Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Geist and schneier are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jm20 posted:

150k-200k in family income is pretty wealthy all things said and you would do yourself a disservice to only think of the most bougie people as the only rich there is. A majority of people in Canada don't know what it's like to forget when payday is, middle class inclusive.

Families who make 150k-200k included.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CLAM DOWN posted:

According to that, the brackets that got the cut were:

$45,282 - $90,563
$90,563 - $140,388

So I'm not sure where the "100k to 220k" came from

1.5% cut on taxable income over 45-90k. 4% increase on taxable income over 200k. So it's not a tax break for people who make 45k because they make zero income between 45 and 90k. 90-140k isn't changing.

55k saves 1.5% of 10k or $150.
65k saves 1.5% of 20k or $300.
75k saves 1.5% of 30k or $450.
85k saves 1.5% of 40k or $600.
90k saves 1.5% of 45k or $670 which is the max.

For people between 90k and 200k, it's $670.

After 200k, the 4% increase kicks in but it eats away at the $670 for a while. At $216,500 you break even and after $216,500 your taxes have finally increased.

Except all those numbers are net taxable income after reductions. So things like RRSPs, childcare expenses, home business deductions, medical expenses, education, etc all get subtracted first.

I say 100k to 220k because I'd estimate, conservatively, someone with a salary of 100k would find 10k of deductions and someone with a salary of 200k would find 20k.

A Middle Class power couple with a household income of $440k, both making $220k who contribute 20k each to their RRSPs will get $1,340 back under the Middle Class tax cut where they got zero before under income splitting.

The guy making 55k who scrimps and saves 10k to contribute to his RRSP gets nothing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canadian dollar is creeping up again. Are all you forex Gordon gekkos paying attention lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Harper is an interlude between Chretien/Martin and Trudeau. The left needs to stop fixating on him so much. It makes it way easier for people to ignore what Trudeau (or Chretien and Martin) did are and are doing.

It's nice that Trudeau is going to spend some money on infrastructure right now but just wait. A year or two from now the privatizations will start and all kinds of progressive groups that would normally line up to condemn this stuff will be conspicuously silent because they don't want to lose a few million dollars of annual federal funding and a bunch of low info progressive voters won't want to face the cognitive dissonance of admitting that their preferred candidate screwed them.

You've mentioned academics a few times, and I think it's worth underlining the connection between successive Liberal governments and the institutions they've created. A lot of them tie into academia, either directly through research funding programs like SSHRC and NSERC, and indirect programs that help fund university programs. While I know plenty of academics who are critical of the Liberal government (see one of the minor fads in Canadian history about Canada being a "Liberal order.") despite budget cuts and downloading research costs on to universities, academics have always been entwined in the institutions dedicated to establishing and building up forms of Canadian identity championed by Pearson and Trudeau in the 60s and 70s. Even the refugees of the New Left who arrived from the US, who helped drive poststructural criticism of state institutions have always seemed to me pretty mild in their critiques of Canadian democratic institutions. I'd argue that this is because the government engaged them to become part of these identity-building projects spanning from scientific to historical to literary research.

Stephen Harper seemed to be bent on dismantling these institutions, and so he got a lot of push back from Canadian academic institutions, from faculty and disciplinary associations to universities themselves. There will still be a lot of criticisms of the Liberal government, I'm sure, but I suspect those will critiques by individuals and less so their governing institutions.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Canadian dollar is creeping up again. Are all you forex Gordon gekkos paying attention lmao

Dead cat bounce

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Besides the insanity of Trump I haven't really kept up on American politics but I've heard that some American politicians aren't too keen on the TPP and might not ratify it which could dissolve the whole thing. Do we have to hope for a Sanders or Paul win, or are more mainstream people against it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chicken posted:

Besides the insanity of Trump I haven't really kept up on American politics but I've heard that some American politicians aren't too keen on the TPP and might not ratify it which could dissolve the whole thing. Do we have to hope for a Sanders or Paul win, or are more mainstream people against it?

