Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I benched 5 reps of 285 on my 5/3/1 set last week. Started at ~245 this January. 5/3/1 has worked pretty well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
On the topic of high reps, the first week of Average to Savage is killing my rear end. I got 18 reps on the 15+ of bench and that wasn't too bad. It didn't even jack my shoulders up. But apparently I'm a LOT worse at high rep OHP, holding your breath the entire time doesn't work for that. The good thing is Nuckols recommends splitting the first two sets before the amrap, so for a 12 rep set, 6 reps, 30 second rest, 6 reps. Apparently it gives you just as good gains and lets you use better form/not die.

It should all work out pretty well in the end. The only issue with the 5x3@90 variation of 5/3/1 is it's not really great for conditioning or building up a base as AtS or regular BBB. Plus you are really supposed to be doing other work with 5/3/1 like the jumps and throws anyway but I ain't got time for all that, my job is my conditioning imo

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 29, 2018

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Gonna start 531. Hype

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

barkbell posted:

Gonna start 531. Hype

what accessory thingy are you gonna do? i was gonna do 5x10 of the main lift but then i realized everyone in the gym would hate me for hogging the equipment all day

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

hemale in pain posted:

what accessory thingy are you gonna do? i was gonna do 5x10 of the main lift but then i realized everyone in the gym would hate me for hogging the equipment all day

Embrace it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

hemale in pain posted:

i did some of that FSL stuff for 3x5 yesterday. I dunno if that's an official thing since there's like 400 variations also hog everything

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ive read three of wendlers books and i still dont know what the gently caress he is talking about half the time

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

if I've gained 10 lbs can I add that to my max squat?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Interesting question. Some people hang weights off them for pull ups, some are just fat. Either way the pull ups are harder to do that way.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
My lifetime goal is to be able to do a pull-up with my girlfriend on my back

I need to get very shredded and find a tiny girlfriend

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Due to schedule rotation I shouldn't be a heathen and deadlift today. Tuesday will be my day to ruin myself.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I recently had a thought, that people who work out can sort of be divided into 2 groups. Ones who work out as much they have motivation or time for, and ones who work out as much as they can while still being able to recover (probably following a program), or as much as whatever injuries they have at the moment allow. It's not a value judgement, just a thought on different perspectives.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
My suffering is endless

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

doverhog posted:

I recently had a thought, that people who work out can sort of be divided into 2 groups. Ones who work out as much they have motivation or time for, and ones who work out as much as they can while still being able to recover (probably following a program), or as much as whatever injuries they have at the moment allow. It's not a value judgement, just a thought on different perspectives.

that's gay

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Unless you

1) Train enough to be a full-time job
or
2) Have poo poo sleep, diet, or stress seriously impeding your ability to recover,

you're probably aren't "work[ing] out as much as [you] can while still being able to recover"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The only way your post isn't gay is if your second group is literally "professional athletes"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I didn't say which group I thought I was in. :) That's, like, outside the scope of the larger point.

There's a lot more to being a professional athlete than training hard, any idiot can train too hard if they have free time.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Everyone in this thread is in group one

doverhog
May 31, 2013

ok dude

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

doverhog posted:

sounds like forging elite fitness, but ok

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's a crossfit reference right, they apparently work harder than what they can recover from which is the worst possible option.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

feelix posted:

that's gay

As an afterthought, it's very gay, I fondly remembered sucking cock while writing the post.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

think less, lift more

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Deadlift for all accessory work

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I had a rather loose weekend diet wise and I’ve got the worst farts ever right now

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I definitely workout more than I can recover from.

I am a broken mess.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think I'm going to have to buy some new pants in the next couple of weeks. This slim fit poo poo that I was wearing in January all of a sudden takes a shoehorn to get into. And I'm not even big!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I shat myself today

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sludge Tank posted:

I shat myself today

So that was about a 10 RPE rep then?

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

Sludge Tank posted:

I shat myself today

to see if i still feel

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Wendler, Rippetoe, etc always talking about some dumb bullshit about a man has to be this or that and skinny jeans are not manly.

Vargatron posted:

I think I'm going to have to buy some new pants in the next couple of weeks. This slim fit poo poo that I was wearing in January all of a sudden takes a shoehorn to get into. And I'm not even big!

:q:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I got the "athletic cut" from Levis and they're still just skinny jeans on me.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Skinny jeans are relative

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sludge Tank posted:

I shat myself today

ham_sanitizer posted:

to see if i still feel

It ran all down my leg
And into my boot heel

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

bamhand posted:

I got the "athletic cut" from Levis and they're still just skinny jeans on me.

The 541s? I have two pairs of those in the same measurements, but different colors. One pair fit like skinny jeans, the other has much more room. Levi’s doesn’t have much consistently it seems from pair to pair.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah. I have two pairs and they fit exactly the same. I also have a pair of 514's in the same size and those are like a pair of tights.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Now that I think about it, the tighter fit is the raw denim, while the looser fit is finished. I had a third pair that don’t fit anymore, but they felt like the same material as my looser current pair, so I do think there is some consistency between material types.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I buy loose fit and they're still skinny jeans. The war on jeans. It's a pain to find jeans that don't strangle my calves to death and that support my dumb hip width (wide hips, hank hill rear end).

I have trouble with all of my clothing actually. I have the bizarre proportions of legs of a much taller dude and torso+arm length of a much smaller dude combined with shaped like a vending machine. My feet are nearly as wide as they are long, which makes buying shoes dreadful.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 30, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm seriously gonna have to go clothes shopping soon, at least for shorts and stuff. I put on like 12 pounds since the beginning of March and stuff isn't fitting the way it used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Vargatron posted:

same