Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Darn, I only have Hulk at 1g, 4r, 0b right now. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh my goodness, got the free Rage token for 300 points, and I actually got a Hulk! I think that might be the first time that's happened actually.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Pizza Dog, wake up. A black hulk cover is pretty sweet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Man, I can't wait to get crabbed. I just rocketed straight to 600+ points. (I only got a poor Cap blue for my token :( )
Good loving luck winning with two of the stages as Jungle and Desert motherfuckers.

Cascades galore. :supaburn:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 17, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Me and Poops Magee are out of town until Monday. Sorry kids.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hey, I got high enough in the tournament to get my own Hulk cover. My Hulk is pretty good, so maybe I'll be able to place in the Hulk tournament.

You can yell at me for underperforming in the Venom stuff, though. That's like pulling teeth.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

starkebn posted:

The collection aspect of the game is getting worse with more and more new heroes but no mechanic for getting the covers you need, levelling is getting harder with lower and lower ISO rewards for playing stages (I played multiple stages in Venom heroic for 15+ times without getting all the rewards).

I'm not sure the bejewelled gameplay can hold me on it's own if things keep going in this direction for much longer.

I'm feeling the same way. Pretty much every change the devs have made during the last couple of months have been about slowing the progress a player can make without whaling it up.

THe ISO reward nerf almost feels like the last straw for me personally. I've got several characters which are 20-30 levels before their current level caps. I've bought HP for cover slots with a few euros, but I'm not going to start paying just to level up my guys. At this point I'm only playing to grind out levels instead of expanding my roster and earning new characters, and it's not really fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've actually gotten back into it after finding a character combo that really mows down opponents. Grey Black Widow and Spidey. Spidey locks them down, and Grey Widow's green sniper rifle can drop entire teams in one or two shots, her purple generates green matches, and red to take out pesky timers. Games have been passing really fast since I switched to using these two.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

700 points in two hours. Would've been 800 if it weren't for a few class A teams that hit me.

The Desert + M. Storm really is easy(er) mode. I smacked one guy at least four or five times because he kept coming up and his roster said he wasn't very advanced. :toughguy:
It feels mean as all Hell, but gently caress you; I've got mine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My current thinking from playing the last few pvp events is that to score high, you really have to go all in before the last 24 hours or 8 hours, then as soon as it ticks over, take the 24hr / 8hr shield. It's definitely harder on the 8hr shield though. Obviously the cost of doing the 24 hr one is going to restrict it to rewards that you absolutely must have.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

To score high, you need to not be up against the whale teams from the MPQ forums.
My current bracket (refreshingly) doesn't have any of those fuckers from SHIELD, 5 Venoms, Scavengers, or the other bullshit alliances.

Also, I love how the alliance rewards can create a feedback loop of success. 500 Hero Points for first place? That's almost two 24 hour shields every time.
If you grind to first, it pays for itself, and you gain covers over and over again by repeating it for every tournament. God drat.
Admittedly that's the ideal scenario and won't happen all the time, but it's a brutally Darwinian thought experiment.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 17, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Human Torch. Murdered by flamethrower. :negative:

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Mister Macys posted:

Also, I love how the alliance rewards can create a feedback loop of success. 500 Hero Points for first place? That's almost two 24 hour shields every time.

Yeah, there's some nasty positive feedback in this game. I think they may have to do some redesign - the way the game is structured right now, it requires a large number of people who can't progress quickly in order for the rest of them to have fun. It's working right now because they're expanding but it may kill them in the long run.

The only reason I'm still playing is because my maxed-out Thor/Storm combo can reliably get the three-star PvP rewards - if I was stuck with the two-star rewards I'd probably be gradually dropping out of the game.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SynthOrange posted:

Human Torch. Murdered by flamethrower. :negative:

Haha, I said the exact same thing.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Is it me, or are the PVE events incredibly stingy with their 4 "rewards"? I play missions over and over only to get the 20 iso kick in the nuts most of the time. They could at least make it 50 iso.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

intangible posted:

Is it me, or are the PVE events incredibly stingy with their 4 "rewards"? I play missions over and over only to get the 20 iso kick in the nuts most of the time. They could at least make it 50 iso.

I think the rewards are tiered and not 25% for each. Empirically, it seems some missions are set up like 40/30/20/10 or something

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, if you have a good offensive team, it's faster to rack up cash by doing PvP at 70-170 iso per fight, plus rewards for every couple hundred points.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

intangible posted:

I think that after you win the first time you have a 50/50 chance of getting either the 20 iso or one of the remaining rewards.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Shroud posted:

I think that after you win the first time you have a 50/50 chance of getting either the 20 iso or one of the remaining rewards.

