Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Where exactly has this thread gone? Do we have any prescriptions on how to deal with 2018?

-Run on things like single payer, financial reform, anti-interventionism, and protecting social security and Medicare/Medicaid
-Mobilize the Democratic base, attract the people who weren't motivated enough to turn out in 2016, pick off some populists who had voted for Obama but voted for Trump, discourage the remaining populist Trump supporters from turning out for him, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Where exactly has this thread gone? Do we have any prescriptions on how to deal with 2018?

support the DSA and ourrevolution. join your local orgs. work outside and inside the dems simultaneously so the dems can't shut you down as easily but you're still working towards taking control of the democratic party.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

This thread sucks.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

stone cold posted:

so do you have any salient points to make or you just here to masturbate

I'll take that as a solid "no". Carry on little retard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Liquid Drink posted:

I'll take that as a solid "no". Carry on little retard.

so why do you find dodd frank, particularly the volcker rule, to be a neoliberal policy

please, demonstrate your intellectual competency, since you seem to think asserting the above is the mark of the non-brain damaged

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

quote:

Regulators gave the public until February 13, 2012 to comment on the proposed draft of the regulations (over 17,000 comments were made).[38] Under the Dodd-Frank financial reform law, the regulations went into effect on July 21, 2012. However, during his report to Congress on February 29, 2012, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said the central bank and other regulators would not meet that deadline.[38]

By February 26, 2013, the rule was still not implemented.[39] Occupy the SEC filed a suit in the Eastern District Court of New York naming the Federal Reserve, the SEC, CFTC, OCC, FDIC, and the U.S. Department of the Treasury and calling for the court to set a deadline for implementation.[40] Subsequently, it was reported that the Volcker Rule was not likely to be in effect until July 2014 and that some industry lobbyists were pushing for extension beyond that date.[41]

On December 10, 2013, the Volcker Rule regulations were approved by all five of the necessary financial regulatory agencies. It was set to go into effect April 1, 2014.[7] The final rule had a longer compliance period and fewer metrics than earlier proposals.[42] Furthermore, the final rule put the onus on banks to demonstrate that they are operating their trading activities in compliance with the rule and required CEO certification of the effectiveness of the compliance program.[43]

However, after a lawsuit was filed to stay the effect of the Volcker Rule regulations over whether banks could be required to sell or divest collateralized debt obligations (CDO) backed by trust-preferred securities (TruPS), on December 27, 2013 the Federal Reserve Board, FDIC, OCC, CFTC and SEC all announced they were reviewing whether it would be appropriate to exempt a small subset of securities from the rule, on which they would rule by January 15, 2014, at the latest.[44] On January 14, 2014, interim final regulations were adopted to permit certain banking entities to retain those investments.[8][45]

On January 14, 2014, revised final regulations were approved.[8][46]

The rule came into effect on July 21, 2015.[9]

Extensions continued for banks to exit illiquid investments.[10] On December 18, 2014, the Federal Reserve extended the Volcker Rule’s conformance period for “legacy covered funds” (a defined term) until July 21, 2016, and indicated it would likely extend the period further to July 21, 2017. The extension to 2016 is the second of three possible one-year extensions the Federal Reserve may issue under the Dodd-Frank Act (regulators provided an initial one-year extension when the Volcker Rule was finalized in December 2013).[47][48] Wall Street lobbyists continue to ask the Federal Reserve to extend the deadline for some banking investments in private equity and hedge funds.[49]

Dodd-Frank was passed in 2010, and it seems according to wikipedia that "legacy covered funds" are still filling extensions.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TyroneGoldstein posted:

also, policy-wise, i'd like to see single-payer and raising the minimum wage as well as fighting to reduce sentence lengths and a STRONG focus on holding police accountable for crimes they're committing, cleaning up corruption in the police, and most importantly purging the KKK and white nationalists from the police.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

https://agenda-blog.com/2017/07/03/primary-colors-on-democratic-presidential-politics-neoliberalism-and-the-white-working-class/

The rest of the piece is too long to quote here, but it goes in depth into the '72, '76, '80, '84 and '88 primaries

The problem here is that it implicitly assumes that the "white working class" as a group is roughly unified and reacts to the same things. It's entirely possible that both 1. the white working class would have gradually moved away from the Democratic Party regardless and 2. it wouldn't have moved away as much if the Democratic Party had remained more pro-labor. Like, instead of declining from X% to Y%, it may have just declined to more-than-Y%.

