Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Everyone peep this hot take on lifting from someone in the D&D Trump thread during a derail:
it’s like 80% right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
*Unless you're a competitive athlete, the only functional purpose of exercise is to induce muscle growth to maximize your lean mass.

This guy has never heard of cardio I guess? Sorry thread for mentioning it, but it's a thing you know. A few days ago I had to sprint to catch a train, and did, and wasn't even out of breath after. I attribute this to doing 100 40kg kettlebell swings on most days.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Having hobbies in general and that hobby being working out specifically also has some pretty significant mental health benefits but D&D posters probably don't know much about that

Khorne
May 1, 2002

doverhog posted:

This guy has never heard of cardio I guess? Sorry thread for mentioning it, but it's a thing you know. A few days ago I had to sprint to catch a train, and did, and wasn't even out of breath after. I attribute this to doing 100 40kg kettlebell swings on most days.
I really want to do cardio, but I really don't have the time right now. I have a big hiking trip coming up this summer and I overshot my weight gain goals. To a comical degree. Combined with not doing cardio, this is going to be a recipe for disaster. The only saving grace is that some other people on the trip are probably way more out of shape so comparatively I should do fine.

Also, cardio makes you better at lifting weights. It's an unfortunate half-truth.

feelix posted:

Having hobbies in general and that hobby being working out specifically also has some pretty significant mental health benefits but D&D posters probably don't know much about that
The biggest benefits of lifting as a hobby:

• It's not very time consuming. You're committing 2-8 hours per week to being at the gym. There are severe diminishing returns to spending more than that.
  • It makes you look better
  • It makes you function better physically
  • It improves mental well being
  • It gives you a schedule which helps immensely imo
  • It influences your eating and helps in controlling body weight and composition
  • It can be a solitary or social activity
  • There's no actual culture around it and it's practiced by diverse groups with similarly diverse goals
  • Cost to buy in is ~$35/mo USD and you can wear worn out old clothing
  • It teaches you to put in effort over time and that you'll see results even if you can't see them week to week
  • It's almost impossible to fail to make progress
  • It encourages you to sleep adequately at night

The downsides are that sometimes you get minor aches and pains that go away within a week or two. Very rarely you'll get something that lasts a few weeks and mostly only keeps you from your hobby while not effecting day to day life. It's probably one of the lowest injury rate sports out there. I've injured myself more times walking up and down stairs in the past 2 years than I have going to the gym. And don't even get me started on shoveling snow.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 7, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Khorne posted:

I really want to do cardio, but I really don't have the time right now.

lmao

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Everyone peep this hot take on lifting from someone in the D&D Trump thread during a derail:

While he’s extremely wrong about “you only need to exercise for lean mass”, the rest seems straight out of the Mike Mentzer High Intensity protocols and supposedly Dorian Yates proved conclusively it works, I’m currently trying it and it seems to work(have only worked out once a week for the past few weeks, no loss in strength but definitely more fat)

My conclusion is he’s probably an idiot anyway

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

While he’s extremely wrong about “you only need to exercise for lean mass”, the rest seems straight out of the Mike Mentzer High Intensity protocols and supposedly Dorian Yates proved conclusively it works, I’m currently trying it and it seems to work(have only worked out once a week for the past few weeks, no loss in strength but definitely more fat)

My conclusion is he’s probably an idiot anyway

How does "no loss in strength" lead to "seems to work"?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Gotta work on that booty Poppin for tha club.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

UnfurledSails posted:

How does "no loss in strength" lead to "seems to work"?

I figured training a body part once every week for 1-2 sets would lead to loss of strength but no, I got stronger in a couple of exercises

Edit: actually its not even a set per week, I’m working out each body part about once every 2-3 weeks
going to the gym once every 5-7 days

Can’t say I’ve gotten bigger, I feel fatter mostly but I eat a lot of junk

I think I’ll start doing yoga on the off days because it’s weird not doing anything

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 7, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Benched 3 reps of 290 last night. And completed OHP for 3x12 at 125 for the first time. I'm so freaking fat, strong now.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 8, 2018

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Nice, I'm currently the leanest I've ever been since I started lifting years ago, now to actually pack on muscle in a more sensible way (lol yeah right).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

Benched 3 reps of 290 last night. And completed OHP for 3x12 at 125 for the first time. I'm so freaking fat, strong now.

congrats on your salami gains

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Chinatown posted:

congrats on your salami gains

i think i have that angle covered

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Anyone see the new rogue ad? Its goosebumps material even if u watched the Classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M04f7hdBWko

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 10, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Just wanna say 35lb plates are bullshit and I don’t know why my gym has them piled everywhere but I need to go on a scavenger hunt to find a 5.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
35s are awesome because they make you look way stronger than using a 25+10

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

35s are awesome because they make you look way stronger than using a 25+10

i find them useful the problem is people take ALL THE 5s or 10s for stupid bullshit

saw a dude recently doing precher curls with 5 10s on each side. why

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chinatown posted:

i find them useful the problem is people take ALL THE 5s or 10s for stupid bullshit

Easy way to calculate the weight?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Easy way to calculate the weight?

STOP TAKING ALL THE 10s U rear end in a top hat!!!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I wish I had his gusto for training still

A joie de lift, if you will

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chinatown posted:

STOP TAKING ALL THE 10s U rear end in a top hat!!!!

i submitted BUY MORE 5KG WEIGHTS in my gym's comment box every time I went in for a few months and eventually they capitulated

i've now moved onto suggesting they replaced the smith machines with power racks but no luck as of yet)

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

gently caress yeah got my thighchafe on- the beast is back baby. The beast is back

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm hitting the "poo poo's getting really hard" point in my beginner progression so I'm trying to focus on my nutrition a whole lot better. Adding 15 pounds a week to every lift is becoming a grind, but I expected to kind of run into a rough spot. My muscles aren't really giving out during the lifts, it's just that I'm having to breathe a lot harder and it feels like I'm having more taken out of me each set.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Ya that’ll happen. Remember to deload when you fail a few times in a row

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chinatown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47t0NtU5FoQ

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Today is supposed to be a deload day in 5/3/1 (squat) but I can't be bothered to go to all the effort of going to the gym just for that.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
More often than not I just spend deload week not doing anything. It's worked out so far.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/50cent/status/994409437442998274?s=19

Gains are stored in the balls

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh poo poo is blowing a load after a workout really a hindrance because if so that might explain my lack of gains

Thing is I always get all hard and horny after a workout :gizz:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

dantheman650 posted:

Just wanna say 35lb plates are bullshit and I don’t know why my gym has them piled everywhere but I need to go on a scavenger hunt to find a 5.

Jeremy Hamilton's gym doesn't have a single 35lb plate in it because of this mindset. I never once missed 35s when training there.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

lizardman posted:

Oh poo poo is blowing a load after a workout really a hindrance because if so that might explain my lack of gains

Liface wrote a thread about it about a decade ago if you have archives.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Today is supposed to be a deload day in 5/3/1 (squat) but I can't be bothered to go to all the effort of going to the gym just for that.
Luckily my 5/3/1 deload matched with me getting super sick, so I have no guilt in laying around in bed all day while I was supposed to be deadlifting.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

lizardman posted:

Wasting a lot of chakras, man.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Do it u slag, deloading helps your recovery

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

dont trigger me

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'll deload and jerk off tomorrow.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dum Cumpster posted:

Liface wrote a thread about it about a decade ago if you have archives.
jesus that’s a name i haven’t seen in awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

lizardman posted:

No. You get gains for a decent period after, and a few hours after you jerk off your test level actually spikes up to higher than normal.

Like many other things, the real answer is "it doesn't matter".