Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Ah this special little one

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932667264/city-limits

quote:

A modern fantasy role-playing game in two books, espionage thriller and urban horror, based in a streamlined universal system.

City Limits - Everything Has Changed

Five years ago, the vortexes broke out. Areas of the world – some as large as a small town –changed, no longer accepting the laws of the world as we know it. A harmless one, in Siberia, always has perfectly still air whatever the wind outside. One near Halifax is perpetually dark, and people who approach its center are plagued by grotesque visions. Around the same time, one in ten people reported hallucinations, usually auditory, that accompanied the breakout of unbelievable abilities. Asylums swelled with people who didn’t yet understand what they’d become, and doctors were at a loss to explain the symptoms. The world stumbled, but it’s recovering. In many of the more dangerous vortexes, evacuations have been successful and perimeters have been safely established. Most of the people who began hearing things have settled into their new lives. But it’s not over yet. Scientists are still completely in the dark about the vortexes, and the world’s laws and infrastructure don’t yet fully account for one in ten people possessing superhuman powers. Governments struggle to reclaim lost areas while participating in the biggest arms race since the Cold War. People on the street try to find their footing again, and feel safe in a world where there’s more than guns and knives at play now. Order is a fragile thing.

Ok doesn't sound that bad right? Maybe a little ripping off Shadowrun, not too terrible.

However

1. Their Kickstarter doesn't explain why they need $11,000 to make an RPG that they apparently have worked on for 10 years

2. The video is terrible and doesn't even have proper audio

3. Their system is called "MOD" and it apparently can be used for anything and is incredibly simple. At no point do they describe what it is or how it's different from all the other universal game systems out there.

4. Their first stretch goal is providing merchandise. Otherwise all the rewards in the kickstarter is their RPG book and some buttons. Oh and you can play a single game over skype with the dev team.

This thing either has to be a scam or someone decided that Kickstarter just gives free money and they should throw up whatever they have. And they've already raised $730.00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

The Rogue Reactions must be studied and, if possible, eliminated before the world can return to normal. The worst provide safe havens for terrorists and other criminals, and even the harmless ones have disrupted the world already. Manifestation Control needs to be analyzed with the primary goal of neutralizing unstable MC-capable civilians. But there’s an arms race going on now. Nations around the world are trying to stabilize new forms of Manifestation Control first, and any given ability may be the key to winning a war that’s looming closer with every experiment. Overt hostilities and covert operations converge in a world that looks like it may never recover.

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Mind Control works the same way.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Shadoer posted:

Ah this special little one

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932667264/city-limits

Ok doesn't sound that bad right? Maybe a little ripping off Shadowrun, not too terrible.

However

1. Their Kickstarter doesn't explain why they need $11,000 to make an RPG that they apparently have worked on for 10 years

2. The video is terrible and doesn't even have proper audio

3. Their system is called "MOD" and it apparently can be used for anything and is incredibly simple. At no point do they describe what it is or how it's different from all the other universal game systems out there.

4. Their first stretch goal is providing merchandise. Otherwise all the rewards in the kickstarter is their RPG book and some buttons. Oh and you can play a single game over skype with the dev team.

This thing either has to be a scam or someone decided that Kickstarter just gives free money and they should throw up whatever they have. And they've already raised $730.00.

$11,000 is probably for an editor, publishing fees and ordering enough copies to justify the publisher's time. (Hopefully an artist too) I don't think its a scam, no; they are just maybe thinking a bit too grandly. That video easily justifies their place here though.

I think its a couple over-eager guys who have been insulated from ridicule for too long. Look how 'wacky' and 'internet' it is. The guy's fake voice is really irritating. What gets me though is how vague they are. They bring up a couple little paragraphs of what they clearly think is some bad-rear end exposition and leave it at that. How are they expecting to people to want to buy something they know almost nothing about? There isn't even like a setting overview, just some really hammy generic roleplaying dialogue.

As an avid table-topping nerd I would comment on their system... but there is nothing to comment on. Other 'framework' systems exist that supposedly do any setting, but they tend to be either an insane mish-mash, or a vague flavorless book of numbers. They have their fans, but this guy does not in any way mention what he is bringing to the table. He wants $11k and he plans to raise it with a video of him drinking Mountain Dew from a wine glass.

That said, if this reaches its funding goal, someone from SA should buy a copy. If all the writing is that good, that could easily be a goldmine thread.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Didn't have to look far for at least one thing to post, the first one was the first result of the recently launched projects.

So there's been movie kickstarters before, asking for a few tens of thousands of dollars to make the next Avatar. This one's different though; it's asking for over a hundred thousand dollars for the first movie in a trilogy about angels and demons waging an invisible war among mortals.

I'm glad to see hobbits coming more and more into their own in the film industry.

Angelix posted:

Storyline:

Two cousins become enmeshed in the fighting between the soldier class angels and demons, of which puts them in a precarious position as both sides use them like chess pieces. As the story unfolds, events unravel revealing a reality you only thought you knew. Jake and Hannah try to do their best to return to a sense of normalcy, but how normal can life be if you are being stalked by both angels and demons? They have been here since time immemorial and know how to get what they want. The problem is, both sides blend in and can be the guy at the coffee stand, your neighbor, or your boss and are trying to tip the scales in hopes to strengthen themselves to be a dominant power.

What side will you choose? What side will choose you?

Pledge use:

Your pledge will be used entirely on the movie. The hardest part of shooting a movie with angels and demons are the effects/CGI, though we are keeping the effects to a useful minimum and relying on actual plot rather than overwhelming you with pointless explosions and monsters. Many of the people working on the project are volunteers and have used their own money for the props, etc. With additional funds, we can tell the story, much like Disney’s Maleficent, but for far, far less.

Also, the devil is in the details with processing, an original score, titling, editing, color correcting, and more – all of which YOU make happen. You are in essence, the driving force to make a quality original film. Of course, with most of the contribution tiers, you’ll have your name in the credits associated with where your pledge has been used such as Special Effects, ADR, Special Thanks, etc.

Then there's this new mobile developer called "Spartan games" who wants to create and release their own game. Sure, mobile games are a saturated market, but I'm sure it'll be-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BduqrtsFWu0

:kratos:

And then there's the usual people looking to take their gaming hobby to the next level, where one guy wants a new computer to make the hottest Let's Plays and another guy who wants to replace his second job with streaming games.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

quote:

The Your the most amazing person in the world Package! You will receive! Infinite love! Its like limited love but better A thank you letter Name Credit at the end of the video Your Channel Advertised Add on Steam Become featured in some Let's play's I will advertise any music you have created as an intro/outro for 15 episodes. And your Channel or what ever it is you would like advertised pertaining to you will be mentioned for 2 months! And you get a 1 on 1 skype call, yea im not like famous but hey why not chat with the person you did so much for and see the appreciation first hand, feel the love via computer screen. Smell the...uh..scent of your own home while seeing a person blessing the ground you walk on. Also get a custom made Hoodie featuring the my youtube channel name and logo (I'm currently in the process of making the youtube channel and logo so bear with me please ty =)
These are words...

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Continuing adventure with low hanging fruits on indiegogo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ophone-duo

quote:

The oPhone is a revolutionary device that, in combination with our free iPhone app “oSnap”, allows you to send and receive electronic aroma messages. Think of it as a kind of telephone for aromas. With the oPhone, you can now bring complex scent texting into your mobile messaging life, and share sensory experience with anyone, anywhere.

I guess even if it's working as advertised, all I'd amount to use it for is sending skunk odours to unsuspecting people.

quote:

Smell-O-Vision, Odorama, iSmell... There is a landfill somewhere filled with all the products that have miserably failed in their quest to deliver a high quality aromatic communication experience. So much so that Google launched an April Fool’s product, just before our first oPhone exhibition, called "Google Nose". Actually, it's interesting to see how much things have changed in 2 years from when Google published their great video and now.

So why have the others failed?

I guess that smell isn't really used for communication. While yes - it's important in daily life, to determine if given thing is safe to eat, to make us feel good when smelling perfume, or warning about decomposing bodies of nearby zombies, we don't really communicate like dogs (that is - smelling each other). Oh... you've written that as well... Um, I rest my case then, I guess? And speaking of dogs...

:nws: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-dogs-bolloxx-fashion-line :nws:

I didn't know that indiegogo allowed explicit content. Oh well, good for them.

quote:

We are The Dogs BolloXX! No seriously, that’s our name. We are a London start up focused on Human Pet Play Accessories and high quality Fetish Kit.

