Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jaguars! posted:

I would probably look a lot like that guy if I was 20 in the late 19th century.

He's my mother's mother's father :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Krankenstyle posted:

Hell yeah they're online now. Not sure if it's because of the support ticket I created yesterday (it hasn't been replied to) but whatever :D

It's really cool to know that familysearch will digitize documents for you.
I finally broke down and started spending money to order documents. So much for being a free hobby.

Just got an entire estate package of 110 pages from the South Carolina archives. It was something I couldn't find online and necessary to establish a link between two generations. I knew what to expect since I had a genealogy book that referenced it as a source but I have been trying to collect as much primary literature as possible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hell yeah primary sources are way better than a book citation! I've paid for some Australian and South African documents, but they were pretty cheap (I can't imagine they even cover administrative expenses, might be they're just a low barrier so they don't get overwhelmed).

Also, a couple of years ago I took a 2.5 hour train to a local archive to see some specific records. I was there for at most 30 mins photographing the 15-20 pages of documents (after listening to the old volunteer expound on what he'd found in the documents before letting me have them), then a 2.5 hour train ride home lol

btw, FS claimed in summer 2017 that they'd have digitized all their films by 2020 though I can't find any newer info on that. Realistically, all such deadlines are bound to fail so we'll see. In the meantime, I'm glad that I can nudge them towards stuff that is of interest to me :)

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Holy moly - I found an ancestor in the 1925 Iowa State Census. Check out the list of questions in this thing. I wish every census was set up this way:

Iowa 1925 Census posted:

1. Place of Abode:
Street, Avenue, Boulevard or Road; House Number
2. NAME:
of each Person whose Place of Abode on Jan 1, 1925 was in this Family. Enter Surnames First, Then Given Name and middle Initial, If any. Include Every Person Living on Jan 1, 1925. Omit Children born since Jan 1, 1925.
3. RELATION: Relationship of this Person to the Head of the Family
4. PERSONAL DESCRIPTION:
A Sex
B Color of Race
C Age at Last Birthday
D Single, Married, Widowed or Divorced
5. TENURE:
A Home owned or Rented
B If Owned, Free or Mortgaged
C Value of this Home
D Amount of Mortgage Debt Against this Home Jan 1, 1925
E If rented, Amount of rent paid Monthly
F If Owned Amount of all Insurance Carried on this House
6. CITIZENSHIP:
A If Foreign Born are You Naturalized
B No. Years In U.S.
C No. Years In Iowa
7. EDUCATION and LITERACY:
1. High School Attended (Check Proper Space /):
A Rural
B Grade
C High School
D College or University
2. HIGHEST GRADE REACHED:
A RURAL - State Highest Reader Completed as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
B GRADE in GRAMMAR - State Highest Grade completed (Grades 1 to 8 Incl.)
C HIGH SCHOOL - State Highest Grade Completed (Grades 9 to 12 Incl.)
D COLLEGE or UNIVERSITY - State No. Years Attended
3. How Many Months of School attended in Year 1924
4. Whether able to Read
5. Whether able to Write
8. NATIVITY:
Place of Birth of each Person enumerated and Name, Place of Birth,
Age and Place of Marriage of Parents. (If Place is in U. S. give
State or Territory, if outside of U. S. give Country)
Person enumerated
A Place of Birth
FATHER
B Name of Father
C Place of Birth
D Age last Birthday
MOTHER
E Full Maiden Name of Mother
F Place of Birth
G Age last Birthday
Parents of Person enumerated
H Place of Marriage
9. MILITARY SERVICE
CIVIL WAR
A Are You a Veteran
B Branch of Service in Which You Served
C What State Enlisted or Drafted From
SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR
A Are You a Veteran
WORLD WAR
A Are You a Veteran
10. OCCUPATION
A Are you engaged in Agricultural Pursuits
B Are you engaged in Professional Services
C Are you engaged in domestic and Personal Services
D Are you engaged in Trade and Transportation
E Are you engaged in Manufacturing and Mechanical work
F Are you a Laborer unclassified
G No. months in 1924 unemployed because of illness from communicable diseases only
H Amt. of salary or income loss because of illness from communicable diseases
I No. months in 1924 unemployed on account of labor conditions
11. CHURCH AFFILIATION
What Church are You Affiliated With

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

drat Iowa you nosyaf. (All Michigan cares about is your drat livestock and acreage).

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Oracle posted:

drat Iowa you nosyaf. (All Michigan cares about is your drat livestock and acreage).

Yea, this is particularly awesome:
FATHER
B Name of Father
C Place of Birth
D Age last Birthday

MOTHER
E Full Maiden Name of Mother
F Place of Birth
G Age last Birthday
Parents of Person enumerated
H Place of Marriage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow, that's a lot of dang info! Way more than the contemporary Danish censuses. That's excellent, though!

Must have taken ages for the census takers to get through lol

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
I've been reconnecting with some family from my dad's first marriage, and keeping in touch with some of my half-sisters from that side of the family. Genealogy came up, and I mentioned I had done some research & would share it with her.

Got a surprise in the mail yesterday, a binder full of photos from an aunt that I haven't seen in almost 20 years, and a letter that basically said 'Heard you were doing genealogy, I hope this helps.' Photos going back 3 generations, most have approximate dates, all people in photos ID'ed, and even some backstory on some of them. It fills in some gaps, and helped make a connection to a random 'Hey you're on my DNA match list' message I'd gotten a while back.

My great-aunt was married 3 times, I only had found 1 marriage for her.
Work history for my great-grandfather, who helped build the gymnasium for the local high school, and was a volunteer firefighter.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man that’s awesome, it’s like Christmas comes early when that kind of windfall just lands in your lap.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow yeah, that's fantastic!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I guess familysearch is telling me to chill out with the digitization requests, they havent processed my most recent one for going on 3 weeks lol

e: though to be fair, i did some counts and theyve scanned roughly 7000 films in those 3 weeks.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 27, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey free lookups at the Family History Library!

quote:

The FHL is the Family History Library located in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. It is the world’s largest genealogical repository with almost 150,000 square feet spread out over five floors. It is owned and operated by FamilySearch.

The types of records in these collections that can only be found at the FHL include:

Birth, marriage, and death records
Church records
Probate, land, and court records
Cemetery records
Town, county, city, family, and other histories
City directories
Census (state, federal, national)
Family histories and genealogies
Military records
Naturalization and immigration records
Obituaries

A quick check of the FamilySearch Catalog shows that just under 1.5 million family history record collections are only available onsite at the FHL.
So if there's a record that's only available on microfilm now is your chance to get it looked up for free (as opposed to paying 45 bucks).

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Oracle posted:

Hey free lookups at the Family History Library!

So if there's a record that's only available on microfilm now is your chance to get it looked up for free (as opposed to paying 45 bucks).

Ancestry has digitized a bunch of city directories, but familysearch doesn't seem to have done so.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Naffer posted:

Ancestry has digitized a bunch of city directories, but familysearch doesn't seem to have done so.

ancestry did it with OCR and the results tend to speak for themselves. Though they are an incredibly valuable resource I haven't found anywhere else and I used to kind of ignore them as white noise until I figured out how to use them.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Yeah, city directories aren’t usually helpful in my research, but there’s been one notable exception:

An ancestor of mine, Anton P., had always been known to have immigrated to America, but his daughter had stayed behind in Europe with her grandparents. I had always wondered what had happened to him and stumbled upon a death record with his name in turn of the century St. Louis.

Unfortunately, this Anton was poor, with no relations (his death record was my first time learning what a “potter’s field” was) and while the record was suggestive that it was my Anton (roughly correct age and a birth in The right country) there just wasn’t enough to make me sure it was the right Anton, and census records never revealed him any time between when he left Europe and his death.

By pure chance, I happened upon his name in a St. Louis city directory the year before he died though, and since it was 1901, I assumed he might be in the 1900 census at the same address. From there I was able to dig around in the Census records for the page where the enumerator went through his building.

Sure enough, there he is (with a badly digitized name, which is why I couldn’t find him before) and with his immigration year and birth country, I felt certain I had found the right Anton.

So yeah, it really is a matter of knowing when and where to use those directories. If you have ancestors who lived in cities and might have moved from apartment to apartment, they can be invaluable in connecting folks across the city, if you know their occupations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, city directories aren’t usually helpful in my research, but there’s been one notable exception:

An ancestor of mine, Anton P., had always been known to have immigrated to America, but his daughter had stayed behind in Europe with her grandparents. I had always wondered what had happened to him and stumbled upon a death record with his name in turn of the century St. Louis.

Unfortunately, this Anton was poor, with no relations (his death record was my first time learning what a “potter’s field” was) and while the record was suggestive that it was my Anton (roughly correct age and a birth in The right country) there just wasn’t enough to make me sure it was the right Anton, and census records never revealed him any time between when he left Europe and his death.

By pure chance, I happened upon his name in a St. Louis city directory the year before he died though, and since it was 1901, I assumed he might be in the 1900 census at the same address. From there I was able to dig around in the Census records for the page where the enumerator went through his building.

Sure enough, there he is (with a badly digitized name, which is why I couldn’t find him before) and with his immigration year and birth country, I felt certain I had found the right Anton.

So yeah, it really is a matter of knowing when and where to use those directories. If you have ancestors who lived in cities and might have moved from apartment to apartment, they can be invaluable in connecting folks across the city, if you know their occupations.

Also great for matching addresses on death certs to addresses in the phone book, which often listed everyone who lived there not just the head of household. And then once you had that address you can find kids, widows, other people you suspect might've been relatives but have found no proof, and occupations for them, which can help you go back further and follow them across town as they moved around.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I've had great use of these two digitized Danish directories that cover Copenhagen and surroundings:

Krak's Vejviser (Gazetteer) 1770–1989
https://bibliotek.kk.dk/kraks-vejvisere-1770-1989/kraks-vejvisere-1770-1989

KTAS Phonebooks 1880–1969
http://www.ptt-museum.dk/samlinger_bibliotek/bibliotek/digitale_boeger_registre/telefonboeger_fra_ktas/

Both have many times enabled me to narrow down the appropriate parishes for ancestors, which can be a lifesaver as depending on period there would otherwise be over a hundred parishes to check.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I freaking love huge books. Check out this absolute unit of a cadastre:

(for reference I have never met anyone with bigger hands than me :chaostrump:)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Good lord that’s huge

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Weighs like 20lbs too :sweatdrop:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Weighs like 20lbs too :sweatdrop:

What's it smell like? (don't kinkshame)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dry, leathery, slightly stuffy :heysexy:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Dry, leathery, slightly stuffy :heysexy:

sigh. Someday when my country grows up we'll have tons of huge old musty books written in nigh-unintelligible handwriting...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Starting new job on November 1, development & db work for a major archive's digitization efforts :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That's awesome! Living the dream

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thanks :) looking forward to getting crazy with gothic cursive OCR or something wild like that

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Thanks :) looking forward to getting crazy with gothic cursive OCR or something wild like that

OMG please. Do Sutterlinschrift too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tbf I don't know if I'll get to do that (depends on what other projects are on the horizon), but it's something they're interested in and I know there's a bunch of volunteer transcriptions I can use as training data.

Also, I don't remember if Transkribus has Sutterlin, but it does have some German script recognition. Actually, they have an API so I would likely use that as the backend for my stuff (feeding it training data, etc):
https://github.com/Transkribus

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 22, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Swedish ArkivDigital is free from now until midnight CET on Sunday November 10 (possibly until monday morning, sometimes they forget to turn it off until they get to the office):
https://www.arkivdigital.net/products/adonline/try-for-free

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Woo free! Apparently FindMyPast is also free this weekend. Go go go!

In unrelated news, PBS (think BBC for Americans only nowhere near as well-funded) did a two-part series on using DNA tests to catch criminals via genetic genealogy. Its really fascinating and can help you with your research, part 2 addresses privacy concerns.
Part 1
Part 2 (this may not work yet in all areas)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nice, thanks for the headsup on findmypast

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omg fuckin yessss!!!! the new register searches on ArkivDigital have provided me with exact birth & marriage data for a pair of my Swedish ancestors that I have spent literally 15 years looking for!!!!!!!!

It has been really hard going because the man had a craftsman surname (which are ubiquitous and usually no indication of relation) and in the only two sources I had which named her, the wife has resp. 1 and 2 given names (all 3 being different). Additionally, their 2 known children were born in the city of Karlskrona which had a huge naval base (lots of people around) and was for a long time exempt from a lot of taxes (so there weren't any tax rolls I could use to pinpoint them further). The husband died in Denmark in 1814 and the wife "went back to Sweden afterwards" according to her son.

But the register searches showed me a woman that could be her (she has 2 given names, one from each of the known names), and tracking this woman further shows that she married a Lindberg, whom I have now found in the travel lists showing as having come from Karlskrona (which was 100 miles away and in a different county, where I had until now looked).

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 10, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tbh i had kinda resigned to possibly never figuring this out :unsmith:

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
:woop::woop::woop:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

turns out his maternal great grandfather was a bishop #wow #whoa (which is kinda boring because then a bunch of people will have done the research already lol)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yay bustin' brick walls!

I still can't find anything about the guy my 3rd ggma had my 2nd ggpa with. I still suspect the brother of her later husband, which would make her other kids 3/4th siblings, but all the direct male lines died out (I'm descended from a daughter, the sons died childless or had only girls or their sons died young) so I am despairing. :P

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah that's a tough one! There might be a paternity case in a dombok under the häradsrätt but I know very little about how they work :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Now that the weekend is over, I'm using google to help fill in the blanks (add siblings, etc), and it's a good thing I always check the primary sources because boy this tree I just found is super wrong.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao back in early september, i requested some films digitized from familysearch but nothing happened so last week i figured maybe the request got lost so i repeated it

theyve now scanned literally the entire series except the 5 films i requested. spiteful bastards rofl

e: also it turns out my guy is not a descendant of the bishop, so i get to do research anyway hell yeah :cool: (apparently there are at least 5 guys with identical non-patronymic names in the area!)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://link-lives.dk/