Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

awesmoe posted:

I would be so loving happy if there was a vn thread and a separate games thread

There is a VN thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705885

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ImpAtom posted:

... You do know CDP owns GOG.com right? Also they get tremendous tax breaks and have a lower operating cost and a number of other factors which make trying to paint them as some plucky indie company pretty laughable.

Witcher 3's development team is larger than Skyrim and FO3's put together from what I recall.
Sure, but the comparison was to Bethesda, who owns several other studios as well as themselves through a billion-dollar shell company. CDP absolutely do not have the resources and money that Bethesda has access to, regardless of how much Bethesda has been trying to talk up about how few people they had working on Fallout 4.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ghostlight posted:

Sure, but the comparison was to Bethesda, who owns several other studios as well as themselves through a billion-dollar shell company. CDP absolutely do not have the resources and money that Bethesda has access to, regardless of how much Bethesda has been trying to talk up about how few people they had working on Fallout 4.
Also CD Projekt have been doing nothing but improving over the years, just compare Witcher 1 to 3, its a dramatic improvement. Bethesda has been pumping out really buggy games and having the fans do the work for them since Oblivion (And I actually liked Oblivion), people are just tired of it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Accordion Man posted:

people are just tired of it.
apparently not based on the number of people i am seeing playing it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Awesome! posted:

apparently not based on the number of people i am seeing playing it
Lest we forget Boycott COD MW 2.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so really bethesda has zero motivation to improve their games since people still buy them at launch and have them fixed up with mods within a month

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Awesome! posted:

so really bethesda has zero motivation to improve their games since people still buy them at launch and have them fixed up with mods within a month
Yup.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Awesome! posted:

And will eventually be additionally charging players for access to those mods.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

That one doesn't allow for saucy VNs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea i mean its enough for me to not touch their games with a 10 foot pole but i hope those that buy the game enjoy it still which they seem to be overall.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Jamfrost posted:

People abused the last VN thread that allowed folks to talk about the 18+ games so we're trying to avoid that particular fate this time.

To be fair the folks in the last VN thread were talking about some horrifyingly disgusting stuff in conversational tones so it's probably better this way.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Ragequit posted:

Which area? I don't recall that. I was able to backtrack everywhere and 100% the game.

The second dungeon area. There's also another bit after that that ends with a rock dropping down to block off the area just before it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm gonna get fallout on sale and enjoy it. :smug: :smug: :smug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jamfrost posted:

because when they did allow for it, everyone got permabanned

I wanna make an ace attorney style game someday but I dont know if you can do that in Renpy or whatever

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wanna make an ace attorney style game someday but I dont know if you can do that in Renpy or whatever

It's doable but might be a bit challenging depending on how deep you want a case to be. Script flags can be a real pain in the rear end in that to test. A similar tip: don't use the sold-on-Steam "Tyranobuilder: Visual Novel Creator", because its output is buggy as poo poo if you try doing anything beyond the basic "keep clicking, occasionally make a choice" decision, the only game I've seen use it that tried for a non-standard UI ended up making it impossible to save past a certain point because the icon vanished forever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Quest For Glory II posted:

There are several straight up Phoenix wright fangame makers

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. Bethesda deserves the complaints but I've seen almost none of this. You also don't see remotely this same level of criticism applied to other games. Witcher 3 was absolutely filled with major glitches and people laughed over them instead of demanding how awful it is that CDP didn't fix them before launch, despite them being a company who arguably has more money and resources that Bethesda does and having two similarly janky games under their belt.

I don't see anyone in this thread really strongly complaining about Fallout 4's bugs, maybe there's some incredulity but mostly people think it's funny that Bethesda game releases are so consistently incompetent. But those same posters who are laughing at Fallout 4 jumped all over anyone who complained about Witcher 3's bugs

It's interesting how Bethesda has managed to so effectively lower expectations without their bottom line suffering too much

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDflVhOpS4E

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

mutata posted:

I'm gonna get fallout on sale and enjoy it. :smug: :smug: :smug:

You can get it for 20% off using the voucher at GMG. Knocks off 12 bucks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You can get Fallout4 for $40 steamcode through Nuuvem. The Real is 26% of a Dollar.

-edit: oops, nope. It's at $48 now.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 12, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

You can get it for 20% off using the voucher at GMG. Knocks off 12 bucks.

Yeah but PC games aren't supposed to be more than $50 so the discount is actually only $2

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
That doesn't include the other half of the game (the season pass) so I'll wait till both of those are around, or under, 60

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Morter posted:

That doesn't include the other half of the game (the season pass) so I'll wait till both of those are around, or under, 60

What do you think we are looking at for the thanksgiving sale? Nothing or 25%? Or the Holiday/New Years sale at the earliest?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can't wait to get FO4 GOTY edition for $40 for Xmas sale 2016.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

depends how well it is selling

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Just buy New Vegas again since that game had an actual game designer involved

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Guys, guys...

DMC: Devil May Cry is so good. Haven't had this much fun in a game in a while.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYV8Y9Ywh8

lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

singateco posted:

Just buy New Vegas again since that game had an actual game designer involved

New Vegas is still bad because it's built on a bad engine. Buy something made on a good engine instead, like Witcher 3, anything made by FromSoftware, or any of the Shadowrun games

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2C6oTyHpsg

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This Fallout vs Witcher discussion is some prime Star Trek vs Star Wars level of unimportant discussion.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

New Vegas is still bad because it's built on a bad engine. Buy something made on a good engine instead, like Witcher 3, anything made by FromSoftware, or any of the Shadowrun games

Or MGSV :allears:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Now there is a guy who knows how to have fun playing games. Take note, Steam goons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

video games are important

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

also, good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

There are several straight up Phoenix wright fangame makers
yea I know but I'd want to do things a little differently, not straight up duplicate it

i wanna have a 'thought' system like resonance

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

This Fallout vs Witcher discussion is some prime Star Trek vs Star Wars level of unimportant discussion.

what games are stargate and lexx in this analogy because they're my favorites already

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Light Gun Man posted:

what games are stargate and lexx in this analogy because they're my favorites already

GTA & Saint's Row

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXeKW4N_7U4 i love this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Witcher 3 wins since it has hot video game girls.

• Locked thread