After 1 ½ years in business we want to bring the puppy’s n kittens of this world one more way to show whosagoodboi. With our own line of T-shirts and Tags!

Ok, the project is a little... uncommon (I guess there're not many places where you could ask for money to help distributing fetish gear), and while I'm of the "live and let live" approach the video they've posted is... bizarre.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MrLonghair posted:

They gave $35k to an artist who did nothing and left to work at LucasArts, took at least $15k to themselves for pocket money, the rest to a devteam that was too small and inexperienced with not a single project behind them. Point&Laugh reading: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858550 http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/20/5920079/yogscast-kickstarter-canceled-yogventures-winterkewl

What do they say about this?

There's a shock.

The company developing it is bankrupt as well so good luck to any backers who think they can get a refund.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

eithedog posted:

:nws: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-dogs-bolloxx-fashion-line :nws:

I didn't know that indiegogo allowed explicit content. Oh well, good for them.

Ok, the project is a little... uncommon (I guess there're not many places where you could ask for money to help distributing fetish gear), and while I'm of the "live and let live" approach the video they've posted is... bizarre.

Haha, yeah that's pretty much puppyplay all right. I'd back them if I had the money though, puppyplay shirts aren't very common and they've got some nice designs.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

dovetaile posted:

Haha, yeah that's pretty much puppyplay all right. I'd back them if I had the money though, puppyplay shirts aren't very common and they've got some nice designs.

I don't want to click on that link but I'm very confused to see the word 'puppyplay' in response to something about fetishes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xandu posted:

I don't want to click on that link but I'm very confused to see the word 'puppyplay' in response to something about fetishes.

Puppyplay is when a "sub" is treated literally like a dog by a "dom". Less connected to furries then you'd think, the usual emphasis is on the sub's lower position and humiliation.

That's basic fetish 101. I'm surprised you even know the word "fetish" and not about that.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Jul 21, 2014

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xandu posted:

Why? It's a fetish just like any other.

e

WickedHate posted:

Puppyplay is when a "sub" is treated literally like a dog by a "dom". Less connected to furries then you'd think, the usual emphasis is on the sub's lower position and humiliation.

That's basic fetish 101. I'm surprised you even know the word "fetish" and not about that.

Basically this, except without the scare quotes. (Although not all puppyplay is about humiliation. :eng101: )

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

WickedHate posted:

Ok. I'm familiar with the concept of dom/sub, just hadn't heard it referred to as that and was confused by the mention of puppies.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Xandu posted:

If puppyplay doesn't count as a fetish to you, I don't want to know what you consider one.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

why is gbs suddenly really :eng101: about fetish stuff?

literally never heard of puppyplay and I never want to hear it again

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dovetaile posted:

Basically this, except without the scare quotes. (Although not all puppyplay is about humiliation. :eng101: )

Oh, those weren't scare quotes, I was just using them because they aren't commonly used terms outside of those circles.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Less connected to furries then you'd think

Literally all the people I've heard of being into this are furries, tbf.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

I just like to have normal sex. No weird kinky stuff.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

tonberrytoby posted:

If puppyplay doesn't count as a fetish to you, I don't want to know what you consider one.
You know, maybe he was actually thinking of puppies, playing.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

moerketid posted:

Literally all the people I've heard of being into this are furries, tbf.

I'm not! TMI, I know but still...

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

WickedHate posted:

In my limited leather/shibari beginner experience it is the worst fetish in the world, because it basically empowers lolrandom people to charge around busy workshops or events being clumsy assholes because they are "puppies" that "don't know better." Then again I might just know more than the average number of irritating bratty subs, and they'd be doing that poo poo anyway under some other guise.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

theironjef posted:

In my limited leather/shibari beginner experience it is the worst fetish in the world, because it basically empowers lolrandom people to charge around busy workshops or events being clumsy assholes because they are "puppies" that "don't know better." Then again I might just know more than the average number of irritating bratty subs, and they'd be doing that poo poo anyway under some other guise.

:laffo: this topic got retarded really quick

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
When I dress up in my shitzuit, I think that's a pretty important part of it, not just to take my doggie "suppositories" but also to fully play the part of a rambunctious and naive member of the canine family. If I'm not tearing into a pillow to get disciplined, the discipline seems rather hollow, this goes ditto for peeing on shoes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theironjef posted:

I've heard of otherkin sometimes physically acting like (x), but why people who are just into BDSM or something? Why would they take "I have a fetish" to mean they can bring that into a public setting? Gross.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Those are just irritating bratty rear end in a top hat subs, sorry. The puppies I know are really respectful of other people.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's not even stuff someone in that subculture would use, it's just another loving "I don't want to pay the upfront costs of printing tshirts" kickstarter.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine anything more depressing than a bunch of BDSM people hanging out with other BDSM people at one of their "munches" or whatever they call them

like, at least anime nerds or LARPers or whatever at least have their actual games and shows or whatever to talk about compared to "We get boners from the same thing, let's hang out!"

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's not even stuff someone in that subculture would use, it's just another loving "I don't want to pay the upfront costs of printing tshirts" kickstarter.

:shrug: I'm in that subculture and I'd definitely wear some of their shirts-most puppyplay shirts are a bit too sexual for me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

dovetaile posted:

:shrug: I'm in that subculture and I'd definitely wear some of their shirts-most puppyplay shirts are a bit too sexual for me.

:staredog:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

dovetaile posted:

I'm glad these people self identify; I like knowing who to avoid in public just by their creepy sexual t-shirt.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

You didn't realize that from his previous three posts?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i'm saying the dude isnt even making puppyplay gear it's just tshirts, but instead of getting them in 2 days like most shirts, you get them in a month and a half

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Let's get back to stupidity:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/transporting-an-iceberg-to-africa-to-give-water

quote:

We want to transport a huge iceberg to Africa to give water to people. Help us bring it to life.

quote:

We are in a process of developing a new and totally feasible way of transporting an iceberg from Arctic to Africa to give it to people there. Thus we are asking for your help to build the computer model of our method of transportation and build the first 1-to-10 size prototype of our inflatable boat as described in the video.
1. The money that you provide will be used to build the computer model of raising an iceberg from water by inflating an inflatable boat beneath it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-s-first-water-based-fuel-cell

quote:

It operates on regular water without need to convert water into hydrogen first, once the water is applied on its designated spots, a chemical reaction within the proprietary cartridge generates conductivity, the conductivity is captured and enhanced by a built-in controller that converts it into a feasible volume of energy, producing adequate voltage and amperage to supply a constant 12 Volt DC output.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i-wish-to-campaign-on-the-injustices-of-russia

quote:

I have vast experience in online navigation and viral news propagation, the funds will be allocated towards online data propulsion advocating to as many individuals that the current situation is not suitable and a change must occur.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

I want to know if they don't know what desalination is and have never heard of it, or were just like "gently caress desalination, let's haul a gigantic iceberg to Africa."

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Meatwave posted:

I want to know if they don't know what desalination is and have never heard of it, or were just like "gently caress desalination, let's haul a gigantic iceberg to Africa."

Arctic sea ice that has survived more than one melt season is almost entirely free of salt.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Great Rumbler posted:

Arctic sea ice that has survived more than one melt season is almost entirely free of salt.

Yeah. I'm talking about spending tons of money to haul icebergs to africa versus forgetting icebergs altogether and spending that money to build desalination plants.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DStecks posted:

You didn't realize that from his previous three posts?

I didn't want to quote them all, and knowing that there are different puppyplay t-shirts that also can be too sexual really made me uncomfortable.

Content.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1973933886/happy-poo-is-your-mess-free-way-of-unclogging-toil?ref=discovery
It looks like a functioning thing at least, even though in most cases it'd me much easier and faster to use a plunger. Still, calling your product 'Happy Poo' is pretty silly. And yes, you can receive a t-shirt with the brand name.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a fair amount of knowledge in the field of online navigation myself. I maybe wouldn't say "vast knowledge", but I'm a pretty humble guy.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Meatwave posted:

Yeah. I'm talking about spending tons of money to haul icebergs to africa versus forgetting icebergs altogether and spending that money to build desalination plants.

Or dig some wells or do anything else that gets water there that's less retarded. The only thin I can imagine that would be dumber would be along the lines of "let's go to outer space to get a comet with water and drop it on Africa."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Icebergs aren't sea ice, they're glacial - they're pieces of land based glaciers that calved off. They were never salty in the first place.

Sea ice is frozen surface water, it's generally pretty flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who cares, it's still a dumb idea.