Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, you're right, what we really need to do is spend more public money on subsidizing Boeing. They've really gotten the short end of the stick.

Hello, I'm Mr. Boeing and I'm here to lobby for free money. You might find it strange that I post on the dead gay forums we know as Something Awful, but it's quite true; here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

marxismftw posted:

Sure, no one uses it, except for it being the busiest stretch of road managed by the city.
Is anyone saying no one uses the bridge...? Or are you talking about some stretch of road between the West Seattle Bridge and Georgetown?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Hello, I'm Mr. Boeing and I'm here to lobby for free money. You might find it strange that I post on the dead gay forums we know as Something Awful, but it's quite true; here I am.
I'd have a lot more respect if I thought you were getting paid to do it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just don't understand how myopic your thought process must be to say "yeah let's loving abandon this entire stretch of land because the company that inhabits 85% of it is leaving anyway! gently caress em!"

If Boeing leaves they don't roll the land up like a carpet and take it with them you dopes. That is still usable land (a lot of which should probably be given to native peoples).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I just don't understand how myopic your thought process must be to say "yeah let's loving abandon this entire stretch of land because the company that inhabits 85% of it is leaving anyway! gently caress em!"

If Boeing leaves they don't roll the land up like a carpet and take it with them you dopes. That is still usable land (a lot of which should probably be given to native peoples).
I'm not sure how you made the logical jump from "rebuilding the West Seattle bridge is a bad idea" to "clearly we need to condemn Boeing Field and forever forbid another human from setting foot on it."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I'm not sure how you made the logical jump from "rebuilding the West Seattle bridge is a bad idea" to "clearly we need to condemn Boeing Field and forever forbid another human from setting foot on it."

I said people commute to Boeing field from west Seattle (and all over really) and you said "haha gently caress Boeing" like that was reason enough not to make it easier to get to BFI.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Is anyone saying no one uses the bridge...? Or are you talking about some stretch of road between the West Seattle Bridge and Georgetown?

That was the insinuation, right? That the West Seattle Bridge's primary purpose is a tax payer funded handout to Boeing, a company which has a relatively small workforce in South Seattle (as opposed to other Boeing facilities in the region, and compared to a wide variety of other industrial employers in the area).

It's also the busiest stretch of bus traffic in the city (outside of downtown).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

marxismftw posted:

That was the insinuation, right? That the West Seattle Bridge's primary purpose is a tax payer funded handout to Boeing, a company which has a relatively small workforce in South Seattle (as opposed to other Boeing facilities in the region, and compared to a wide variety of other industrial employers in the area).

It's also the busiest stretch of bus traffic in the city (outside of downtown).
That certainly wasn't what I was insinuating, just shooting it down as a good reason to rebuild it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I've only been to Seattle twice but what I remember of it is that it was difficult to navigate and there was a lot of people.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I'd have a lot more respect if I thought you were getting paid to do it.

If you were any more anti-worker, you'd have to incorporate yourself. Get hosed, moron.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

I said people commute to Boeing field from west Seattle (and all over really) and you said "haha gently caress Boeing" like that was reason enough not to make it easier to get to BFI.

You said people commute to Boeing field after multiple people made multiple posts that explicitly were stating that making it easier for people to commute was actively a bad thing, what the hell sort of response did you think you were going to get.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

reignonyourparade posted:

You said people commute to Boeing field after multiple people made multiple posts that explicitly were stating that making it easier for people to commute was actively a bad thing, what the hell sort of response did you think you were going to get.

Dude this is a person who works at Boeing have you interacted with Boeing employees?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In good news, Tim Eyman will stand trial today for all of his money laundering:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/after-years-of-preamble-tim-eymans-trial-begins-could-it-mean-the-end-of-his-initiatives/

If he gets hosed, it could mean the end of his lovely initiatives.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

seiferguy posted:

In good news, Tim Eyman will stand trial today for all of his money laundering:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/after-years-of-preamble-tim-eymans-trial-begins-could-it-mean-the-end-of-his-initiatives/

If he gets hosed, it could mean the end of his lovely initiatives.

You mean a freedom fighters quest for justice and to liberate enslaved office chairs will be ended by a corrupt system.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
I used to live under the West Seattle Bridge on Harbor Island, on my sailboat. The bridge is absolutely critical for giving the island that 'ninja turtles industrial waste hideout' vibe and should remain intact.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crumbskull posted:

I used to live under the West Seattle Bridge on Harbor Island, on my sailboat. The bridge is absolutely critical for giving the island that 'ninja turtles industrial waste hideout' vibe and should remain intact.

I used to board launches to go out to ships at anchor at that marina.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol at the 'just tear down all the bridges' crew. Also at a bunch of leftists that are complaining about taxes to improve infrastructure.

Now if you complained that the proposed taxes are flat, and not progressive, I'd understand but lol

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I used to board launches to go out to ships at anchor at that marina.

On the Arrow pilot boats? Pilot boats are so loving cool. I was a hydraulics mechanic in the fishing industry in a former life and in Dutch Harbor one time I this geordie guy who was on his like 12th arctic circumnavigstion effort in this amazing purpose built ship that was more or less modeled on pilot boats. He was completely insane and would buy 100s of christmas puddings from.Marks and Spencer in january at a discount and then would spend weeks at a time at sea drinking brandy and eating pudding. He got stuck in the ice once for two and a half months and he was like 'but it didnt matter, I had plenty of pudding laid by' He said he went into the wheelhouse to check if everything was o.k. once a day because 'if I hit something I hit something and the bow is fortified anyway." Awesome guy, awesome boat.

