like Thiel (and Hulk Hogan, etc), even if the other side of my brain is telling me that Gawker is a gossip rag with exceedingly poor editorial ethics. I think the majority of people in this thread feel similarly; we are not rationalist Übermenschen who refuse to even acknowledge the contradiction and therefore feel the need to find a logical excuse for their instinctive emotional reactions.

I also believe in the sanctity of human life and the necessity of human dignity, while at the same time feeling very strongly that (for example) Margaret Thatcher deserved to die homeless and suffering in a ditch somewhere in Yorkshire.

Vast, contain multitudes, etc.

keep in mind that while they were trying to get a copy of hogans sex tape their were also running a crusade about the release of those celebrities nude photos. It's the hypocrisy that annoys me.

Cumslut1895 has a new favorite as of 08:05 on May 27, 2016

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Cumslut1895 posted:

keep in mind that while they were trying to get a copy of hogans sex tape their were also running a crusade about the release of those celebrities nude photos. It's the hypocrisy that annoys me.

Yes, but Hulk Hogan is a wretched sac of fermented machismo who is on those tapes talking about how much he hates his daughter dating [euphemisms], which is the real reason he's so upset about them, and therefore the hypocrite in me, who I have come to embrace over the years, has no real problem with this. You can take the high road if you want, but don't pretend that some small part of you isn't gleeful that Gawker got to be your sin-eater, to be the transgressor while you get to stand back and enjoy the show with clean hands.

The world is a terrifying vortex of human suffering already, ruled over by the worst among us, and nothing can or will ever change that, so take these little pleasures where you can. Feel sympathy for the women whose photos were stolen, and laugh with your full heart at the flexing man-scrote now revealed to be the pathetic creature that he is. If this is hypocrisy then it's your loving birthright and you should wield it with both hands.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I wouldn't really go to bat for Gawker Media but I did tacitly support them due to the frothing rage they conjured up a) on Reddit b) in GamerGate.

They deserved to be hit for the sex tape but not to the tune of being run out of business.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Heresiarch posted:

Yes, but Hulk Hogan is a wretched sac of fermented machismo who is on those tapes talking about how much he hates his daughter dating [euphemisms], which is the real reason he's so upset about them, and therefore the hypocrite in me, who I have come to embrace over the years, has no real problem with this. You can take the high road if you want, but don't pretend that some small part of you isn't gleeful that Gawker got to be your sin-eater, to be the transgressor while you get to stand back and enjoy the show with clean hands.

The world is a terrifying vortex of human suffering already, ruled over by the worst among us, and nothing can or will ever change that, so take these little pleasures where you can. Feel sympathy for the women whose photos were stolen, and laugh with your full heart at the flexing man-scrote now revealed to be the pathetic creature that he is. If this is hypocrisy then it's your loving birthright and you should wield it with both hands.

Honestly I hate true-believer hypocrisy worse than almost anything. I'm enjoying watching Gawker crash and burn while simultaneously publishing articles decrying bad piloting.
Not that hulk hogan isin't an insane parody of a comic book character

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

Honestly I hate true-believer hypocrisy worse than almost anything. I'm enjoying watching Gawker crash and burn while simultaneously publishing articles decrying bad piloting.
Not that hulk hogan isin't an insane parody of a comic book character

Would you say it's about ethics in journalism?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Would you say it's about ethics in journalism?

Not at all. the losers responsible for releasing those pictures should be in jail for some variety of sexual assault or rape. Doesn't mean I have to like gawker.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

Doesn't mean I have to like gawker.

Well yes, but gleefully watching an entire organisation go down because a racist idiot sued it while bankrolled by a fascist idiot seems a bit much.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Well yes, but gleefully watching an entire organisation go down because a racist idiot sued it while bankrolled by a fascist idiot seems a bit much.

http://jezebel.com/294383/have-you-ever-beat-up-a-boyfriend-cause-uh-we-have

they're anti-domestic violence activists who gleefully admit to beating up their boyfreinds

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cumslut1895 posted:

they're anti-domestic violence activists who gleefully admit to beating up their boyfreinds

thats nice honey

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

thats nice honey

So you're cool with that then?

I hate the idea that you need to pick a side then defend them whatever they do...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

Okay, you found a lovely article from 2007. I'm not going to defend it. I am going to notice you knew about, and could reference, a 9-year old article that would definitely be listed on MRA sites.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Is there some way that all of Gawker, Thiel and Hulk Hogan can lose? I want an outcome where they all lose big.

In other news, Neoreaction A Basilisk has made $11,000 so a bonus essays ebook for all backers is go! Projected to top $12k, so Phil is working on the TERFs essay. edit: and the fifth promotional podcast is up.

divabot has a new favorite as of 10:24 on May 27, 2016

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Okay, you found a lovely article from 2007. I'm not going to defend it. I am going to notice you knew about, and could reference, a 9-year old article that would definitely be listed on MRA sites.

