Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
having adblock on phone is good, requiring adblock because your phone has built-in ads is just :lol:

Jenny Agutter posted:

people accept ads on their cable they pay $150/mo for, we are extremely conditioned for it

even better now that smart tvs are showing their own ads. cant wait until some tv manufacturer gets in poo poo for displaying their own ads over commercials :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

having adblock on phone is good, requiring adblock because your phone has built-in ads is just :lol:

even better now that smart tvs are showing their own ads. cant wait until some tv manufacturer gets in poo poo for displaying their own ads over commercials :haw:

that’s practically what tivo started doing, showing pre roll ads while letting you skip commercials

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
my pixel 3 doesn't charge via usb unless I hold the cable in tight

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
cleaned out your port?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Forums Medic posted:

my pixel 3 doesn't charge via usb unless I hold the cable in tight

anroid copying Apple again

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I think I’m done with google music services. most of the playlists in YouTube music are YouTube video playlists with half the songs dcmad and the rest in dogshit quality, there are very few curated playlists, the algorithm sucks. loving infuriating they took away google play music for this poo poo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

I think I’m done with google music services. most of the playlists in YouTube music are YouTube video playlists with half the songs dcmad and the rest in dogshit quality, there are very few curated playlists, the algorithm sucks. loving infuriating they took away google play music for this poo poo

its absolute poo poo

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
in other music news, my dongle seems to have stopped working so I can no longer listen to the music on my telephone in my motor vehicle.

i got it a year ago along with the Pixel 4

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's always a sad day when your dongle stops working. Don't worry, millions of people have that problem every year. You aren't alone friend. :unsmith:

My dongle has always worked perfectly. :smug:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
today i got a notification about new music that was released because the band name was the same as one that i had liked.

incredible what big data can do

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

crepeface posted:

today i got a notification about new music that was released because the band name was the same as one that i had liked.

incredible what big data can do

discogs turned 20 recently and i think they solved that problem more than a decade ago

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol, last year i updated my car radio to one that does carplay and anroid auto, but have only ever used it with carplay, i installed it myself and its been fine for almost a year

was visiting family and was kind of curious what the anroid auto looks like, connected my aunt's phone, anroid auto refused to do anything because the parking brake didnt appear to be on, i didnt think i missed any wires when connecting anything, i guess i would need to ground that wire instead

apparently no way to bypass that either

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lysidas posted:

lol, last year i updated my car radio to one that does carplay and anroid auto, but have only ever used it with carplay, i installed it myself and its been fine for almost a year

was visiting family and was kind of curious what the anroid auto looks like, connected my aunt's phone, anroid auto refused to do anything because the parking brake didnt appear to be on, i didnt think i missed any wires when connecting anything, i guess i would need to ground that wire instead

apparently no way to bypass that either

sounds like that head unit is a piece of poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
many head units enforce that you’re not moving via the parking brake line. any competent installer knows to ground that line so that it’s always “parked”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

many head units enforce that you’re not moving via the parking brake line. any competent installer knows to ground that line so that it’s always “parked”

i expect this would be standard practice simply because 80% of americans don't use their parking brake and are probably not aware of its existence

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it was agony watching someone try to back a car out while the parking brake was on. the car would just lurch a little

it took several "why car no go" before the idiot in the drivers seat disengaged the brake

people are idiots

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it’s much harder to dis/engage a parking brake now that they’re all button toggles. no way to confuse a pedal or handle between on and off

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
this one was a pedal, for the record

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jenny Agutter posted:

it’s much harder to dis/engage a parking brake now that they’re all button toggles. no way to confuse a pedal or handle between on and off

all the electronic ones I’ve seen disengage automatically when you start moving. most of them also engage automatically when you turn the engine off

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Soricidus posted:

all the electronic ones I’ve seen disengage automatically when you start moving. most of them also engage automatically when you turn the engine off

my 2018 civic does neither.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

The Management posted:

wtf, so if you had a passenger, they can't use it unless you're parked?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

crepeface posted:

yup

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

crepeface posted:

yes. that is how automakers do it for touchscreen devices.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

have you not been in a car for the last decade?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Management posted:

yeah, the alpine receiver I put in my car expects you to do some kind of brake-on-brake-off song and dance to get into the settings menu. I could never get it to work (probably because I am bad at things) so I bought a little circuit kit off ebay that sends it the proper signal automatically and now I can bluetooth in a moving vehicle

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

google begins the long slow process of ruining google photos

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/11/07/google-photos-tests-putting-editing-features-behind-a-paywall/

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

LastInLine posted:

have you not been in a car for the last decade?

i'm pretty sure they're not like that in australia, unless every single one had the wire grounded or whatever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

i'm pretty sure they're not like that in australia, unless every single one had the wire grounded or whatever.

youre correct its an american regulation

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Instead of focusing on what would benefit consumers, mmWave on the Pixel 5 seems to be a manifestation of Google's inexplicable fealty to US cellular carriers. Android Police spoke to the Pixel team ahead of launch about mmWave and were basically told, "The carriers wanted it." Sure enough, Google's deal with the devil has earned it a spot on Verizon's homepage, while customers get stuck with the bill. Including mmWave in a midrange phone is an anti-consumer choice designed to make Verizon happy and no one else, plain and simple.

For calls, you want to normally hold the phone with the top edge to your ear, but that's not where the speaker is anymore. So while you can still hear it, the actual sweet spot seems like it's about at the 20 percent mark from the top of the display. It's awkwardly low on the phone. The volume and quality are fine for phone calls, but "under the display" is an odd spot for a speaker that is normally at the very top of the phone.

For media audio, the under-display speaker is worthless, and the Pixel 5 speaker setup is basically mono. Yes, it technically has two speakers, and they technically both put out sound, but it is about a 90/10 split. If you cover the normal, bottom-firing speaker, the sound almost completely goes away, with only a tinny, impotent buzzing coming from the under-display speaker. The Pixel 4, which has two normal speakers, sounds much better and louder, and even the Pixel 4a achieves about the same volume while turning in higher-quality stereo sound. The Pixel 5 speaker is just awful for media.

Our unit has a small gap around the perimeter that doesn't look damaging to the water resistance, but it's annoyingly already collecting crud and will need to be cleaned out with a toothbrush or something.

Before the launch, we sounded the alarm that this will lead to some awkward comparisons year-over-year, since the Pixel 5 will be slower than the Pixel 4. Now that we've run some benchmarks, it's actually way worse than we imagined. The Pixel 5 is not only slower than the Pixel 4—Google throttled the chipset so much that at times it's slower than the Pixel 4a, which only has a Snapdragon 730. Google's $700 2020 phone is slower than its $350 2020 phone.

For the main camera sensor, the Pixel 5 uses the Sony IMX363, a four-year-old sensor that Google has previously used in the Pixel 3 and 4 (and a basically identical older revision, the IMX362, was used in the Pixel 2). Using a four-year-old camera sensor feels like a really cheap move on Google's part, and in terms of hardware, the company's camera sensor is inferior to just about every comparable phone on the market. Today the IMX363 can be found in bottom-of-the-barrel budget phones, like the Redmi 8A, which costs $87. Here, Google is shipping it as the primary sensor in a $700 smartphone.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Encrypted posted:

Instead of focusing on what would benefit consumers, mmWave on the Pixel 5 seems to be a manifestation of Google's inexplicable fealty to US cellular carriers. Android Police spoke to the Pixel team ahead of launch about mmWave and were basically told, "The carriers wanted it." Sure enough, Google's deal with the devil has earned it a spot on Verizon's homepage, while customers get stuck with the bill. Including mmWave in a midrange phone is an anti-consumer choice designed to make Verizon happy and no one else, plain and simple.

For calls, you want to normally hold the phone with the top edge to your ear, but that's not where the speaker is anymore. So while you can still hear it, the actual sweet spot seems like it's about at the 20 percent mark from the top of the display. It's awkwardly low on the phone. The volume and quality are fine for phone calls, but "under the display" is an odd spot for a speaker that is normally at the very top of the phone.

For media audio, the under-display speaker is worthless, and the Pixel 5 speaker setup is basically mono. Yes, it technically has two speakers, and they technically both put out sound, but it is about a 90/10 split. If you cover the normal, bottom-firing speaker, the sound almost completely goes away, with only a tinny, impotent buzzing coming from the under-display speaker. The Pixel 4, which has two normal speakers, sounds much better and louder, and even the Pixel 4a achieves about the same volume while turning in higher-quality stereo sound. The Pixel 5 speaker is just awful for media.

Our unit has a small gap around the perimeter that doesn't look damaging to the water resistance, but it's annoyingly already collecting crud and will need to be cleaned out with a toothbrush or something.

Before the launch, we sounded the alarm that this will lead to some awkward comparisons year-over-year, since the Pixel 5 will be slower than the Pixel 4. Now that we've run some benchmarks, it's actually way worse than we imagined. The Pixel 5 is not only slower than the Pixel 4—Google throttled the chipset so much that at times it's slower than the Pixel 4a, which only has a Snapdragon 730. Google's $700 2020 phone is slower than its $350 2020 phone.

For the main camera sensor, the Pixel 5 uses the Sony IMX363, a four-year-old sensor that Google has previously used in the Pixel 3 and 4 (and a basically identical older revision, the IMX362, was used in the Pixel 2). Using a four-year-old camera sensor feels like a really cheap move on Google's part, and in terms of hardware, the company's camera sensor is inferior to just about every comparable phone on the market. Today the IMX363 can be found in bottom-of-the-barrel budget phones, like the Redmi 8A, which costs $87. Here, Google is shipping it as the primary sensor in a $700 smartphone.

That’s a whole lotta :words: with which to say “:lol:, Android”?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
google hardware

lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ngl very concerned about the stereo separation of the speakers on my next phone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

The Good

The flat display is an improvement over distorted curved display phones.
3 years of day-one updates.
Minimal crapware.

The Bad

Terrible speakers.
A very throttled SoC.
It's expensive. You can get 120Hz, higher-end devices for a similar price.
Lots of variance in the fit and finish.

The Ugly

If Google didn't bow down to the carriers and skipped out on mmWave, this phone would probably have been $50-$100 cheaper

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

google hardware

lmao
lomarf

year after year, theyre so bad at it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
jfc google

my pixel 3a is okay except the battery is too smol

instead of iterating on that solid base, google decided to just completely poo poo the bed two generations in a row in completely different ways. that takes dedication

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

lomarf

in innovative new ways too. always on the cutting edge of terrible garbage

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FMguru posted:

lomarf

pixel 3 generation was actually pretty good - reasonable hardware, price and not too big, don't know why they deviated from that.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

it was more or less the same story with nexuses's

expect announcement of revolutionary google lomarf phones after the pixel line is scrapped.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

where is this copied from? it has some sentences lifted directly from the ars article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

pixel 3 generation was actually pretty good - reasonable hardware, price and not too big, don't know why they deviated from that.

people lost their mind over the notch. i would say “a multitude of assorted software and hardware issues” but that’s par for the course wrt google hardware so.