I believe Trump is against it, actually.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Chicken posted:

rand paul dropped out yesterday and as a nonwhite american who dearly cherishes the civil rights act, i'm glad of it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Chicken posted:

It's in real trouble in the Senate and might not get to 50 votes.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dreylad posted:

You've mentioned academics a few times, and I think it's worth underlining the connection between successive Liberal governments and the institutions they've created. A lot of them tie into academia, either directly through research funding programs like SSHRC and NSERC, and indirect programs that help fund university programs. While I know plenty of academics who are critical of the Liberal government (see one of the minor fads in Canadian history about Canada being a "Liberal order.") despite budget cuts and downloading research costs on to universities, academics have always been entwined in the institutions dedicated to establishing and building up forms of Canadian identity championed by Pearson and Trudeau in the 60s and 70s. Even the refugees of the New Left who arrived from the US, who helped drive poststructural criticism of state institutions have always seemed to me pretty mild in their critiques of Canadian democratic institutions. I'd argue that this is because the government engaged them to become part of these identity-building projects spanning from scientific to historical to literary research.

Stephen Harper seemed to be bent on dismantling these institutions, and so he got a lot of push back from Canadian academic institutions, from faculty and disciplinary associations to universities themselves. There will still be a lot of criticisms of the Liberal government, I'm sure, but I suspect those will critiques by individuals and less so their governing institutions.

I agree with this analysis and would say it could be extended to much of the public sector. In the last Ontario election we even had the unprecedented example of the police unions running ads against the Conservatives, which I would not have predicted.

I think it's a testament to Harper's personality that he was so willing to attack and antagonize these groups even when it probably did him real political harm without delivering any real benefits. It's similar, in a fashion, to the way that the Conservatives' take-no-prisoners-brook-no-dissent approach to building pipelines probably ended up doing more harm to their agenda than good.

But really this dynamic is part of what makes Liberal governments so dangerous. The last Liberal government produces warm and fuzzy feelings in a lot of people even though they cut deeper than Harper and probably caused more direct pain to Canadians in need than the federal conservatives ever did. The Liberals excel at dividing and conquering different segments of Canada's progressive population.

From a purely selfish personal perspective I suspect I and people like me are somewhat better off under Liberals than Conservatives. But if you're not in Trudeau's "middle class" or directly employed in a handful of industries then chances are that your quality of living doesn't change much at all regardless of which party is running things. That, to me, is a problem. If political parties can't significantly improve regular people's situations at a time like this then what good are they?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Geist and schneier are the worst

Nah, Schneier's great.
Is there anything in life you do like? Anything that brings you joy? I mean, other than expressing seething hatred and rage?
Every time you post, I can't help but think of a line from the film "The Football Factory"

Tommy Johnson posted:

I was raised in a concrete jungle on a diet of glue and hate

As much as I enjoy your posting, I sincerely hope your life is not as miserable as it comes across here.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So here we sit, hoping for an American election, of all things, to save us from this horrible deal we're stuck with.

I hate this country.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Coolwhoami posted:

Dead cat bounce

That is such a bizarre term.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

we had a 2.5 hour discussion on my work slack today about norbert's gambit

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

quote:

Good Friday morning to you.

For some time the Liberals have said their plan for fighting the Islamic State was coming ‘soon.’ Soon seems to have arrived, as the plan is expected to be unveiled within days. That was confirmed yesterday by International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau, who said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will present the details with her, Foreign Minister Stephane Dion and Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.“We really want to announce a holistic approach and this includes all our contributions in terms of military, in terms of diplomacy and in terms of humanitarian assistance and development.”

Meanwhile, Defence critic James Bezan can’t get his head around how climate change might be a root factor in all that’s happening in Syria — and yesterday during question period he blasted Sajjan for linking the two. Of course, the defence minister isn’t the first person to do so.

The Canadian Press has learned that Ottawa is set to overhaul its support units for wounded and ill soldiers. As Murray Brewster reports, a re-org was one of three recommendations made in an internal review of the troubled Joint Personnel Support Unit system.

Although he delivered on financial support and fast-tracking infrastructure funding, and brought a sympathetic ear, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau doesn’t leave Alberta’s oil path with his position on the Energy East pipeline swayed one way or another. As Bill Graveland reports, after meeting with federal Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr, Premier Rachel Notley, as well as oil and gas producers, Trudeau insisted he won’t follow the Conservatives lead and politicize pipelines. “I’m not going to prejudge or shortcut the (National Energy Board) process as it goes forward,” he said. “It’s important that we have confidence in our regulators. It’s important they do their job and we’re going to allow them to do their job without political interference.”

That’s sitting just fine with Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi. He says while mayors and provinces can spout off their opinions all they like, whether it’s about pipelines, hockey teams or vegetables, the final says rests with the feds. For the record, he doesn’t much like brussel sprouts, but says that doesn’t mean no one else should eat them. But really, why would you want to?

Immigration Minister John McCallum has confirmed several Immigration and Refugee Board members and a citizenship judge granted future controversial appointments by former Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s government. As our Elizabeth Thompson reports, McCallum said he has examined the appointments and is prepared to accept them, despite how they came to be.

When it comes to seeing the financial rubber hit the road for infrastructure projects, it can be slow going and snarled in red tape. Amid pressure from some big city mayors, federal Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi says the government is looking to cut out as much of that as possible so that cash can find its way to cities to help them fix and build public transit, roads and bridges. Jordan Press has more.

Here and there:
  • Prime Minister Justin Trudeau meets with Big City Mayors and FCM president Raymond Louis and CEO Brock Carlton.
  • The Canadian Media Production Association hosts the Prime Time conference.
  • Statistics Canada releases the labour force survey for January (early lock-up) and the Canadian international merchandise trade figures for December.
  • Indigenous and Northern Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett and Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould hold a media availability following their meeting with family members and loved ones of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.
  • Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr speaks to the Calgary Chamber of Commerce.
  • Federal, provincial and territorial social services ministers hold a media availability at the conclusion of a two-day meeting in Edmonton.
  • A lawyer for former Quebec lieutenant-governor Lise Thibault appears in court as his appeal of her conviction on fraud charges gets going.

It was the last debate before heading into the New Hampshire primary and both Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders were ready to rumble. More intense, with voices raised, the candidates were particularly fierce last night, particularly when it came to whether the party should be working towards its liberal aspirations or set its sights on the achievable. Things were also more personal. For his part, Sanders kept coming back round to Clinton’s ties to Wall Street and what that means. On Twitter, it struck some as a mom and dad kind of racket. Coming on the heels of a slim victory in Iowa, the Clinton camp is not expecting to win on the 9th and polls are showing she won’t.

Primaries and polls aside, there can be no debate over who has the most expressive eyeballs in all of this.

In the Republican camp, Carly Fiorina didn’t make the cut to appear at this weekend's debate on ABC, despite calls from several prominent Republicans who wanted her on the New Hampshire stage.

Joe Biden has become the first vice president in history to join Facebook….with his Ray-Bans in tow.

As Canada gets set to reveal its new role in the mission to combat the Islamic State, Saudi Arabia is offering to send thousands of special forces ground troops to Syria for the first time, working alongside Turkey. Both want to see President Bashar al-Assad removed and don’t see it happening through political channels. Meanwhile, Turkish officials are denying they have any plans to invade northern Syria.

In Featured Opinion this morning:
  • Alberta's current economic downturn can be blamed on a lot of things: the Saudis scuttling the competition, the narrow-margin economics of oilsands bitumen — the brutal facts of life when you're selling a landlocked resource product on a global market. Or you could just blame it on Trudeau's choice of words at Davos — that works too, if you're mad enough.
  • What you seldom hear, says Michael Harris, is any acknowledgement that the energy industry itself shares much of the blame for Canada's failure to get a pipeline built over the Harper decade — a failure due at least in part to the industry's cocky indifference to the politics of climate change.
  • And while it may not be fair to blame Trudeau for Alberta's woes, Tasha Kheiriddin points out that the PM won't have an out when it comes to the Energy East project: Approving the pipeline is a cabinet responsibility, no matter how much he tweaks the NEB process.
  • It's been a while since we've given you a thumping great think piece on the political process — so here it is. Maryantonett Flumian, president of the Institute on Governance, takes a sweeping look at all of the Trudeau government's commitments to open up the business of government — to make it more transparent, more democratic, more fair — and tracks how well it's doing so far.

And finally this morning, it turns out Ted Cruz can make a funny. We give you the word of the day: Trumpertantrum.

With that, have yourself a non-tantrumatic day.

International
National
Atlantic
Prairies
Alberta
British Columbia

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
We shouldn't give AB a cent unless it is under the condition of creating a PST and actually taxing income in a not retarded way.

Reference to infrastructure injection briefly discussed between 9 pages of fat chat.

Math You fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 5, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Math You posted:

We shouldn't give AB a cent unless it is under the condition of creating a PST and actually taxing income in a not retarded way.

Reference to infrastructure injection briefly discussed between 9 pages of fat chat.

We are moving toward progressive income taxation, although there's obviously more to be done. I'm not sure why you'd then favour introducing an inherently regressive tax like an HST, but I'm quite sure it's a bad idea.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea for how much I hate Alberta and would be perfectly happy to let them flounder in poverty like the big pile of dumb assholes they are and then laugh at them for receiving equalization payments all the while, that doesn't mean they should adopt a lovely regressive sales tax just because all the other provinces have one.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TIME TO BUY THINGS IN USD AGAIN AND ONLY PAY A 28% PREMIUM

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Speaking of sales tax, Manitoba Liberal leader said she would invest the 1% increase from PST from a few years ago into infrastructure awhile ago. Yesterday she clarified and said that includes social and cultural infrastructure.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/2016/02/04/manitoba-liberals-would-invest-in-arts-and-culture-.html

If I play clown music anytime of the 3 canidates in this election open their mouth it might make it bearable.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

PT6A posted:

We are moving toward progressive income taxation, although there's obviously more to be done. I'm not sure why you'd then favour introducing an inherently regressive tax like an HST, but I'm quite sure it's a bad idea.

Fair. However I was speaking more to the point that there is a poo poo ton of revenue that they need to be collecting when times are good so they aren't immediately hosed every time resources take a hit.

"Hey bro I was too busy buying trucks to save a dime. HELP ME OUT"
- Residents of Alberta
- Also government of Alberta

The idea that Conservatives can still march around with the "We arent gonna tax you. Why would we tax you and pay a bunch of useless fatcat public servants when you know how to manage your household finances so well?" message is loving ridiculous.

Someone more creative (and generally more useful) than me troll social media for truck nut hicks who shared similar clips and are now begging for assistance and make funnies.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

From a purely selfish personal perspective I suspect I and people like me are somewhat better off under Liberals than Conservatives. But if you're not in Trudeau's "middle class" or directly employed in a handful of industries then chances are that your quality of living doesn't change much at all regardless of which party is running things. That, to me, is a problem. If political parties can't significantly improve regular people's situations at a time like this then what good are they?

I definitely agree with that (oh boy our discussions are so exciting us quoting and agreeing with each other :v: ) but I will say that I don't think I can ever really emphasize how much damage Stephen Harper did to undermine research institutions in this country, while the Liberals have already allowed places like Library Archives Canada to start rebuilding its institutional knowledge. At the same time, I doubt the Liberals will restore the funding provided to local archives across the country that the Conservatives cut, so we're stuck in this perpetual cycle of a fighting retreat, voting in a government that will restore some cuts, but never take the next step and work on expanding good institutions and services that was the hallmark of government policy in the early post-war years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Math You posted:

Fair. However I was speaking more to the point that there is a poo poo ton of revenue that they need to be collecting when times are good so they aren't immediately hosed every time resources take a hit.

"Hey bro I was too busy buying trucks to save a dime. HELP ME OUT"
- Residents of Alberta
- Also government of Alberta

The idea that Conservatives can still march around with the "We arent gonna tax you. Why would we tax you and pay a bunch of useless fatcat public servants when you know how to manage your household finances so well?" message is loving ridiculous.

Someone more creative (and generally more useful) than me troll social media for truck nut hicks who shared similar clips and are now begging for assistance and make funnies.

Agreed, but recall that the people of Alberta did, in fact, vote for a new government that promised to do exactly that. They haven't presided over a "good time" yet, but I'd like to think they'd behave more responsibly than the PCs.

As stated, I have no sympathy for all the people who were making huge amounts of money and pissed it all away before getting fired. If they want to kill themselves, I'm all in favour of Canadian-manufactured suicide booths being installed. We can stimulate manufacturing and get rid of a lot of useless whiny fucks all at the same time.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

The Liberal government will lay out its new role in the U.S.-led war against Islamic State next week that will include additional Special Forces, a non-combat air component and participation in an enlarged training mission, sources say.

The long-awaited announcement will be made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau before Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan attends a NATO ministerial meeting in Brussels next Wednesday and Thursday, where the battle to defeat Islamic State militants will be a key topic.

[...]

The federal cabinet met Tuesday with General Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff, to put the final touches on the government’s military and diplomatic response, which will include a substantial humanitarian package for the region.

Sources say Canadian Special Forces are expected to continue training Kurdish militia, and the number of trainers will more than double to about 150. CF-18s will be pulled out, but two CP-140 Aurora reconnaissance aircraft and a CC-150 aerial refuelling plane are expected to stay in place.