Not an MRA. I did see it through a Reddit link though. The reason I remembered it is that it is aggressively hypocritical, which is something I hate.
do you think if asked the current editors they'd disown that article? something tells me no.

divabot posted:

Is there some way that all of Gawker, Thiel and Hulk Hogan can lose? I want an outcome where they all lose big.

In other news, Neoreaction A Basilisk has made $11,000 so a bonus essays ebook for all backers is go! Projected to top $12k, so Phil is working on the TERFs essay.

that would be ideal.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Oh hey I wasted a perfectly good rant on a goddamn idiot.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Heresiarch posted:

Oh hey I wasted a perfectly good rant on a goddamn idiot.

sorry for not instantly becoming your disciple I guess

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

Not an MRA. I did see it through a Reddit link though. The reason I remembered it is that it is aggressively hypocritical, which is something I hate.
do you think if asked the current editors they'd disown that article? something tells me no.

Again, I'm not doing to defend that article, and think it should be taken down. I would hope the editors would agree, but will admit that the fact they haven't already done so is damning.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Again, I'm not doing to defend that article, and think it should be taken down. I would hope the editors would agree, but will admit that the fact they haven't already done so is damning.

to be fair, I understand the impulse to defend against any internal criticism, however valid it is. Jezebel is probably responsible for good things, and and accepting criticism for something they screwed up on would weaken their ability to do good. It's not great for society though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

to be fair, I understand the impulse to defend against any internal criticism, however valid it is. Jezebel is probably responsible for good things, and and accepting criticism for something they screwed up on would weaken their ability to do good. It's not great for society though.

I'm not saying Gawker shouldn't be criticised, I'm curious as to why you said you're enjoying this so much. I would be happy to see them financially punished, but you're gleeful to see an entire operation go out of business.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

I'm not saying Gawker shouldn't be criticised, I'm curious as to why you said you're enjoying this so much. I would be happy to see them financially punished, but you're gleeful to see an entire operation go out of business.

As far as I'm concerned, there willingness to abandon their beliefs the second the target is someone they don't like means they never believed what they said, and were just using it to gain something. in this case, media attention. I don't think the existence of groups like that is good for anyone, including women.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

As far as I'm concerned, there willingness to abandon their beliefs the second the target is someone they don't like means they never believed what they said, and were just using it to gain something. in this case, media attention. I don't think the existence of groups like that is good for anyone, including women.

Your posts sound really well rehearsed.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Your posts sound really well rehearsed.

I've been thinkin' about this a bit.

edit: Also I'm a fuckin' good writer ya hear

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cumslut1895 posted:

Does this mean you still share your opinion of black people circa March of this year, then

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Either way once Gawker has been killed over two manchildren throwing a tantrum I hope some other low-effort rag starts doggedly pursuing Thiel and has dumb baby actions.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

Does this mean you still share your opinion of black people circa March of this year, then

without crawling through my post history I'm going to assume I said they should all be sent to " work camps"

in which case yes.

what did I say about black people?

Tesseraction posted:

Either way once Gawker has been killed over two manchildren throwing a tantrum I hope some other low-effort rag starts doggedly pursuing Thiel and has dumb baby actions.

this is the way the world ends...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nessus posted:

Ahahaha hoooo boy yeah this dude really is calling for ethics in games journalism.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Ahahaha hoooo boy yeah this dude really is calling for ethics in games journalism.

what did I call for, exactly?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I bet you found that jezebel article on KotakuInAction

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

I bet you found that jezebel article on KotakuInAction

eh, something like that. don't read reddit anymore. It's not like the source of the article effects it's contents though, I found it this time by googling "gawker beat boyfriend" since I forgot that Jezebel existed as a 'separate' publication"'

edit: I get what you're saying tho, reddit is all kinds of hosed up, which is why I stopped reading it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

edit: I get what you're saying tho, reddit is all kinds of hosed up, which is why I stopped reading it

did you move to voat

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

did you move to voat

no, to your mothers personal blog. she posted some weird erotic The Brave Little Toaster fanfic

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:getin:

Has Sandifer given an estimated time frame between the KS finishing and expected delivery?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I was enjoying this discussion btw.

edit: is neoreaction: A basilbisc supporting the spergs or opposing them, I haven't been paying attention

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cumslut1895 posted:

what did I say about black people?
Well since you'd asked. Someone had said "the answer is that AI are not people."

Cumslut1895 posted:

Nor are Negros. This discussion is over.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tesseraction posted:

:getin:
Has Sandifer given an estimated time frame between the KS finishing and expected delivery?

Kickstarter page has delivery dates. (June for electronic copies, July for physical ones, when it's done for bonus essays ebook, 2017 for Amazon edition in paper and ebook.)

Cumslut1895 posted:

edit: is neoreaction: A basilbisc supporting the spergs or opposing them, I haven't been paying attention

Kickstarter page has links to about 15k words of excerpts which may contain the answer.