Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

You could make this exact post about the original ff7

You also, and I feel like I need to stress this, can make it about pretty much any game on the market.

Like look at any big AAA title. You're not going to see anything from later than the midgame in marketing for a wide variety of reasons, unless it's explicitly something designed to not really have that. (Fighting games or so-on.) Even in remakes most of the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Merilan posted:

Thanks for this, I didn't know what SG was like at all. Is the battle system just still SaGa? I enjoy SaGa's battle system so if it at the very least hits that mark I'll probably have a blast with it.

The battle system is largely based around controlling where you and the enemies are in the move order for each round. If you can take out an enemy in the turn order and bring two or more of your own guys together you can do a combo move, same with the enemy, so killing an enemy or losing a dude tends to make things landslide in one direction or the other.

There's also a lot of resource management as far as splitting a single pool of action points across your party each round, and trying to take out or lock down enemies that are using a bunch of points from the enemy pool. There are also reaction/counter commands that target specific actions so you and your enemies can lay traps for each other and stuff.

It gets pretty nuts but I've seen people play it well and when you do it's a really good system for rewarding mastery.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

You also, and I feel like I need to stress this, can make it about pretty much any game on the market.

Like look at any big AAA title. You're not going to see anything from later than the midgame in marketing for a wide variety of reasons, unless it's explicitly something designed to not really have that. (Fighting games or so-on.) Even in remakes most of the time!

Even the FF8 remastered reveal trailer has footage from the Squall Dies scenes which is a solid halfway point in the story

e: also you can see an absurd difference in the amount of info and readiness to really show off the game between the FF7 presentation and say, the Doom Eternal presentation which was roughly the same amount of time

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 12, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Even the FF8 remastered reveal trailer has footage from the Squall Dies scenes which is a solid halfway point in the story

No it isn't. It's literally the end of Disc 1.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

e: also you can see an absurd difference in the amount of info and readiness to really show off the game between the FF7 presentation and say, the Doom Eternal presentation which was roughly the same amount of time

What? Doom Eternal's presentation showed off a bunch of stuff they've already shown already followed by "We'll tell you more at DoomCon." Doom Eternal is also coming out in 5 months. FFVII is coming out in 9 months. They're at different parts of their marketing cycle. If you're going to say "Well, that's only a few months" then take a look at the significant difference in marketing from month to month for most games.

This is also why delays gently caress things up so bad because they have specific marketing goals to hit and if a sudden delay hits they're stuck holding the bag. You can see that with FFXV where the last minute delay absolutely turfed the marketing campaign they had going if you want a S-E example.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 12, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean considering how the fans reacted focusing on Tifa was the correct move

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. It's literally the end of Disc 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Dude, are you loving citing a speedrun?

Hint: It's the halfway point there because that is the most linear part of the game and a speedrun, by its very nature, skips optional content and anything else it can.

Edit: Haha, I looked this poo poo up: "Live marathon run of FF8 from SGDQ 2012. This is part 1 of 2. Played on PSN version. "

So just to be clear here: Your estimate of FF8's length was based off A) A speedrun B) An incomplete video of that speedrun you didn't even watch because at 6 hours it doesn't actually end anywhere near the final boss.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 12, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

comparing FF8 remastered to FF7R is a real weird take as well given uh the focus on the former is on the highly revamped 3D models

like you could at least point out Cerberus is in the trailer and he's a lategame disc 2 boss but that'd still not really mean anything

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

You're so loving stupid lmao.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

... Dude, are you loving citing a speedrun?

Hint: It's the halfway point there because that is the most linear part of the game and a speedrun, by its very nature, skips optional content and anything else it can.

Yeah. Skips the optional content. Almost like a speedrun distills the game down to just the story components. Which is why I said, you know, halfway point of the story, and not halfway point of the game. Most people generally consider Aeris dying to be around the halfway point of the story, instead of the first fifth because you need to spend twenty hours breeding chocobos.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean considering how the fans reacted focusing on Tifa was the correct move

On the one hand, I get it. A key point in marketing a remake is being able to say "Look! All your friends are here!". Just look at Resident Evil 2. The trailers always frontloaded the more familiar stuff to make the new features easier for purists to swallow. So, yeah, focusing on Tifa was a smart move by Squeenix.

