Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I genuinely hate those stupid Irish holodeck village episodes, I still can't believe they made two of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

There are many kinds of terrible. One kind is just a complete loving bore that you forget in five minutes. Much of Voyager is this. Threshold is the kind of terrible where you want to make everyone you know watch it immediately so they can experience it. It's the good kind of bad.

Was about to make this exact post. The bad episodes of Voyager are where they get into some mild peril that's resolved by ten minutes of technobabble script filler and Janeway is condescending to the cardboard cutout antagonists of the episode, Threshold is at least fun in the same way TNG's Conspiracy was

Tighclops posted:

I genuinely hate those stupid Irish holodeck village episodes, I still can't believe they made two of them

oh christ these were the worst too

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i wish we got an episode where the holodeck comes alive and tries to kill the person on it in voyager, but instead of boring rear end sherlock holmes poo poo paris' charger came to life and we got a weird christine ripoff

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tighclops posted:

It's analogous to Code of Honour to a certain degree. But yes I can't believe these actually escaped whatever poo poo filter exists within most humans.

I'm re-watching Enterprise Season 3. Some awful filler but it's reasonably decent overall, except that poor Travis gets to do and say gently caress all².

I only watched about 8 episodes total from Seasons 1 and 2 - most of them were loving shite. What's Season 4 like, apart from the finalé?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Season 4 is mostly multi-part episode arcs and a lot of stuff that connects to TOS. It's somewhat divisive but most people seem to think it's the best season, which I agree with.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Grand Fromage posted:

Season 4 is mostly multi-part episode arcs and a lot of stuff that connects to TOS. It's somewhat divisive but most people seem to think it's the best season, which I agree with.

I want to skip the WW2 arc, doesn't seem interesting. The next few OK?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Riker x Sexy Irish Shrew

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I want to skip the WW2 arc, doesn't seem interesting. The next few OK?

The WW2 arc is delightful cheese; skipping it means you don't want to watch Bakula punch out alien Nazis!

The rest of the season is pretty solid. After the WW2 two-parter, there's a standalone ep that's really good character stuff, then a three-parter that's good IIRC.

Just skip the final episode, "These Are the Voyages..." It shits all over the entire show.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Wait, there were only two? I thought there were way more, like it was a running side-story for the season or something.

Admittedly, I haven't watched Voyager in a long time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm watching TNG s7 e15 Lower Decks and oh god LaVelle's awkward bar banter attempt with Riker is probably the most uncomfortable I've ever felt watching Trek.

edit: Jesus, picard meaner here than he was as Locutus or in Picard

Taurek is a good Vulcan, good Vulcan intonation, i dig it.

This dude Ben kicks rear end, citizen casually chumming w jr officers and senior alike.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 5, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Veotax posted:

Wait, there were only two? I thought there were way more, like it was a running side-story for the season or something.

Admittedly, I haven't watched Voyager in a long time.

I'm continually surprised by that as well. There's the "delete the wife" episode, which is the first one. And then the "the town becomes self-aware and tries to kill the crew" episode, which is the second and final of the pair. I think people just blur it together with the old timey pub and Janeway's Victorian nanny adventures from early Voyager, so that's why it feels like there's more of them--similar setting and feeling.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Shyrka posted:

House of Quark is a banger though.

"I've come to answer the challenge of D'Gor, Son of... whatever," is a line that lives rent free in my head.

multijoe posted:

Quark getting Gowron and the council reading through financial inventories is an all-time classic scene too

Hell yeah that ep rules. Gowron is hilarious, his line delivery on "you have used... money" and "this pathetic little man" and "Quirk" are so perfect. He also gets a super dramatic "mevyap!!!!" in there, really sets the standard for Klingons yelling at people.

That ep also sets up Looking for Parmach in All the Wrong Places which might even be better. RDM really knocked it out of the park.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm continually surprised by that as well. There's the "delete the wife" episode, which is the first one. And then the "the town becomes self-aware and tries to kill the crew" episode, which is the second and final of the pair. I think people just blur it together with the old timey pub and Janeway's Victorian nanny adventures from early Voyager, so that's why it feels like there's more of them--similar setting and feeling.
There's also the actual Oirish village from TNG, which probably gets blurred in people's head. If I had five slips of latinum for every time they went for the rustic Irish village, I'd have twenty or twenty-five slips... which isn't a lot, but it's weird it happened that often.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nessus posted:

There's also the actual Oirish village from TNG, which probably gets blurred in people's head. If I had five slips of latinum for every time they went for the rustic Irish village, I'd have twenty or twenty-five slips... which isn't a lot, but it's weird it happened that often.

Which is also not to be confused with the rustic Scottish planet where Bev had such a good time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think it would have really spiced up DS9 if we actually got to see Miles and Julian eating absolute poo poo at the Alamo at least once on screen. They talk about it all the time, but they never actually show it. Gimme A Fist Full Of Datas, only it's O'Brien and Bashir vs. like 50 Dukats at the Alamo on the holodeck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nessus posted:

Up the Long Ladder may be the worst TNG episode that isn’t Code of Honor, Shades of Gray, or Sub Rosa

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
No. Stop showing us things that can never live up to our mind's eye. Do you really want to see Morn speak? What Guinan's deal is? Of course not, you just think you do because you're bored and life is without meaning

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

No. Stop showing us things that can never live up to our mind's eye. Do you really want to see Morn speak? What Guinan's deal is? Of course not, you just think you do because you're bored and life is without meaning

That's cowardice talking. Let's see what's out there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress dude, Lower Decks ending with Sito MIA/dead is brutal

felt sadder at her eulogy than tasha's

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Tighclops posted:

If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Space is death and disease wrapped in darkness and silence!

Too bad my ex took the whole drat planet in the divorce.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Khanstant posted:

gently caress dude, Lower Decks ending with Sito MIA/dead is brutal

felt sadder at her eulogy than tasha's

what feels particularly perverse about it is that she had zero opportunity to change her fate. She was basically sent to die. But that’s probably what makes the episode feel like more than just empty fluff. And also a reminder that starfleet is the military after all

Vidiot
Apr 4, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it would have really spiced up DS9 if we actually got to see Miles and Julian eating absolute poo poo at the Alamo at least once on screen. They talk about it all the time, but they never actually show it. Gimme A Fist Full Of Datas, only it's O'Brien and Bashir vs. like 50 Dukats at the Alamo on the holodeck.

Battle of the Alaimos

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

You will never come up against a greater adversary than your own potential.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vidiot posted:

Battle of the Alaimos

I realized what I was courting after I made that post but thought it was gauche to point it out myself, so thank you for that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tighclops posted:

You don't have to keep watching Star Trek if you really don't want to.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

You don't have to keep watching Star Trek if you really don't want to.

It's like we need a second Legacy Trek containment thread that's just "Legacy Trek, but for people who've been existentially scarred by New Trek and won't shut up about it."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nessus posted:

Originally they had planed for a spin off with a starfleet crew stuck in rustic Irish village for the entire run, but Meaney heard about it, and said he would burn down the set and haunt their dreams, if they tried.

He would of been right to do do. :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m burning through a few early season TNG episodes and they’re mostly okay but, man, it feels like forever before we got the good PIcard, instead of the one that’s a super annoying taskmaster and barks out single word orders.

One more “discuss.” “theorize.” “strategize.” “extrapolate.”

Like they had to remind the writers that he can speak in sentences every now and then.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Picard chills out noticeably over the course of the show. His character develops pretty slowly and it’s rarely like the A plot of an episode is “Picard chills out” but he definitely is colder and more uptight at the start of the show.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it’s mostly because I never really go back to anything before season two except when I’m really desperate for a marathon. Seasons one/two aren’t bad, they’re just 80s campy, and I guess it turns out that Picard’s character is the part of early TNG I dislike the most.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I think it’s mostly because I never really go back to anything before season two except when I’m really desperate for a marathon. Seasons one/two aren’t bad, they’re just 80s campy, and I guess it turns out that Picard’s character is the part of early TNG I dislike the most.

Yeah i know what you mean. Piller era is much more rewatchable

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think early Picard is quite interesting in his own right. That personality certainly fits better with a lot of his very naval, upper class and austere hobbies.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But later Picard toots a flute.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Xibanya posted:

what feels particularly perverse about it is that she had zero opportunity to change her fate. She was basically sent to die. But that’s probably what makes the episode feel like more than just empty fluff. And also a reminder that starfleet is the military after all

One thing that stings is that as far as her friends knew, the last interaction she had with Picard was him straight dissing her. We know it was a test and he compliments her character over the intercom -- but like, he's the captain. It would be super lovely to dump on her regardless of his feelings and if I were one of her friends, ultimately in the dark, like, I'd probably lose some respect for Picard.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Martytoof posted:

But later Picard toots a flute.

He also smooshes the cooch :heysexy:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The one saving grace about Voyager’s Irish village episodes is that Garrett Wang was convinced not to do an embarrassing cod Oirish accent as he wanted to.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zaroff posted:

The one saving grace about Voyager’s Irish village episodes is that Garrett Wang was convinced not to do an embarrassing cod Oirish accent as he wanted to.

Sounds like an improvement

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That test is very out of character for late Picard, and honestly following it with praise and then a suicide mission feels really brainwashy/abusive.

That said, that ensign is a hard as nails Bajoran with a Klingon for a role model; she knew what she was doing.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Picard had it in for the bajoran girls. He got Sito killed or gulag’ed and he basically runs Ro out of Starfleet.