Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SimonChris posted:

Velvet Gewgaw

I love Psychonauts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SimonChris posted:

Velvet Gewgaw

I think that on consideration it was Glenn Baxter that I was being reminded of.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Star Impact

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Star Impact has the best colouring.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

And that’s it for me posting Sweetness and Lightning!

I read through Sweetness and Lightning a few years ago, but it's been lovely following along with your abridged posting of it and now I feel like I wanna go read it again. Thank you for sharing!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I might be back to post more, I have a few series (both manga and western comics) that I’m bouncing around in my brain. If I do decide to keep posting, I hope y’all enjoy, and if not I’ll still be around and lurking until the end of days.

I look forward to seeing what you post next!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm going with OK on the extremely strange Margaret Atwood comic because I'm assuming Atwood et al won't care and would rather it forgotten and it's short enough that it shouldn't cause too much insanity in the thread

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

CLOWN MEAT by Josh Pettinger (previously of SEX TROUSERS)

ONE-SHOT

THE END

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
my only real issue with star impact is that its sorta boring for the protag's special power in a world of stands/quirks/cursed techniques/devil fruit boxing to just be "big hit"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Farg posted:

my only real issue with star impact is that its sorta boring

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

And that’s it for me posting Sweetness and Lightning!

Thanks for posting it! It was extremely adorable and full of good vibes. I'll probably check out more of it at some point and whatever else you post, if you do

Farg posted:

my only real issue with star impact is that its sorta boring for the protag's special power in a world of stands/quirks/cursed techniques/devil fruit boxing to just be "big hit"

It kind of is, but it’s an approach that historically works pretty well. Usually plots like that will have the antagonists using increasingly powerful yet convoluted abilities that the protagonist needs to solve through a combination of wits and pluck (see: JoJo) so they can get in that one decisive blow. The reverse can also work where the protagonist has a seemingly weak ability that they manage to use very cleverly against juggernauts, but that can be much trickier to write in a satisfying way especially since it’s usually less dramatic visually. Speaking of JoJo, I hope it returns to the thread because we were really about to get to some batshit shenanigans

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Mar 8, 2024

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Blarghalt posted:

I've considered posting a Let's Read of it in BSS since it's only three issues because you really do have to see this poo poo in its totality to appreciate the insanity

I'm intrigued by this, never looked into it to find out if it was bad though. I've never read much Atwood but the interviews I read from her about Angel Catbird made it sound like she considered herself to be deigning to dip her toes into the crude and unworthy medium of superhero comics in order to graciously elevate them to the level of literature. I have to say, that attitude really didn't make me want to read the comics!

A Let's Read of Batman Odyssey would be fun. I remember howling with laughter at Comics Alliances' serialized deconstruction of it. Can't believe it's been over a decade since those articles were first posted, good grief.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Mere moments away from from the revelation of the perfect man (healthy/kind to animals/kills nazis)

E: talking about Joey's Special Experience here

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress Akira Toriyama just died

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Well poo poo. And he was only 68, too.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Emzedoh posted:

Well poo poo. And he was only 68, too.

Dude never even got a chance to step away from Goku and properly enjoy his giant piles of cash. Well, I gotta give him props for being one of the most influential artists out there

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Amazing ending, didn't see it coming.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

wow gently caress

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

God damnit that suuuuucks!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 07:29 on Mar 8, 2024

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Another coloring

once I started with these ice cream tones I just couldn't stop.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
why do the "reptiloid" tentacle medusas have pubes? for some reason that is the detail that is a bridge too far :mad:

also thanks for posting Sweetness and Lightning! It was very sweetness, not so much lightning, and Tsumugi remained precious the whole way through :3:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Edit: Forgot to say, thanks for posting Sweetness and Lightning!

Blarghalt posted:

And there's cat facts!

please look at this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APrBdP0bBJM

Cat people run
Run like the wind

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 33: Miyamoto's Birthday

Red bean paste? Surely the translator's done a whoopsy there, right? Right?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Emzedoh posted:

Red bean paste? Surely the translator's done a whoopsy there, right? Right?

Probabably referring to red adzuki beans which have a pleasant fruity taste. the Japanese use that paste in everything sweet.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

That's what I'm saying though - they're making gyoza, savoury meat dumplings.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A Tiger Tiger intermission
Starring The Brother, and various vintage undergarments

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah but I cant think of what ingredient they got wrong could possibly be.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

ribbit

Tree Bucket posted:

A Tiger Tiger intermission
Starring The Brother, and various vintage undergarments

I guess the eclair costs extra.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

why do the "reptiloid" tentacle medusas have pubes? for some reason that is the detail that is a bridge too far :mad:

They are French.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm going with OK on the extremely strange Margaret Atwood comic because I'm assuming Atwood et al won't care and would rather it forgotten and it's short enough that it shouldn't cause too much insanity in the thread

This a greenlight to post the entire thing in here?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Blarghalt posted:

This a greenlight to post the entire thing in here?

DO IIIIIIITTTT

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im going to buy Hogge Wild an account again, to stop this

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Okay... say what you like about Atwood, she's not accidentally writing this kind of hack dialogue. What's going on here, is it a parody? It's this close to stardust the super wizard.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Maybe she was caught in some kind of a contractual obligation and had to license out her name but didn't really contribute? best case scenerio.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Maybe she was caught in some kind of a contractual obligation and had to license out her name but didn't really contribute? best case scenerio.

Oh no, I have definite proof she both wrote the dialogue and the story, and that the comic is in fact a vanity project of hers. More on that when I post the pages.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Deredere is Japanese onomatopoeia for being lovestruck. It’s usually combined with another Japanese word to describe a type of anime girl.

Tsundere are mean and harsh, but love you. They often get embarrassed by affection and hide it behind scorn. The most famous member of the archetype is Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Kuudere are cold and emotionless, but love you. They are typically extremely stoic but show small signs of affection for there beloved that tend to be presented as being deeply meaningful. The most famous example of a kuudere is Rei, also from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Whether Rei or Asuka are better love interests is one of the Great Fandom Shipping Wars. It’s died down a bit now that the Rebuild of Evangelion series of movies are finally over.

There’s also the yandere, which is a girl that is murderously in love with someone, who will enact no end of violence to get with their beloved. I guess the most recent well known example is Yamai Ren from Komi Can’t Communicate, a character that most people can’t stand. It’s a character type for people with brains more broken than the average/casual anime fan.

Anime was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it feels like she genuinely thinks "Oh, this is how people talk in comic books"