Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Count Uvula posted:

CoC and Blade Vortex changes were motivated atleast partially by performance issues they cause. Blade Vortex will be just as strong or stronger against anything but bosses v:v:v

You used to be able to trigger up to 4 spells at once, now you can only trigger 1 at a time. That's what 'per frame' means here. You are correct there is a hard limit of 2 spells per second.
New CoC builds will arise, probably not be as powerful (definitely not as powerful as fakener), but they'll definitely be completely loving different. You'll probably be able to make a powerful CoC wander that uses Wrath + Arc/Ball Lightning/Spark.

CoC poison bladefall seems like it'd still be good, I was only using 1 spell anyway and added chaos + poison + concentrated effect is pretty loving good (until the double-dipping change).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gonadic io posted:

CoC poison bladefall seems like it'd still be good, I was only using 1 spell anyway and added chaos + poison + concentrated effect is pretty loving good (until the double-dipping change).

But why wouldn't you just self cast a 6l bladefall. Or use a spell totem? Or traps? Or even mines?

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
BV change makes it a little more fun, at least for my lazy and impatient rear end. Wonder how it should be built now that the blade count's lower. Can similar flask bullshit be achieved?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NightfallGemini posted:

BV change makes it a little more fun, at least for my lazy and impatient rear end. Wonder how it should be built now that the blade count's lower. Can similar flask bullshit be achieved?

You'll have 60% less flask bullshit but that's still a lot of flask bullshit.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

NightfallGemini posted:

Yes

It's a nerf against big bosses where you would rely on master surgeon tho

But hey you're still really strong 💪 💪

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Against normal enemies... Sorry but I doubt you'll ever run dry during mapping. Plus maybe you can swap out some inc duration now for damage (node or gem)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

killstealing posted:

Yes

It's a nerf against big bosses where you would rely on master surgeon tho

But hey you're still really strong 💪 💪

or just run a diamond flask (or Increased Critical Strikes instead of Faster Casting)

I mean typically you run Vinktar, Rumi's, Taste, Ruby of Anti Shock and idk a Quicksilver of Anti Freeze

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Think I might have to look at a rolling flames build when I get home.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

dis astranagant posted:

But why wouldn't you just self cast a 6l bladefall. Or use a spell totem? Or traps? Or even mines?

Extremely low mana cost, the ability to trigger bleeds (and then maims) with your attack with Assassin, um...that's about it. It's nowhere near as good of course but I think that my character will still be able to continue just fine.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lmao, the level of salt on reddit is enough to sustain me for weeks! I got almost everything I wanted out of this patch, only thing I wasnt happy with was how little poison was nerfed.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm convinced though. Life poison shockwave for my first character and LL RF ignite vortex once I have the currency.

E: I'm leaning towards occultist and scion chief-gladiator or possibly guardian respectively.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Everytime I see someone do SWT without hatred I die a little. All those beautiful shatters, gone :(

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
might roll a coc coldsnapper if coc stuff is now really cheap... linked voll's protectors and vagan daggers should be pennies now right? will voll's devotions be affordable (hah)?

not sure how to increase the damage, though. what goes in the links? hmm. can't be Arc. hypothermia? it's a %more.

not sure there's any way to dispense with voll's... hm. 100% chance to cast when critting doesn't reduce the charge consumption. still, it's an enormous damage boost if they forget to prevent cold snap from consuming charges to get around the cooldown

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Bah. Just as I finally get to start playing my cyclone jugg these assmunchers go and nerf it because of some other build. Fanks a bunch. Well, maybe blasphemy + warlords mark still generates enough endurance charges to trigger the 30% decently, but it's still annoying to have defenses reduced to lottery.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The EC nerf on Juggernaut just means you can't pull off bullshit infinite duration immortal calls as easily, while maintaining charges remains mostly the same.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Fewd posted:

Bah. Just as I finally get to start playing my cyclone jugg these assmunchers go and nerf it because of some other build. Fanks a bunch. Well, maybe blasphemy + warlords mark still generates enough endurance charges to trigger the 30% decently, but it's still annoying to have defenses reduced to lottery.

Use enduring cry every 15 seconds, it's not a big deal at all. Or better yet, get into the habit of automatically popping enduring cry every time you take damage and you'll stop thinking about it after an hour or two.

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
so with the frost wall nerf is TS once again the good cheap but still decent at high tier maps build for a ranger? something like neversink's build on the forums? i haven't played since ascension so i have no idea whats going on....

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

mirrorquiz posted:

so with the frost wall nerf is TS once again the good cheap but still decent at high tier maps build for a ranger? something like neversink's build on the forums? i haven't played since ascension so i have no idea whats going on....

Lightning arrow was still more popular before pierce + frostwall became the default, but people used a second link for something like blast rain. Either way, tornado shot is a solid option too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I absolutely hated the frost wall mechanics so I am mega glad they nerfed it.

My future planned doomfletcher is sad, but whatever.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
They're mostly interchangeable, it's just that TS doesn't need another skill for single target but LA will probably have higher clear speed (not accounting for Slivertongue).

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
i switched to LA/blast rain after i could afford enough gear, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some reason besides frostwall that made LA just better even before you got your hands on a voltaxic or whatever.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm gonna run with my ED Trickster with some minor tweaks then I think, get on the Poison train while it's still double-dipping goodness. Can't see the flat 20% nerf having too big an impact on its viability. Curse effectiveness nerf is kinda bleh for it but oh well. If Wither totem ends up not viable with the channeling changes will that be a big hit to the build?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wither is nice but far from mandatory

J
Jun 10, 2001

ButtWolf posted:

How tough is hall of grandmasters? I just got one. I guess ill level up before i do it just to be safe.