The I flipped "heads" 50 times in a row. There is no way it's 50/50.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah, if you have a good offensive team, it's faster to rack up cash by doing PvP at 70-170 iso per fight, plus rewards for every couple hundred points.

Plus lightning rounds you can just get up to 100 points for the iso, fight rewards, and standard token, and those happen quite frequently.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Any alliances have a spot open? I just started playing this & I'm enjoying it (even though I think I screwed up by tossing all my 1* dudes in favor of 2* dudes who I now can't get covers for). My PVP name is fishyb if you need that for an alliance invite.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I'm going to be cutting back how much I play but if there's an alliance close to a reward in heroic mode I've got ~22k points and can jump in.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Already have 5 Red Lazy Cap so I just aimed for easy heroic token & top 200 for both. :effort:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Joshlemagne posted:

I'm going to be cutting back how much I play but if there's an alliance close to a reward in heroic mode I've got ~22k points and can jump in.

Whoops! I had 25k in that mode too. I guess I should have mentioned that. I came in 6th I think, which feels like a good result for my first crack at an event.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thank god this lovely, lovely venom thing is over.

DrowningHarvey
Mar 24, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

Thank god this lovely, lovely venom thing is over.

Amen to that.

Also, Super Goons has a slot open. First come, first serve.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DrowningHarvey posted:

Amen to that.

Also, Super Goons has a slot open. First come, first serve.

Joined (fishyb)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ha, they added a daily ISO bonus based off of how many people in your alliance played that day. 25 per person.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I wonder if a max level Ares might be more threatening than a level 97 Grey Widow with only three green covers for this Hulk event. I think Window's green generating gives the utilitarian edge but Ares has more hit points and can do more damage with his green. I usually wait until my red is full before using Hulk's green anyway. Then again when the other team is stunned I could use anyone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Ha, they added a daily ISO bonus based off of how many people in your alliance played that day. 25 per person.

Better than nothing. I'll take what I can get.

gently caress that Venom PvE poo poo. Maybe now I can actually contribute again.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I must have had the right combination of characters because I was in the top 3 in our group for both events, which never happens.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
God, I really hope the lazy Daken rewards aren't behind an event as awful as that Venom one.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So AgentsofGOON failed to get the black cover for Hulk. Here is the public shaming of the particularly responsible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I dodged the shame bullet by quite a bit! I tried extra hard at the hard mode this time around and it was like pulling teeth to get the 19k or so I finally managed.

I promise high points for Hulk unless there's an emergency tomorrow.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

slightlyslow posted:

God, I really hope the lazy Daken rewards aren't behind an event as awful as that Venom one.

I'm gonna poo poo my pants if I don't get a Human Torch cover or two from the Hulk event. I got hosed when he first showed up by rubber banding, and Venom was even more painful without the required character.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Snazzy Frocks posted:

So AgentsofGOON failed to get the black cover for Hulk. Here is the public shaming of the particularly responsible.

I was #1 in the PVE event. Also, my Hulk is at 5 black. Also, my rating thing is permanently stuck in the whale zone so PVP sucks balls. Also, t:mad:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
300 pts is pretty much marginal effort that anyone should do for the ISO regardless. If everyone did at least that we'd be sitting pretty every tournament what with the few tryhards we have every go-around. I'll explain to you how to tank properly if you'd like :)

Sindri
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks to Zinglon's generosity, there's a 7th slot up for grabs in PoorGoons.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Spidey's profile shot in this game makes it look like he's clenching his teeth really hard or something.

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm gonna poo poo my pants if I don't get a Human Torch cover or two from the Hulk event.

I'm going to hold you to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

seravid posted:

I was #1 in the PVE event. Also, my Hulk is at 5 black. Also, my rating thing is permanently stuck in the whale zone so PVP sucks balls. Also, t:mad:

It took less than a day of lightning rounds tanking for my rating to go down from whale zone to maxed 2-stars, and after doing two rounds of it I'm now fighting almost all people with <level 50 characters in the Hulk PVP (that, and one guy with a maxed spidey and high level hulk that just doesn't seem to understand that taking revenge against someone 200 points below you just means he's going to attack you back). The next time lightning rounds come around, try to join in the first minute; save at least one seed team that has level 1-4 guys on it and use the others to build your rating up over 100. Then use the weakest team you can make to beat the wuss seed team you saved so that you're an easy kill and your points make you a tempting target. After you lose 10 or more defenses per lightning round for a bit things become much easier in PVP events.