Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

chthonic bell posted:

As far as I know, budgies won't lay unless provided with a nest, so you should be fine even if they are doing it.

Oh, they sure will. I discovered my budgie Chaneu was a girl the day she was huddled all fluffed up under her food dish and I reached in to see if she was okay.

Momma budgie bites are surprisingly painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh. Whoops. Guess I made the right choice in getting boys. :v:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Alright, thanks for the answers so far! Looks like a visit to my resident avian vet is in order. Let's see how well Budgie takes to the travel cage, last time she ( :v: ) wasn't too pleased about it, and she isn't hand-tame yet. Guess I'll try to lure her into the cage with lots of treats!

Going by the pictures I got based on your suggestions, it sure looks like a textbook brown hypertrophy. Let's hope it turns out harmless at the vet so that poor Budgie doesn't have to be more stressed out than she already will be by the travel cage. Also, hopefully no mites. Those pics looked nasty...

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sociopastry posted:

Welp. My birds are indeed loving. Jesus, guys, it hasn't even been a week.

should I get them something to nest in? I wouldn't be adverse to baby booges, but I also know there's always a risk of health problems.

They'll probably find somewhere to lay even if you don't give them something for it, or just do it on the floor. I wouldn't bother unless the hen is really insistent on sitting on the eggs, then get a bowl nest or something for her just so she can be comfortable while being stubborn. If you just throw the eggs out she may just insist on laying more to replace them, so shaking them/otherwise making them duds, or switching them out for fakes, is good while you let her get bored of sitting on them.

chthonic bell posted:

Okay, so , Gnosis and Hubris know Step Up, what could I teach them next?

Shake or wave, or turn around! The first two build off step up so it's an easy transition.

Dreggon posted:

do birds get neutered or are you going to have a bunch of little baby birds

You can actually get birth control for some birds! Neutering is also technically possible, but it's risky and more of a last resort thing, not at all like with mammals.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

They'll probably find somewhere to lay even if you don't give them something for it, or just do it on the floor. I wouldn't bother unless the hen is really insistent on sitting on the eggs, then get a bowl nest or something for her just so she can be comfortable while being stubborn. If you just throw the eggs out she may just insist on laying more to replace them, so shaking them/otherwise making them duds, or switching them out for fakes, is good while you let her get bored of sitting on them.

Shake or wave, or turn around! The first two build off step up so it's an easy transition.

You can actually get birth control for some birds! Neutering is also technically possible, but it's risky and more of a last resort thing, not at all like with mammals.

I'll probably get her those little fake wooden eggs from the craft shop. I love the idea of baby booges, but I dunno how well I'd be able to rehome them.

Also, shake is a great trick. Fuji knows shake! Hara's still learning step up.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

chthonic bell posted:

Okay, so , Gnosis and Hubris know Step Up, what could I teach them next?

Yay, Gnosis & Hubris!

Turn Around, perhaps? Could be handy for bird inspection and photo opps. Then maybe go further from that behavior to Spin.

:v:: 'kay, birb--do Drunk Ballerina!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Alright, thanks for the answers so far! Looks like a visit to my resident avian vet is in order. Let's see how well Budgie takes to the travel cage, last time she ( :v: ) wasn't too pleased about it, and she isn't hand-tame yet. Guess I'll try to lure her into the cage with lots of treats!

Going by the pictures I got based on your suggestions, it sure looks like a textbook brown hypertrophy. Let's hope it turns out harmless at the vet so that poor Budgie doesn't have to be more stressed out than she already will be by the travel cage. Also, hopefully no mites. Those pics looked nasty...

For the record budgies get crusty beaks when they have a rise in hormones as well. It's pretty normal and you can see them from time to time. The beak gets crusty, stays that way for a week and a half, and it goes away again.

It looks very similar to other problems so feel free to take the birdie to the vet and make sure but I would bet money it's nothing more than hormones.

E: I googled it (super reliable I know) and apparantly non-hormone related scaliness will spread to other areas like around the eyes while hormones only affects the cere.

Here is a picture of a perfectly normal female budgie with a creepy god awful looking cere due to hormones

Again, totally healthy bird, just gets that way sometimes.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 8, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah if they are your pets don't let them lay or they won't really act like pets anymore

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

can birds be gay?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dreggon posted:

can birds be gay?

Yes, someone in the chicken thread was recently talking about how two of their roosters only want to boink each other rather than the hens.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Dreggon posted:

birds be gay?