Imagine if you will, a map filled with rogue exiles that are copies of actual characters of people who paid $500 for the privilege of loving you over as hard as possible. That's hall of grandmasters.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Its bullshit but it's a kind of bullshit I can respect.

Also, I suspect that Silvertongue would go quite well with Volley fire Barrage.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's theory crafting time!

Scion LL RF Vortex

Vortex + Inc AoE (or Concentrated Effect) + Chance to Ignite + Controlled Destruction + Hypothermia + ??? (Rapid Decay, or Fire pen?)

105 points, (102 really thanks to the free points from Ascendant). 100% chance to ignite with Flammability, capped block and spell block with Rumi's. From the tree: ~170% increased (double-dipping) damage, a bit extra on the burn, and then lots of more multipliers from RF, pain attunement, and the linked gems. Also IR if I so choose. 180% increased ES, +40 to base.

Can sustain RF with a totem up (depending exactly on my life/es ratio), before my gear gets that good I'll have to either spend more points or use a life regen amulet. As I level more I can swap to a rare shield with Leo's mod or potentially even Aegis Aurora. Can happily turn it off when the map mods are too hard.

Uniques:
Rise of the Phoenix
Gang's Momentum
Pyre
Stone of Lazhwar
Vertex/Black Sun's Crest/item corrupted with +1 gems/level 4 empower
Rumi's
Solaris Lorica/Shav's
A few Energy From Withins

e: whoops, forgot to include the life bonus from Energy from Within jewels

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 31, 2016

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
^^^^^glass cannon much?

There are just a few Grandmasters. A few... https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1684101/page/3#p13391628

quote:

2.3.0 Hall of Grandmasters Stats
Total Grandmasters: 485 (300 spawn at any one time)
Average (mean) Grandmaster level: 79
Most common Grandmaster level: 90 (48 GMs)
Level 100 Grandmasters: 9
Level 1 Grandmasters: 4

So that's $240k, and those are just the ones that are completed and in game.

Budgie fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 31, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Whoops, when I was reading from the tree I forgot to convert the life bonus to ES from Energy from Within jewels. Fixed now.

e: or there's this tree which drops some of the damage and only has a 90% chance to ignite, but gets 240 or so increased ES.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 31, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
HoG seemed to just be "Please let Dyness spawn so I can take her card... welp there goes 1/90 of a mirror" and "pls god no no no augh not the LA FW guy... rip im dead from offscreen, couldn't even read his name".

Although it would be extra funny if they made more LA FW guys after the nerfs.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
It'll be interesting to see how the double dipping fix to poison ends up shaking out. Hopefully it'll leave the possibility for reasonable stuff like chaos damage to double up but get rid of stuff that just conceptually makes no sense like projectile and aoe damage. I'd be sad to see the few specialized chaos skills like essence drain lose their ability to set up strong poisons.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
ive never played CI before, whats a fun first thing to do withj that

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
I've never played a trapper/miner- how big of a deal is the bladefall nerf? (starting at the trap/mine instead of the monster).

Just wanted to check before planning a character for the new league.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ImsaKidd posted:

I've never played a trapper/miner- how big of a deal is the bladefall nerf? (starting at the trap/mine instead of the monster).

It'll make no practical difference for traps. Mines now require you to actually be near enemies.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

quote:

Engine Multithreading:

This patch introduces the new multithreaded engine features that should significantly improve game performance for most users. They were previously an opt-in beta test.
To disable this feature, change "Engine Multithreading" in the Graphics Options to "Disabled". It is automatically disabled if your CPU has less than four hardware cores.
Frame rate increases are most significant when there are a lot of entities in the scene. This means situations with large amounts of combat should have much more stable frame rates. Do not expect significant increases in frame rate in non-combat situations.
If you are GPU-bound, you shouldn't expect significant increases in frame rate.

d3 smoothness :ohdear: ?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ImsaKidd posted:

Mines lost a lot of mapping speed and qol. Traps are still the same - easy and cheap to set up, but never top tier in clear speed

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

dangerdoom volvo posted:

ive never played CI before, whats a fun first thing to do withj that

you probably want to play an occultist or trickster for the free flat ES, because finding gear will be a bitch

actually if there are cheap flat ES essences you might be able to play as anything (CI BV Patfinder hoooo)

Kavaar
Apr 13, 2005
I skipped Prophecy and it looks like I got purged, can I get a guild invite in preparation for Atlas? Character name Kavaar. Thanks!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

d3 smoothness :ohdear: ?

In case you havent read it, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715146

Casual 23->103 fps improvement when you include both particle and multi threading improvements.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dza posted:

Still learning the game, having just started during Prophecy. I'll take a guild invite please. On as somethingawfuldotcom.

adennett posted:

I skipped Prophecy and it looks like I got purged, can I get a guild invite in preparation for Atlas? Character name Kavaar. Thanks!

done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Thinking this will be my first character this league, Explosive Arrow Chieftain. Probably level as Firestorm until I can nab a Quill Rain. I'm thinking about pathing over to EE with some cold or lightning damage on a ring or something. The dex nodes are all placeholders to deal with gem requirements, probably won't need all of them.

Anything look particularly out of place? Tips?

• Locked thread