Like, the article's analysis is certainly preferred to the leftists who just blindly assert a narrative, but it also doesn't really contradict the idea that being more pro-labor would have improved "white working class" support relative to not being more pro-labor. It just supports the idea that support would have decreased overall regardless.

Digiwizzard posted:

Yeah but the fear is more acute with Tulsi because everyone is rushing to anoint her as the new leftist champion because she's photogenic and endorsed Bernie (or alternatively decry her as secret hitler). If she actually puts up on left economic policy then I'm all for her, but at the moment it feels like she has the same calculated vague positions that 08 Obama had.

This is the way I feel. Stuff like her support for Modi makes me very doubtful as to how leftist she really is. I think that many people just really want someone they can unconditionally throw their support towards.

I would still support her over someone like Clinton, but I see no reason (at present, at least) to be so enthusiastic about her.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 5, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Dodd-Frank was passed in 2010, and it seems according to wikipedia that "legacy covered funds" are still filling extensions.

whatever point you're trying to make, you might want to read your words

the fed is allowed to make three separate one year extensions for that specific conformance deadline and said specifically that banking entities are expected to make plans well in advance of the end of the extended conformance period regarding how they will conform or divest legacy covered fund investments in an orderly and safe and sound manner

if you read the statute they don't get to keep those specific funds indefinitely

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
So like I said it is 2017 and they are still filling extensions.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Ardennes posted:

So like I said it is 2017 and they are still filling extensions.

this is the last year

math hard

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Dodd. Frank was. We should have broken up th financial industry if not nationalized it.

Lets not get crazy here, lets just make chase get a .xxx address.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonna be honest I don't see a piece of 2010 legislation passing the house on a "guillotine those pieces of poo poo" message.

Dodd-Frank ain't perfect but lol that's America it was basically communism as far as the country's loudest dipshits with megaphones are concerned.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Gonna be honest I don't see a piece of 2010 legislation passing the house on a "guillotine those pieces of poo poo" message.

Dodd-Frank ain't perfect but lol that's America it was basically communism as far as the country's loudest dipshits with megaphones are concerned.

well i mean it was what it was

sorely needed financial regulations that you read and go holy poo poo how did this not already exist what the gently caress even

which, for neoliberal american idiots yeah, i guess it might as well have been communism

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stone cold posted:

this is the last year

math hard

Law360, New York (June 7, 2017, 8:00 PM EDT) -- The Federal Reserve announced Wednesday that it granted Deutsche Bank AG, SVB Financial Group and UBS Group AG an extra five years to comply with fund requirements set by the Volcker Rule, which banned banks' proprietary trading under the 2010 Dodd-Frank Act.
The three banks now have until July 21, 2022, to conform their investments in certain "illiquid funds” to requirements in the Volcker Rule, which also bars banks from most hedge, private equity and other outside fund investments. The rule was enacted to prevent banks from making certain high-risk investments that contributed to the financial crisis in 2008.

“In the aggregate, the fund investments for which [the banks have] requested an extension represent a de minimis percentage of the firm's total assets,” the Fed said. “As a result, the proposed extension of the compliance period in this case would not appear to pose a significant or material risk to the firm[s] or to the financial stability of the United States.”

https://www.law360.com/articles/932412/deutsche-svb-ubs-get-time-for-volcker-rule-compliance

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Law360, New York (June 7, 2017, 8:00 PM EDT) -- The Federal Reserve announced Wednesday that it granted Deutsche Bank AG, SVB Financial Group and UBS Group AG an extra five years to comply with fund requirements set by the Volcker Rule, which banned banks' proprietary trading under the 2010 Dodd-Frank Act.
The three banks now have until July 21, 2022, to conform their investments in certain "illiquid funds” to requirements in the Volcker Rule, which also bars banks from most hedge, private equity and other outside fund investments. The rule was enacted to prevent banks from making certain high-risk investments that contributed to the financial crisis in 2008.

“In the aggregate, the fund investments for which [the banks have] requested an extension represent a de minimis percentage of the firm's total assets,” the Fed said. “As a result, the proposed extension of the compliance period in this case would not appear to pose a significant or material risk to the firm[s] or to the financial stability of the United States.”

https://www.law360.com/articles/932412/deutsche-svb-ubs-get-time-for-volcker-rule-compliance

did we forget that foreign banks have exemptions

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

but yeah Ardennes just go ahead and scrap it, that's not the neoliberal action at all

clearly it's useless

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Read back a few pages and didn't see this posted:

http://www.theroot.com/as-democrats-keep-chasing-trump-voter-waterfalls-will-1796546943

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be honest, I think Crowbeaks particular criticism really wasn't off base or that extraordinary.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

stone cold posted:

but yeah Ardennes just go ahead and scrap it, that's not the neoliberal action at all

clearly it's useless

i think people like ardennes are either arguing for enhancing regulations and giving them teeth, or writing new ones that have teeth. not for deregulation

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Condiv posted:

i think people like ardennes are either arguing for enhancing regulations and giving them teeth, or writing new ones that have teeth. not for deregulation

Granted, the real rest of Dodd-Frank will be another crisis, and what the ultimate result of it will be. That said, I wasn't particularly overwhelmed with Dodd-Frank when it was passed. Granted, I could say the say thing about the ACA (and particularly its legacy).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This piece seems to kind of be missing the forest through the trees: the campaign platform that will recapture some of the white working class vote is, in many areas, identical with that which will turn out the black vote in record numbers. Black working class people want to protect and strengthen Medicaid, Medicare, social security, and the rest of the social safety net as much as white working class people. They get at least as hurt by financial sector fuckery as working class white folks. When auto plants close, black and white industrial workers lose their jobs together. Obviously, black people have other, even more pressing concerns, ie: "please make the cops stop shooting us with wild abandon, thanks, I would prefer not to die," but those are in no ways at odds with an economic populism platform. Clinton's big strategic mistake wasn't that she didn't talk to white people enough; it's that she spent way too much time trying to win over affluent white suburban Republicans who were never going to vote for her, while neglecting working class communities made up of black and white workers. If the Democrats adopt a platform that emphasizes economic populism, they will be able to turn out white and black working class voters.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 5, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Granted, the real rest of Dodd-Frank will be another crisis, and what the ultimate result of it will be. That said, I wasn't particularly overwhelmed with Dodd-Frank when it was passed. Granted, I could say the say thing about the ACA (and particularly its legacy).

stress tests are good

volcker rule is good

swap regulation is good

title ii is incredibly good

requiring hedge fund guys to register as fas is good

the creation of the fsoc, ofr, bcfp were good

requiring fiduciary duty is good

this is all not even most of what dodd frank does

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

and fwiw it looks like Warren has been at least tacitly in favor of single payer since around 2008 so whats the statue of limitations here

The quote I posted was from 2012, she's been against single payer since at least that time

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Majorian posted:

This piece seems to kind of be missing the forest through the trees: the campaign platform that will recapture some of the white working class vote is, in many areas, identical with that which will turn out the black vote in record numbers. Black working class people want to protect and strengthen Medicaid, Medicare, social security, and the rest of the social safety net as much as white working class people. They get at least as hurt by financial sector fuckery as working class white folks. When auto plants close, black and white industrial workers lose their jobs together. Obviously, black people have other, even more pressing concerns, ie: "please make the cops stop shooting us with wild abandon, thanks, I would prefer not to die," but those are in no ways at odds with an economic populism platform. Clinton's big strategic mistake wasn't that she didn't talk to white people enough; it's that she spent way too much time trying to win over affluent white suburban Republicans who were never going to vote for her, while neglecting working class communities made up of black and white workers. If the Democrats adopt a platform that emphasizes economic populism, they will be able to turn out white and black working class voters.

So your response to "democrats just take black voters for granted" is "yes they do"?

The piece is asking Democrats to *specifically* engage with black voters and politicians on strategy, not say "well if we do things that we think will attract whites we'll get blacks too".

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
But black voters care more about jobs and the economy than they do police violence, at least according to some surveys of the black community. And yet, only the voices that result in "no new taxes" get amplified by liberals.

It's super sad to me that Hillarymen see black people getting killed by police and have a problem with that (as they well loving should), but then turn around and tell the black people getting killed by our healthcare system (due to lack of health insurance for ultimately racist reasons) or working for drastically lower pay than their white peers that they should bootstrap themselves.

call to action fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 5, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

So your response to "democrats just take black voters for granted" is "yes they do"?

