Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

TheBuilder posted:

Sister in law update - While my wife was napping with our daughter yesterday afternoon, sister in law was making me have a not happy day by taking my wife's car and driving off to meet some dude she met on Tinder.

Get a friend to pose on tinder, she meets him in a motel room, orchestrate an Immigration Office sting theatrical, and then you jump out of the shower when she tries to escape through the bathroom window.
"SURPRISE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

angel opportunity posted:

Can you update us on every single thing she's done for the past ~year? We all REALLY like hearing her story

agreed

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
If your sister-in-law is looking for money, I'll throw in $10 if she makes a twitter or SA account and uses it somewhat regularly.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheBuilder posted:

Sister in law update - While my wife was napping with our daughter yesterday afternoon, sister in law was making me have a not happy day by taking my wife's car and driving off to meet some dude she met on Tinder.

Sounds like she's adapting to America pretty well.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Well, she got breast augmentation surgery about 2 months ago, so there was that. Unfortunately, it didn't help her get married quickly so that wasn't up to her expectations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

If your sister-in-law is looking for money, I'll throw in $10 if she makes a twitter or SA account and uses it somewhat regularly.

finally a good match for levon!

TheBuilder posted:

Well, she got breast augmentation surgery about 2 months ago, so there was that. Unfortunately, it didn't help her get married quickly so that wasn't up to her expectations.

can you show us before/after

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Goon project: let's find this girl a husband... I'll start the wiki

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheBuilder posted:

Tell her a great way to get married quickly is to start a Twitter account and tweet somewhat regularly. Please actually suggest this.

And then, of course, please post her Twitter account info here.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Tell her a great way to get married is to get pregnant (This trick doesn't work in China so she probably didn't think of it!!)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Nederlands? I believe you mean Heland.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Tell her a great way to get married is to get pregnant (This trick doesn't work in China so she probably didn't think of it!!)

She already asked to be driven to get the morning after pill at least once

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
She sounds like a lot more fun than some goon who complains about a stranger on the internet to other strangers

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Nederlands? I believe you mean Heland.

I've never met a Chinese person that understood me when I said I was from the Netherlands, but Holland is fine.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

TheBuilder posted:

how did she afford this with a minimum-wage illegal immigrant job

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Goon project: let's find this girl a husband... I'll start the wiki

ill be the ideas guy

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Nederlands? I believe you mean Helmand.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Lady Galaga posted:

ill be the ideas guy

ill be the husband

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Mapped out a pretty good route today with one of my professors. PRELIMINARILY, I'll arrive in Beijing on June 27th(ish), and from there go Shenyang, Datong, Xi'an, Chengdu, Lijiang, Dali, Kunming, Guilin, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Hanzhou, Sunzhou, Nanjing, Shanghai, Tai'an , Qufu, and finally back to Beijing to depart for home. He wants me to cut that list down further, even though I've already moved Dunhuang and all of Fujian to my B list. Two months seems like enough to see it all though.

I'm booking airfare, hotel, and submitting my visa app tomorrow. Since everything is coming up so quickly, I decided to get a taste for what's coming, so today I bought a homeless Asian man. He smoked heavily right in my face, only 1 in every 10 words he spoke might have been English, and he begged for money, but he was also very friendly and didn't steal my bag when I left it at the table on accident, so I thought it was a pretty good exchange.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Zipline posted:

I'm booking airfare, hotel, and submitting my visa app tomorrow. Since everything is coming up so quickly, I decided to get a taste for what's coming, so today I bought a homeless Asian man.

That's right, buy an Eastern manservant to accompany you on your trip. It's a smart move

Zipline
May 9, 2013

simplefish posted:

That's right, buy an Eastern manservant to accompany you on your trip. It's a smart move

Well somebody has to hold my bags when I visit the ruins of the Summer Palace to argue that the British ransacking was justified. Unfortunately the guy I purchased won't work, he's Vietnamese and lived in Korea for a while. I mentioned I was going to China and he got visibly angry.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That's 15 cities. Under 2 months. That's an average of 2 days per city including travel time. You might as well sit and sleep in a tour bus all the time

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

it's my wei or the highwei

Zipline
May 9, 2013

caberham posted:

That's 15 cities. Under 2 months. That's an average of 2 days per city including travel time. You might as well sit and sleep in a tour bus all the time

Yeah, I can see why he wants me to cut it down. The cities I must do for sure are Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu, and Suzhou. Everything else is B list I suppose. The cities we picked are in a roughly circular path around the country, and some only require a day or two, but others like Beijing and Chengdu are probably a week or longer since there's stuff nearby I want to do as well. There's just so much to visit.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

60/15 = 2 ??? i thought chinese were good at math...

here's my suggestion: Beijing -> Xi'an -> Chengdu -> Lijiang -> Dali -> Kunming -> Guilin -> Guangzhou -> Hong Kong -> Hangzhou -> Suzhou -> Shanghai -> Nanjing -> Beijing

i'd fly from Beijing to Xi'an and from Xi'an to Chengdu, for the rest you could probably take a train i guess. maybe from HK to Hangzhou as well? you could use sleeper trains to cut down on wasted time.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
what does an elegant dress code mean in china

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zipline posted:

Mapped out a pretty good route today with one of my professors. PRELIMINARILY, I'll arrive in Beijing on June 27th(ish), and from there go Shenyang, Datong, Xi'an, Chengdu, Lijiang, Dali, Kunming, Guilin, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Hanzhou, Sunzhou, Nanjing, Shanghai, Tai'an , Qufu, and finally back to Beijing to depart for home. He wants me to cut that list down further, even though I've already moved Dunhuang and all of Fujian to my B list. Two months seems like enough to see it all though.

I'm booking airfare, hotel, and submitting my visa app tomorrow. Since everything is coming up so quickly, I decided to get a taste for what's coming, so today I bought a homeless Asian man. He smoked heavily right in my face, only 1 in every 10 words he spoke might have been English, and he begged for money, but he was also very friendly and didn't steal my bag when I left it at the table on accident, so I thought it was a pretty good exchange.

This is too many places. You will be traveling constantly.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Synonamess Botch posted:

what does an elegant dress code mean in china

When you go to the WC you are expected to get at least 30% of your piss in the urinal

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

LentThem posted:

how did she afford this with a minimum-wage illegal immigrant job

She was working 6 days a week in a sushi restaurant making tips only. Most nights she was making 120 to 175. The restaurant owners were also providing her board and food in their home. They were decent people, they just never take any time for themselves or with their son. ( poor guy didn't meet his dad for 12 years, parents left for USA in a container ship when he was a newborn)

So anyway, after almost 2 years of work, she made something like $55k. She sent a lot of it to her parents, but she still has a pretty good nest egg. (She wants to buy a car for herself now) I don't think this is standard for most immigrants working in restaurants, the other Fujian run buffets and poo poo around here are at basically slave wages.

I'm stressing pretty bad right now though; wife, daughter and I are headed back to China for the month of June and I can only imagine the dumb poo poo she is going to try while we are gone.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if there is a way you could somehow get her to post her adventures where I could read it I'll do something like get you an av cert or buy you platinum or something, I dunno, but I just wanna experience these adventures as they are happening because my life is boring now

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheBuilder posted:

She was working 6 days a week in a sushi restaurant making tips only. Most nights she was making 120 to 175. The restaurant owners were also providing her board and food in their home. They were decent people, they just never take any time for themselves or with their son. ( poor guy didn't meet his dad for 12 years, parents left for USA in a container ship when he was a newborn)

So anyway, after almost 2 years of work, she made something like $55k. She sent a lot of it to her parents, but she still has a pretty good nest egg. (She wants to buy a car for herself now) I don't think this is standard for most immigrants working in restaurants, the other Fujian run buffets and poo poo around here are at basically slave wages.

I'm stressing pretty bad right now though; wife, daughter and I are headed back to China for the month of June and I can only imagine the dumb poo poo she is going to try while we are gone.

If all she wants is to lie around and watch tv and have a husband why have you not hooked her up with some area goon?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just tell her we want to hear the adventures of a beautiful post 80's girl in America. Many of us are wealthy and American, we might be moved by her plight.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The problem is that her expectations don't match the reality. She is super picky - guys must be taller than 180cm, former soldiers or tough dudes, etc. She isn't unattractive, but she has no conversational skills, and she lies about her status situation when first talking to people. (Which is why she stole the car to make it look like she had a drivers license, mobility)

It wouldn't be hard for her to get a green card. Just marry and adjust, even on her overstayed visa. But a lot of guys here can't deal with having to pick her up all of the time, or they think her immigration status makes them marks for some kind of green card scam.

I hope sis in law will be gone in 6 to 9 months, but she would prefer to live here in her current setting then to head back home for an arranged marriage.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

twitter will improve her conversation skills

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
So will Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
ICE must be on furlough where we live because we've got undocumented people running wild here owning restaurants and buying cars. They don't give a poo poo unless people are committing felonies or violent crime. Maybe the IRS needs to get involved.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Congratulations on naming a federal agency even more poorly funded and staffed than ICE.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Looks like I'm actually arriving and departing from Shanghai, not Beijing. So here's a question: should I start my trip around China from Shanghai going clockwise or counterclockwise? I'm assuming temperatures are going to be even hotter in the south in August than they are in July. But the north will be even colder then too...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Everywhere on that list is going to be hot as gently caress, I don't think it matters. I also would cut that list in half. I've heard lots of mixed things about Lijiang and Dali, mostly about them being super fake tourist places. I would at least just go to one or the other. I'm not sure what is interesting in Shenyang. Everybody says Hangzhou is lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not sure what is interesting in Shenyang.

Manchu palaces and tombs. The Shenyang International Horticultural Exposition Garden might be worthwhile, but I'm not sure; I went there in 2006 when the expo was underway.