But man. People really lost their minds over the news that Tifa was in Final Fantasy 7. Was there some big rumor floating around that she would be cut out? Did people see that teaser a few months ago and think "Well, they only showed Cloud, Barret, and Aeris so I guess they're the only characters in the game now"?

The part that caught my attention was Sephiroth popping up in what looked like an alleyway. That's new, right? I don't remember that happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah. Skips the optional content. Almost like a speedrun distills the game down to just the story components. Which is why I said, you know, halfway point of the story, and not halfway point of the game. Most people generally consider Aeris dying to be around the halfway point of the story, instead of the first fifth because you need to spend twenty hours breeding chocobos.

Except as I pointed out, that's a PART 1 of 2 video. It isn't a speedrun of the entire game.

The entire speedrun adds another 5 hours on top of that. So even with your "just the bare bones" plot, that means it is... the first fourth of the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tifa appearing is good because people are drawing fanart of tifa and aerith dating

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
free my loving post

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Crowetron posted:

On the one hand, I get it. A key point in marketing a remake is being able to say "Look! All your friends are here!". Just look at Resident Evil 2. The trailers always frontloaded the more familiar stuff to make the new features easier for purists to swallow. So, yeah, focusing on Tifa was a smart move by Squeenix.

But man. People really lost their minds over the news that Tifa was in Final Fantasy 7. Was there some big rumor floating around that she would be cut out? Did people see that teaser a few months ago and think "Well, they only showed Cloud, Barret, and Aeris so I guess they're the only characters in the game now"?

The part that caught my attention was Sephiroth popping up in what looked like an alleyway. That's new, right? I don't remember that happening.

speaking of RE2 so much of the FF7 Remake reminds me of REmake2. There's just something about Midgar's new urban environments which are frequently on fire or wet from pipeline leaks and the way the characters look that really remind me of each other. You could tell me Aeris is Claire's sister and I'd believe it.

Which is a cute coincidence since RE2 and FF7 were also the big games I remember from 1997 too

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Crowetron posted:

the first time you saw sephiroth in the original (outside of the kalm flashback) was on the ship between junon and costa del sol, and even then he wasn't feeling chatty

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

witch.tv

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Merilan posted:

speaking of RE2 so much of the FF7 Remake reminds me of REmake2. There's just something about Midgar's new urban environments which are frequently on fire or wet from pipeline leaks and the way the characters look that really remind me of each other. You could tell me Aeris is Claire's sister and I'd believe it.

Which is a cute coincidence since RE2 and FF7 were also the big games I remember from 1997 too

Actually a fun thing to point out:

Resident Evil 2 remake was in production for years too. They announced it at E3 2018 with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuWiKXdkdpk and the release date of the 25th of January.

So they released it with less descriptions and a playable demo of opening segment of the game on the show room floor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The difference is your entire playerbase ALREADY KNOWS what happens in the mid/endgame. And has a long history of recognizing bullshit. Throwing the same ten minutes of basic gameplay and the Mako reactor attack for the umpteenth time simply will not fly.

DOOM Eternal is not a good comparisom either, as it has shown snippets of new content every time it's appeared and they've each been a vertical slice of a much simpler game than FFVIIR. Alt-fire weapons. Shoulder launcher. Heaven. Bosses with other demonic energy weapons. All piecemealed out over the last year or so and indicative of a fairly complete project on track for release.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also that alleyway scene was dumb as hell, keeping sephiroth mostly unseen for the entire first part of the game is part of what made him so impactful

you're just tooling around shinra hq, you get captured, and then you peek outside your cell to find that the place is a slashed-up abbatoir, the background music's changed to a funeral march and the president's been impaled to his desk by a sword big enough to pole-vault on

the first leg of your journey to find the guy involves your party coming across a 30-foot snake kebabed on a broken tree and they all go "uhhhh i guess we're on the right track" while trying not to piss themselves

having him just turn up to poo poo-talk cloud one on one is way too small-scale

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 12, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Motto posted:

Anybody know anything about Romancing SaGa3 and Scarlet Grace? I've seen people excited over their localization resurfacing and got interested, but only have vague knowledge of the series.

