Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No shame, I got a couple colors of those panties too

e: wow that's a bad time for a new page. More ideas

- aliexpress is constantly recommending me silicone teething beads; it could be a cute DIY for any new moms you know who are okay with their kids chewing on ???
- just add water dinosaur eggs
- Christmas-themed nail water decals

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
this is pretty cool:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cBj1Mj7w

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i got this fitness watch not too long ago: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bsvhlY9i

i don't bother with the blood pressure feature; it can't possibly be accurate, but the heart rate and step counter are. hr isn't continuously measured. the sleep tracker works, but you need to take the watch off and put it on your bed. i think it counts sleep until 10 am. i manually sync it when i get up

it also vibes to alert you to messages and calls, and displays a bit of the message on screen. for ten dollars it's actually really good
I think I really like this, but does it have features like a timer, stop watch, multiple alarms, or an hourly chime? Is it a touchscreen interface?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't see the link because the app is perma-broke for me but I bought a knock-off Fitbit from eBay a few months back, the pulse and blood pressure work and are accurate, gently caress knows how, £12. The main difference from the real deal is that it has a male USB plug hiding inside where half the strap attaches. No adapter needed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I can't see the link because the app is perma-broke for me but I bought a knock-off Fitbit from eBay a few months back, the pulse and blood pressure work and are accurate, gently caress knows how, £12. The main difference from the real deal is that it has a male USB plug hiding inside where half the strap attaches. No adapter needed.

I'm impressed with this: pulse is accurate, the app has a lot of features and it uses a cradle to charge when it needs charging every 3 weeks.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think I really like this, but does it have features like a timer, stop watch, multiple alarms, or an hourly chime? Is it a touchscreen interface?

It definitely has multiple alarms in the app.
In theory, it will alert to push notifications from an app (if you choose), but I tried the native android app clock and it doesn't alert to alarms/timers from there (might be because that is a native app)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Crotch Fruit posted:

i lost the miniscule instruction book; afaik the app has three alarms, a sedentary reminder, but no timer or stop watch, the interface is a touch sensitive dot thing that cycles through each screen. and a shake watch to shoot a photo option that seems random. you apply settings through the app. i charge it every two days.

the one posted above seems better

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 1, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

I'm impressed with this: pulse is accurate, the app has a lot of features and it uses a cradle to charge when it needs charging every 3 weeks.

It definitely has multiple alarms in the app.
In theory, it will alert to push notifications from an app (if you choose), but I tried the native android app clock and it doesn't alert to alarms/timers from there (might be because that is a native app)

That looks a lot better than mine, how thick is it? The main problem I have with mine is it's 10mm thick.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

That looks a lot better than mine, how thick is it? The main problem I have with mine is it's 10mm thick.

Locker_room_chat.txt

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has anyone had an experience of loading the ali app and the search bar suggestion being literally "poo poo"?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The 'lozenge' bit is 10mm thick, 40mm long and 12mm wide.

The strap itself is only 2mm thick. I can wear it under the cuffs on a shirt without problem.

The straps are a bit weedy and I've broken a couple of the little loops, but they've never fallen off. You can buy replacements in loads of colours for a couple of bucks. There are even fancy metal ones (not tried them yet)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Has anyone had an experience of loading the ali app and the search bar suggestion being literally "poo poo"?

Literally laughing irl rn. (No, not yet.)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

No shame, I got a couple colors of those panties too

e: wow that's a bad time for a new page. More ideas

- aliexpress is constantly recommending me silicone teething beads; it could be a cute DIY for any new moms you know who are okay with their kids chewing on ???
- just add water dinosaur eggs
- Christmas-themed nail water decals

I don't celebrate Christmas, so I'm not 100% sure these are appropriate for stocking stuffers for guys but here are some ideas...
Cool post-its

Magnetic bracelet (for holding screws and stuff, also good for sewing). Not for people who work above other people's heads.

Little multitools

Teeny tiny screwdriver sets for repairing laptops/eyeglasses

Magnets

E: VVV oh great all of my ideas are possible then! If it's under $5 you can also do some pliers, those telescoping magnetic tools for picking up nails/screws that fall, those organizational pouch things and dopp kits.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 1, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Stocking stuffers are just like small inexpensive presents, basically everything under $5 on aliexpress qualifies!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
chinese terry’s chocolate oranges for a stocking stuffer

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

heeheex2 posted:

chinese terry’s chocolate oranges for a stocking stuffer

Ironically the one thing that doesn't break easily.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Anne Whateley posted:

Stocking stuffers are just like small inexpensive presents, basically everything under $5 on aliexpress qualifies!

Shipment by December 25 not guaranteed

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I figure this is about the last guaranteed time for Christmas if you use epacket, and probably about the last decent chance if you roll the dice on free shipping. After this weekend you're probably SOL.

Thanks for the ideas, Wren! Definitely bought uh...basically all of them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think any of the adults I know still do stockings but I bought a whole pile of Mini Compact Kerosene Lighter Capsule Gasoline Lighter Inflated Key Chain Petrol Lighter Grinding Wheel Lighter Outdoor Tools ($2) to pass out as random gifts

put like a teaspoon of lighter fluid in it and keep it on your keychain

e: other possible little gifts that I, a man, would appreciate:

pin vise (a tiny little hand drill)

grabby tweezer thing

titanium spork

watchmen lego dudes or pick your favorite weird characters

universal sucker

lock picking training set with transparent padlock (super cool, but check the legality in your state)

cut-resistant gloves (haven't tried, seems legit as HPPE is the generic name for the Dyneema fiber that these are supposed to be made of, but maybe don't get them for a professional chef or whatever)

and one thing you DO NOT BUY: circular saw blades for dremel tools which are EXTRAORDINARILY DANGEROUS and i am fairly sure are in fact now illegal in north america. definitely dremel does not sell anything like this product. i bought some once years ago and nearly lopped off the end of my finger the first time i used them. if you do decide to risk your hands, maybe pick up the cut-resistant gloves too

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 2, 2018

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Sagebrush posted:

and one thing you DO NOT BUY: circular saw blades for dremel tools which are EXTRAORDINARILY DANGEROUS and i am fairly sure are in fact now illegal in north america. definitely dremel does not sell anything like this product. i bought some once years ago and nearly lopped off the end of my finger the first time i used them. if you do decide to risk your hands, maybe pick up the cut-resistant gloves too

This kind of job is definitely better suited to a reciprocal tool.

Repeat after me - a Dremel is for fine detail jobs

Edit: Dremel *do* sell this kind of cutoff wheel
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/wUfNBfL. They are not likely to bind and throw the Dremel across the room either.

norp fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 2, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I bought all of them except the ones that seemed likely to appear in a becoming-a-supervillain montage, thanks!

I didn't mean to ask for just manly man stuff, btw; the guys in my family don't really have macho interests, so everybody-type stuff is cool, and I'm also happy to get non-jewelry ideas for the women!

Not a stocking stuffer but a recommendation for you guys: this food scoop thing. I've had the legit one, from Joseph Joseph, for a couple years, and it's just super handy. No idea about the quality of the aliexpress one, but the pics look like the legit version

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 2, 2018

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

For what its worth I've had really good experience with silicone cookware from AliExpress.

Nylon stuff can be pretty garbage from reputable stores so it might be terrible

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

I bought all of them except the ones that seemed likely to appear in a becoming-a-supervillain montage, thanks!

I didn't mean to ask for just manly man stuff, btw; the guys in my family don't really have macho interests, so everybody-type stuff is cool, and I'm also happy to get non-jewelry ideas for the women!

Not a stocking stuffer but a recommendation for you guys: this food scoop thing. I've had the legit one, from Joseph Joseph, for a couple years, and it's just super handy. No idea about the quality of the aliexpress one, but the pics look like the legit version

Looks handy to me. tbh I figure most of what I get on Ali is just the same poo poo as anywhere, just without 2-6 middlemen :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
quality spider keepers

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

norp posted:

Somehow these glasses have overwhelmingly positive reviews....
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Rp3tppJ

$2.5 a pair... That's cheap even for aliexpress

Bit late but DO NOT buy those glasses! Look for the more expensive ones, 12-15bux.

The really cheap Fauxleys have a rigid nosepiece that you are not going to enjoy. The sightly more expensive ones are completely fine for casual cycling, although they just persuaded me that i wanted a real pair in the end. Lens quality is strictly ok whereas real Oakleys have absolutely incredible lenses.

The fake Oakley EVZEROs are really really good too. Closer to the real thing than the Jawbreakers.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
[quote="Sagebrush" post="490347135"]
I don't think any of the adults I know still do stockings but I bought a whole pile of Mini Compact Kerosene Lighter Capsule Gasoline Lighter Inflated Key Chain Petrol Lighter Grinding Wheel Lighter Outdoor Tools ($2) to pass out as random gifts

put like a teaspoon of lighter fluid in it and keep it on your keychain

Back when I smoked, I had a repro "trench lighter" that was fundamentally the same design, but larger.

It was a cool lighter, but like a Zippo, the lighter fluid evaporates off at a fairly high rate (especially if you keep it in your shirt pocket), and I was refilling it, due to evaporation, every couple of days.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Spermanent Record posted:

Bit late but DO NOT buy those glasses! Look for the more expensive ones, 12-15bux.

Wasn't going to get them, I've got some ~$12 rockbros ones that have lovely hinges but are quite comfortable and have quite good lenses. The adjustable bridges are probably what save them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't know what I expected

Pick posted:

Looks handy to me. tbh I figure most of what I get on Ali is just the same poo poo as anywhere, just without 2-6 middlemen :shrug:
I agree but one of the middlemen being eliminated is quality control. Which is fine for post-its but questionable for cookware that might melt or poison you or both. If you're brave enough, though, there are already naked cherry palette dupes on ali

PS, I may not have plat but you have my email!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Sagebrush posted:

Bought some of these once for cutting a lightswitch hole in the back of an ikea bookcase, did the job ok, if not very neatly. The screw holding it in did keep coming loose though...

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Back when I smoked, I had a repro "trench lighter" that was fundamentally the same design, but larger.

It was a cool lighter, but like a Zippo, the lighter fluid evaporates off at a fairly high rate (especially if you keep it in your shirt pocket), and I was refilling it, due to evaporation, every couple of days.
I bought an IMCO Triplex 6700 lighter from varusteleka.fi when they were getting rid of their remaining stock, and this thing is so much better than a Zippo. So I would recommend one of the clones for it, if you need a lighter.
Here's one: IMCO 6700 Stainless steel lighter Kerosene Oil Petrol gasoline Refillable lighter vintage style Windproof
Can't be sure if the clones works as well, but my lighter keeps it's fuel easily for a month if you don't use it, and actually stays lit on a windy day. Does get hot as hell if you keep it lit for more than a few dozen seconds, but I think Zippo has the same feature.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

COME OF VIENNA

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

This actually doesn't look too terrible, like maybe if yiu had a way to mount the Dremel, or maybe not run it at full speed. I mean I think it's stupid, butni think it could be useful kinda like a bench top hobby table saw.

In other news, I waited 26hrs after messaging the seller on my watch, then filed a dispute, and got an e-mailed saying it was resolved in 10 minutes, but it was still open when I looked online. But a half hour later I got another e-mailed confirming the dispute, and it looks like all I have to do now is wait. Does anyone have experience with how long it usually takes to get money back from Ali? In the meantime, I ordered the same wat from another seller for 83 cents less, bit then chose to spend $1.92 on ePacket shipping since I've been waiting long enough already.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Maybe don't buy this, but totally look at it.

Music Tesla Coil Music Tesla Coil Plasma Loudspeaker

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I've been told to cancel about half of my orders from the 11/11 sale due to the postal strike. :canada:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Cage posted:

Maybe don't buy this, but totally look at it.

Music Tesla Coil Music Tesla Coil Plasma Loudspeaker

quote:

Don't use too many adjectives to describe.
Extremely :same:.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

This actually doesn't look too terrible, like maybe if yiu had a way to mount the Dremel, or maybe not run it at full speed. I mean I think it's stupid, butni think it could be useful kinda like a bench top hobby table saw.

If you want your Dremel to work like a circular saw, Dremel has a tool for you that is properly designed and relatively safe:

Obviously it has a guard on it, and the guard is also designed to help you keep positive pressure on the cut for better stability. Most importantly, though, the saw blades are designed to only fit the arbor inside that plastic housing. You can't pop the blade out and mount it directly on the tool as you can with those AliExpress ones, because that would be hideously unsafe.

When you dig down into the world of Chinesium tools you come across these things frequently -- tools where you go "wow, that's really simple and obvious, why don't I ever see that for sale here?" and then you think about it for a few minutes, and realize that it's because you can only sell such a thing where the public/government reaction to someone being maimed by an unreasonably dangerous tool is *shrug* "should've been more careful"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 2, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dremel do sell saw blades, but they're intended for use with a little housing attachment with cover and safety guard.

efb

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Those little keychain ones I posted screw together and look like they have an O-ring on them so I'm hoping that will reduce the amount of evaporation to a reasonable level.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is the WorkPro Official store on Ali the same quality of goods we get in Canada/the States? The prices look a little bit lower (not now to Canada though because of shipping, but I was wondering about when the postal service resumes).

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
So can anyone tell me wtf is the purpose of this thing?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TiT...2868920536.html

I found it following the related stuff from the mini-tools, and it costs 62 bux! Reviews are all positive and the page does nothing to explain what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sPnad0Mh7c