Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's because the Mosconi is supposed to be old, so whatever paint is on the side is supposed to have partially flaked off, I guess.

No, that's not correct at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Skunkrocker posted:

According to Kuma, this is better than anything in the Workshop. I don't know how I feel about being at the top of the trash heap, but hey.

Pretty sure there's already an official skin that's basically the same thing, unless that's the joke.

Well, ignoring the ugly as poo poo UAR skin, those other two are miles above what was in the workshop on day 1. I haven't really checked since but I imagine better ones will keep showing up.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Pretty sure there's already an official skin that's basically the same thing, unless that's the joke.

Honestly I forgot that existed, I was originally making this for the Loco but the Loco wear and tear looked kinda meh.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Don't worry. If it's anything like the old CS days, the credit will be stolen by someone CSBanana and the site will refuse to alter/edit the credits no matter what.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

Okay nevermind I'm back on board with ECMs. Being able to lock down the entire atrium (upper floors, even) on HoxBreak Day 2 :feelsgood:

I will say that at this point ECMs have the unfortunate situation of being stuck with the old downsides of both C4 and sentries. You can't unlock stuff AND use them offensively. You only get two and you better put them in perfect spots. I also wish they didn't have some of the most opaque mechanics in the game at this point. I'm also fairly certain that they still carry the other critical flaw of counting as an attack for the purposes of cop aggro. So in order to get the most out of them, you have to activate them in the middle of a ruckus. Except that anything that isn't immediately stunned by them is now going to be pissed off at you.

When they do work, I think they're actually pretty effective. In theory, they may have the greatest potential out of the offensive deployables, given the large effective radius, reusability, and general efficiency of dealing with spawns without cycling ammo. In practice, if your personal flowchart is kill cops -> kill more cops -> just keep killing cops then they don't really provide anything you want or need.

Though now I'm thinking about an ECM/Sentry build. Hmmmmm...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

John Murdoch posted:

if your personal flowchart is kill cops -> kill more cops -> just keep killing cops

there's other options?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

John Murdoch posted:

I will say that at this point ECMs have the unfortunate situation of being stuck with the old downsides of both C4 and sentries. You can't unlock stuff AND use them offensively. You only get two and you better put them in perfect spots. I also wish they didn't have some of the most opaque mechanics in the game at this point. I'm also fairly certain that they still carry the other critical flaw of counting as an attack for the purposes of cop aggro. So in order to get the most out of them, you have to activate them in the middle of a ruckus. Except that anything that isn't immediately stunned by them is now going to be pissed off at you.

When they do work, I think they're actually pretty effective. In theory, they may have the greatest potential out of the offensive deployables, given the large effective radius, reusability, and general efficiency of dealing with spawns without cycling ammo. In practice, if your personal flowchart is kill cops -> kill more cops -> just keep killing cops then they don't really provide anything you want or need.

Though now I'm thinking about an ECM/Sentry build. Hmmmmm...

By no stretch of the imagination do ECMs have the "highest offensive potential." At best, you have two "oh poo poo" buttons, each on a four-minute cooldown. Given that most heists either are not very long or require moving around a lot, ECMs are of decidedly little use in practice.

The point about ammo neutrality is a non-starter. Cops aren't going to die as va result of Feedback. Gotta use ammo for that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Renegret posted:

there's other options?

only for people who are bad at this game. :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

In theory, they may have the greatest potential out of the offensive deployables

No, they don't. ECM feedback will hard stop exactly zero enemies. You still have to go and shoot/stab/whatever every single enemy affected by feedback - in that sense they have the absolute least potential. You're supposing that the disabling/debuff power of ECMs is greater than any other deployable which directly impacts player success. The delta between "player shoots all these debuffed enemies" and "player just shoots everyone" is, at current player power, insignificant. Ergo, take a deployable which supports the second.

I know you love ECMs but there's no theory which supports that claim other than research chemicals. ;)

e: now that said, we all know the mantra of Payday 2 is "bring what you want, everything is viable" and I don't deny ECMs have some use, and hey sometimes they're fun. But if we're going deep theorycrafting nerd, no way in hell do they have the greatest potential for offensive use. Their potential at opening doors without keycards, though, is without peer.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 18, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wish you could ECM SWAT Turrets.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Bort Bortles posted:

I wish you could ECM SWAT Turrets.