SaGa is a jrpg series with weird mechanics and experimental concepts. Pick a protagonist and explore, finding sidequests and stuff and learning new moves. Romancing SaGa 3 has never been officially localized and the only existing fan translation is very questionable/broken. It's a sort-of-traditional 16-bit-era JRPG except it's completely open and based almost entirely on doing sidequests and exploration. It's good! Scarlet Grace Ambition is the expanded HD version of a Vita game that also was never localized and is more about little vignettes and combat, but I don't know that about it because honestly there's just not much coverage of it even from Japanese sources. This is exciting because even the most normal of SaGa games are loving weird so it's sure to at least be interesting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Aeris is gonna have visions of her own impending death within an hour of recruiting her I bet

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4RDnHzOSqE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Aeris is gonna have visions of her own impending death within an hour of recruiting her I bet

Minutes, tops.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference is your entire playerbase ALREADY KNOWS what happens in the mid/endgame. And has a long history of recognizing bullshit. Throwing the same ten minutes of basic gameplay and the Mako reactor attack for the umpteenth time simply will not fly.

Except they also showed other boss fights and segments too and again they are 9 months away from release.

I used RE2 as an example above but how about Devil May Cry V? Announced at E3 2018 with a trailer that only showed Nero and a brief glimpse of Dante with nothing at all from V. They introduced more things piecemeal over the year at different conferences (including us not getting to really see V in action until December.

You're also ignoring the fact that "the audience knows what happens" doesn't necessarily mean "The audience knows what happens in the remake." They know the exact plot beats but there are obviously going to be new elements and twists. Like the Robot Scorpion Fight is an entirely different fight that throws multiple phases at you. Showing off what is new and different is also part of marketing a remake. (SEE AGAIN: RE2.)

Hell, with RE2 they didn't even confirm that the game had a new game +/B Scenario until the game was out despite that being part of the original.

And again:. The game is coming out in 9 months, including at least one major conference (TGS) during which they have to keep audience interest and hype. They are not going to blow literally everything even if the audience knows it is there because as Tifa showed "knowing it is there" isn't the same as it being hyped up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 12, 2019

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

also that alleyway scene was dumb as hell, keeping sephiroth mostly unseen for the entire first part of the game is part of what made him so impactful

you're just tooling around shinra mansion, you get captured, and then you peek outside your cell to find that the place is a slashed-up abbatoir, the background music's changed to a funeral march and the president's been impaled to his desk by a sword big enough to pole-vault on

the first leg of your journey to find the guy involves your party coming across a 30-foot snake kebabed on a broken tree and they all go "uhhhh i guess we're on the right track" while trying not to piss themselves

having him just turn up to poo poo-talk cloud one on one is way too small-scale

That's a good point. It caught my attention in the trailer not because it was Sephiroth, but because it was new. And I'm still trying to decide if adding new stuff is a good sign or not. Again, it worked for RE2. But I don't know how much faith I have in SquareEnix's writing guys these days.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Crowetron posted:

That's a good point. It caught my attention in the trailer not because it was Sephiroth, but because it was new. And I'm still trying to decide if adding new stuff is a good sign or not. Again, it worked for RE2. But I don't know how much faith I have in SquareEnix's writing guys these days.

reminder that the last time kazushige nojima re-visited one of his old properties, it resulted in the infamous FFX audio novel

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do think people are letting the games weird development cycle cloud their judgement.

It’s not like showing you late game stuff really matters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowetron posted:

To be honest you kinda can't play Sephiroth the same way. He is a known quantity to almost every gamer in some form. The best you can do is recontextualize him.

