Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The law seems fairly reasonable as written, but sadly might give reasonable doubt in this case (sadly, I say, because I think Ghomeshi is probably a giant piece of poo poo like most people already suspect). Still, I've been in situations where consent is probably there, but not definitely so. I didn't do anything because I didn't feel comfortable with the situation on any level, and drunk women don't turn me on, but it would be really difficult for me to say that someone who made a different choice in the same situation is a horrible person or a criminal (after the fact, I was told by a mutual friend that the woman in question claimed, while sober, to "enjoy being raped"). I tend to go by the "enthusiastic consent" standard, but I don't think that's recognized by law at this point. Better safe than sorry, if there's any ambiguity, for everyone involved.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Made with Air
Jan 30, 2007

Math You posted:

Someone more creative (and generally more useful) than me troll social media for truck nut hicks who shared similar clips and are now begging for assistance and make funnies.

courtesy of a charming Facebook group called You can't be a Pipeliner and a Pussy

please pray for us

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Made with Air posted:

courtesy of a charming Facebook group called You can't be a Pipeliner and a Pussy

please pray for us

The first one is fairly accurate, unfortunately. The second one makes very little sense. The third one is somewhat accurate too -- there will always be bitching when gas prices go up, and energy companies will benefit (and probably laugh). The fourth one is bizarre, because I don't think anyone at any level has been ignoring the oilfield layoffs (also: suck it up, you miserable, whiny cunts were making many multiples of what a WalMart worker does). The last one is just stupid as gently caress, because it involves prayer, which is stupid as gently caress.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 9, 2022

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

PT6A posted:

The first one is fairly accurate, unfortunately. The second one makes very little sense. The third one is somewhat accurate too -- there will always be bitching when gas prices go up, and energy companies will benefit (and probably laugh). The fourth one is bizarre, because I don't think anyone at any level has been ignoring the oilfield layoffs (also: suck it up, you miserable, whiny cunts were making many multiples of what a WalMart worker does). The last one is just stupid as gently caress, because it involves prayer, which is stupid as gently caress.

The second one is some woman leaving them because they dont have money anymore

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jsoh posted:

The second one is some woman leaving them because they dont have money anymore

I thought that was a pro-oil-worker page?

Or do they actually want to imply that they're all shacked up with a bunch of whores who would only deign to touch their penis because of money? I mean, it's probably true, but I wouldn't draw attention to it if I were them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the implication is that <other people> are gold-diggers

especially funny given the profession

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
It will get really creepy if the crown does bring is SFE on this one because there is going to be a debate as to whether or not these acts were similar enough in character. Things like chocking vs hitting vs turning around the teddy bear before you do it and where and when it all happened will come into play. That will be when we get very nitty gritty.

One thing is for sure, we will probably see an entire evidence text book play out in this case, and likely a leading case made on sexual assaults.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 9, 2022

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm just waiting for the crown to intruce video evidence of the acts in question. I'm sure ghomeshi was secretly recording it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Picnic Princess posted:

The death of Mother Canada is another step in killing Harper's lovely legacy once and for all. I've been doing a lot of studies on the parks and how politics affect them, and it's been a huge relief to see all the poo poo they've been pressured into doing being reversed so quickly. Hopefully soon they'll start funding scientific research and employing wardens to stop the increased poaching the mountains have seen in the last few years.

Hey speaking of science, NRC Herzberg has a website again and the scientists there do too. That's something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

PT6A posted:

I thought that was a pro-oil-worker page?

Or do they actually want to imply that they're all shacked up with a bunch of whores who would only deign to touch their penis because of money? I mean, it's probably true, but I wouldn't draw attention to it if I were them.

That's exactly it, yes.

It's A Thing among carpetbagging oil workers in Alberta that they're all paranoid that any woman who gives them the time of day must be a gold-digger just after that sweet sweet oil money.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

jm20 posted:

I'm just waiting for the crown to intruce video evidence of the acts in question. I'm sure ghomeshi was secretly recording it.

And who would have provided them with this evidence?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, there was an equal pay for women motion in the house introduced by the NDP. Both LPC and NDP voted for it. Of course, CPC voted against. It feels so good to say it passed anyways, which is a nice change from how a vote like taht woulda gone a year ago.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, there was an equal pay for women motion in the house introduced by the NDP. Both LPC and NDP voted for it. Of course, CPC voted against. It feels so good to say it passed anyways, which is a nice change from how a vote like taht woulda gone a year ago.

Oh sweet, how did we solve the equal pay for women problem?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
With the power of hope.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Ikantski posted:

Oh sweet, how did we solve the equal pay for women problem?

The same way we've solved every great issue of social justice that's confronted our proud nation: by establishing a special parliamentary committee to study the issue.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Entropic posted:

It's A Thing among carpetbagging oil workers in Alberta morons everywhere that they're all paranoid that any woman who gives them the time of day must be a gold-digger just after that sweet sweet oil money.

Many dudes in the construction and shipping industry also fear this, sadly. And they wonder why gettin' laid seems* so difficult lol.

