Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

nessin posted:

I registered on the wiki under the name "nessin", and my chat handle is Cladon@Nessin with my brand new Romulan Tactical Officer.

Jethro_E7 posted:

Too many options. If you were doing a "one off" investment into a set, or going to hit up $100-$150 or so, what would it be? I'm thinking going for the lifetime account, but no idea if the game will last long enough to make it worthwhile or whether I have the patience to sit there until the zen stipend adds up to something worthwhile.
And this is why cryptic is never going to fix the game. Despite the thread regulars making GBS threads on the current status of the game for months now, new players are still joining and spending money..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

g0del posted:

And this is why cryptic is never going to fix the game. Despite the thread regulars making GBS threads on the current status of the game for months now, new players are still joining and spending money..

His best bet is to save his money and buy a nice new watch.

No, I don't have a watch problem, I just like how they look. All 34 of them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BombermanX posted:

His best bet is to save his money and buy a nice new watch.

No, I don't have a watch problem, I just like how they look. All 34 of them.

Your arms must look like a Nomura character.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

SKY COQ posted:

You can totally de-Borg your character at the tailor if you like. You should make a new character though because Engineers are poo poo.

gently caress you man. :smith:

Asides total recreation, any way to make Engineers just less lovely?

VVVV: HAHAHAHAHA Oh HELL No

Malek fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 25, 2015

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Only play ground.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Which can be fun and profitable, and much easier to gear out than space.

Oh but it gives almost 0 exp so you'll never gain spec points. Cryptic's design philosophy is in the shape of a monkey paw.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Cryptic's design philosophy is in the shape of a monkey paw.

Actually its more like

And I know its only three pieces, but they just can't figure out how it fits together...

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
http://pastebin.com/QKFSFaEY
I was chilling at ds9, sitting on a table and this guy shows up. I don't know how bad someone trolled him, but he is loving pissed.

quote:

[2/25 9:47] [Tell] Erik Robby Beckett@dragoons2: i heard you losers got banned to death for being trolls
[2/25 9:48] [Tell] To Erik Robby Beckett@dragoons2: only 2 people and that was over 2 years ago
[2/25 9:48] [Tell] To Erik Robby Beckett@dragoons2: you cant stop us, nobody can! ahahahaha
[2/25 9:49] [Tell] Erik Robby Beckett@dragoons2: thts a lie and nerds like you only get too things..no respect and no sex

It was the lowest effort trolling I've ever done. I then tried to get zone chat to mess with him and triggered someone else:

quote:

[2/25 9:58] [Zone] Glutes@blueweak: he apparently still believes that having sex is a form of status and merit amongst the STO community
[2/25 9:59] [Zone] Glutes@blueweak: as a friend to the community, part of the world renowned Starfleet Dental, please steer clear of this troll
[2/25 9:59] [Zone #3] Ghidorah@timicin001: easy way to beat trolls, find a ford.
[2/25 9:59] [Zone] Glutes@blueweak: if he talks to you, please be wary of his constant attacks of sexual harassment
[2/25 10:00] [Zone] Glutes@blueweak: also, be sure to let him know you voted for obama, he hates that
[2/25 10:00] [Zone] Mr. Blue@jaydawg88: obama sucks mr troll
[2/25 10:02] [Zone] Glutes@blueweak: triggered
[2/25 10:03] [Zone #5] Vollucci@ukyo4: sorry pal, you lost me at Starfleet Dental

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 25, 2015

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Mondian posted:

Actually its more like

And I know its only three pieces, but they just can't figure out how it fits together...

God that pissed me off even as a kid.

Back on topic: I guess I'll just go with Tact ships, I still enjoy space combat and can outlast almost anything that is thrown at me but yeah, a review I read is right. Gotta avoid future Engineers.

BombermanX posted:

I was chilling at ds9, sitting on a table and this guy shows up. I don't know how bad someone trolled him, but he is loving pissed.

