Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I know I am a crazy person, but has anyone noticed a recent difference in the texture and flavor of KO skinless and boneless 'dines?

I swear they are firmer and have a meatier taste which at first reminded me of mackerel

AND.... the pull tab is now on the CORNER of the can instead of the center of the edge

I fear change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Ate tinned mussels for the first time. Lightly smoked in olive oil, from Trader Joe’s. Ate with toothpicks and sourdough, even got my 8&6 yr olds in on it. Will buy again. Any comments on the dines?

Also picked up a can of white anchovies in olive oil for only 3.29, saving those bad boys for a special occasion (read drunk and want salt.)

Sadly the $4 6 pack of Pilsner house brand was so bad I only drank half a can and poured the rest out. Far too sweet, will not buy again. And I am someone that genuinely enjoys steel reserve.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
The TJs mussels are good. I just had a can in some crab ramen. I’m probably going to toss a can into some pasta with pesto next week.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

New pickups from La Bouffe today. I'll probably eat these later this week.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That box art on the left is baller af.

Trip Report!

This was my most anticipated from the tinfish September package, and overall a slight disappointment -- expectations were high. I opened the tin to this:

Just brimming with oil. Now you may be asking yourself "Why it's spicy oil, the very thing you would be excited about!" But friends it is not spicy. It's like if somebody left some black pepper in olive oil. That said it does have some building piperine heat but it needed hot sauce to make it go.

You can also see the fish is kinda just tossed around and looks rugged, but the flesh was nice and super oily. Very obvious spines (which I love), but overall less fish than oil by volume I'd say.

The most exciting part for me was the pickles, which I had little idea what to expect of. The tin includes one (1) wavy-cut carrot, one (1) wavy-cut cuke, and a lil chunk of chili pepper. None of them had much texture (as you would expect from a vegetable cooked at least three times), but there was a slight tang that would have been a bright spot if I was eating them without hot sauce.

I made a little smorgasbord with pistachios, seed crackers and a little piece of cheddar and made for a good snack.

Overall I would give my experience 4 (and the tin itself 3) out of five dines.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
YEAH BUDDY

Was at the co op fish counter this week and there's the mackerel. I bought one cause yall know how we do. $1.40!

Rinsed, dried, oiled, grilled

Ate it with some sriracha aioli

Sorry the images are so big, but figured I'd want yall to see that grilled, crunchy goodness.

Would definitely do this again. Flesh was meaty and rich, not fishy, most of the skin was crispy and the little bones were crunchy and the large ones easily avoided

naem
May 29, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/charlesv/status/1452948320754839558

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

but i want this calendar for myself :cry:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's an awesome gift idea. Unfortunately I'm the only one in my life who'd appreciate it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
On the 25th is it just a note saying you now have gout?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

That's an awesome gift idea. Unfortunately I'm the only one in my life who'd appreciate it.

:same: :sigh:

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Some canned fish available in Mexico.. Haven't found the non-Tuna selection to be great. In an area famous for fishing I guess it's weird to want canned sardines so much but :c00lbert:

^ Not offensive tasting but not terribly flavorful either. Chili in the can with bad oil but no real heat or chili taste.

^ These are good. Big fishies but with nice flavor. Probably going to be my mainstay while living here.

A big piece of trout in vinegar. Was worried the vinegar flavor would dominate but it doesn't at all. Really flavorful and great in salads.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/uMkuRve.mp4

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

This is Mission Impossible remake is looking good.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

kazr posted:

New 'dines at Costco, soy sauce based from Japan. Highly recommended

All the Japanese canned fish I've had are good, my local Asian Mart has Welpac broiled saury and mackerel for under $2 so I'm stocking up. The saury is very sardine-ish, the mackerel is good too.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

broiled, huh?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Myron Baloney posted:

All the Japanese canned fish I've had are good, my local Asian Mart has Welpac broiled saury and mackerel for under $2 so I'm stocking up. The saury is very sardine-ish, the mackerel is good too.

I got a selection of the japanese dines one time and they were all oddly sweet which threw me off, and the bones were as bony as any sardines I've ever eaten

I think that brand of mackerel was the best of the batch

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Broiled gets a bad rap. A good gas oven broiling is a great way to cook seafood btw. Pretty close to a good charcoal grilling in outcomes.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Broiled gets a bad rap. A good gas oven broiling is a great way to cook seafood btw. Pretty close to a good charcoal grilling in outcomes.

fersher just not used to it in a tin. wanna try.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

poverty goat posted:

I got a selection of the japanese dines one time and they were all oddly sweet which threw me off, and the bones were as bony as any sardines I've ever eaten

I think that brand of mackerel was the best of the batch

I think I had something similar. Sweet mackerel was unexpected and turned me off to tinned stuff for a while.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

so the ingredients for tiger sauce list fish sauce and there's a notice that it contains anchovies. maybe when charlie sheen was talking about what gives him his power and he said tiger's blood maybe he meant to say tiger sauce? specifically the fish sauce component of tiger sauce

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nope just cocaine tincture and red food coloring, sorry

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Yeah I like the texture of canned fish that are broiled or fried before canning, it firms them up by lowering the moisture content, frying more so than broiling. Some kinds like the Chinese canned dace or mackerel end up really dried out but I think they're usually chopped fine as a cooking ingredient anyway. I like canned dace fried rice but you'd better like the flavor of five-spice if you make it.

All of the Japanese soy/miso sauced canned fish I've tried have the sweet/savory kind of tilted towards the sweet, I guess that's what sells in Japan.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I live in Wisconsin and a bunch of places know how to deep fry seafood, maybe 1 in 50 can broil without wrecking it. When it's done right with fresh seafood it's beautiful.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 7, 2021

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
Sardines. Are they really caught in the wild? They taste more like grain-fed farmed in mass. They're about as un-seafood as seafood gets.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Okay what's the fish that tastes the most like seafood to you then?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I only eat farm raised sardines. I’m hungry.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

fcc compliant bob posted:

Sardines. Are they really caught in the wild? They taste more like grain-fed farmed in mass. They're about as un-seafood as seafood gets.

Impossible to farm them. At least I’ve never heard of them being farmed at a commercial level. They are filter feeders and a netted enclosure wouldn’t give them enough room to roam.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I had a "sardine carpaccio" at a japanese restaurant the other day and it blew me away. Fresh sardines in some kind of light and spicy vinegar. Very hard to explain but a lot like a less aggressive pickled mackerel.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

seasons anchovies violently STUFFED into kalamata olives and aggressively DIPPED into balsamic vinegar

hella good yo

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

both very good not great. matiz oddly bony for a tinned mackerel and more than an once smaller than im used to, patagonia has onion, garlic, and red bell pepper in addition to (a lot) of paprika

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

pick this up today. man that shrinkflation is really hitting home

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's weight, not mass, and each peppercorn is filled with helium. Eazy peazy walla

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
testinmg

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
hello 'dines and 'tines dadchat

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Lookit this fancy goon with a paper towel, thinking they are above licking the sardine juices off their grubby fingers.

naem
May 29, 2011

:agreed:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Also: eating seated at a table. LA DEE FREAKIN DAH TOO GOOD TO EAT OVER THE SINK?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ooh cherry peppers are a good idea