You can, actually. Dropping an ECM anywhere on-map while a turret is live will make it switch teams and fire on cops instead of you. Unfortunately, it only lasts as long as your ECM duration - so at most, you get one minute of turret cover, and with crits/HE/explosives/molotovs being a thing, you can just destroy a turret (or send it into a repair state) literally faster than someone could deploy an ECM.

I think a reasonable upgrade to ECM/turret interaction is that if you ECM a turret directly - say there's a zone on the van itself where you apply the ECM - it goes friendly for a given period of time (say, double that of the ECM duration) and then permanently disables itself, that'd actually be pretty cool. But it's a real edge-case scenario considering how simple it is to just knock a turret out direct.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 18, 2016

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

For short heists with high-danger extractions like FF2 and FS2 where you have to cross streets under fire or any other situation where there's a predictable <5min window where wipes are most likely (dockbomb comes to mind), ECMs are honestly my favorite deployable. The worst part of them is that you need to invest in the decidedly lovely Covert Ops tree.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Tulip posted:

For short heists with high-danger extractions like FF2 and FS2 where you have to cross streets under fire or any other situation where there's a predictable <5min window where wipes are most likely (dockbomb comes to mind), ECMs are honestly my favorite deployable. The worst part of them is that you need to invest in the decidedly lovely Covert Ops tree.

And then you're stuck with ECMs for the other two days of a heist. And quite frankly, if crossing a street is too difficult to do without Feedback, I have no idea how you're getting through the rest of the heist assault waves.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I bring an ECM to Biker pro day 2. Day 1 as well if I have Jack of All Trades. It is still easily the worst deployable for loud not counting stealth centric items like body bags.

^ Feedback is a base function of ECMs now. I agree it's dumb to spec into them to use Feedback but for a short day taking one to help you rush it is in no way a bad thing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And yet it's STILL better than the sharpshooter tree, which is only useful for aggressive reload basic

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ya'll missed my point completely. Unless I overlooked something, Feedback can affect a theoretically infinite number of cops as long as they're within the radius (and in line of sight...maybe, because wonk rear end mechanics). Essentially, the potency of Feedback goes up the more cops there are in the area. Sentries can only ever shoot at a maximum of four six targets at a time (let's assume there's no weird instances of stray shots creating a vague splash effect, honestly I'm not even sure if that can happen), Mines, especially fire ones, can do area denial too but in a smaller radius and with different limitations, and ultimately both consume limited resources*.

The whole reason I stressed in theory is that there's no heist in the game which amounts to a featureless box of convenient ECM radius size where every cop on the map spawns in the same place, and generally speaking Technician's toys are "good enough" when used properly. But I was also thinking of spawn mechanics w/r/t efficiency and ammo conservation. At sufficiently high difficulty/skill level cops respawn so frequently that there's a pretty narrow line between wiping the same spawn point three times within 45 seconds or freezing those spawns in place with Feedback for the same duration*. Yeah, you'll have to eventually kill those cops, but you skipped the other two respawns in the process. (Also cops that don't shoot at you are ripe for melee kills, so that's another sideways point towards ammo conservation.)

The one mechanical thing I did forget about is breaking assault waves via number of kills OR time passed and I highly doubt the time gained via Feedback stacks up to the potential kills made within the same period, especially on DW where the passive timer is particularly punitive, IIRC. On the other hand, with so many heists employing infinite assaults nowadays, those restrictions also go out the window in those situations... As they also do on smaller maps where you're not necessarily going to be concerned with waiting for a break versus just getting the hell out.

Unsurprisingly, very little of this applies practically. :monocle: Sentries are all around better and Mines are more flexible thanks to the Mine/C4 split. Like I already said.

*There's actually a whole weird area here with Sentries since they can generally farm more ammo than it takes to deploy them but also have a nonzero time-to-kill.

Or maybe I'm just on drugs lol

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

For one point I like Stable Shot. The ace is not bad either although it is situational. The movement bonus in Rifleman basic is good, and High Value Target is good although the ace having a very specific range where it works is dumb.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Feedback can affect a theoretically infinite number of cops as long as they're within the radius (and in line of sight...maybe, because wonk rear end mechanics)...

The whole reason I stressed in theory is that there's no heist in the game which amounts to a featureless box of convenient ECM radius size where every cop on the map spawns in the same place, and generally speaking Technician's toys are "good enough" when used properly.

Or maybe I'm just on drugs lol

Hmmmmmmm

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Ya'll missed my point completely.

No, you made a bad one. We don't commit spherical heists in a vacuum, so, it's either "you made a bad point" or you literally made no point. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but I mean, if you really want to make the argument that "if you strip away everything that makes Payday and consider the existential ramifications of feedback," then, well, go for it.

I would also point out that disagreeing with your point doesn't mean "missing" it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Payday 2: shut up and click gaiden

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Psion posted:

We don't commit spherical heists in a vacuum

Can we though?? I'd also like it to be frictionless in an infinite potential well, if possible.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
it is very important to protect your hostages from the police

I assure you the hostages behind the desk were very safe. Not even Tom Cruise could rescue them.

I love trip mines so much now.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Renegret posted:

it is very important to protect your hostages from the police

I like piling them up right in front of the vault door and just plopping down a couple sentries to cover them.

When the vault is open I just chill there picking open deposit boxes, sipping my coffee and reading news on my phone. And listening to the constant TFUP, TFUP, TFUP, TFUP of the sentry guns accompanied by the pained cries of dying cops. It's a good relaxation techinque.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nordick posted:

I like piling them up right in front of the vault door and just plopping down a couple sentries to cover them.

When the vault is open I just chill there picking open deposit boxes, sipping my coffee and reading news on my phone. And listening to the constant TFUP, TFUP, TFUP, TFUP of the sentry guns accompanied by the pained cries of dying cops. It's a good relaxation techinque.
I will have to try this. Replacing booze with coffee.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Psion posted:

No, you made a bad one. We don't commit spherical heists in a vacuum, so, it's either "you made a bad point" or you literally made no point. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but I mean, if you really want to make the argument that "if you strip away everything that makes Payday and consider the existential ramifications of feedback," then, well, go for it.

I would also point out that disagreeing with your point doesn't mean "missing" it.

Well...

Psion posted:

No, they don't. ECM feedback will hard stop exactly zero enemies. You still have to go and shoot/stab/whatever every single enemy affected by feedback - in that sense they have the absolute least potential. You're supposing that the disabling/debuff power of ECMs is greater than any other deployable which directly impacts player success. The delta between "player shoots all these debuffed enemies" and "player just shoots everyone" is, at current player power, insignificant. Ergo, take a deployable which supports the second.
You seem to be judging ECMs solely on their ability to kill things and/or enable you to kill things. Except neither of those metrics had much to do with what I was saying; I was considering the more abstract goal of "make cops stop shooting at me/my team (or just keep away from an objective)" of which "kill them" is merely the most common, yet still temporary, option. A dead cop that respawns X seconds later (especially one killed at or close to his spawn point) is functionally identical to a stunned cop that returns to shooting at you after X seconds of ECM Feedback.

My post explicitly detailed all of the tangible reasons why ECMs still kinda suck compared to Sentries or even Mines. But those latter two do require more upkeep and resources than ECMs, while covering less overall ground and being harder to coordinate compared to Feedback's more or less omnipresent effect. In that sense Feedback surpasses them. But I was also quick to admit that Feedback loses that potential (or at the very least is plain unnecessary) if you're better at killing cops (and not dying in the process) than it is at stunning them. And more generally speaking, there's a question of value between pressing pause on (let's be generous) an entire assault for a more limited time versus more consistently and steadily entangling individual spawn points/choke points with Sentries or Mines.

So it sort of seems like you missed the point? Particularly the "but then I still have to go kill stunned enemies myself" thing. :shrug: On the other hand, it almost seems like we actually agree on their true efficacy when you take that bit about current player power into account?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

BillmasterCozb posted:

Payday 2: shut up and click gaiden

I am now emailing my horrible mixtape of Quad City DJs with the entire Payday 2 soundtrack to both OVERKILL and Simon Viklund in the hope that they collaborate with them to create something to surpass Don Act Dumb.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

A dead cop that respawns X seconds later (especially one killed at or close to his spawn point) is functionally identical to a stunned cop that returns to shooting at you after X seconds of ECM Feedback

Not really.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

I was considering the more abstract goal of "make cops stop shooting at me/my team (or just keep away from an objective)" of which "kill them" is merely the most common, yet still temporary, option. A dead cop that respawns X seconds later (especially one killed at or close to his spawn point) is functionally identical to a stunned cop that returns to shooting at you after X seconds of ECM Feedback.

Killing cops depletes spawn waves and causes fades/assault breaks far more efficiently/often/reliably/you name it than waiting for a timeout. So no, they aren't functionally identical. So even in the abstract, thirty seconds of cops not shooting you and grabbing their heads is less overall "not shoot time" than just burning through the spawn budgets - not particularly difficult, even on Deathwish.

And of course in practice we agree they're less useful in this regard, as you say.

The end state of enemies being "dead" is the single best way to complete literally any objective at any time in any heist. So I'd argue that anything which contributes best to players not being dead and enemies being very dead is in fact, the best choice. It's not "temporary" any more than ECM feedback's 4 minute timer is "temporary" :p

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
DV Train heist
General:
1. As always, no assets. No ziplines, only one thermal drill.
2. 40 bags of ammo. 4 cars (the last one is past the fence at the pallet factory). The turret is in the last one with ten of the bags.
3. The truck/boat can only carry four bags of ammo, and if things are loud you have to wait longer for it to drop them off and get back (it takes longer to keep the vehicle from being tracked). The securing location is randomized between the two possible positions for each trip- bain tells you where the next one will be when the vehicle that last left drops off the loot, so you have less time wasted to get to the new position.
4. This is the big one- all side doors on the train are magnetically sealed, and Bain can't open them. Instead of opening cars from the side, you have to go from the end of the train all the way down the middle, cracking into and then out of each vault (all of them have two doors), as well as opening cage doors inside some of the cars. A ladder will be placed to make getting into the train easier at the start, and doors between cars will be open.

In stealth:

1. Random guards can spawn inside traincars in stealth- now newer players can relive the classic Train Heist experience! There will be two of them spread randomly across all the compartments, inside and outside of vaults. These guards may be visible on cameras(cameras do not alert off of things on this map). These are forced kills, and thus forced pager uses.
2. Electronic failsafes will activate as you hack your way through the train- occasionally a side door will open, or a guard will be called to check on one of the security panels. Bain will let you know when the call goes out-like the timelocks in Diamond, you just need to not be there when the guard arrives. Otherwise, it's the usual deal with hacking junction boxes- you will still only need to do each one once.
3. If/when the third car opens in stealth, a chopper will arrive to drop off three additional guards. The first two, dropped off atop the bridge, will path all around the map, including the lower spawn and the plateau near the tunnel. The third guard will be dropped off atop the sawyard roof and path back and forth up there.

In Loud:

1. Additional, nastier sniper spawns, such as directly overlooking both escape areas. Overwatch (a whole ton of snipers spawn at once) can occur- Bain will warn you of this.
2. The drill will spawn in the worst places. Think river spawn, bottom of canyon, and on top of a container in the lumberyard.
3. Demo Teams will drop from a heli straight onto the top of the train. Bain will warn you of this.
4. Vaults will contain special combos.
5. The police are in control of the side doors: both doors will open as soon as you get parallel with them, opening the train up for enemies to arrive. When the first player bags a turret part, the police will close all the side doors again and try to create a choke point at the tunnel before flooding the train with enemy units.
7. Shields and cloakers will path to and camp loot securing locations as the vehicle begins to come back.
8. Additional spawnpoints, particularly by the lumberyard escape area.
9. Helicopter Turret arrives on conventional timer.
10. Winters arrives on conventional timer. Camps in valley below the train.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I remixed that skin.

<--- King of the shitpile.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Psion posted:

Killing cops depletes spawn waves and causes fades/assault breaks far more efficiently/often/reliably/you name it than waiting for a timeout. So no, they aren't functionally identical. So even in the abstract, thirty seconds of cops not shooting you and grabbing their heads is less overall "not shoot time" than just burning through the spawn budgets - not particularly difficult, even on Deathwish.

I did say I initially forgot about that part of it. Still not a factor in infinite assaults or shorter maps though. Also coincidentally 30 seconds every 4 minutes doesn't sound that far off from how assaults already work on DW. :v: Blah blah blah.

Psion posted:

The end state of enemies being "dead" is the single best way to complete literally any objective at any time in any heist. So I'd argue that anything which contributes best to players not being dead and enemies being very dead is in fact, the best choice. It's not "temporary" any more than ECM feedback's 4 minute timer is "temporary" :p

I'm not sure if I can wholly agree with that. Knowing the quirks of the spawn system, letting a black Dozer retreat off the map can absolutely be the superior option to going out of your way to kill him. Or hell, not killing the vault Dozers while doing the Overdrill. There's also the old kiting strategy for Park or the old exploit of using sentries to decoy entire assault waves away from the action. Older still was the advice to let the cops waste time getting to you, that way their replacements had to make the long walk to you too. Obviously nowadays things are different. Maybe things will get a bit more interesting again when the new difficulty stuff comes along.

I'll admit part of the appeal of Feedback for me is that it's, if not a totally viable option atm, at least an interesting alternative from the hundred different minor variations of kill kill kill kill that we already have. In before someone reposts that one comic edit. I may also be a teensy bit burnt out on excessive action thanks to Biker Heist being a pretty fine distillation of all the map design issues I hate in the game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Skunkrocker posted:

I remixed that skin.

<--- King of the shitpile.

Nice. Add a dumb taser sticker to it to increase its tackiness.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

I'll admit part of the appeal of Feedback for me is that it's, if not a totally viable option atm, at least an interesting alternative from the hundred different minor variations of kill kill kill kill that we already have.

Fair. Buff/debuff is something this game doesn't really do. Of course when you compare it to the trash fire which is Killing Floor 2, perhaps that's for the best overall.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Patch Notes:
• Tans have 30% resistance to SMGs, 50% resistance to shotguns, 70% resistance to pistols, 80% resistance to akimbos, 43% resistance to any weapon locked to automatic fire, 62% resistance to any weapon that can be suppressed, 35% resistance to any suppressed weapon, and are 10% more susceptible to sharp melee damage (but not piercing, slicing, stabbing, cleaving, impaling, or hacking)
• Lyrics have been added to all tracks
• Railings that you can't jump over have been placed around all ledges on every map
• Bulldozers now have a melee attack that can put you directly into custody

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You forgot the part when killing tan cops with pistols grants you an XP bonus, and also tans have 70% resistance to every pistol EXCEPT the Chimano 88, which only has 50% resistance.

The Anarcho is cool and good. This debate is dumb and bad.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Breaker legendary + judge legendary = why the gently caress don't we have golden armor yet

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This thing looks cool as poo poo and kinda reminds me of Borderlands somehow.

Vault Hunter Heist Pack when

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think the issue with buff/debuff in PD2 is that the devs have actually done a really good job of making guns feel like guns, e.g., they don't feel like water pistols that make the cops eventually give up with a smile and lie down because they are 'out'. The flip side of that is that we're fighting waves of cops rapid fire so they aren't on the map long enough for an X second stun to matter. We've increased EHP at the trade off of a longer assault wave, nothing gained. If they were on the map longer and each individual cop was worth more stunning would be good but then we'd all be playing Bullet Sponge Fun Time.

It's telling that the only time ECM Feedback was good (and even then only "good") was when there weren't a lot of good options to melt dozers.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

UnknownMercenary posted:

You forgot the part when killing tan cops with pistols grants you an XP bonus, and also tans have 70% resistance to every pistol EXCEPT the Chimano 88, which only has 50% resistance.

The Anarcho is cool and good. This debate is dumb and bad.

I swear this came straight out of a New Vegas mod I had ages ago, amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I am now emailing my horrible mixtape of Quad City DJs with the entire Payday 2 soundtrack to both OVERKILL and Simon Viklund in the hope that they collaborate with them to create something to surpass Don Act Dumb.

Is it on youtube and if not WHY