RE2 (sorry to keep coming back to it but it was the most successful remake of a game from that era in ages) knows this so it never really tried. With Chief Irons it didn't even wave its hand at the idea he might be anything but an antagonist. When it puts you in control of Ada she is instantly pulling out spy gadgets. Mr. X shows up in the first part of the game and there are a number of scares/twists designed entirely to surprise people who knew the original. They didn't change the plot but they at least tried to keep it relatively fresh for people who already knew it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not like showing you late game stuff really matters.

but there might be spoilers

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the remake will pull a surprise twist and cloud will die instead

actually that would be a top tier subversion

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Ka0 posted:

I found a busted up copy of sigma star saga for $40. Complete mind you, but then I remember I basically gave my mint copy away for peanuts. If any of y'all are thinking on selling your stuff because you think you need money, please don't. Hoard these things like gold because ebay is a complete shithole and goddamn do I regret having sold half of my PS2 jrpgs.

I let my cousins keep my PS1 and N64 collections while I was on a year long deployment and they traded in the PSX Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle 64 for Jak and Daxter and Time Splitters 2.

Edit: Also its 2019 and I am arguing on the internet again about Final Fantasy 7 20 years later. What the poo poo is wrong with this time line

waah fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest you kinda can't play Sephiroth the same way. He is a known quantity to almost every gamer in some form. The best you can do is recontextualize him.

RE2 (sorry to keep coming back to it but it was the most successful remake of a game from that era in ages) knows this so it never really tried. With Chief Irons it didn't even wave its hand at the idea he might be anything but an antagonist. When it puts you in control of Ada she is instantly pulling out spy gadgets. Mr. X shows up in the first part of the game and there are a number of scares/twists designed entirely to surprise people who knew the original. They didn't change the plot but they at least tried to keep it relatively fresh for people who already knew it.

Sure, but even though RE2 didn't change the narrative in huge ways, it played around with characterizations in ways that ended up working. Deciding to lean heavily into Irons being a lunatic, for instance, isn't surprising but it is done well. And Capcom already showed it was willing to try new things with RE7 (unless you're a fan of their fighting games, sorry fellas).

I'm not concerned that the new content will be present, I'm concerned that it will be...bad, for lack of a better word. Like Genesis bad.

Oxxidation posted:

reminder that the last time kazushige nojima re-visited one of his old properties, it resulted in the infamous FFX audio novel

Basically, this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

the remake will pull a surprise twist and cloud will die instead

actually that would be a top tier subversion

Honestly I'd be completely down for the remake going full on Rebuild of Evangelion and subverting the poo poo out of things.

Cloud dies in the Temple of the Ancients and it's up to Aerith and Tifa to save the day.

Crowetron posted:

I'm not concerned that the new content will be present, I'm concerned that it will be...bad, for lack of a better word. Like Genesis bad.

Well, that's a completely valid concern. I think they'll probably play with a light touch if just because they know loving this up would be Bad but we'll see.

My biggest concern is more that they lean into the "headcanon" versions of characters. (Tifa is spunkier, Aerith is more waifu just in the trailers, but those could be misleading.) Cloud at least is snarky instead of dour as hell so that's a plus.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 12, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah. Skips the optional content. Almost like a speedrun distills the game down to just the story components.
wow no

a speed run distills the game down to the parts that are absolutely required for completing it and any optional objectives the runner has decided on
it'll be going through the mandatory plot stuff as fast as humanly possible and skipping whatever it can

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I'd be completely down for the remake going full on Rebuild of Evangelion and subverting the poo poo out of things.

Cloud dies in the Temple of the Ancients and it's up to Aerith and Tifa to save the day.

Well, that's a completely valid concern. I think they'll probably play with a light touch if just because they know loving this up would be Bad but we'll see.

I want FF7-2 with dress spheres and FF7-3 Cloud Returns but it's literally just FF XIII-3 Lighting Returns with a reskin of Cloud in blonde wig and dress.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Honestly, if they add a scene at the end where Barrett meets Reeve and shoots him in the face for threatening Marlene, they can do whatever else they want and I'll still be happy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
aerith lives and aerith x tifa becomes canon

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sephiroth kills Cloud instead and Tifa becomes leader like in that one section of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
wouldn't a speedrun of valkyrie profile distill the game down to literally everything except the important story components