The piece is asking Democrats to *specifically* engage with black voters and politicians on strategy, not say "well if we do things that we think will attract whites we'll get blacks too".

Nope, my response is that this piece is wrong to cast catering to white and black working class voters as necessarily mutually exclusive, particularly as it pertains to the Democrats' economic platform. Yes, the Democrats take black voters for granted, and yes, if they want to get better turnout from black voters, they need to engage them much more frequently and effectively.

e: AND, of course, listen to black strategists, black leaders, etc, so that they can effectively and frequently engage black voters.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 5, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

call to action posted:

But black voters care more about jobs and the economy than they do police violence, at least according to some surveys of the black community. And yet, only the voices that result in "no new taxes" get amplified by liberals.

It's super sad to me that Hillarymen see black people getting killed by police and have a problem with that (as they well loving should), but then turn around and tell the black people getting killed by our healthcare system (due to lack of health insurance for ultimately racist reasons) or working for drastically lower pay than their white peers that they should bootstrap themselves.

I would say mention that black communities in the midwest/north had been brutally hit by both outsourcing and the recession in general and in many ways have fallen even further behind white ones. While some new factories in the south hire black workers, the pay and benefits are usually are completely laughable.

It has been going on for a while, a big factor in the collapse of South Central LA in the first place was when the Ford assembly plant down there shut down.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 5, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The problem with these "engage black voters, stop thinking about all working class voters" is that for a lot of them, "engage black voters" means "engage with the rich black voters". There's a pretty obvious divide between the older, richer black democrats and younger egalitarian black democrats.

Rich black voters are the kind who scoff at a political figure getting support from rappers rather than suits, who will chase police brutality cases because its something that could happen to them, while ignoring the number of black americans in jail for pot. They tend to believe in the Trickle Down theory as applied to social justice, despite that very obviously not working among LGBT groups.

They typically become most prominent because a lot of black activism avoids the compartmentalization of problems that happens in say, the LGBQT community in favor of a Black Unity approach, which results in the people who can afford to speak for all black americans speaking for all black americans, irregardless of how many issues they might share.

The reality is that young black democrats are firmly on the side of the left, and that organizations such as Our Revolution already pull heavily from BLM for candidates in local elections.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 5, 2017

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Colorblind policy results in racist outcomes.

That's always been the problem with saying we'll fix the issues facing everyone: It ignores that racism exists.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

That's always been the problem with saying we'll fix the issues facing everyone: It ignores that racism exists.

Economic leftism does not need to be colorblind. Neither do we have to ignore the fact that generic economic leftism will help black communities, even if it will not help them as equally as white communities.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

No one here is advocating a colorblind policy. Again, the notion that antiracism and economic populism are mutually exclusive and conflicting principles is a big part of why the Democrats keep losing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

No one here is advocating a colorblind policy. Again, the notion that antiracism and economic populism are mutually exclusive and conflicting principles is a big part of why the Democrats keep losing.

The article is specifically saying that Democrats aren't listening to black folks within the party and that they should.

You said it misses the forest for the trees because

quote:

my response is that this piece is wrong to cast catering to white and black working class voters as necessarily mutually exclusive, particularly as it pertains to the Democrats' economic platform. Yes, the Democrats take black voters for granted, and yes, if they want to get better turnout from black voters, they need to engage them much more frequently and effectively."

They may NOT be mutually exclusive, but the point is that they need to focus specifically on black voters and not just try to cater to both.

I don't think the article misses the forest for the trees, I think it makes a good point.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

The article is specifically saying that Democrats aren't listening to black folks within the party and that they should.

You said it misses the forest for the trees because

They may NOT be mutually exclusive, but the point is that they need to focus specifically on black voters and not just try to cater to both.

