Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
az
Dec 2, 2005

TildeATH posted:

I like how Germany has so few operational airplanes that they refer to them as "The Typhoon" and "The Tornado". "Which one are you going to fly, Hans? I think I'll fly the Tornado. Oh, sorry, Karl already took that one."

It varies from model to model but it's an average of 40% airworthy planes right now.

edit: The Luftwaffe is run by utter nimrods and they are where our military funds go to die.

az fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

The US changing their mind about the territorial integrity of Syria after committing themselves to it at international talks would surely amuse Russia

The commitments of one rogue administration will not necessarily be upheld by a future administration more in line with the American political mainstream. See also: The Iran deal post-Obama.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

az posted:

It varies from model to model but it's an average of 40% airworthy planes right now.

This seems about right actually. It sounds awful but operational ready rates weren't that much higher during WW2, when the US was an industrial powerhouse and actively committed to war. There is a pretty astronomical cost associated with keeping an air force capable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

az posted:

edit: The Luftwaffe is run by utter nimrods and they are where our military funds go to die.

:stare:

Holy poo poo, you were not kidding:

http://www.dw.com/en/germanys-von-der-leyen-admits-major-bundeswehr-shortfalls/a-17959798

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

az posted:

What do their amazing hunting skills have to do with running an airforce?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

az posted:

Judging by the info being posted on the F35 thread, this is probably the norm more than the exception.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

What do their amazing hunting skills have to do with running an airforce?

too much Jägermeister, I'll bet

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

San Bernadino shooters were Pakistani and allegedly had ties to Islamic extremists. It was a husband & wife couple wearing ski masks and tactical vests. They killed 14 people (many of them apparently co-workers of the male shooter) then died in a police shootout. An explosive device they had set at the residence failed to go off. They had a shitload of pipe bombs at their house. Hopefully we're jaded enough about mass-shootings to avoid a backlash against Muslims for this?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sergg posted:

San Bernadino shooters were Pakistani and allegedly had ties to Islamic extremists. It was a husband & wife couple wearing ski masks and tactical vests. They killed 14 people (many of them apparently co-workers of the male shooter) then died in a police shootout. An explosive device they had set at the residence failed to go off. They had a shitload of pipe bombs at their house.

One was an American born citizen to two parents of Pakistani origin.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

jm20 posted:

One was an American born citizen to two parents of Pakistani origin.

He was also a public employee who was radicalized. How many other Americans advertise on dating sites to Pakistani women their citizenship status?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

He was also a public employee who was radicalized. How many other Americans advertise on dating sites to Pakistani women their citizenship status?

...really? That's what you're going on? You really can't see why someone in a developing country might see marrying someone from the US to be a plus and the person in the States might use that to pull more matches?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm sure dem towelheads all look alike to you, but she was a Saudi woman; the couple met in Saudi Arabia where the guy went to make the Hajj pilgrimage. In the thread about the shooting you keep saying "Pakistani" and "Pakistan"; it turns out that Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are actually different countries. They don't even share a border!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Was she Saudi? NYT sez she had a Pakistan passport:

quote:

Mr. Bowdich said that Mr. Farook visited Pakistan last year, and that he and Ms. Malik entered the United States from Pakistan in July 2014. She traveled on a Pakistani passport and entered the United States on a K-1 visa

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Can we not talk about this here? At least not until we can post links to some awful commentary about how this means we need to bomb mecca or re-invade Iraq for the 8th time or something.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm sure dem towelheads all look alike to you, but she was a Saudi woman; the couple met in Saudi Arabia where the guy went to make the Hajj pilgrimage. In the thread about the shooting you keep saying "Pakistani" and "Pakistan"; it turns out that Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are actually different countries. They don't even share a border!

She's Pakistani, and her family lived in Saudi (perhaps as guest workers, who knows). But yeah time will tell what happened.

In Syria news, looks like the rebels and YPG around Azaz signed a truce today.

Edit: also LOL at all the weird rumors floating around about the Taliban leadership fighting itself. On the plus side, there's a legit chance that Mullah Akhtar is dead.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's incredibly common in the Pakistani community. Marrying an American is a golden ticket out of that poo poo hole. That's why what this couple did right after having a baby even more confusing.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

MothraAttack posted:

We'll need to follow this closely to see how well/if the Jaish al Thuwar/SDF forces follow the lead of the YPG/SDF forces. also check to see if the Kurdish enclave in aleppo city, Sheikh Maqsood are folded in or if they'll need (another) separate ceasefire.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

farraday posted:

We'll need to follow this closely to see how well/if the Jaish al Thuwar/SDF forces follow the lead of the YPG/SDF forces. also check to see if the Kurdish enclave in aleppo city, Sheikh Maqsood are folded in or if they'll need (another) separate ceasefire.

Jaish al Thuwar has already rejected it, heh. The agreement appears to be between YPG and the rebel ops room.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

MothraAttack posted:

Jaish al Thuwar has already rejected it, heh. The agreement appears to be between YPG and the rebel ops room.

Jayish al Thuwar is going to get themselves expelled in part or in full from Efrin at this rate because the Kurds there officially do not need this poo poo.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Anyone have a map showing the reversal of fortunes in Kobane? Like a territorial map before the U.S. started bombing in support, and a present day one? Cheers.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

MothraAttack posted:

She's Pakistani, and her family lived in Saudi (perhaps as guest workers, who knows). But yeah time will tell what happened.

Edit: also LOL at all the weird rumors floating around about the Taliban leadership fighting itself. On the plus side, there's a legit chance that Mullah Akhtar is dead.

MothraAttack posted:

Oh joy.:suicide:

For what it's worth, have a picture of the truce:

And maps:

(keep in mind Peto Lucem is pro-gov.)

A new interactive map by deSyracuse here:
http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/fr/map/desyracuse-syria-civil-war-2-dec-2015_62444#7/34.827/40.034

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

fade5 posted:

For what it's worth, have a picture of the truce:

Im actually curious, what does it say? I cant read any of these things and Im interested how they are worded.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ianiniho posted:

Anyone have a map showing the reversal of fortunes in Kobane? Like a territorial map before the U.S. started bombing in support, and a present day one? Cheers.
Here's a gif webm of Thomas Van Linge's maps of Syria that goes from March 2014 to September 2015:
http://imgur.com/CqRfJFO
http://i.imgur.com/CqRfJFO.webm

And here's gif of the reclamation of Kobani Canton:

I'll see if I can find anything specifically showing what you're asking for.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is mullah not a derogatory term in pashto?

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009

fade5 posted:

I'll see if I can find anything specifically showing what you're asking for.

Thanks bud, those are great.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this was a good, comprehensive explanation.

edit: dang, I still don't know how to properly do Twitter captures

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ianiniho posted:

Thanks bud, those are great.
Welcome.

Aha, here we go; I found someone who made a video of Chuck Pfarrer's maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8MY_m6hrb0

Speaking of which, it looks like Chuck Pfarrer's not making maps anymore,. The last map was August 8th about the reclamation of Sarrin. His twitter has been inactive since September 1st except of a couple tweets to show he plans to come back sometime (and a new book he's written).

The end of an era.:(

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 4, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3eDynXdh8Y

Further proof that russia is destroying food and water infrastructure in Syria.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

radical meme posted:

Pretty solid.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

farraday posted:

Pretty solid.

Except it misses out on the part where Obama personally trained and created Daesh.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://twitter.com/KarlreMarks/status/671689425739456512

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

5 posts ago dude.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LeoMarr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3eDynXdh8Y

Further proof that russia is destroying food and water infrastructure in Syria.

Is there any published analysis backing up that assertion? From a news source or one of the national security think tanks or something?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/672309153789005825

From the location this grain factory is just east of Idlib on Highway 60.

Here's the factory from Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Unless this is a Jihad bakery training camp I'm pretty sure it's a food related piece of infrastructure.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

5 posts ago dude.

Was trying to make a twitter post, failed badly.

Looks like Israel is bombing Hezbollah in Syria.

https://twitter.com/IsraelHatzolah/status/672521453636579329

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 4, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

radical meme posted:

here's a better one: "the creation of the State of Israel"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

icantfindaname posted:

yes it's all the jews fault as usual.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jews didn't create the State of Israel, Britain and the UN did

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

icantfindaname posted:

You'll really need to expand on that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FaustianQ posted:

You'll really need to expand on that.

People point to colonial divide-and-conquer tactics to turn the Arab natives against each other instead of the colonizers, and far and away the hugest example of that is in the creation of Israel and its control being given to Zionist nationalists. Immediately the entire political milieu in the postcolonial Arab states was focused on unification of the Arab territories (including Israel), and when that goal failed as it inevitably would thanks to the decisions of the colonial powers, so too did the entire political backing of the Arab states, leading to a vacuum for Islamism to fill. The rise of ISIS was a given from the moment Israel was created

It's literally insane to write out all the stuff that guy did in that post but scrupulously avoid naming the single largest example of all of those things in practice. "The failure of the postcolonial elites to create genuine democratic societies" is politically correct newspeak whose English translation is "The creation of the State of Israel". The problem is that a genuinely democratic society in that place and time would have created a unified Arab nationalist state in the Levant and Iraq, but the British and French partitioned it instead. And by 'partition' I don't mean Iraq vs Syria, which is what most of the liberal hand-wringing tends to focus on. I mean 'Israel vs Palestine'

It's basically a bad joke that it's TYOOL 2015 and Israel is well on its way to becoming a straight up apartheid state and the liberal establishment still treats such a basic, fundamental observation of reality as this as kryptonite that must never be spoken aloud

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

People point to colonial divide-and-conquer tactics to turn the Arab natives against each other instead of the colonizers, and far and away the hugest example of that is in the creation of Israel and its control being given to Zionist nationalists. Immediately the entire political milieu in the postcolonial Arab states was focused on unification of the Arab territories and the accompanying defeat of Israel, and when that goal failed, as it inevitably would, so too did the entire political backing of the Arab states, leading to a vacuum for Islamism to fill

It's literally insane to write out all the stuff that guy did in that post but scrupulously avoid naming the single largest example of all of those things in practice. "The failure of the postcolonial elites to create genuine democratic societies" is politically correct newspeak whose English translation is "The creation of the State of Israel". The problem is that a genuinely democratic society in that place and time would have created a unified Arab nationalist state in the Levant and Iraq, but the British and French partitioned it instead

A) You're doing a lovely job translating and b) keep your hard on for I/P stuff out of the thread.

• Locked thread