Does the Pope poo poo in the woods?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Does the Pope poo poo in the woods?

i don't know? it's not something that's ever come up, he's a pretty down to earth guy i'm sure he would yeah

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yeah if they are your pets don't let them lay or they won't really act like pets anymore

ooooh, okay, yes, thank you. I want feathery little rear end in a top hat friends.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah they go all hormonal and be more worried about their kids than being friends.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

DarkHorse posted:

I will pay all of the monies if a jensay-colored one can be made, and I will pay extra if it can be completed before mid-April.

All. The. Monies.

(It's adorable and amazing, pass along my compliments)

Which colors specifically would you want changed to what? I'm looking at various jensay pictures on gis but there's some variation. Like a yellow head with an orange chest? The wings seem to be green with the same blue tips underneath. You may want to pick on of the pictures and write over what you want changed to what with mspaint or something. I'll start with yours since you specified a timeline for it :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

blackflare posted:

Which colors specifically would you want changed to what? I'm looking at various jensay pictures on gis but there's some variation. Like a yellow head with an orange chest? The wings seem to be green with the same blue tips underneath. You may want to pick on of the pictures and write over what you want changed to what with mspaint or something. I'll start with yours since you specified a timeline for it :v:

aaaaaaaa

How much are you charging per? I want need one of my birb but don't have much money :ohdear:

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I'm not really sure yet, the first one took me a REALLY long time to make but a lot of that was experimenting with materials and altering a pattern I found to work better. I'm hoping the second one goes a lot faster. But I usually sell my plushes for around 40-50$. I sew by hand (A machine wouldn't even be practical for most of this pattern) and it can take awhile.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

blackflare posted:

I'm not really sure yet, the first one took me a REALLY long time to make but a lot of that was experimenting with materials and altering a pattern I found to work better. I'm hoping the second one goes a lot faster. But I usually sell my plushes for around 40-50$. I sew by hand (A machine wouldn't even be practical for most of this pattern) and it can take awhile.

Please keep us posted, I'm sure you'd have have a handful of people here that would love to own one of your amazing creations :)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yeah they go all hormonal and be more worried about their kids than being friends.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Please keep us posted, I'm sure you'd have have a handful of people here that would love to own one of your amazing creations :)

I would want a life-size version of a dusky conure to confuse Alexis with (until she inevitably ripped it to shreds, which is why I won't get one)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I forget who suggested ice cream cones as bird toys, but that was an awesome suggestion. We gave the birds cones today and after the initial fear wore off, they're both happily sitting shredding them up :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It still amuses after all these years that in the cockatiel world the pellet they find in a random nook and cranny is infinitely tastier than the fresh ones in the dish.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Bird goons, what can I do about my budgie's human directed rage issues?

Milly, my (almost 1 year old) female budgie has always had her ups and downs with emotions, but I feel like it is beginning to take a toll on me. She is just a really cranky bitch! I don't know why she is so often full of anger.
I feed her lots of healthy food and clean water, she has a ton of all different types of toys and perches, a big cage, and a UV spectrum light she gets for 6ish hours a day. I give her free time out of her cage whenever I/ my boyfriend is home. I talk to her all the time, she gets lots of attention.

I am assuming she likes me for the most part, because she calls for me when I leave her sight, and sometimes regurgitates on me, and if she could, would be on my shoulder at all times. She will nibble and preen me too.
But then she will just flip out and bite me SO HARD (as hard as a budgie can..). She is even beginning to fly to me (from her open cage) and land on me, and THEN bite me. What even is this behaviour?!

She used to be good for stepping up, but now 80% of the time it is prefaced with an angry lunge towards it my finger.

She is also very protective of her food dish. If I walk past her cage, she will jump to her food dish, and fan her tail feathers, and angrily peck at the bowl and stare at me. Retrieving and filling her dish is impossible without getting bitten. Covering her cage for bedtime also results in cranky aggressive behaviour, and as I place the blanket over the cage and tell her "it's bed time", she will bite at the closest thing near her, or lunge in my direction.

Her love/ hate relationship with me is irritating and confusing. She is really fun and cute in her nice moments, but a lot of the time I don't even know what is setting her off when she bites. Is this just birds being birds? Is there anything I can do to discourage her moodiness?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
She's currently the equivalent of a 12 year old girl.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Welcome to pubirdty.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

SaNChEzZ posted:

I forget who suggested ice cream cones as bird toys, but that was an awesome suggestion. We gave the birds cones today and after the initial fear wore off, they're both happily sitting shredding them up :3:

its cheap, its safe to swallow, and the birds loves wrecking it, perfect.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Wrecking Ball posted:

99 bird problems

How much sleep is she getting?

Also, probably bird hormones.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Well hopefully it's just the pubirdty phase!

She gets 8 hours uninterrupted at night because that's how long I am asleep for, and I live in a tiny apartment. I guess they are supposed to have 12 hours to eliminate breeding behaviours though, right?
She takes little bird naps throughout the day during times I am doing some sort of quiet activity (or does that not count?)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wrecking Ball posted:

Well hopefully it's just the pubirdty phase!

She gets 8 hours uninterrupted at night because that's how long I am asleep for, and I live in a tiny apartment. I guess they are supposed to have 12 hours to eliminate breeding behaviours though, right?
She takes little bird naps throughout the day during times I am doing some sort of quiet activity (or does that not count?)

Nope, doesn't count.

It's the darkness you want. Noise in the apartment while they're covered up is something they get used to. She should have 12 hours of being covered up each night.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Nope, doesn't count.

It's the darkness you want. Noise in the apartment while they're covered up is something they get used to. She should have 12 hours of being covered up each night.

I have to get up at 6:30 am for work. That means I have to cover her up at 6:30 pm? I don't even get home from work till 5:30 pm! :smith:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wrecking Ball posted:

I have to get up at 6:30 am for work. That means I have to cover her up at 6:30 pm? I don't even get home from work till 5:30 pm! :smith:

Yikes. There's some wiggle-room, it doesn't have to be a strict 12 hours, but yeah, not getting enough darkness can be an issue. Maybe try making sure she's got a solid 10 hours of darkness and see if her behavior improves?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

One thing you could do is let her hang out with you while you get ready in the morning if afternoon time is tight. Get a shower perch, put her on your towel while it's on the rack maybe? We put our guys to bed at 8 nightly and they usually start banging around inside their cages at around 7 naturally.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

blackflare posted:

I'd be down for one at that price too, if you can do a GCC coloured one. It would be great for my wife to have at her work. You can email me at mikerock777 at hot male if you decide to go forward with this project.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

blackflare posted:

I am more than happy to be queued up for a hawkheaded parrot and would be more than happy to pay this price. I am also willing to help pay half of Literally A Bird's b/c I just got my tax return and no one should be without one of these adorable plushies. You accept paypal, right?

I've got refs when it's my turn but I am in no hurry.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
blackflare: would you be able to to do two budgies, half-size? :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chaosfeather posted:

I am more than happy to be queued up for a hawkheaded parrot and would be more than happy to pay this price. I am also willing to help pay half of Literally A Bird's b/c I just got my tax return and no one should be without one of these adorable plushies. You accept paypal, right?

I've got refs when it's my turn but I am in no hurry.

Oh my goodness you are divine :h:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

In that case I would like to get in line for a birb plushie please :3:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp, been to the avian vet in my region with Budgie and her weird beak deformity. The good news is, vet thinks it's - as expected - brown hypertrophy, and nothing nasty. The bad news is, I'm pretty sure Budgie hates me now. Didn't have to grab her, but she didn't like the travel cage and made that heard at every opportunity. I'm gonna bribe her until she's happy again.

I was told that the deformity on the ceres (and it's only on the ceres) should recede after a couple of weeks or so... In any case, I'm glad I don't have to terrorize the bird any further with any treatment. Even if it's for their best, I don't like seeing my buddies panic that much. :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's probably not too helpful a tip right now, but in general I found that with any bird I've had, including budgies, a cockatiel and my African Grey, if you have to do a scary/annoying thing like towelling them for a wing or toenail clip, the best method was to go in fast, do the job quickly and quietly, then release them and pretend nothing happened. No apologies, no acknowledging what just happened, just straight-up gaslight your bird. They seem to think that it wasn't really that bad since no-one else is frightened or upset and it if had been a Really Bad Thing everyone would be being nice to them.

Sounds kind of cruel I know, but it really reduced their shock and stress recovery time in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Cockatiel bitches about not being let out all day, finally has his cage door opened, gets excited, climbs past it to his perch and goes to sleep instead. :derptiel:

blackflare posted:

I'm poor as gently caress but your stuff is super cute and your prices are great. :3:

Pookah posted:

It's probably not too helpful a tip right now, but in general I found that with any bird I've had, including budgies, a cockatiel and my African Grey, if you have to do a scary/annoying thing like towelling them for a wing or toenail clip, the best method was to go in fast, do the job quickly and quietly, then release them and pretend nothing happened. No apologies, no acknowledging what just happened, just straight-up gaslight your bird. They seem to think that it wasn't really that bad since no-one else is frightened or upset and it if had been a Really Bad Thing everyone would be being nice to them.

Sounds kind of cruel I know, but it really reduced their shock and stress recovery time in my opinion.

Ever since I first saw you post this tip, it's exactly what we've been doing to Steve (and now Inko) after towelling them and filing their nails. Steve just stands about like "huh" for a moment and starts preening, Inko gets really loving confused and just sits and whines to himself for a while then goes to comfort eat. It works great