It was the lowest effort trolling I've ever done. I then tried to get zone chat to mess with him and triggered someone else:

[2/25 9:51] [System] [TicketCreated] Successfully submitted ticket ID #3,235,885.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
So I sold some superior beam upgrades on the exchange, and it sent the confirmation that they sold, but my EC hasn't updated. :cryptic:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

BombermanX posted:

Erik Bobby Beckett is an old Droz guy who was chased out before you were banned. He then started hanging out at Quark's until he was chased out multiple times. He absolutely despises dental.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

CAT BRUSH posted:

So I sold some superior beam upgrades on the exchange, and it sent the confirmation that they sold, but my EC hasn't updated. :cryptic:

Are you at the cap? The EC goes poof if you are.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Which can be fun and profitable, and much easier to gear out than space.

Oh but it gives almost 0 exp so you'll never gain spec points. Cryptic's design philosophy is in the shape of a monkey paw.
This is the saddest thing. Sure engineers are fun on ground, but so are everyone else. And ground matters even less than before DR since you'll never ever level off it. :geno:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah. There's an unannounced change on tribble which will probably be in tonight's patch: the reward boxes from patrol missions now have a one hour cooldown. Which means that if you want to grind specializations in patrols you're going to be making half as much over time. Hooray! But it's okay since the box now gives 200 dil too which totally makes the nerf worth it. :toot:

So yeah, if there's a few points you want to grind, tonight's a good time to finish it off. Supposedly the spec rewards from battlezones and a few other things is improved, but I would be highly surprised if it's noticeable or useful.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If I had to guess Nukara (under)ground is the closest thing to "decent" leveling for ground. The quests aren't hard and there's a lot of level 60 uh, lieutenant grade mobs that will give out more exp than regular trash. Kobali ground, though also sixty, is too spread apart and the quests are all random or irregularly repeatable.

Dyson would be ideal for getting at least some exp bit its still scaled to level 50.

Edit: queues aren't even noticeable and even grinding Nukara its more like a spec point every couple of days instead of one like...every two weeks

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 25, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. Ultimately, if you're "caught up" with specs already, it still won't be... too hard to keep up in the future. You'll probably max out a single spec from random queues and doff jobs in the two or three months before they add a new one.

Problem is if you're just starting now, or want to level specs on alts, or what have you, there's no loving way you can keep up. Klanks have it a little easier with the high-ticket doff jobs, but that's still a long term proposition at best and you won't keep up with later releases unless you're doing them every day with enough purple doffs to get high value crits.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Yeah. Ultimately, if you're "caught up" with specs already, it still won't be... too hard to keep up in the future. You'll probably max out a single spec from random queues and doff jobs in the two or three months before they add a new one.

Problem is if you're just starting now, or want to level specs on alts, or what have you, there's no loving way you can keep up. Klanks have it a little easier with the high-ticket doff jobs, but that's still a long term proposition at best and you won't keep up with later releases unless you're doing them every day with enough purple doffs to get high value crits.

:doh:

Well. Hopefully CCE will have enough rewards?

I've just hit 50 from running story missions fed side. Hit it just after finishing Boldly They THIS IS KURLAND so I've still got the Brog/Undine, Breen, Sphere and Delta arcs to get to 60.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
That'll probably get you to 52. Maybe 53. Enjoy the grind.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
gently caress me

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Your bridge or mine?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Mondian posted:

Are you at the cap? The EC goes poof if you are.

No where near the cap.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

SKY COQ posted:

:doh:

Well. Hopefully CCE will have enough rewards?

I've just hit 50 from running story missions fed side. Hit it just after finishing Boldly They THIS IS KURLAND so I've still got the Brog/Undine, Breen, Sphere and Delta arcs to get to 60.
I'm too lazy to look for the post now, but someone on the official forums tried to level an alt to 60 by doing story missions, and timed how long it took. It took him around 30 hours to hit 50, and another 70+ hours to get to 59, and he didn't have enough story missions left to get to 60. Also, he ground out half a level doing Argala patrol missions somewhere in the late 50's, so he really should have been lower.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

g0del posted:

I'm too lazy to look for the post now, but someone on the official forums tried to level an alt to 60 by doing story missions, and timed how long it took. It took him around 30 hours to hit 50, and another 70+ hours to get to 59, and he didn't have enough story missions left to get to 60. Also, he ground out half a level doing Argala patrol missions somewhere in the late 50's, so he really should have been lower.