*it's not, unless your a lovely idiot

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
An acquaintance of mine moved to Alberta for a tar sands job a year or two ago and soon after posted something on Facebook like "when I'm talking to a girl and she asks 'what do you do for a living' I immediately end the conversation" (with the implication being, because she's a golddigger) and we all made fun of him.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Made with Air posted:

please pray for us

So BC has been swimming for a long time? Easterners, pfft.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Current Maritimer Mood: :getin:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I like how many Albertans seem to be complaining that they think the country is treating them in the same way that they wanted to treat the rest of the country back when their economy was doing well. :qq: The Eastern bastards are going to let us freeze in the dark! How dare they! :qq:

It's very typical bully behaviour. When you're on top you mock everyone else for being down. As soon as you're down you assume that everybody must be ignoring your pain because that's exactly what you'd do in that situation and you can't imagine anyone being less of a miserable bastard than you are.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Since most of you literally orgasm when you can hate on Alberta (which I think is pathetic), 2 teens died and 6 were injured when they snuck on to the bobsled track and went down, you can go read all the comments with people saying they deserved to die.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahaha loving morons

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kafka Esq. posted:

And who would have provided them with this evidence?

The TPS who are above the law like Sylvester Stallone.

Helsing posted:

I like how many Albertans seem to be complaining that they think the country is treating them in the same way that they wanted to treat the rest of the country back when their economy was doing well. :qq: The Eastern bastards are going to let us freeze in the dark! How dare they! :qq:

It's very typical bully behaviour. When you're on top you mock everyone else for being down. As soon as you're down you assume that everybody must be ignoring your pain because that's exactly what you'd do in that situation and you can't imagine anyone being less of a miserable bastard than you are.

They finally have, granted an on the books, an unemployment issue. It's like they think they are the first province to have employment problems :shrug:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Do it ironically posted:

Since most of you literally orgasm when you can hate on Alberta (which I think is pathetic), 2 teens died and 6 were injured when they snuck on to the bobsled track and went down, you can go read all the comments with people saying they deserved to die.

Wow, it's the completely canadian version of this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j91nOym5_yE&t=8s judging by what the first responders said.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ikantski posted:

Wow, it's the completely canadian version of this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j91nOym5_yE&t=8s judging by what the first responders said.

What is it with Australia having the most over-the-top reactionary commercials about how if you break the law you'll be horribly murdered? It's like they hired Tobe Hooper to direct their PSAs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the minefield thing is a joke

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I assume it's a joke that's made funnier by the fact that Australian commercials really are that insane.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Helsing posted:

What is it with Australia having the most over-the-top reactionary commercials about how if you break the law you'll be horribly murdered? It's like they hired Tobe Hooper to direct their PSAs.

Yeah Australia is basically entirely "IF YOU DO ANYTHING WRONG YOU WILL BE PUNISHED". The example I always use is the Port Mann sign that says "please pay within 7 days for lowest tolls" whereas in Australia toll signs are always like "FUCKIN' PAY UP NOW OR WE'LL FINE YA!!!!!"

Those poor kids. It was a stupid thing to do, but teenagers do lots of stupid things, it's too bad that one ended in their deaths.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Those poor kids. It was a stupid thing to do, but teenagers do lots of stupid things, it's too bad that one ended in their deaths.

As much as I often wish stupidity were fatal, wanting to run a sled down a bobsleigh track is such an awesome idea, ignoring the high risk of injury or death, that I can't blame teenagers for trying it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
This is the reason why we have stuff like attractive nuisance laws. It's basically society's way of accepting that sometimes we as a species can't help ourselves and do stupid poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Helsing posted:

As an Albertan (who is not employed by the oil sector), this is spot on.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

I feel like this would be a more effective post if this entire thread wasn't filled with people mocking them for being down.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Except for the fact that one of the more satisfying experiences in life is watching a bully cry.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

I feel like this would be a more effective post if this entire thread wasn't filled with people mocking them for being down.

Forgive us if after ten years of having an Albertan bully for a Prime Minister, we dare to enjoy for a few brief moments the thrill of everything he ever did being proven wrong.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Helsing posted:

Pretty much, yea. We have some particularly repugnant people in our province for whatever reason.

Jordan7hm posted:

Considering the number of people I've met in Sherwood Park that have stated these exact positions it's very spot on for me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

As much as I often wish stupidity were fatal, wanting to run a sled down a bobsleigh track is such an awesome idea, ignoring the high risk of injury or death, that I can't blame teenagers for trying it.

Definitely. As someone who has done skeleton before, it is one of the greatest feelings on the planet. I imagine that even on a sled that would have been a lot slower than 100kph it still would be awesome.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

Forgive us if after ten years of having an Albertan bully for a Prime Minister, we dare to enjoy for a few brief moments the thrill of everything he ever did being proven wrong.

He is from Toronto.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
It's almost like Alberta currently has a culture of defeatism :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mik posted:

It's almost like Alberta currently has a culture of defeatism :smug:

There's no need to joke about that, it's very true. There are a bunch of whiny babies in this province right now and they need a swift kick up the rear end. The ANDP has, by and large, done the right things, as has the federal government. It's time to get the panties untwisted and stop blaming every single other person for everything. Calgary is still a growing, vibrant city, so I'm sick of people acting like it's the end of days.