Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice on my first read through but after I learned that that's what they are doing with their other comic, I couldn't stop noticing every time they just zoom in further on the panel for a second dialog bubble.

Covering up art reuse with a ton of dialogue?

It's an old webcomic shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Tunicate posted:

Well, in this case it's the other way around? They didn't have enough room in the vertical scroll version (because webtoons are locked to 800 pixels wide or whatever) so they just copy and paste the same panel but zoomed in or out to make space. As an example from what I've already posted:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Sludge Knight: Gomorrah & Namekuji Part Two
Content warning: Suicidal ideation

Content warning: Suicidal ideation

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

SimonChris posted:

The Vagabond of Limbo

Ah, symbolism. Flotch.

Tunicate posted:

This made me smile, though I'm not reading the text at all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Was there ever a time loop story where everyone was aware of it? Seems like an interesting apocalypse scenario. It's less the social dynamic of gaslighting people with your personal power and more an exploration of how society would change if long term planning for logistics or resources became meaningless. Depending on the mechanics the concept of death might be irrelevant.

Of course that would be a wholly unfair scenario. Some unfortunate person might see their wife die at the start of every loop.

If someone knows a story exploring this idea, I'd be interested.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Was there ever a time loop story where everyone was aware of it? Seems like an interesting apocalypse scenario. It's less the social dynamic of gaslighting people with your personal power and more an exploration of how society would change if long term planning for logistics or resources became meaningless. Depending on the mechanics the concept of death might be irrelevant.

Of course that would be a wholly unfair scenario. Some unfortunate person might see their wife die at the start of every loop.

If someone knows a story exploring this idea, I'd be interested.

https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Black-Nana-Kwame-Adjei-Brenyah/dp/1328911241

The final story in "Friday Black", "Through the Flash", is exactly what you are looking for. Best drat time-loop story I ever read.

Edit: This Jacob Geller video first introduced me to the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrEayPIrVE

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Mar 19, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ah-hah, that was it. I remembered the story Geller mentioned in that video but misremembered it appearing in an anthology of short stories I read a while ago. I actually went and got the book out from the city library's ebooks app and was getting frustrated when I couldn't find it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

KennyMan666 posted:

- I hope you're not taking any liberties.

I specifically like how the jailer refers to the prisoner with 'ni'. Wouldn't want to be impolite, after all.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"Silly jailer, you can not conceive of the liberties I have taken! Why I am being so gay inside my own head as to repulse Ba'alZebub himself!!"

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Samovar posted:

I specifically like how the jailer refers to the prisoner with 'ni'. Wouldn't want to be impolite, after all.

?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Samovar posted:

In this case it's not really politeness, it's just the correct Swedish of the time. "Ni" was the default second person singular pronoun back then if you didn't use the person's name or title, "du" was used only for very close friends, lovers, or spouses. It wasn't even commonly used within family, family members would call each other by relation, so "mother", "brother", and so on, rather than any pronoun. The first attempts at a du-reform happened in 1907, but it wasn't until the late 1960s it really took hold.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 10:17 on Mar 19, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Here in Australia, our 12 year old adresses us as Mother and Father, but that's because she's a giant weirdo

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1733

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how it is possible to have one person writing and another illustrating a comic- how they would navigate that speech-image tradeoff- particularly in the case of movie adaptations, where what you're doing seems superficially similar to film but is actually drastically different.

Neil Gaiman has you covered.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

I'm gonna take a controversial stance here and say they shouldn't have left a child by herself to watch over her infant sibling

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And today we've got Oskar Andersson's other recurring work... or, at least, what seemed to be starting out as one. Chances are he might have continued it if not for his suicide.

This is the one that one of Sweden's two big comic awards is named after—Urhunden, "The Ur-dog", or "The primordial dog".

The Ur-dog at the summer house.

1. Good day, is this where there's a summer house to rent?
2. Yeah, it's that there.
3. Are there kitchen and bath house available? (so I'm unsure about the third word in this speech bubble, if that's even one or two words. The second half of the middle line is too small.)
4. Oh yes, and verandas for both the room and the kitchen. (also not actually sure if that's "room", kinda hard to read)
6. BEWARE OF THE UR-DOG

The Ur-human and the Ur-dog.

...and that, my comic friends, was in fact all the OA I've got for you. His career was short, as was his life, and by all accounts it did not appear to be a very happy life either. But if a Swedish comics canon was ever to be put together, he would unquestionably be the first entry.

I didn't post everything from the book, because a bunch of it was just an illustration to a funny bit of text. The whole book can be read here if you want to check it out.

I hope you've enjoyed this bit of history.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for posting Oskar Andersson! My favourite is still the man who refuses to hold his hat down.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 64: Furuta Oribe and Hot Stuff

Sasuke prepares his counterattack.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 32.5: The Secret Meeting of Men

Idiots.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

Not sure I'm 100% sold on the tonal pivot here. After Mimley spent the last arc beating up corrupt capitalists he had a personal vendetta against, it makes sense that the comic wants to move on to some heavier stuff and having Mimley confront the reality of innocents getting targeted by a terrorist is a natural progression for his character arc... which would probably have flowed a bit more naturally if we hadn't just watched him take down a bunch of sex traffickers with a jaunty spring in his step and a quip on his tongue. I suppose it could have been handled worse, at least.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lunar Maladies

next time: something else

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

the holy poopacy posted:

Lavender Jack
Not sure I'm 100% sold on the tonal pivot here. After Mimley spent the last arc beating up corrupt capitalists he had a personal vendetta against, it makes sense that the comic wants to move on to some heavier stuff and having Mimley confront the reality of innocents getting targeted by a terrorist is a natural progression for his character arc... which would probably have flowed a bit more naturally if we hadn't just watched him take down a bunch of sex traffickers with a jaunty spring in his step and a quip on his tongue. I suppose it could have been handled worse, at least.

Could have been done better with a couple of pages dedicated to show the dissonance between LJ the unflappable crimefighter and Sir Mimley the human with feelings.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lunar Maladies was nice! Plenty has been said about the plot being unfocused, but it managed to keep a pretty cozy feeling that kept it an enjoyable read, even when not a lot was happening.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, LM was very much a vibes comic. I liked it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

Lunar Maladies was nice! Plenty has been said about the plot being unfocused, but it managed to keep a pretty cozy feeling that kept it an enjoyable read, even when not a lot was happening.

The cozy feelings were the good part! The problem was that the more it got into werewolf stuff the less important the characterization got and the more it become about people in a werewolf story doing werewolf story things.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah can't help but feel like it would have been better without the werewolves

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mal didn't even a-die.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Next up, a cozy relationship-centred comic with supernatural themes, set in a town just north-east of Albury, NSW, Australia. Get ready for Thurgoona Maladies

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kennel posted:

Mal didn't even a-die.

It's implied that it will happen at some point in time.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Lunar Maladies was not perfect, but it was enjoyable. Thanks for posting!

Is anyone keeping a record of a sort of the comics being posted? This is not a request or anything, I'm just kinda annoyed at myself because I haven't kept track of the ones I really enjoyed, so I know there will be absolute bangers lost to time just because my brain doesn't retain information good.

Shaking lemur butt has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Mar 19, 2024

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

KennyMan666 posted:

I hope you've enjoyed this bit of history.

good stuff, thx for posting Oskar Andersson!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tenebrais posted:

I think it was interesting I liked how hosed up the werewolf looked as well, very creepy in a "straight out of a medieval tapestry" kind of way.

I am also really enjoying Tiger Tiger. Always a fan of yearning and weirdness.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Yeah, thanks for Lunar Maladies. I read ahead a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how fast it wrapped up. I liked it despite the weird pacing.

I also read ahead on Tiger, Tiger because the story and art were very cool. Seems like the kind of webcomic that will still be going 5 years from now.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Rainbow In The Dark

first image spoilered for a slur (the one for the Romani) that my brain just did not register at all when I was rereading the comic to see if I wanted to post it:

And that’s it for issue 1! See y’all tomorrow for issue 2!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Thanks for posting Oskar Andersson! My favourite is still the man who refuses to hold his hat down.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 64: Furuta Oribe and Hot Stuff

Sasuke continues his innovations in kitsch by inventing screen printing

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Is anyone keeping a record of a sort of the comics being posted? This is not a request or anything, I'm just kinda annoyed at myself because I haven't kept track of the ones I really enjoyed, so I know there will be absolute bangers lost to time just because my brain doesn't retain information good.

Good question- there must be hundreds of different comics posted in here, from unfinished monsters through to single frames.
I guess the closest thing we have to a record is the 12x12 comic grid I did last year based off the most-posted-about comics itt for each month of 2023, haha

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

Binky tough love

back to the gang, who were celebrating Fuchsia teleporting a glove successfully

alt: They ate too much pizza. That's what they think partying hard means. 100% of the drugs used in this friend group is used by McBell.

alt: Let me answer your question with another question that won't be answered this page.

alt: This page was partly inspired by that episode of Arthur where DW climbs a tree.

alt: No I did not HAVE to draw them having a little picnic. I did that for ME.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Good question- there must be hundreds of different comics posted in here, from unfinished monsters through to single frames.
I guess the closest thing we have to a record is the 12x12 comic grid I did last year based off the most-posted-about comics itt for each month of 2023, haha

I just went looking for that on your redbubble store, but all your stuff seems to have disappeared!

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 36: Bran-kawa

This is probably my favourite chapter of One Day Outing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

This time, I think I'll just stick to the English scan. It's higher quality than last time, and the French version feels kinda overexposed in comparison.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Mar 20, 2024