This is about right, as I finished leveling up Mirror Inaji after DR was released, hit 50 somewhere early to middle of Cardassian arc and got as far as oh, 58 or so doing missions after that and I still needed to do argala to finish. I mean, that's better than starting DR at fifty and playing stop and go through the content I guess.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Don't forget, after the patch you'll need to wait half an hour between patrol too! Which certainly won't make getting to 60 a colossal clusterfuck! :v:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

This is about right, as I finished leveling up Mirror Inaji after DR was released, hit 50 somewhere early to middle of Cardassian arc and got as far as oh, 58 or so doing missions after that and I still needed to do argala to finish. I mean, that's better than starting DR at fifty and playing stop and go through the content I guess.

At least with today's changes I'll be able to do Tau Dewa patrols and grind Romulan rep at the same time.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

SKY COQ posted:

At least with today's changes I'll be able to do Tau Dewa patrols and grind Romulan rep at the same time.

You always could, you just needed to accept the wrapper mission which was good for 60 marks + the daily bonus. Although doing a single patrol once a day for 10 + the daily bonus is a little bit nicer. Also less time gating if you need a bunch of romulan marks right now for some reason.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Klankrom supremacy. My spec points come from an endless tide of dead Gorn :smug:

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

Malek posted:

[2/25 9:51] [System] [TicketCreated] Successfully submitted ticket ID #3,235,885.

I gotta troll along all lines. Even the legal ones.

DonDoodles posted:

Erik Bobby Beckett is an old Droz guy who was chased out before you were banned. He then started hanging out at Quark's until he was chased out multiple times. He absolutely despises dental.

Yeah his name is very familiar. Guy absolutely despises me. Poison Ivey@WraithRaptor was probably his only friend.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

Don't forget, after the patch you'll need to wait half an hour between patrol too! Which certainly won't make getting to 60 a colossal clusterfuck! :v:

Is there something to offset this or did they just make grinding spec points a flight of fancy.

Like from a design standpoint, cooldowns on patrols is more ... elegant, but with out significant boosts to queues or other sources of exp that's like a huge dump on players.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
They increased the xp for finishing queues. I doubt it'll be a huge increase though and good luck actually finishing a pug.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

-Troika- posted:

Klankrom supremacy. My spec points come from an endless tide of dead Gorn :smug:

this

the gorn will never be free

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hakimashou posted:

this

the gorn will never be free

Ironic, my crew's all Gorn

but gently caress it I'm gonna be a race traitor

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

They increased the xp for finishing queues. I doubt it'll be a huge increase though and good luck actually finishing a pug.
It's about three times what it was before.

So still like a third of an Argala run. :effort:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

Also responds well to questions about his alarmingly direct approach to animal husbandry.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

quote:

Borg Neural Processors have been added as a once per day reward to the following missions on the Defera Invasion Zone: Modus Operandi, Getting to the Bottom of Things, Uninvited Guests, Counter Offensive
Ancient Power Cells have been added as a once per day reward to the following missions on the Kobali Prime Adventure Zone: At the Gates, The Last Stand

Oh whow, a marked improvement. Nevermind you can be getting five of those kind of marks every thirty minutes by doing the Undine and Dyson battlezones.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I made a thread to celebrate them removing grinding from STO like the people wanted. By time gating argala.

And several people already have piped in that this won't stop them from grinding, because they can park alts at argala and switch toons to grind it.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22515991&postcount=45

rgzarcher;22515991 posted:

Correction, its locked for that ONE character. I've already got all of my characters sitting in front of Argala, run it once, then switch to the next and run it. By the time my last character has run it the CD for the first is finished.

Just have to look at it from a different angle is all lol. Sure there is an additional 30 seconds of load time and I have to click three additional buttons now between runs, but nothing too big ;)

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 26, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I have a hard time believing anyone that mentally Ill still has spec points left to be grinded out.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Berke Negri posted:

I have a hard time believing anyone that mentally Ill still has spec points left to be grinded out.

You can make 52 toons per account.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

hakimashou posted:

You can make 52 toons per account.

How mentally ill do you have to be to enjoy any part of this game, besides the playerbase? The playerbase is fun to play because we are all perfectly. normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BombermanX posted:

How mentally ill do you have to be to enjoy any part of this game, besides the playerbase? The playerbase is fun to play because we are all perfectly. normal.

I like shooting spaceships and this is a pretty low effort game to do that in.

• Locked thread