Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

So some car stuff I designed is now out for commercial sale. It feels pretty AI to be involved with it :)

Power steering reservoir as part of the Chase Bays power steering kits top, and aluminum coolant overflow tank bottom.

There are several other items I designed for them that should be in production for the coming year. I can't wait to go to car meets and see these on cars, and have the owners tell me how much they hate them and how terrible I am!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cool, but where's the sight glass to see if I'm leaking power steering fluid? Do I have to use a dipstick?

What kind of training do you have? Making parts is awesome.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'm a senior BSME student. ME is such an awesome field to study if you like cars.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not too wild compared to a lot of things, but a Ferrari on Guam is pretty loving awesome.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Party Alarm posted:

There are several other items I designed for them that should be in production for the coming year. I can't wait to go to car meets and see these on cars, and have the owners tell me how much they hate them and how terrible I am!

Hey, at least you have realistic expectations! I almost never post stuff I design online because there are too many other engineers who are actually better than me with legitimate criticism and my ego can't really take it. But yeah being an ME rules.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

iwentdoodie posted:

Not too wild compared to a lot of things, but a Ferrari on Guam is pretty loving awesome.

What's the retail on one of those?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

neckbeard posted:

What's the retail on one of those?
Actually, possibly not more than you can afford, pal. There's a few on Autotrader here for less than an optioned-up Golf R, which makes me go :stare: a bit.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They go for like $25-70k depending on condition and service history, and that is because they are a lovely car. Every generation needs a Mondial.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Not sure if awesome or awful - if you take your Superleggera to Costco and fill it with the poo poo you buy there, it is no longer going to be Superleggera. Hell, if you eat a hot dog at the food court and sit back down in your car, it is no longer going to be Superleggera. All that expensive weight saving negated by a 36 pack of ramen.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

blk posted:

Not sure if awesome or awful - if you take your Superleggera to Costco and fill it with the poo poo you buy there, it is no longer going to be Superleggera. Hell, if you eat a hot dog at the food court and sit back down in your car, it is no longer going to be Superleggera. All that expensive weight saving negated by a 36 pack of ramen.

So what you're saying is that if it was a regular Gallardo, it wouldn't be a problem for you?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

They go for like $25-70k depending on condition and service history, and that is because they are a lovely car. Every generation needs a Mondial.
I thought F355s were supposed to be really rather good? I always regarded them as being one of the most attractive cars Ferrari has built since the 80s, too.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

I thought F355s were supposed to be really rather good? I always regarded them as being one of the most attractive cars Ferrari has built since the 80s, too.

Yeah I disagree with that as well, the 355 is a great car to drive. It has weak points (shocks, headers are too thin, timing belt is a nightmare) but it's a great performer and I prefer driving it to the 360 that followed it. Harder to say that about the 430 though, those really smack you upside the head with power and the handling is extremely precise.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
At the time they were perfectly good and well maintained examples are still pretty cool, but at the end of the day it's an entry level Ferrari and used examples skew far closer to garbage than most Ferrari's.

It's not that a Mondial is bad, either, it's just a similar thing. Entry-level, period styling, from an era where power sucked.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 10, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1LO6uxy11I

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

This isn't incredibly awesome, but I thought it was cool that one of my coworkers actually drives this to work. I've seen it in the parking lot several times. In very nice shape. Even the tan leather interior is mint. One of the few cars that the all-one-color "euro" look works for.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

At the time they were perfectly good and well maintained examples are still pretty cool, but at the end of the day it's an entry level Ferrari and used examples skew far closer to garbage than most Ferrari's.

It's not that a Mondial is bad, either, it's just a similar thing. Entry-level, period styling, from an era where power sucked.

I just like the styling plus Nicolas Cage drove one once so yeah.

Any movies that feature a Diablo while I'm thinking about movie exotics? This is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. (click it trust me, mildly :nws: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DiEBHCSmKg

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Any movies that feature a Diablo while I'm thinking about movie exotics? This is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. (click it trust me, mildly :nws: )

The Bedazzled remake has one briefly, as does Pain & Gain, and there's one in a Steven Seagal movie which I can't recall the name of.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Do museum visits go in here or should they get their own threads? We happened to be in Nashville recently and went to the Lane Motor Musuem. It's a really interesting and eclectic collection of oddball cars. A load of Tatra saloons. Tons of obscure 3 wheel deathtraps. The best collection of fast Renaults in the US. A Nissan S-Cargo!! If you're ever in the area you really MUST check it out.

_1080734 by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Untitled by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

The descriptions by the cars were pretty forthright!

The deathtrap in question:

_1080749 by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

This must be the only Megane R26 in the country:

Lovely Turbo 2:

Lots more photos here: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/drjonboyg/sets/72157639588539024/with/11855519854/

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

13 INCH DICK posted:

Exit Wounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOH8BbCe4iU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wanted to go to Nashville just to visit the Lane museum. It looks as majestic as I imagined.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My car circle on G+ has some neat stuff from time to time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hah, that's what I was thinking of!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Made me think of this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Was Kenichi Sonoda involved in this? Because that definitely gives off that vibe.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can someone link me to those ridiculous 80s interiors in Mercs, Porsches, etc.? I think the aftermarket builder was Koenig, but not sure. There was velvet everywhere.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://1000sel.com/

these ones?

Kolster
Dec 31, 2006

Why hast thou forsaken me?

This is so incredibly brilliant.

Kolster
Dec 31, 2006

So, how does a 1971 Chevy small block perform these days?

Ehh, I think we'll adjust the ignition a little.

That's better. What car is this engine in you might ask?

It's inside this 1990 Ford Sierra which started it's life as a 2.0 DOHC. We're going drifting in it this season.

The dyno charts are taken before any tuning. We are changing the camshaft, intake manifold and so on and wanted to be able to see how much we gain.

Here's a few older pictures of the engine bay from when it was being built:

So much fun to build and drive. It barely fits in there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That exhaust is ridiculous.

Also, awesome dyno graphs. People love to forget that while there were some fire-breathing monsters back in the day, the low-rent versions found in normal cars were really nothing to write home about. Tiny cams and terrible heads. They just have the benefit of the obscenely huge aftermarket to make whatever power numbers you want to pay for.

Is it even a 350, or is it a 307? I'm leaning towards 350 because I don't think even a properly tuned 307 would make 180hp :laugh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Little brave to run a radiator out front on a drift car, isn't it?

Kolster
Dec 31, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

That exhaust is ridiculous.

Also, awesome dyno graphs. People love to forget that while there were some fire-breathing monsters back in the day, the low-rent versions found in normal cars were really nothing to write home about. Tiny cams and terrible heads. They just have the benefit of the obscenely huge aftermarket to make whatever power numbers you want to pay for.

Is it even a 350, or is it a 307? I'm leaning towards 350 because I don't think even a properly tuned 307 would make 180hp :laugh:

It's a 350. :chord:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, but there isn't much room for doing otherwise. We talked about having it in the back of the car but that's a future project.

It doesn't seem to be that big of a problem though, and we always pack an extra e36 cooler for it. So we will see how it goes.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Kolster posted:

It doesn't seem to be that big of a problem though, and we always pack an extra e36 cooler for it.

Twice the cracked expansion tanks!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Pull a Porsche and use the radiator as a spoiler. Then run approximately six miles of water pipe.

Yes, I know it was an intercooler on the 930, shut up.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hey! My Camaro came with a 307 and it started and ran just fine and made a (manufacturer claimed) 200hp!

And we promptly sold it for $500 for a local redneck (and family friend) to put in his truck, and bought a crate 350.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Sierra was actually available with a V8 in it in South Africa, as the XR8.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
The Ferrari f355 is in a realm of affordability for the common man. I strongly considered getting one while they are in the 45 to 55k price range.
then when I learned that it needs engine out service, I was like screw that. I am a gear head but that is just a little more advanced than what I am willing to deal with. The Ferrari 308 is a decent car with about ~260hp and is simple enough that most repairs can be done by a home garage mechanic. It can be had for under 40. Also I love the 308 because of Magnum PI!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The 308 is also a timelessly beautiful car.

EDIT: goddammit, I have GOT to stop looking at 308s for sale now

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 11, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Looks like a BMW radiator. Easier to replace out front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
COME AT ME, BRO

(this is from a failed attempt at an obstacle known as The Backdoor at Johnson Valley, CA. Youtube has some excellent videos.)