There's literally nothing I've ever posted that suggests that the Democrats shouldn't put extra effort into mobilizing the black vote, whereas I've made quite a few posts arguing that social democrats/democratic socialists/Bernies/left-populists need to make a special effort to listen to, and engage with, black voters. Hell, I even said it in the post you quoted (although it was an edit a couple minutes after I hit post reply, so you might have missed it).

e: from a ways upthread:

Majorian posted:

Are you referring to Submarine Sandpaper? If so, let's be fair to his/her/their argument, because it's not that helping poor people is racist. The concern among a lot of the pro-identity politics progressives is a valid one, IMO: instituting a $15/hour federal minimum wage (or offering single-payer health care, or any other broad-based economic populist policy) is nice, but it doesn't do much to address other structural inequalities against minorities. Black folks, Latinos, women, etc, would still likely enjoy less of a benefit out of such a policy than white people, and that is pretty bullshitty. How can we, as leftists, claim to stand by our principles, if we're not doing everything we can to drive down barriers that prevent large swaths of people from enjoying the benefits to which they're entitled? It's easy for those of us who are white, male, cisgender, etc, to say, "Oh, don't worry, economic leftists will make sure that there are provisions to make sure that underprivileged minorities will be able to catch up financially." But a lot of PoCs, women, LGBT folks, and other underprivileged groups are wary. They worry that once we get a $15/hour minimum wage, we'll declare "mission accomplished!" and then forget about everyone else who helped us get there.

And that concern is not without basis; the New Deal and the Great Society, while good things on the whole, left a lot of minorities out to dry. So white leftists say things like, "Identity politics doesn't matter/is a distraction," or, "economically populism will solve racism," they don't exactly sound like they get it, or like they're particularly committed to economic justice for all Americans. Plus, there definitely is a glut on "won't somebody PLEASE think of the white working class?!" articles in the mainstream media. If I were, for example, a PoC, I know I'd find that pretty infuriating, because how often do you see articles saying, "won't somebody PLEASE think about working class PoCs?" Not nearly as often. TyroneGoldstein said it best just a couple posts ago: "there's a pretty strong case to be made that it doesn't matter until it starts directly hurting white people in good enough numbers."

However, the argument falls apart on two points, IMO. One is the assumption that there's nothing that can be done to ensure that economic justice extends to all Americans, of all races, ethnicities, creeds, genders, and sexual orientations. Remaining vigilant and holding progressive representatives accountable will be an ongoing process. The second problem with the argument is when it does what Submarine Sandpaper did and makes the unfair generalization that white people's privilege exempts them from poverty, misery, and exploitation. As the Vox article that I posted makes clear, this is an absurd perspective. While a poor white person is probably going to have more privilege, on average, than a poor black person, that doesn't mean that both of them aren't suffering from massive injustices that need to be rectified.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 5, 2017

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

There's literally nothing I've ever posted that suggests that the Democrats shouldn't put extra effort into mobilizing the black vote, whereas I've made quite a few posts arguing that social democrats/democratic socialists/Bernies/left-populists need to make a special effort to listen to, and engage with, black voters. Hell, I even said it in the post you quoted (although it was an edit a couple minutes after I hit post reply, so you might have missed it).

I'm not sure what your problem with the article in question is, then. Is that you didn't write it?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I'm not sure what your problem with the article in question is, then. Is that you didn't write it?

The very title of the article spells out the problem: "As Democrats Keep Chasing Trump Voter Waterfalls, Will They Ever Listen to Their Actual Base: Black People?" Characterizing the effort to recapture white working class votes as "chasing waterfalls," and labeling black voters as the Democrats' "actual base" makes it pretty clear that the author sees catering to these two groups as mutually exclusive. That's my problem with it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

The very title of the article spells out the problem: "As Democrats Keep Chasing Trump Voter Waterfalls, Will They Ever Listen to Their Actual Base: Black People?" Characterizing the effort to recapture white working class votes as "chasing waterfalls," and labeling black voters as the Democrats' "actual base" makes it pretty clear that the author sees catering to these two groups as mutually exclusive. That's my problem with it.

Did you just read the title? The actual body of the article you appear to agree with 100%.

Like are you violently agreeing with this article, I'm just kind of mystified.

Edit: I'm just going to let this go

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Did you just read the title? The actual body of the article you appear to agree with 100%.

I've read the whole piece, yes. I myself am a little mystified that you seem to think I shouldn't consider the piece's title relevant, since it affects the implications of the piece pretty significantly.

Or are you suggesting that the author didn't pick the title of her piece?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

I've read the whole piece, yes. I myself am a little mystified that you seem to think I shouldn't consider the piece's title relevant, since it affects the implications of the piece pretty significantly.

It's possible that she didn't, some sites run like that. I tend to base my opinions on articles on the article, and if I didn't like the title i complain about it but don't consider it part of the article, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

... they frequently don't

• Locked thread