Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ahhhh I'm trying to rack my brain, i don't think you're bang on but there's *something* like that that caused a problem with them being able to sign. I'm sure the dude who isn't Scott from EW (the one with the account here) wrote about it. I think there was a long open letter thing he wrote in response to criticism and he talked about that and the Pepsi thing. Unless I"m combining two separate things.

The Pepsi thing was from the CBB thread:

jeffullrich posted:

Here is the previously untold story of Pepsi Next...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

feedmyleg posted:

I can't imagine that's the case. A lot of the CBB characters have been part of the comics acts for years, and I've heard others show up on podcasts on other networks, like Don Dimello on Superego.

I think earwolf has some sort of ownership stake in their pod casts but I could be wrong. Thats different than most of the groups which generally take some portion of your income for promotion / studio use etc. but don't own any part of the show. However there's no way they own any of the characters people are doing & most of what people do on like cbb predate their appearance on the pod cast anyways. Though I'll look forwards to the case of Ear Wolf Media v. Televisions Vince Gilligan over the ownership of the "Saul Goodman" character. I assume that's why he's called Jimmy in the new show.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I was under the impression they don't own the characters unless they actually sign the papers to run a show on the network. This is why Kroll can use all of his characters on his tv show, for instance.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I had never heard of this, so I'd be interested to see where anyone had learned of this, but that sounds kinda crummy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think the latest we heard about it was Cyberthug and Archer who canceled their show and had the archives pulled from the website. After like, months of questioning they said that they didn't like the contracts they were asked to sign. I don't know if anything more recent has come out as that was years and years ago.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If there were any issues between Cyber Thug and Earwolf, they put it behind them as they released a 3rd episode that you can buy on the store. I didn't know about it until ages after it was made. The original run was just 2 episodes.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Still baffled and fascinated by how much of Miles Archer is a real person.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
No comedian would ever do an Earwolf podcast if they had any type of claim over ownership of the content generated on their shows. They would immediately be boycotted out of existence if they tried something like that.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Nice

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Well

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Been

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Jism.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I don't like Silicon Valley but they were pretty funny :(

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Silicon Valley is actually very good and funny, as a matter of fact.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

A third opinion on Silicon Valley.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Alicia Witt! Gino! Victor! Tiny!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Alia from Dune on CBB? I could get used to this.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Alicia Witt is one of the most beautiful humans.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
You guys liked her on the show? I thought her "accent" or whatever was obnoxious. I thought her segment with Gino really dragged.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Victor being a huge "Dune" fan was a great revelation.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Man alica is really trying hard to be funny, but she just steps on gabrus and Brandon's feet all episode. It'd be a way better episode without her

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I thought she was great. Sure, I've had a crush on her ever since the Cybill days, but I'm sure that's irrelevant.
Was there really something weird about her accent? To my foreigner's ears it honestly sounded like a normal American accent.

Victor Diamond. I cannot get enough of that man.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
She sounds like someone with a southern accent trying not to have one.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Love Victor, Tiny and Gino but the chemistry with the singer songwriter didn't really jive with me.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

FordPRefectLL posted:

She sounds like someone with a southern accent trying not to have one.

Or someone who went to too many dialect coaching workshops and now over-pronounces everything.

edit: Wikipedia says she's from Worcester. I believe my hunch is correct.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Zsinjeh posted:

Love Victor, Tiny and Gino but the chemistry with the singer songwriter didn't really jive with me.

I wish Scott would stop inviting on these singer songwriter types. We're here for the jokes, not the songs, Mr. Auckerman.

edit: Unless the songs are by "Weird" Al or Corky and the Juice Pigs, then I could understand

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I thought everyone was good. I don't know.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I thought she was fine, and even if she wasn't it was a Victor and Tiny episode so it wouldn't have mattered unless she was Hana Mae Lee level bad.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Not only a Victor and Tiny episode but a Gino episode too. Two of the new favorites.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I didn't actually listen but seriously she was in Dune, lifetime pass. My brother is coming!

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Punch Card posted:

I thought everyone was good. I don't know.

I did too. Everytime there's a non-comedian guest a few people get bent out of shape about whether they're funny or not. As if that person cancels out the 2 or 3 comedians also on the episode making funny jokes the whole time. Even if the non-comedian guests aren't particularly funny, they very, very rarely detract from the show in my opinion.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

She seemed to play into them well too even, don't know what folks coming down on it are seeing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
They brought up a good point at the beginning. I need a battle of the intern ep.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

kdrudy posted:

She seemed to play into them well too even, don't know what folks coming down on it are seeing.

They must be part of House Harkonnen

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
She felt too overbearing to me, I didn't mind the last few singers. She kept interrupting geno/tiny being funny with stories/quips/suggestions that werent funny and didn't jive very well imo. That whole first interview section was torture too. geno and tiny/victor are two of my favorites and the episode wasnt ruined or anything but I thought she just got in the way. I didn't realise most people here have a crush on her though I've never seen dune.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I like it when there are non-comedian guests because it's good when someone who hasn't sunk thousands of dollars on improv classes comes and acts like a normal person.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I think her being a boring, directionless musician was a far worse offense. She did fine, was obviously a super polished actress who was always on. But they couldn't even let a song stand on its own, had to talk over it.

But despite all that, this was a great ep. Victor and Tiny were the best they've been since their debut.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just more evidence of Scott's terrible taste in music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

feedmyleg posted:

Just more evidence of Scott's terrible taste in music.

You Talkin' U2 to Me is enough proof of Scott's terrible taste in music. :colbert: