Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Baronjutter posted:

At my school the boys could choose shop class and the girls home ec. For some reason loving around with a lathe didn't really teach a lot of important life skills, not even lathe safety.
Ah, we had Home Ec for the boys, too. I mean it's not like there's the expectation people get married straight out of high school anymore, at the very least.

EDIT: We got to pick a stuffed animal to make with a kit once we'd mastered the basic sewing stuff and I did an orca and it turned out horrible. It was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

im so fuckin glad i grew up in a family where cooking was a family activity and everyone did it and enjoyed cooking and teaching recipes to each other, for real

Lol I had to learn to cook to feed my younger siblings because my parents were never home. Lil fuckers ate a lot of Mac n cheese there for a while

Every thing I know about cooking now is because I had a roommate in college with a huge thing for Giada and we watched a lot of food network.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Do most high schools not have a required Home Ec class? Mine did and that's where I learned to cook.

EDIT: Also learned basic sewing and washing dishes by hand and stuff.

Mine was elective but I took it because I was a little food nerd and wanted to spend school time cooking. But not everyone had to take it.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I can't seem to convince my husband that cooking is a good life skill to have though. he's like 'why would I bother, who cares, I can eat frozen pizza and if I'm really that hungry I can cook' (he can make grilled cheese, scrambled eggs, and buttered spaghetti on his own, apparently. he's made the latter twice in the 4 years we've been together.) he said he took culinary in high school but uhh I don't know how useful that's been.

I'm like, it's good and fun! but he doesn't find cooking interesting and it's too time-consuming and it's not worth the effort. he seems to see food in that basic way of 'I eat, I'm not hungry anymore, I can go back to playing video games now'

I can probably put a lot of the lack of knowledge on him growing up in lovely situations and not having people to teach him, but we are in a better place now.

I cook for him because I don't want him to die, by the way. and because I love to cook and share my skills, and he likes everything I make for us. but also I want to cry tbh

I've always had an interest in cooking and creating stuff in general. I love cooking shows, I love learning new recipes and techniques, I enjoy the prep and process.

but it's a basic life skill, it doesn't necessarily have to be enjoyable (cleaning the toilet and doing the dishes sure isn't) for you to do it, but it can be! and it should be! if you try!

no one really taught me how to cook, my parents cooked a lot and I liked their food for the most part but I mostly taught myself and learned through books and websites and shows.

(no I don't think it's cute or funny that he can't cook, it's really sad)

snoo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 15, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We had ‘home ec’ in jr. high, but it was like ‘thread a needle and sew around the edge of an index card’ ‘these are the different sections you fill in on a check’. We mmmmmmmight have gotten lessons about the kitchen, but for the life of me I don’t remember cooking anything; maybe we made cookies. But it was mostly ‘here’s how you balance a checkbook’ in the days before you could just check your account online. I wonder how many old standard home ec lessons are teetering in obsolete these days?

The most important lesson we learned was ‘when you take out the trash, don’t rummage through the bag to huff diapers full of poo poo.’ No idea where I’d be in life now if I hadn’t heard that glorious wisdom.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

we made pizza bagels in home ec :downs:

I still make them sometimes

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
man I was hoping the baby poo poo huffer story would be enough to head off pages of goons going "if you're not making souffles by age 10 you're a hopeless idiot fucker" / "my parents locked me in a basement and I didn't learn what a frying pan was until age 20"

oh well

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

girl pants posted:

man I was hoping the baby poo poo huffer story would be enough to head off pages of goons going "if you're not making souffles by age 10 you're a hopeless idiot fucker" / "my parents locked me in a basement and I didn't learn what a frying pan was until age 20"

oh well

We’d much rather talk about ourselves than face that horror.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

loving rampant helplessness these days

Nobody wants to do anything unless theyre an immediate expert at it, and it runs throughout every single walk of life and type of person.

This is the reason why engineers refuse to attempt creative endevours and why creative types think mathematics is some sort of arcane, occult language. Once you get past a certain age nobody is willing to learn anymore, and that age is really, extremely young.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've seen two distinct classes of helpless 20-somethings:

The first comes from being totally spoiled. "I tried to get him to help cook or do the laundry but he'd always say no..." There's a parenting school that says to never push your kids to do anything, never "force" them to do chores, all you can do is encourage them otherwise you're some sort of horrible tiger-mom and if your kids don't like you, even for a second, that's just too traumatic for everyone involved. They tend to be middle class or above. These kids learn no life skills because when they were 7 they said they didn't want to help mom with the laundry and at 13 rolled their eyes and went back into their room when dad asked to cook something together and that's that, asking again would be abuse and it's just so much easier to do it for them anyways. If the kids show interest in these things, sure, but until they show their own interest it's wrong to try to get kids to do something they don't want to do.

The second comes from being poor and stressed. Every day mom comes home after working 2 jobs and barely has time to warm up a microwave meal for the kids and she throws the laundry in at the same time in a well rehearsed ritual of critical time saving. Every day is a tense rush and there just isn't time to deal with teaching. Sure it would be a nice help if the kids pitched in more but teaching them requires time and emotional resources, especially if the kids are highly resistant to the idea. The kids learn to take advantage of this situation and use it to get out of most chores and home-tasks. The one time mom tried to teach him laundry he dumped the entire thing of expensive detergent on his 4 year old sister, one time he was asked to help in the kitchen he thought it would be funny to dump the whole thing of salt into the soup. No, just keep the little shits away so there's no expensive or time-wasting gently caress ups.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If there's one thing you can count on us goons for, it's spending pages talking about basic life skills and talking about kids these days

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Harrow posted:

If there's one thing you can count on us goons for, it's spending pages talking about basic life skills and talking about kids these days

Thats two things

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gently caress I can't count to two

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
fair enough, I guess I've contributed to enough useless derails in my time that I can't really complain.

I hate these people:

I [30F] am so mad at my husband [31 M] right now. Highly anticipated date night gone wrong. Married about 6 years.

quote:

submitted 12 hours ago * by luluNova

ETA: I normally plan pretty much everything, but dinner and a movie is something he is perfectly capable of planning and AGREED to plan himself.

We were supposed to go on a date Saturday to see a movie I've been wanting to see and grab dinner. It's time to leave so I look up the times out of curiosity and ask him to double check because google tells me it's no longer in theaters in our city. He looks it up and says "I think you're right". The core of the issue is he hadn't planned anything even though it was agreed that he would be the one planning it. Didn't know where we were going to dinner and clearly never even looked up the movie/time.

What's the big deal--well he is a movie buff and when he plans to go with a buddy you better believe he knows the exact time it starts and is always there 10 mins early. He won't shut up about the movie all week leading up to the day. He plans the whole day around having to be at the theatre a X time, will start looking at the clock as the time approaches, etc.

Ok so he finds out he made an error...and then just leaves it at that. Shows no intentions or initiative to make alternative plans. Goes and pops open him computer. So whatever, I was upset. Why hadn't he planned anything--why is he showing 0 effort to fix it. He got defensive. We argue. I call him out on it and he eventually takes responsibility for not being thorough about making plans. I decided to get over it and move on. We start looking on yelp for restaurants and movie times. But by then it was kind of late, places were closing, and so we decide to NOT make last minute plans. We stay home and agree to do it today (Sunday) at a nearby city where the movie is still playing--he agrees to take care of it!

It's the next day (today Sunday), 5 o clock rolls around he asks me if I still want to go to the movie, keeps asking me if we're going. I said yes I thought that was the plan and then eventually got sick of it and said stuff like "I don't know, are we? Why do you keep asking me, it's like you're hoping I will change my mind and don't want to go?"

It's dinner time (my mom was over at our house and cooked) I ask him where we are eating--again--NO PLANS. And he's like well do you want to go to dinner or eat here? DEJAVU. He goes to sit at the table and eat. Says we could just get desert somewhere after the movie. I say things like "you didn't plan anything?...why do I have to figure it out...once again you haven't made plans. We literally just argued about this the night before."

I was so mad. He knew this. I sit at the table but don't eat. I excused myself and went into my room. Told him it sounded like he actually didn't want to go anywhere with me because he kept asking me if we're doing it or not all day. I said "that's just fine go see the movie you actually want to see and I will just stay home and study." I was pissed and clearly speaking out of anger. He knows me well enough to know that.

I'm thinking he is going to come and talk to me, to try an tell me "my intentions were this or that" to try to resolve the issue so we can have our very anticipated night out. But no. After dinner without saying anything or saying bye as he always does...as I was in the bedroom he just leaves. Leaves my son with my mom. Went to the movies with my step dad--to see a different one he actually wanted to see.

I know I told him "fine go". What is making me cry right now is not that he went to the movie itself but rather 1)he didn't make plans AGAIN right after we argued and made up less than 24 hours before. I always have to plan absolutely everything whenever we travel or go anywhere. He knows it means a lot to me and it is why him doing it matters

2)he didn't think about my feelings and he KNEW I was upset before he left

3)tonight wasn't important enough for him to want to fix or salvage

4) I really believe he actually wanted to go see some other movie and was trying to find a way out but wasn't man enough to admit it or confront me

5)He is capable of planning and paying attention when it is related to him, but those abilities and his resourcefulness goes out the door when it's something else, so obviously I am not a priority and he's selfish

Meanwhile, I was home fuming. He then comes home and is literally acting like nothing happened. He's on the phone with his brother, gets in bed, just like that. He tries to ask me something irrelevant and I remind him I am upset with him. So you think this is the part where he explains himself? Nope. He just turns around and goes to sleep.

How would you react? How should I react? I am so mad. This is just the cherry on the sundae for me. I have been feeling so frustrated in other ways. I feel like I have nobody to talk to who won't judge him/hold it against him in real life if I open up. I feel like my life would be happier without him in it.

tl;dr: Very anticipated date night Saturday. Argued with husband about him not making plans, we agree to raincheck until tomorrow. Next day comes around and he does it again--no plans. I get upset. Then he leaves without me. Comes home and acts like nothing happened. How would you react? How should I react? I am so mad.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
You know it's a bad story when the best possible outcome is "maybe he gets off on any poo poo". The best she can hope for is he's just got a generalised scat/diaper fetish and his son's diapers are the nearest convenient source, but that's very much the best of a very bad bunch.

At least he's the receiver, I guess. making GBS threads on your kid is definitely worse than making GBS threads on the dishwasher.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PetraCore posted:

Do most high schools not have a required Home Ec class? Mine did and that's where I learned to cook.

EDIT: Also learned basic sewing and washing dishes by hand and stuff.

Home Economics was purely elective at my school district. I'm inclined to agree that it should be mandatory (and should also include personal finance).

The lovely thing is that in a lot of school districts, the elementary/primary schools really fail to get a lot of kids up to where they need to be, which leads to middle schools and especially high schools dumping remedial math/English courses on them in a desperate effort to get their state test scores up. Unfortunately those remedial courses take up time that used to be available for electives. Honestly if it wasn't for state and university requirements that kids have at least a couple years of a second language under their belt, I think we'd have seen huge swathes of (poorer) American schools straight up dropping foreign languages altogether.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Home Economics was purely elective at my school district. I'm inclined to agree that it should be mandatory (and should also include personal finance).

The lovely thing is that in a lot of school districts, the elementary/primary schools really fail to get a lot of kids up to where they need to be, which leads to middle schools and especially high schools dumping remedial math/English courses on them in a desperate effort to get their state test scores up. Unfortunately those remedial courses take up time that used to be available for electives. Honestly if it wasn't for state and university requirements that kids have at least a couple years of a second language under their belt, I think we'd have seen huge swathes of (poorer) American schools straight up dropping foreign languages altogether.

i can't believe theyve survived even this long considering american conservative opinions re: "speaking 'Murican if you wanna live here"

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oh my gosh you lot always do this as soon as there’s a cooking related story. Jesus, is this what you do in countries where you don’t have a well developed class system so need to find another reason to look down on people?

[Non-Romantic] My [24f] sister [20f] hasn't spoken to me in almost a year. We are meeting with her therapist for the first time on Thursday.

quote:

u/ramblingkite
My sister and I always fought as kids, but I just considered it to be normal. When I was in middle school I would do mean older sibling things like put her in a closet and lean on the door so she couldn't get out, hit her (or hit her back if she started it), and say things like she's ugly or gross. I don't condone what I did, but I think it's normal based on what I have seen and heard from friends and family members.

We have gotten along mostly well for the past few years, to the point where we would have sleepovers and go to the movies and out to dinner a lot. We have a lot in common and like all the same things, so we were always chatting. Then about a year ago my sister decided/realized she had PTSD from sibling abuse and stopped talking to me. She dropped out of school, moved in with our grandparents, and began seeing a therapist and attending support groups for victims of abusive families. I think it's all a little ridiculous to be completely honest, but she has always been sensitive and dramatic. She is the kind of person who would SCREAM at the top of their lungs with no warning at you to be quiet because she's reading, she would go off in a second if you nicely asked her to do a chore, and she would scream and cry if you hit her not even that hard - then hit you back viciously and jump on you and stomp on your stomach. I'm not saying her feelings aren't valid and real to her, but it has always been extremely frustrating with her so it does sort of make sense to me that she would take this farther than what it really warrants.

I'm the opposite. I'm quiet and think about the consequences of my actions, never one to explode. Even when I was doing mean things to her when I was much younger, I knew it was wrong, it was more for entertainment because I didn't think I was hurting her, just kind of tormenting her? It was all super stupid in hindsight, but basically what I mean is that I don't want to fight in this meeting or cry or get emotional about our reunion. I just want to go back to normal when we got along for the past few years. I don't know if that's possible.

So, you can kinda see why this meeting is making me nervous. I myself see a therapist and she told me I should not meet with my sister and her therapist because it's not an even playing field. Instead, she recommended seeing a new therapist together or me meeting with her therapist individually before meeting all together. Unfortunately, this is the only option that really works because she is moving back to school this weekend, so unless I want to wait until the spring when she comes home for the summer, we need to talk this out now.

I don't know how to approach this situation.

I know my natural reaction will be to defend myself or analyze her actions as I have done here, but I know that is not helpful and will probably not make her want to forgive me. On the other hand, all I can really do is apologize for the past, for things I did as a little kid, and remind her I've been very kind to her in the past few years and plan to continue on that way assuming she wants to have a relationship.

Since it's all really difficult for me to understand her POV, the best ways to express my perception are through the following two examples:

When I was 5 or 6 years old I was playing hide and seek with my dad. I hid in a little lift-top bench in our entryway and he knew I was in there, so he decided to joke with me by sitting on it. I was terrified, more scared than I have ever been in my life. It's one of the first moments of my life I remember very vividly. When you're that little, you don't understand you're being joked with. I thought I was trapped in there forever and I would die. In reality, I was only "trapped" for about 5-10 seconds, but I have been claustrophobic ever since. I need to take medication when flying in planes, I hate rooms without windows, etc. It's complicated because even though my dad inflicted that on me, I recognize that he did not intend that in any way and never would have thought it would affect me badly. Forgiveness is the wrong word because I really can't even blame him in the first place.

There is an excerpt of a book I read that made me go "exactly!!" I won't post it here, but it basically is about a woman who went to her parents and told them she forgives them for her problems after giving her a "bad" childhood and they then stopped talking for two years. She had to learn to take responsibility for her actions and perceptions that made her feel that way. I think my sister needs to recognize that it's not everyone else's fault that she is this way. I might consider reading this if there's a natural place for it in the conversation, though it's not a perfect analogy, it really hit on exactly how I have felt this past year.

Do you think these are useful to bring up or just sort of invalidate her feelings? How do I get past the uncomfortable of it all? Am I just supposed to submit and say everything she thinks and feels is right? What do I do if she doesn't want to have a relationship with me anymore?

I just really need advice.

tl;dr: sister and I fought when we were younger, I thought it was normal, she now thinks it was sibling abuse and she has ptsd so she stopped talking to me a year ago. We're meeting on Thursday with her therapist (not ideal) and I don't know how to approach it.

I guess the parents raised two wimps.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

You know it's a bad story when the best possible outcome is "maybe he gets off on any poo poo". The best she can hope for is he's just got a generalised scat/diaper fetish and his son's diapers are the nearest convenient source, but that's very much the best of a very bad bunch.

At least he's the receiver, I guess. making GBS threads on your kid is definitely worse than making GBS threads on the dishwasher.

I was hoping the update would be dad got weird and brokebrained for a bit after the birth of the baby, like that guy that stopped showering after their kid was born. No matter the reason, it’s still beyond the loving pale.

That woman might even be less disgusted if she caught her husband dropping a deuce on their baby.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
The worst part about poo poo sniffer is you're not gonna want to leave him alone with the child ever again until well after they're potty trained.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
My [37M] wife [36F] of 10 years is upset and angry because our kids like my cooking more than hers

quote:

My wife and I have been together for 12 years, married 10. She is a full-time homemaker, taking care of our four kids 8F, 6M, 4F, 2F. Naturally, all the cooking falls to her and that's great because she's a great chef. Both me and my children love her cooking.

I've always casually watched Food Network shows like Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen along with my wife, so cooking food definitely interests me. I am competent in the kitchen but I'm not super great or anything. A few weeks back my wife suffered an accident that left her right arm broken. She's going to be fine but for the time being and next few months, I'm doing all the cooking in the house.

I'm ok with this. I like to cook, and I was eager to expand my skill. Thankfully, my kids ended up loving my food and my wife was pleasantly surprised at how good I was. Unfortunately, when my kids started to say things like "this is the best food ever!" and "this is better than what we usually eat" the problems started.

Now my wife is upset that the kids like my cooking more, and she keeps making these passive aggressive comments about how I should continue cooking anyway after her arm heals because her cooking is poo poo anyway. These are her own words. I keep trying to tell her that the kids are just reacting to something new and that I myself know that I'm not nearly as good a chef as her, but she just doesn't listen. Worse yet, she attempts to cook anyway with a broken arm and this has resulted in 2 broken plates and a broken glass. I absolutely hate when my items get damaged, so I put an end to that behavior quick before further damage occurred. Sometimes she cries her when she thinks I've fallen asleep.

It's gotten to the point where my wife is so upset with being outdone that she refuses any intimacy. She has shied away from my touch for at least 2 weeks now and I haven't kissed her since then either. What the hell do I do to fix this? My mom and dad both think that my wife may be depressed or have some other mental illness to be acting this way.

tl;dr: Wife broke her arm, now I do the cooking. Kids like my cooking more, wife is upset.

I (32m) can't really appreciate my girlfriend (29f) of two years famous home cooking. How do I tell her I'd prefer to keep buying my food?

quote:

I'm a smoker with allergies and a septum injury. I can't taste poo poo unless it's loaded with salt, fat, and sugar. My girlfriend has changed how she cooks and seasons my food but it's not enough.

People rave about her baking but when I look in the pantry I'd rather have Lil Debbie. Cooking for me takes up so much of our time together. We shop, she gardens, she has baking and meal-prep days. All so I can think about Swiss Rolls and smile weakly as she asks how I like the hazelnut tiramisu.

She clearly enjoys it and I feel lovely watching her go to all this effort and I'm not really able to appreciate it. We're talking about moving in together and I'm dying thinking about eating meals that aren't greasy and smothered in hot sauce every. single. night.

tl;dr: I can't move in with my girlfriend and keep living a lie pretending to like my girlfriend's fancy cooking while I'm longing for hamburger helper. What do I do?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

The worst part about poo poo sniffer is you're not gonna want to leave him alone with the child ever again until well after they're potty trained.

If he's got some sexual fetish involving your child you never loving leave him alone with the kid ever again.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Jeza posted:

I (32m) can't really appreciate my girlfriend (29f) of two years famous home cooking. How do I tell her I'd prefer to keep buying my food?

lmao this guy is a bitch

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

girl pants posted:

fair enough, I guess I've contributed to enough useless derails in my time that I can't really complain.

I hate these people:

I [30F] am so mad at my husband [31 M] right now. Highly anticipated date night gone wrong. Married about 6 years.

"How would you react? How should I react? I am so mad. This is just the cherry on the sundae for me. I have been feeling so frustrated in other ways. I feel like I have nobody to talk to who won't judge him/hold it against him in real life if I open up. I feel like my life would be happier without him in it."

dunno why this lady isn't publicly shaming him, dude needs it

sounds like that relationship's over anyway

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jeza posted:

My [37M] wife [36F] of 10 years is upset and angry because our kids like my cooking more than hers
Your wife's thought process is messed up by breaking her arm and being unable to function normally. Try not to tank your relationship by being an rear end in a top hat who can't recognize that when real bad things happen it often takes time to get over them. Like when your arm is broken. It takes time to heal. She'll be back to normal in a month or two. People have ups and downs, and this is an arm-break assisted down.

seriously tho, how can he not recognize this?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 15, 2018

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
poison your kids, that'll show her.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Andy Dufresne posted:

More like you throw the fucker in jail and never allow him around your child again.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Khorne posted:

Your wife's thought process is messed up by breaking her arm and being unable to function normally. Try not to tank your relationship by being an rear end in a top hat who can't recognize that when real bad things happen it often takes time to get over them. Like when your arm is broken. It takes time to heal. She'll be back to normal in a month or two. People have ups and downs, and this is an arm-break assisted down.

seriously tho, how can he not recognize this?

It's possible he's understating about how owned his wife has been getting by her kids on the cooking front. They might be like miniature Gordon Ramsays.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Jeza posted:

It's possible he's understating about how owned his wife has been getting by her kids on the cooking front. They might be like miniature Gordon Ramsays.

WHAT THE FREAK IS THIS, YOU DUMB DORK? *spits out half-chewed dino nugget*

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Jeza posted:

Notoriously fatless and flavorless tiramisu. I hope his septum injury is from getting punched in the face for being a dingus.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
A friend of mine's kid just went off to college and wash and fold and a service to wash and replace the sheets every x number of days was an option as part of the student housing. Not like off campus, dorms, at a state school.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I've seen two distinct classes of helpless 20-somethings:

The first comes from being totally spoiled. "I tried to get him to help cook or do the laundry but he'd always say no..."

I was a variant of this. My mom ran the house the way she wanted and had her way of doing things and preferred that the rest of us not get in the way. Every once in a while I'd ask to do something, but my job was to get good grades and be a kid, and as long as I was doing well in school that was what mattered.

In college I had to learn how to cook and do laundry, although even that wasn't until third year since cooking equipment wasn't allowed in the dorms and the basement laundry machines were ancient and people stole clothes out of them. A girlfriend in high school had already taught me how to do dishes and I'd do those at her house sometimes to help out.

It worked out okay. My house can get messy but nothing extreme. I'm a very good cook and a slow laundry folder. I'm going to involve my children in chores at an early age but that's partly because getting by on a single working parent's salary is not as easy these days and frankly we could use the help around the house.

Edit: We had home ec in middle school but the recipes were fairly complicated and we only worked in groups so that only served to mystify cooking for me. I liked sewing, though.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

A friend of mine's kid just went off to college and wash and fold and a service to wash and replace the sheets every x number of days was an option as part of the student housing. Not like off campus, dorms, at a state school.

I find this very, very hard to believe outside of an Ivy League or other rich exclusive private school.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

My[15F] moms[45F] food is down right disgusting, how can I break it to her?

quote:

My moms cooking is just down right gross. Only she likes it, my dads way too passive to say anything so he ends up either choking it down or having a hot dog or sandwich.

My dad earns a really good salary, my grandmothers an excellent cook(she lives in another state though), my moms home all day, she has tons of cook books, there's no reason for her nasty food.

Some examples:

Plain pasta with olive oil and cinnamon.

The only vegetables she serves are creamed corn and microwaved Lima beans.

More salt than the drama section of Reddit.

Cinnamon goes on everything garlic too.

"Hot dogs". Hot dogs left in warm water for 2 hours fished out and slapped on to a cold hamburger roll with mustard.

And more delicious dishes /s

I've stared to make my own food, I'll set aside the portion of meat for my meal and I buy some vegetables and stuff with money I've made babysitting and tutoring.

She keeps trying to get everyone to eat her food all the time.

How do I break it to her?

tl;dr: My moms food is nasty(cinnamon sprinkled on pasta and olive oil), my dads too passive to say a word.

mmmmmm moist tepid dawgs

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

More like you throw the fucker in jail and never allow him around your child again.

I hope she saved that camera footage for the custody hearings.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Yeah, I'm not arguing in this guy's defense, I just don't see how you keep him from getting shared custody.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

Yeah, I'm not arguing in this guy's defense, I just don't see how you keep him from getting shared custody.

This seems to be my solution for everything these days, but there's always :murder:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Andy Dufresne posted:

Dude, any lawyer in America could get her a protective restraining order and full custody ASAP.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

tactlessbastard posted:

I hope that was something he chose for himself because that would be a hilariously irresponsible thing for a teacher to assign.

I had to do this as a freshman in college for biology lab , and the professor said flat out ‘Every year, someone in one of my classes finds out their parents are not their parents, so if you’re concerned about this, there’s an alternate lab, see me about it’.

Even as a teenage idiot, I thought ‘man, that’s potentially soul-destroying, you’d think they’d do something more innocuous for lab’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jeza posted:

How about you keep your stupid mouth shut, quit smoking, have your septum operated (like you should because you can't breath through your nose and may die one day anyway) and then get to enjoy extremely delicious food for the rest of your life from a person who loves cooking it for you? Holy poo poo what a loving idiot, I bet he'll end up telling this to her and will never understand why the relationship slowly died.