Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

The Action Man posted:

Am I the only one that got the sense that Sol and Al had this conversation before, but Al had forgotten it? Sol seemed surprised at Al being kind to him, but his silence at the advice had the air of him letting Al repeat himself rather than remind him.

Al’s poor physical and mental health really hit me hard after watching Alzheimer’s take my grandfather, and the conversation between him and Sol actually reminded me of trying to have a conversation with him towards the end. Letting the old man have his say gave him more relief than constantly reminding him of his condition.

Did Al suggest that Sol should run for mayor back in the day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I only read about the director having Alzheimers after watching the film and I really didnt pick up on the fact that Al was supposed to have some early form of it. Is that definitely the case? Am I forgetting moments in the film where he showed signs apart from not realizing the day of the week when with the doc? Which I just took as slight senility and the fact he was on deaths door (he dies like a few days after that scene after all).

Like maybe on another viewing i'd pick up on more little moments I suppose.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
^^Yeah, I didnt see it has al having alzheimer's so much as it just being the end result of a lifetime of alcohol abuse. But I do absolutely see Milch putting his thoughts and feelings about his Alzeimers into Al. That last line is the poor guy raging against the dying of the light.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I’m not saying that Al definitely had Alzheimer’s, but he clearly was starting to slip mentally. Bullock even mentioned that Al was having memory problems which shows that more people than just Doc Cochran have noticed. It might have been from the alcohol abuse, old age, or just Milch putting himself into the character.

There was also an aspect of McShane’s performance where it felt more like Al was working hard to keep up with what was going on as opposed to his previous ability to stay several steps ahead of his opponents and allies.

Putting aside any specific diagnosis of Swearengen, seeing Al in a diminished mental and physical state hit me hard. I didn’t expect to feel bad for that nasty old pimp, but I did.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

The Action Man posted:

Putting aside any specific diagnosis of Swearengen, seeing Al in a diminished mental and physical state hit me hard. I didn’t expect to feel bad for that nasty old pimp, but I did.

Yeah, same. Absolutely heart-wrenching.

edit: But Doc came back okay from being a lunger and Al's death ain't for a mortal fuckin certainty so :unsmith:

Asbury fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 8, 2019

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Movie owned, rip charlie

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I have been watching this show for the first time over the last three days. I tried to like it when it came out, but I was like fourteen or fifteen and just couldn't get into it at all.

I am currently at the part where Farnum is named mayor over some canned fruit. Good poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I am currently at the part where Farnum is named mayor over some canned fruit. Good poo poo.

Farnum, Christ knows he's earned it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

Farnum, Christ knows he's earned it.

Like everybody else, Al was my favorite character when the show aired, but on rewatches Farnum is really just as compelling. He gets soliloquies like al does (his bit when hes scrubbing the floor and complaining about his lot in life is just as good as, if not better than, some of al's blowjob monologues), and the utter contempt people treat him with really makes him the sort of character you want to sympathize with but cant. Like the bullied kid back in high school who ate bugs. Theres a level of complexity and nuance to the character and the performance that's Shakespeare-real like Iago. Like it's easy to see a part of yourself in it.

"I am not made for such complexities" is the quintessential Farnum line and names the unmentioned feeling of doubt that people internalize into personality. I loving love it.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 9, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I can still hear my English professor shouting "It's Iago, not Lago!" at the rest of my class.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Just Chamber posted:

I only read about the director having Alzheimers after watching the film and I really didnt pick up on the fact that Al was supposed to have some early form of it. Is that definitely the case? Am I forgetting moments in the film where he showed signs apart from not realizing the day of the week when with the doc? Which I just took as slight senility and the fact he was on deaths door (he dies like a few days after that scene after all).

Like maybe on another viewing i'd pick up on more little moments I suppose.

A little nitpick here, but David Milch was not the director for Deadwood -- they had various directors, but he was the writer, creator, executive producer, and showrunner. Deadwood was his baby, like Chase + Sopranos, Esmail + Mr. Robot, etc.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Now I'm drinking and I just keep thinking of Lovejoy during McShane's screentime and it's great.

Edit: Oh! And Code Name: Diamond Head (via MST3K)

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 10, 2019

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

The bald contempt of it. Why not come out five abreast, cavorting and taunting - "E.B. was left out. E.B. was left out." Cocksuckers. oval office-lickers. I'll make you filthy gestures. Public service was never my primary career.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Again, EB is the best

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I always wonder how he was able to learn to speak in that way while still being dumb as a sack of rocks.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I always wonder how he was able to learn to speak in that way while still being dumb as a sack of rocks.

He comments in one episode that he memorise quotes from readers digest.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I've gotten to season 3 episode 2 of my first viewing. I read the entirety of the thread (up to where it was at the time, at least) before starting the series (don't mind spoilers), so I knew some people were tepid on season 3.

So far (and again, only 2 eps in), my only complaint about season 3 is that, after seasons 1 and 2, there are a good number of plot threads in season 3 that lack the same sense of stakes. Like, the elections and Hearst's interference and stuff feels just right. And, like, I realize most of the aspects I feel are kinda slack aren't meaningless or unnecessary, etc., they just feel noticeably smaller than things before for some reason.

I feel like some of the writing, especially in terms of interpersonal interactions between characters, is kind of uneven. And, again, it feels like only a few plots have any real stakes, etc. But my biggest complaint is, for the ostensible hero, Seth is either underwritten or he was not that interesting a person. I don't know which. Maybe both. But I have watched 26 episodes so far and he's been pretty consistently the least interesting character, in my opinion. But maybe that's just what they were going for--a closed-off, hot headed, self-righteous guy with a decent moral compass but little personality.

I still really love the show, and am enjoying the season so far and don't think less of it because if the opinions I just expressed.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I've gotten to season 3 episode 2 of my first viewing. I read the entirety of the thread (up to where it was at the time, at least) before starting the series (don't mind spoilers), so I knew some people were tepid on season 3.

So far (and again, only 2 eps in), my only complaint about season 3 is that, after seasons 1 and 2, there are a good number of plot threads in season 3 that lack the same sense of stakes. Like, the elections and Hearst's interference and stuff feels just right. And, like, I realize most of the aspects I feel are kinda slack aren't meaningless or unnecessary, etc., they just feel noticeably smaller than things before for some reason.

I feel like some of the writing, especially in terms of interpersonal interactions between characters, is kind of uneven. And, again, it feels like only a few plots have any real stakes, etc. But my biggest complaint is, for the ostensible hero, Seth is either underwritten or he was not that interesting a person. I don't know which. Maybe both. But I have watched 26 episodes so far and he's been pretty consistently the least interesting character, in my opinion. But maybe that's just what they were going for--a closed-off, hot headed, self-righteous guy with a decent moral compass but little personality.

I still really love the show, and am enjoying the season so far and don't think less of it because if the opinions I just expressed.
Season 3 was good, it was just that it was more build up than payoff, because they didn't know they were going to be canceled.

It's like reading a sentence that starts out fine, but

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

"I am imagining the pond from which you sprung. I am filling it with rocks. I am holding your gills shut so you cannot breathe."

Just finally got around to watching the movie with my Dad for Father's Day. We'd been rewatching the show over the past few months and just finally finished up the last bit of Season 3 tonight and the movie. Very glad I rewatched so close to seeing the movie, there was a lot I'd forgotten. I was also struck by how jarring that last episode was, just a down ending with Hearst seeming to ride off a winner.

The Movie was great, everything I was hoping for. It was definitely missing Cy and Adams, but everyone else got some great bits. Knowing to look out for him, I caught Dillahunt but absolutely did not clock Con Stapleton til he spoke at the wedding. No doubt because of his normal sized hat. I do admit I missed Langrishe more than I thought I would, having so recently seen him in my viewing of S3. That early scene with Dan and Johnny in their customary spots at the bar was fantastic.

Seeing everyone's concern for Al was great as it was with his kidney stone. Even loving Wu giving him the tea. Sol and Trixie's relationship continues to be the best. Seth, was much less seethingly angry than a decade ago, more like Raylan as someone said. The two Marshall parts Olyphant has played being so similar is not lost on him:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/deadwood-movie-review-recap-milch-sepinwall-842270/

quote:

Movies and TV shows tend to be shot out of order. As luck would have it, though, I visited the set on consecutive days when consecutive scenes were filmed: Seth and Sol preventing Samuel’s lynching, and Seth confronting Hearst in the thoroughfare with Dan and Johnny backing his play. After the first few takes of the latter scene, director Daniel Minahan gave Olyphant freedom to try alternate versions of Bullock’s scripted reply to Hearst threatening to come for him: “Expect you will, Senator.” Olyphant tried a few that neither of them liked as much as the original line, then noted that if this was Justified, Raylan would say, “Let me know, Senator. I’ll circle the date.”

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Watch through this all this for the first time over the past few month or two and I don't think there's ever been a stronger cast of characters on television
it's a real shame there will never be any more of it because I'd watch any one of these characters doing anything at all

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Watch through this all this for the first time over the past few month or two and I don't think there's ever been a stronger cast of characters on television
it's a real shame there will never be any more of it because I'd watch any one of these characters doing anything at all

Watch Justified.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'd love for Milch to write even some short stories about a few of the characters, or cover stuff he wanted to on the show but didn't get to. Things like The Fire, what happened to Cy and Adams (and what Cy's part in the movie would have been and where his arc would have ended up if Powers Boothe hadn't died). Or prequel things--I would kill to hear the story of how Al and Langrishe first met and kindled their friendship, because they are such different people but get along so well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Justified is A+ and makes you wish Walt Goggins was in Deadwood somewhere.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Walton Goggins in Vice Principals is a loving treasure

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

fawning deference posted:

Walton Goggins in Vice Principals is a loving treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRhfzw6OW4

also there's a new Hill/DGG/McBride series coming soon, The Righteous Gemstones is what it's called. it has Goggins and Edi Patterson (Ms Abbott) in major roles.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Finally got around to watching the movie. It was a perfect send off for the characters. Jane was great as always and Farnum’s entire creep hole network was low key hilarious.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
Just a heads up for Deadwood fans, Matt Zoller Seitz is Kickstarting a Deadwood book : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mattzollerseitz/a-lie-agreed-upon-the-deadwood-chronicles/

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Farrier Theaks posted:

Yeah, same. Absolutely heart-wrenching.

edit: But Doc came back okay from being a lunger and Al's death ain't for a mortal fuckin certainty so :unsmith:

Also the short scene with Al and Doc drinking tea gives me hope for Al's health.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
After watching the movie I went to go watch interviews with Ian McShane, just to make sure he wasn't as in as poor health as Al. I mean, man's a lot more hound-faced than he was thirteen years ago, his wrinkles have folds, but in his interviews he's quick and sharp. I can't think of any better actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ax5d54Y5c

"Al and Seth Ride the High Country"

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

AlternateAccount posted:

Justified is A+ and makes you wish Walt Goggins was in Deadwood somewhere.

Once Justified gets out of the first couple episodes of the first season it rolls along wonderfully. It pulls from the outstanding writing of Elmore Leonard and gives us some of the best co-star baddies in series TV; Jere Burns as Wynn Duffy, Damon Herriman as Dewey Crowe, Jeremy Davies as Dickie Bennett, Margo Martingdale as Mags Bennett, and Neal McDonough as Quarles just to name a few.

Probably one of the most satisfying series endings as well. I walked away very satisfied.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tomapot posted:

Once Justified gets out of the first couple episodes of the first season it rolls along wonderfully. It pulls from the outstanding writing of Elmore Leonard and gives us some of the best co-star baddies in series TV; Jere Burns as Wynn Duffy, Damon Herriman as Dewey Crowe, Jeremy Davies as Dickie Bennett, Margo Martingdale as Mags Bennett, and Neal McDonough as Quarles just to name a few.

Probably one of the most satisfying series endings as well. I walked away very satisfied.

When Dewey Crowe showed up in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I begin frantically hoping Walton Goggins would show up somewhere to complete the Justified cameos.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AllisonByProxy posted:

Watch Justified.

After watching the series and the movies in the last month, I really want to. If everyone keeps saying more and more Deadwood actors show up.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not every one. I, for one, would like to know what happened to Blazanov and the

CHEYANNE AND BLACK HILLS TELEGRAPH COMPANY

Yeah, where did Blazanov go? He was always fun.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 7, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Run out of town by an Edison man.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

https://mzsworldstore.com/products/the-deadwood-bible-a-lie-agreed-upon-paperback

This might be of interest to anyone else who can’t get enough of Deadwood.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

SuperTeeJay posted:

https://mzsworldstore.com/products/the-deadwood-bible-a-lie-agreed-upon-paperback

This might be of interest to anyone else who can’t get enough of Deadwood.

Chapter Eight: Celestials and Cocksuckers

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Just rewatched it all for the fourth time. Deadwood is such a profoundly important show. While I would never disagree with someone saying The Sopranos is a more vital show in general Deadwood is firmly my favorite show of all time. Sopranos is a show about the end of things, its literally one of the first lines of the show, while Deadwood is about the beginning. Deadwood is clearly, and contrary to its "hard edged western" aesthetic, a show about the power of radical empathy in burgeoning communities. Al Swearengen is obviously the focal point of this thesis and no character, other than Homicide's Frank Pembleton, has ever struck such a resonant chord in me. He defines both the grotesque inhumanity of cis white male oppression, both in how it damages him and his "employees" and the restorative healing that comes from genuine long term community engagement. Capitalism is the greatest villain of the show as exemplified by Hearst, but in general I've never seen anything understand the toxic nature of capital as well as Deadwood. All of the cast is perfect but I draw out special commendations for Brad Dourif's plea to God, Ray McKinnon's almost unbelievably kind portrayal of Reverend Smith, and Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane who never for a second slips into parody.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

McNutty posted:

Just rewatched it all for the fourth time. Deadwood is such a profoundly important show. While I would never disagree with someone saying The Sopranos is a more vital show in general Deadwood is firmly my favorite show of all time. Sopranos is a show about the end of things, its literally one of the first lines of the show, while Deadwood is about the beginning. Deadwood is clearly, and contrary to its "hard edged western" aesthetic, a show about the power of radical empathy in burgeoning communities. Al Swearengen is obviously the focal point of this thesis and no character, other than Homicide's Frank Pembleton, has ever struck such a resonant chord in me. He defines both the grotesque inhumanity of cis white male oppression, both in how it damages him and his "employees" and the restorative healing that comes from genuine long term community engagement. Capitalism is the greatest villain of the show as exemplified by Hearst, but in general I've never seen anything understand the toxic nature of capital as well as Deadwood. All of the cast is perfect but I draw out special commendations for Brad Dourif's plea to God, Ray McKinnon's almost unbelievably kind portrayal of Reverend Smith, and Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane who never for a second slips into parody.

This is a very good post and it's making me want to rewatch Deadwood again even though I watched it all again last year. I can't really rank shows, but thinking of some of the other big ones that have more going on than simply being entertaining like Sopranos or The Wire - they have their criticisms, but in comparison to Deadwood they feel myopic and cynical to me. Deadwood really gets into it, having the overarching conflict of the show being community formation against the interests of capital. You see the various characters and interests in the show picking their sides, or having sides picked for them. It plays into almost everything the show does. I don't think there is another TV show which has been as interested in the positive alternative to individualist pursuit of wealth as Deadwood is. Many shows portray the misery that ideology creates within individuals and their surroundings, but Deadwood really makes it feel like there was a chance here for something far better than what eventually took control. Like you said, the redemptive power of radical empathy in burgeoning communities. Something very good was beginning to happen in Deadwood before it was crushed under Hearst's boot. Not killed, but kept under control and only allowed to operate within the limits of irrelevancy.

It's a sad ending for the story but I think anything else would have been dishonest.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve been wanting some good Deadwood discussion, and didn’t want to clutter up the Wire thread with it, but I am too lazy and uncreative to make a new OP.

Also, since this show ended 17 years ago, and it was always very much a niche thing, I was afraid that any attempt at a new thread might die on the vine.

So I am bumping this, because I’m doing a rewatch, for the first time in several years.

It always struck me that one thing the show was about was the old world/old ways being dragged kicking and screaming into the new world, and during my rewatch I was really struck by this E.B. Farnum quote.

The context is, the town leadership, such as it is, is sitting down talking about what needs to happen going forward, and E.B. says this:

quote:

We’ll provide a few services, and use the lion’s share of revenues to pay the bribes. More than providing services to ‘em, taking peoples’ money is what makes organizations real… be they formal, informal, or temporary!

It just really struck me how accurate this quote was, in describing future society.

There are a lot of things we can discuss about this show, it’s very deep and rich in terms of dialogue and themes.

So, any hoopleheads, cocksuckers, or perambulators want to join in, feel free. First bottle’s on me.

I’m on season three now and somehow I’d totally forgotten Brian Cox and Omar Gooding showed up in this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had a whole-rear end vacation planned with lots of things to do to unwind after a trade show I worked through my damned birthday in May of 2019.

I made sure the motel I was gonna' be staying in had HBO for the release of the Deadwood movie that'd air during my stay. But then I checked in and they were marathonning the entire show in the lead-up to the movie and I wound up only leaving that motel for those three days to walk my dog.

I regret loving nothing. It's one of the best vacations I've ever had. Three days alone in a sleepy port town with my dog playing old King's Quest games and watchin' fuckin' Deadwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just wanna take the opportunity again to remind everybody just how loving absolutely goddamn incredible the opening of Deadwood is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H1BjPmEBm0

:perfect: