Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ride The Gravitron posted:

r/relationshipsUpdates

My (31M) father (67M) is now on his deathbed, he verbally mentally and abused me when I was younger and now wants to see me, I have no desire to see this man but my mother and sisters are giving me hell over it and my wife thinks I should at least go, once, what do I do?

Holy poo poo this is terrible. Don’t let anyone tell you you owe “closure” to someone you hate who is going to be rotting meat in short order anyway.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^ gently caress anyone who says "but they're family" as a reason to face an abuser.

[UPDATE] I [27M] think my fiancee [27F] might be cheating

tl;dr: Sandra is a cheating bitch. She can go gently caress herself

Good Pete.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Khazar-khum posted:

Louis XVI did nothing even close to the atrocities committed by the Terror. Most of whom ended up on the guillotine themselves.

The correct response, from an American, is a picture of George Washington. If that doesn't make him poo poo bricks, he has no digestive tract.

he doesn't consider george iii a legitminate monarch, and america only became independent because of france anyway

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

...wakes me up to turn off the lights, get him a cup of water or cook food...

When he wakes me up to ask for something, he will often repeat his demand incessantly until I acquiesce

Don't date toddlers, OP

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Whorelord posted:

he doesn't consider george iii a legitminate monarch, and america only became independent because of france anyway

The correct answer here is a picture of William of Orange.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

My [18F] step sister [19F] bullies me. Parents won't do anything about it. I feel so trapped and depressed. I feel like I can't go on anymore.

quote:

I was 15 when my mom died and 16 when my Dad remarried. I've been living with him and his new family ever since.

My step sister, Abby, have done nothing but to make my life a living hell. Since our house only have two rooms, we have to share a bedroom. She always blasts her music all throughout the night even though I'm still sleeping or studying. Abby would also invite her friends and makes me wash the dishes because she won't do them. She would also wrecked my stuff or threatens me that she'll feed my dog chocolates if I don't follow her rules.

I have already told my parents about this. My step mother won't believe that her daughter would do something like this but she still tried to tell Abby to stop bothering me. Abby just acted like she doesn't know what her mom's talking about. My Dad just told me to stop acting like a drama queen to quit stirring up problems. After telling our parents this, she fed my dog bits of chocolate. Thankfully my dog didn't die from it. I was so traumatized I didn't attempt again to tell our parents.

I feel like a modern day Cinderella. Except that I still have a Dad that could help me but chose not to. I feel so lost. I looked for other relatives that could help me but they all seem to be busy with their lives.

I can't move out because I can't afford it. And even if the time comes for me to go to college, the college my Dad chose for me is just a 45mins drive away from home. It's like I can't get away from here. What should I do? I feel so depressed and ending my life is just the only available option.

TL;DR: my stepsister treats me like poo poo. Parents can't and won't do anything about it. I can't move ot because I can't afford it. What to do?

:murder: everyone, no court in the land will convict you

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

My sister [19F] caught me [16M] crying, and started shouting at me and hitting me.

Woof. Can't wait to hear how this kid's dating life goes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My (24F) boyfriends (24m) family made some offensive comments about my race when we were visiting. He thinks I’m overreacting. Am I really overreacting?

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for three years. He’s white, I’m Native American. This is the first time I’ve ever met them (they live out of state). We finally put together the money to go and see them this past weekend, and I thought it went really well, except his dad and brother made a few “jokes” about my race that really haven’t sat well with me.

The first day, we were all sitting down for dinner. His mom asked if I wanted a margarita because she was going to make herself some, and his dad responded with “better not, you know how some Indians are.” His dad apparently buys into the stereotype that all natives are drunks. I told his mom that I’m not really a drinker, and his dad replied that that’s smart of me. I’m shy, and have a lot of social anxiety, so I didn’t say anything. The second day, his brother called me a redskin once as a joke. I’m not sure if he sincerely found it funny and thought I would too or if he was trying to be racist. He’s 14, so he might have been trying to make an edgy joke or something. I’m not sure. Again I didn’t say anything. That same day we were watching the show Intervention, and his dad asked me if I knew anyone that had been on the show. I grew up on a reservation, and addiction is an extreme problem there, but still that was incredibly rude to say. Again, I said nothing, though I did get up and leave the room. We left the next day.

When we were going home, my boyfriend asked me what I thought of his family. I told my boyfriend that his dad and brothers comments made me really uncomfortable, and that I thought some of them were offensive. He got defensive and told me that they were just joking (I don’t doubt that they probably thought they were being funny), and I that I shouldn’t be offended. I told him that he might not have thought they were offensive, but he wasn’t native and doesn’t get to decide what I found offensive. He said most natives wouldn’t care. I said well I’m native and I do care. He got really mad at me, and has barely spoken to me since we got home, and it’s really hurting me, making me feel like I’m not justified in my feelings.

Was I really overreacting? I get his point that some natives probably wouldn’t care, but I do, shouldn’t that be enough? I didn’t think the jokes were funny in the least bit. How do I bring this up with him, that him choosing to defend his family instead of at least trying to see my side is really hurting me? Thank you in advance.

tl;dr: Boyfriends family offended me, he says I’m overreacting. Am I really?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

op should scalp the family imo

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
UPDATE: My(25) BF(28) won't ask for my hand in marriage so my Dad(51) is staging a family boycott of my wedding. Is my BF being disconsiderate?

u/throwawayandpanic

original post is here,/r/relationships/comments/26pydf/my_bf_m25_wont_ask_for_my_hand_and_my_dad_m48_is/

The wedding went on as planned. My parents stuck to their guns and boycotted. One of my two sisters attended and is now happily blacklisted from our family. Nobody else from my entire family showed up including my two brothers.

The wedding was a little unconventional. My sister walked my husband down the aisle and then his sister walked me down the aisle. I wanted this because my SIL actually introduced us and helped me get my first date with him. There was no questioned about who gives away the bride or even about objections. It was normal other than that. There has been no contact between me and my family, other than my one sister. My mother has made it a point to send me a card every time that they have a family gathering for holidays or birthdays at their house to let me know that my father says I'm not invited. I get one almost every month. I don't even read them anymore I just toss them. I don't why they keep sending them because I've made no effort to contact them and I live over three hours away so it's not like I will run into them by accident.

The reason I came back to post this here is because some people here made a prediction that came true (that they would come crawling back when we had children). I am now expecting our first child, a girl :). She will be the first grandchild for my parents. My parents found out about the pregnancy a few months ago through a family friend. They didn't waste anytime in making demands, not requests, demands. My boyfriend and I are not religious but I had a Catholic upbringing. I don't practice at all by choice. My mother called me back in April telling me that my father wanted our daughter's middle name to be his mother's first name. I said no. My father was listening in on speaker so I went ahead and told them that they were officially uninvited from all birthdays, graduations, and any other important dates in her life. My father called me half an hour later crying and begging me to come stay with them for the birth so my mother could care for me. I said no.

He also said that he had already made arrangements for his priest could baptize her at his church but that I needed to agree to naming her after his mother if I wanted this to happen. He said he'd already planned a big celebration for the birth and the baptism that he was paying for. I said no to all of it. He went from meekly trying to sweet talk me to raising his voice at me and I hung up.

He called a couple of more times to apologize for losing his temper and again beg me to reconsider giving birth at a hospital near them so they could visit us. He denied having any knowledge of my mother sending me cards to uninvite us to any family functions and even said that he specifically asked her to invite us but he was told I declined every time. He lets my mom do the dirty work so he can later hide behind her and deny he had any knowledge. He's done this since I was a little girl. He does this every time he wants to drop the hammer on somebody but be the good cop also. He'll never change. He denied having any knowledge of why anybody in the family missed my wedding. I told him our daughter would not be baptized, or catholic at all (no offense to Catholics). I told him he was too manipulative and controlling and I didn't want my daughter exposed to that. He's too toxic and just venomous.

Coincidentally, the day and for several days after that phone call I got tons of calls and emails from my brothers, their wives, my sister, and all my aunts. They all wanted to apologize for missing my wedding, and all had specific excuses, and wanted to make plans to be there for my daughter's birth. I banned them all from her life until she's old enough to decide for herself to let them in.

My husband was a little surprised and not sure about banning everybody forever. He's more leaning towards supervised visits if they want to drive to us. My dad has been calling him like crazy but we are a united front. My husband is deferring to me but giving me ideas as to how I can give a little if I decide to. But with my family there's no giving a little. They want it all. For now, they're all banned. I will reconsider when the youngest of our children turns 18 :). For now my dad will have to settle for sucking up to my husband while I stick to my guns. Unlike him, I don't mind owning my decisions even if it means I'm bad cop. I'm not ready to give up a relatively drama free, stress free life to allow my dad and all his sheep back into our lives.

tl;dr: Nobody in my family showed up to our wedding other than one of my sisters. Everyone is banned from our lives.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fruit on the bottom posted:

My (24F) boyfriends (24m) family made some offensive comments about my race when we were visiting. He thinks I’m overreacting. Am I really overreacting?

Yes, let me tell you how a POC should react to racism!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That woman has some solid steel ovaries and I salute her

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

girl pants posted:

Me (26F) with my boyfriend (28M) of 6 years, I started weight lifting, he doesn’t like how my body is changing

Deadlift him out of your life

Ugh. Runners.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
"It was just a joke, lighten up" is like the mating call of huge assholes and a very useful way to determine who you should cut out of your life

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I [23F] need help forgiving my partner's [27 M] goodfriend's bride-to-be, whose wedding I'm invited to

quote:

submitted 5 days ago by couchdrunk

I recently made a post about not wanting to go to my SO's goodfriend's wedding, that means alot to him. This may give more context to my question here, so here is the link.

https://rr.reddit.com/r/weddingplanning/comments/7nyrbv/declining_to_a_wedding_im_afraid_my_partner/

The bride-to-be [25/F] and I were at the same university for 2years, during then, I tried becoming friends with her by asking her to hang out some times. I really thought she was hella cool, and I'm not great socially, so reaching out to someone is a huge step outside my comfort zone and really putting myself out there. I talked with her sporadically whenever I saw her, messaged her occasionally asking how she was, and later asking her 3 times, on 3 separate months/occasions, if she wanted to get coffee/just hang. Each time she left me with the silent treatment/no text back. I gave up. I felt hurt after the last time, still kind of do. I know its kind of dumb, but that was me being vulnerable, and being rejected/ghosted/silent treatmented 3 times just felt like a sting. Especially when I thought so highly of her. I kind of dont want anything to do with someone after that, especially when they knew what they were doing.

Last night, as i was calling my partner, I told them those details about why I didn't want to go to the wedding, and they understood. The more I explained my feelings about the bride-to-be, my partner said it sounded like I had animosity towards her. I agreed, and explained other instances when I've had a "f--k you" mentality towards her...in which during those moments, I wasn't being too classy.

I reacted in the ways I did/do because I felt entirely hurt. I am sensitive. I do take a lot of things [i.e. criticisms, rejections] personally. I understand that this isn't justification, but an explanation. I really had high hopes for a friendship with this girl, and when my high expectations did not meet reality, I got pissed. First emotionally hurt/sad, then pissed. I really need some help. It's not an issue that plagues me everyday, I can forget about it, especially when I'm busy with school work (as a uni student). But when I'm reminded of her, like being told about the wedding, I start feeling upset again.

I don't like how I act, for the sake of myself and because I want my partner to date someone who acts better. This brings me to my questions: People say forgive, but how? People say let go of the grudge, but how? Like, That's good advice, but I really dont know how to forgive and let go... I can forget, temporarily. But really, I dont know how to heal myself. Any [understanding] advice would be most appreciated.

tl;dr: How to forgive when you don't know how to do it, and how to let go for good, when your hurt feelings seem to boomerang back at you?

Imagine if you never stopped being the person you were in elementary school.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

fruit on the bottom posted:

Drop your boyfriend's family off a cliff and never talk to him again. This girl can do way better than a dumbshit boyfriend who excuses his family telling the laziest racist "jokes". Why even bother if her boyfriend didn't immediately feel ultra embarrassed and apologized?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

UPDATE: My(25) BF(28) won't ask for my hand in marriage so my Dad(51) is staging a family boycott of my wedding. Is my BF being disconsiderate?

Hahaha the dad is such a lying, bullying sack of poo poo. LOL @ the idea that a priest will only baptize their child into the church if they agree to very specific demands around naming her. It’s funny both that he thinks this is a useful bludgeon and that he thinks anyone would ever believe it in the first place.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

r/relationshipsNon-Romantic

My BF[28m] caused my[24f] parents to file for divorce.

u/bfparentbreakup

So some back story to start. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and we've been living together for 1.5. We've had our bumps but for the most part the relationship has been going really well. I've never known him to be vindictive or cruel hearted, he's always been sweet to me.

I guess the drama started when my sister announced her wedding to the family. My parents agreed to pay for it and my mom has been very stressed, planning the wedding with my sister. She wants the pictures to be perfect and is concerned about my BF. He's had a pretty big scar on his face since he was young, and my mom finds it hideous. I don't know why, she's always had a weird obsession with it that I hide from my boyfriend, but he catches her staring.

So last week she texts him "How to tell someone they need cosmetic surgery". He didn't tell me about it before he texted back "How to tell someone they're in a loveless marriage and their husband is cheating when he goes on business trips".
I told my BF that this was my mom's biggest fear, she's constantly worried he's cheating on these trips. I remember hearing her crying a few times late at night when I was growing up. I trusted him with this and he used it against her/me. He did this while my dad was out of town.

So she calls me at work crying about what he said to her. I try to calm her down, reassure her that dad isn't cheating. Well afterwards she calls him up and accuses him of cheating, he tells her that he's tired of hearing her accusations while he's trying to provide for her, that he wants a divorce. He told me that he can't handle her anymore, he dreads picking up her calls when he's out of town and that he's not going to return for her. He really is filing for divorce.

Now he won't talk to her or come home and I'm caught in the middle. My sister is also obviously not getting her dream wedding and is very upset about it. My boyfriend defends himself, saying that it was bound to happen eventually and that he's not going to take poo poo from her. I'm pissed that he used something I trusted him with and destroyed my family with it.

I'm so emotionally drained after taking care of my mother this weekend, I don't know how to confront my boyfriend. Sometimes I don't even know if he's that much of an rear end in a top hat for doing this. Is this a red flag, what should I do?

tldr: My Mom sent a nasty text to my BF, he sends back a nastier text that eventually caused my parents to start separating.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

u/bfparentbreakup

So some back story to start. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and we've been living together for 1.5. We've had our bumps but for the most part the relationship has been going really well. I've never known him to be vindictive or cruel hearted, he's always been sweet to me.

I guess the drama started when my sister announced her wedding to the family. My parents agreed to pay for it and my mom has been very stressed, planning the wedding with my sister. She wants the pictures to be perfect and is concerned about my BF. He's had a pretty big scar on his face since he was young, and my mom finds it hideous. I don't know why, she's always had a weird obsession with it that I hide from my boyfriend, but he catches her staring.

So last week she texts him "How to tell someone they need cosmetic surgery". He didn't tell me about it before he texted back "How to tell someone they're in a loveless marriage and their husband is cheating when he goes on business trips".
I told my BF that this was my mom's biggest fear, she's constantly worried he's cheating on these trips. I remember hearing her crying a few times late at night when I was growing up. I trusted him with this and he used it against her/me. He did this while my dad was out of town.

So she calls me at work crying about what he said to her. I try to calm her down, reassure her that dad isn't cheating. Well afterwards she calls him up and accuses him of cheating, he tells her that he's tired of hearing her accusations while he's trying to provide for her, that he wants a divorce. He told me that he can't handle her anymore, he dreads picking up her calls when he's out of town and that he's not going to return for her. He really is filing for divorce.

Now he won't talk to her or come home and I'm caught in the middle. My sister is also obviously not getting her dream wedding and is very upset about it. My boyfriend defends himself, saying that it was bound to happen eventually and that he's not going to take poo poo from her. I'm pissed that he used something I trusted him with and destroyed my family with it.

I'm so emotionally drained after taking care of my mother this weekend, I don't know how to confront my boyfriend. Sometimes I don't even know if he's that much of an rear end in a top hat for doing this. Is this a red flag, what should I do?

tldr: My Mom sent a nasty text to my BF, he sends back a nastier text that eventually caused my parents to start separating.

This is the high quality content we deserve.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

u/bfparentbreakup

Sow the wind and you shall reap the whirlwind and all that.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

u/bfparentbreakup

yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

u/bfparentbreakup

Pete x2

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

u/bfparentbreakup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGFatM1ktU

:discourse:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"My boyfriend's comment destroyed my family."

Lady, if all it took to destroy your family was a single text then that family was already gone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is like an Edgar Allen Poe short story, except good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

u/bfparentbreakup

hell yeah

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

u/bfparentbreakup

I'm so fuckin proud of this guy holy poo poo

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

u/bfparentbreakup

Oh yeah, that's the stuff. :discourse:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

u/bfparentbreakup

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
quality content this morning. gj Ride The Gravitron.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That girl needs to put a ring on that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Goddamn

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Khorne posted:

$2k is pretty reasonable for a wedding ring and $5k is crazy unreasonable for a gaming budget. Engagement rings are stupid.

I like the video games, but I spend <$500/yr on them. gently caress, I quit hearthstone, a game I played and liked a lot for 4 years, because their new set release schedule tripled its cost from around $200/yr to $600/yr. And outside of dropping $20-$50 once per year on the steam sale, that's pretty much all I spend on gaming (~$250). I make more that on any given saturday. It's like spending $5k/yr on watching tv. What a waste of money and presumably time. In order to spend 5k/yr on gaming you have to be buying a ton of garbage AAA games you barely play or cosmetics. That guy can't be bothered to drop $2k on a ring, something that lasts forever, and sets $200 as the pricepoint?

I mean, it won't last forever with this woman because she's somehow worse than he is. Unless it's one of those "we're both garbage idiots so somehow end up together for 10-forever years relationships".

Nah, he’s way worse.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Barudak posted:

That girl needs to put a ring on that.

Sounds like she's pretty firmly caught in her mom's vortex of dysfunction so she's probably just going to blow the relationship up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You come at the king, you best not miss.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

"My boyfriend's comment destroyed my family."

Lady, if all it took to destroy your family was a single text then that family was already gone.

That camel was doing just fine yesterday!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Just perfect

Sadly in the comments she says she has to side with her mom because of ~family~ and gets mad that everyone is siding with her BF.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Some tiny nagging part of me wants to say there's something to be said for being the "bigger person" and just not responding

But not responding would've robbed the world of a truly awe-inspiring ice burn and y'know what that lady had it coming.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

Sadly in the comments she says she has to side with her mom because of ~family~ and gets mad that everyone is siding with her BF.

I dont get this because her dad sure isnt.

This is how you miss out on Mr. Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
she commented twice in that thread defending her mom and her two comments have over -1000 karma combined LOL