Crumbskull fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 16, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

lol at the 'just tear down all the bridges' crew. Also at a bunch of leftists that are complaining about taxes to improve infrastructure.

Now if you complained that the proposed taxes are flat, and not progressive, I'd understand but lol
Coal power plants and fracking rigs are technically infrastructure, too. I would have a problem with building those, as well.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Peachfart posted:

It's Infrastructure Week

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Peachfart posted:

I mean I kind of get complaining about expensive infrastructure for car commuting, but complaining about train commuting too? The gently caress? That's basically saying "major cities should not exist".

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

Coal power plants and fracking rigs are technically infrastructure, too. I would have a problem with building those, as well.

Yup, if we were talking about something else entirely indeed lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crumbskull posted:

On the Arrow pilot boats? Pilot boats are so loving cool. I was a hydraulics mechanic in the fishing industry in a former life and in Dutch Harbor one time I this geordie guy who was on his like 12th arctic circumnavigstion effort in this amazing purpose built ship that was more or less modeled on pilot boats. He was completely insane and would buy 100s of christmas puddings from.Marks and Spencer in january at a discount and then would spend weeks at a time at sea drinking brandy and eating pudding. He got stuck in the ice once for two and a half months and he was like 'but it didnt matter, I had plenty of pudding laid by' He said he went into the wheelhouse to check if everything was o.k. once a day because 'if I hit something I hit something and the bow is fortified anyway." Awesome guy, awesome boat.

Yep on arrow. I miss doing that a lot but I’m glad I’m not right now what with covid. My last boss wrote the first USCG approved stability for fisherman course way back in like the eighties, he headlined the expo that year. I’ve got the original drafts sitting in my garage. Dutch harbor is an interesting place, it’s the only place I’ve hitchhiked. i did some time there as a cadet.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
The angry nimby landlords on nextdoor keep crying about property taxes and are clamoring for us to institute a sales tax and I have to keep making GBS threads in their mouths to get it to stop.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

I also expected people to understand the next level of abstraction that looks something like "maybe we shouldn't make it unfeasible to get to a gigantic part of Seattle regardless of who inhabits it".

This thread is maddening because it's full of discussion about nuanced parts of metropolitan areas while ALSO being full of nerds who don't live anywhere near those areas making stupid assertions that don't stand up to the tiniest bit of scrutiny.

E: I don't give a gently caress about the Boeing company either so try something else dipshits

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cicero posted:

That's basically saying "major cities should not exist".

Major cities don't need to legally mandate that 75% of their land area be zoned for single family homes and cluster that in specific districts that rise as high as 90%, then publicly subsidize that unsustainable development pattern with ever-more expensive and demand-inducing commute options.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Oldest Man posted:

Major cities don't need to legally mandate that 75% of their land area be zoned for single family homes and cluster that in specific districts that rise as high as 90%, then publicly subsidize that unsustainable development pattern with ever-more expensive and demand-inducing commute options.
Granted, but the right thing to do here is to build out the transit line, then not have a big rear end park and ride (a modest amount of paid parking nearby is fine), and instead get people there via walking + upzoning the immediate area, feeder buses from the wider neighborhood, and a substantial amount of bike parking (plus improvements to bike lanes/paths in the area).

Getting rid of the surburbs or suburb-like neighborhoods isn't going to happen, but you can steadily make them less lovely.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

Healthy zoning is going to mean more people crossing the Duwamish, not less.

I'm all for a road diet, maybe combining the bridge with Light Rail, but I'm gonna plant my flag on "having literally anything rather than let it fall into the sea" hill.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I had to look at a map to understand what you folks are talking about.

Pacific Northwest Thread Mk. II: Crossing the Duwamish

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Oldest Man posted:

Wait so the fix to Seattle being too congested is to sublet houses so multiple families can occupy them? This helps traffic?

Is the perfect Seattle city just non stop apartment buildings?

I get the massive billion dollar companies that own sky rises should not be allowed to evict people but some dude renting out a house he has and expecting his tenants pay their bills isn’t the bad guy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

No that person is definitely the bad guy.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Nuts and Gum posted:

some dude renting out a house he has and expecting his tenants pay their bills isn’t the bad guy.

Um, Actually

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao I just read a big long sob story article about landlords feeling covid pressure and I poo poo you not one of the folks they interviewed was a woman who didn’t have any tenants behind on rent but feared that one might possibly get behind at some uncertain time in the future. Just the biggest whiniest scum people

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Wait so the fix to Seattle being too congested is to sublet houses so multiple families can occupy them? This helps traffic?

I get the massive billion dollar companies that own sky rises should not be allowed to evict people but some dude renting out a house he has and expecting his tenants pay their bills isn’t the bad guy.

i mean i think the bridge is fine but the answer to your questions is yes to all

ideally the city would be structured in a way where people dont have to commute, is the point hes trying to make. increased density, as long as its affordable and livable, is the goal to achieve this.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Nuts and Gum posted:

Generally not a dude, generally a REIT or a group of dudes that had access to capital that the people renting might not have access to.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

what's the thread consensus on the magnolia bridge tho

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Magnolia is like West Seattle if west Seattle wasn't also a bridge to the greater Olympic Peninsula.

They don't have much to stand on aside from "we've been here a while!"

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what's the thread consensus on the magnolia bridge tho

They keep demanding more studies for a new mega bridge to replace the southern train crossing* when, like, no one would use it because there isn't a ferry terminal. I'm waiting for whatever happens to the Ballard bridge to be figured out before worrying about it.

*there is a northern one too

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

At the meetings I goto one is a crisis. The other is mentioned in passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Discovery Park is kinda nice and Magnolia shouldn’t have it all to themselves.