Canada is also expected to participate in a proposed NATO-led training mission that will set up shop in military camps in Jordan, Turkey and possibly Lebanon.

One proposal was for Canada to provide an army battalion.

“How they structure that battalion will determine the size. It could be anywhere between 500 to 1,000, but it is a pretty wide window,” a military source said. “It is not like going into Syria or Iraq and it is very, very low-risk for the government.”

[...]

The Americans privately pressed the Liberals to keep the fighter jets in the air campaign, citing their high regard for the skills of Canadian pilots, sources say.

But Mr. Trudeau would not relent on his election pledge to end Canada’s bombing mission.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-to-expand-military-mission-against-islamic-state/article28588558/

Holding firm on withdrawing the planes while doubling (or more!) the on-the-ground presence is some impressive hair splitting :allears:

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 5, 2016

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HookShot posted:

The USD is actually more like 39% more valuable than the CAD right now at 0.72.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

I wonder if it'll teach parity again in my lifetime. Probably the day before I die, just out of spite.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm rather surprised by that announcement from DND. It's a smart idea, use the SF guys to train the locals in tactics other than "pull trigger, scream allahuackbar" to make them effective against guys who are using the same tactics.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MA-Horus posted:

I'm rather surprised by that announcement from DND. It's a smart idea, use the SF guys to train the locals in tactics other than "pull trigger, scream allahuackbar" to make them effective against guys who are using the same tactics.

Yeah this seems like the model a lot of people have wanted the CAF to adopt.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Trees and Squids posted:

The USD is actually more like 39% more valuable than the CAD right now at 0.72.

It was like 5am when I posted this and couldn't be hosed doing the math the right way so I just wrote a number and hoped it was right.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

MA-Horus posted:

While I have trouble getting all that upset about giving people assistance in fighting ISIS, I also can't help but think that we've just switched from accidentally bombing civilians to accidentally training the death squads that will be terrorizing them in a couple years.

The US led international coalitions we're participating in don't have the best interests of the region in mind and while there's always going to be some compelling human rights justification for intervening *just this time* at the end of the day the result always seems to be a catastrophe. And that's without even going into the hypocrisy of condemning ISIS while sending military equipment to Saudi Arabia.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Helsing posted:

While I have trouble getting all that upset about giving people assistance in fighting ISIS, I also can't help but think that we've just switched from accidentally bombing civilians to accidentally training the death squads that will be terrorizing them in a couple years.

If I said "At least we weren't arming them with tanks and missiles and firearms just so they can drop them at the feet of whatever FOTM terrorist force makes a loud noise and scares them all away" would that make you feel better? Cause it makes me feel better.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mother-canada-parks-canada-1.3435581?cmp=rss

The Motherland Calls got cancelled which is good news.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

The is probably the least bad option if we're dedicated to keeping part of our national anatomy inserted in this bees nest.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, Minister Duclos is saying the Government is eyeing Mincome

T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!

Finally, now I can quit my well paying job and just sit around all day being poor on taxpayer dime.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Who are we training exactly? The Iraqi Kurds? The Syrian Kurds? The Turkish Kurds? :v: The Iranian Kurds that can get training in Iraq? :aaaaa:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Listen, all you need to know is that we're training the Good Guys to kill the Bad Guys, citizen.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

The US led international coalitions we're participating in don't have the best interests of the region in mind and while there's always going to be some compelling human rights justification for intervening *just this time* at the end of the day the result always seems to be a catastrophe. And that's without even going into the hypocrisy of condemning ISIS while sending military equipment to Saudi Arabia.

This is the problem, You can't support a side in this conflict without causing problems with their proxy sponsor. Whoever we train will inevitably end up fighting other parties down the road. The only reason we are even bothering with training is to save face with our allies who have likely asked us to contribute something within our capacity to provide.

This region sucks, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/lululemon-founder-in-centre-of-controversy-again/article28587856/

quote:

Lululemon founder Chip Wilson has sparked another controversy, this time with a remark that seemed to disparage Jewish people.

In an interview with The New York Times about his legacy, charity, and Kit and Ace, his family’s upscale-casual clothing brand, the Vancouver billionaire scolded reporter Katherine Rosman for arriving 15 minutes late. Trying to defuse the situation, the company’s publicist volunteered that she can be casually late when meeting friends.

“Jewish Standard Time,” Mr. Wilson said, jumping in. “It’s showing you didn’t respect your friends’ time.”

:lol: